Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ending american hegemony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you put your cellphone under it and it kills all the germs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

brugroffil posted:

What is this used for

sex robot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

brugroffil posted:

What is this used for

Jel Shaker posted:

ending american hegemony

pretty much

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

no source , also that puts their development on par with asml 10 years ago, what really stretched the euv development timeline was maintaining a usable availability for manufacturing, that took the better part of a decade to accomplish

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
but-but-but low pH grape economists told me soon-to-be $20 per TB flash storage isn't supposed to happen on muh $13000 per capita geedeepees

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just think of the decoupled fabbing world R&D like fighter planes. 10 year behind isn't that bad.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

wet_goods posted:

no source , also that puts their development on par with asml 10 years ago, what really stretched the euv development timeline was maintaining a usable availability for manufacturing, that took the better part of a decade to accomplish

Cope

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wet_goods posted:

dont remember asking

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

it’s always projection

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just think of the decoupled fabbing world R&D like fighter planes. 10 year behind isn't that bad.

yeah the timescales are different in this business, who knows maybe they’ll be a net exporter of the tech eventually

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hot take: the chip thing isn't really that important compared to the other ways china is absolutely demolishing the empire and is given disproportionate attention both on this forum and elsewhere because the information sphere is dominated by IT men who think faster computer is the greatest power you can have.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Slavvy posted:

Hot take: the chip thing isn't really that important compared to the other ways china is absolutely demolishing the empire and is given disproportionate attention both on this forum and elsewhere because the information sphere is dominated by IT men who think faster computer is the greatest power you can have.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

America has 2 dozen types of pringles :911:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sure but in China they have squid flavored pringles.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Of course semicondutot is not as important as Biden make it out to be, it's about the only business they can put some quick points on the scoreboard thru presidential executive orders. Like who is looking at EV battery, solar panel, drones, supercomouter, civic-military fusion ship buidling etc etc they can't turn a quick win.

Also, excuse to force TSMC move half of the business to the US is pretty sweet.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

wet_goods posted:

Sure, but last year they were a lot more than 10 years behind asml.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Slavvy posted:

Yes but also it is funny to watch IT people insist they’re not owned yet

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Sure, but last year they were a lot more than 10 years behind asml.

It is also one of those things is even if they don’t fully close the gap, being a generation behind in a die shrink probably isn’t going to be the end for the world especially with China’s potential economy of scale.

It isn’t like the 70s when the Soviets were really trying to put together it’s computer industry from nearly nothing.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:32 on Apr 29, 2023

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
yeah people are focusing on the wrong things and drawing incorrect conclusions from copy pasta about technology demos. for example china is building their semiconductor industry the correct way and the way that everyone else who has had any success building that industry has done, from the ground up in a way that cultures an ecosystem of mutual support. they have produced components for years and are arriving at the end of the journey to build the most complex parts. countries like Saudi Arabia ( somebody posted something about sa wanting to build a fab in neom city in here and how it spelled the end of the west or something) and probably India are doomed if they attempt to start from the top (finished semiconductors) without investing and developing over many years the supporting technologies that make the industry work.

wet_goods has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Apr 29, 2023

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Centrist Committee posted:

oh sweet i hope "the commies are massive drunks" is the latest paranoid projection of the dying empire

This is from the publication sixth tone which is an English language Chinese news source published by the communist party in Shanghai.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

Yes but also it is funny to watch IT people insist they’re not owned yet

This is true, many sides

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Lol, this is certainly a take. What cia big brain came up with this. Pretty sure the mongols took over China, established the Yuan dynasty, was then over thrown by contingents of locals as well as other disgruntled Mongolian factions establahing the Ming Dynasty.

Mongolia as a country came about due to Soviet influence, so theoretically China is the direct successor of the Yuan Dynasty and all Mongolian territory. See, I can play this game too.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Apr 30, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Lol, this is certainly a take. What cia big brain came up with this. Pretty sure the mongols took over China, established the Yuan dynasty, was then over thrown by contingents of locals as well as other disgruntled Mongolian factions establahing the Ming Dynasty.

Mongolia as a country came about due to Soviet influence, so theoretically China is the direct successor of the Yuan Dynasty and all Mongolian territory. See, I can play this game too.

The ROC already says Mongolia is part of China

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

GlassEye-Boy posted:

she seems happy to me

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Benagain posted:

This is from the publication sixth tone which is an English language Chinese news source published by the communist party in Shanghai.

So the strongest Chinese Liberals then.

Xinhua, People's Daily, China Daily, etc. all having hyperlinks to each other is more indicative of a party paper these days which Sixth Tone isn't included in.

Danann has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Apr 30, 2023

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Turanism probably gets support from the CIA, but it's been a kook fixation for people within the "Turanian" umbrella for a long time. For example, trying to count Japan among the pan-Turanian world
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=622796056539493&set=ecnf.100064273136183

Tibet isn't considered a part of Great Turan though

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Turanism probably gets support from the CIA, but it's been a kook fixation for people within the "Turanian" umbrella for a long time. For example, trying to count Japan among the pan-Turanian world
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=622796056539493&set=ecnf.100064273136183

Tibet isn't considered a part of Great Turan though

Turks and Japanese botj got the Mongolian Spot, they speak agglutinatively, respect their ancestors. checks out

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the strongest turanists are turks who become mad when their DNA tests come back like 95% greek.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
china having ethnic mongolians living in the country, something that's been the case for centuries - detestable imperialism and colonialism

wanting to cobble together some megastate from literally a dozen countries, most of which have little in common and none of which actually want any of that - noble aspiration for freedom and self-determination

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1652491787972354048?s=20

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

mongolia doesn't even use mongolian script anymore (replaced with cyrillic) while inner mongolia autonomous region still does

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

it owns how china watchers say china will never have good ICE tech and then got completely blindsided by how fast china is at mastering EVs

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

brugroffil posted:

What is this used for

Production of very small semiconductors. There's only one company in the world that has EUV fabricators and they're legally forbidden from selling to China.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
soon, China will craft The One Chip to Rule Them All ...

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i just wanna see a compilation of articles since like the 70s or whatever of "no way the chinese are ever gonna be able to make this stuff!" in whatever industry, and then then articles saying they are market leaders now or whatever.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao, the Chinese consumer class is growing and they need fancy cars.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The Germany mega car brands probably have dirt on the green parties, and they will unleash it and put their pro business party back in the government.

How else can you explain the current Germany industry and foreign policies are moving in different directions.

When Barebock were sent to China by Blenkin to say anti One China Policy stuff, China made her visit one of the Germany factory (edit she visited 3) and they told her there was no forced labor in Xinjiang. And the Chinese made her take the HSR to Beijing. Lol.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Apr 30, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They need Chinese manufacturing to stay afloat because domestic manufacturing is a smoking crater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
If the German Greens survive then Germany is doomed lol. Imagine getting your bespoke eco-friendly third party into power just to expand coal extraction