Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Chad Sexington posted:

Just bagged up some seeds for sprouting.

I am like babby this year: yellow ghosts, yellow manzanos (last year's plants were stunted so never got fruit), carolina cayennes, early jalapenos, and ancho poblanos.

My audience for sauces skews away from superhots I have found, so I'm leaning into stuff with many uses.

That's a good selection for flavor though! I bet you could make some absolutely killer salsa or sauces with all of those.

I just moved to a new apartment last fall and it's got a south side balcony so I'm going to try some self-wicking buckets for mine and strap them to the railing as they grow because of wind.

I've got a few little seedlings going already that are looking great under my indoor LED bulb. I got all my seeds from fataliiseeds this year.

Bangalore Whippet's Tail and Thunder Mountain Longhorn for really super long cool looking 'mild' ones, two Hurt Berry superhots, a yellow Fatalii, and some short bushy one called a Cha Cha that I want to hopefully turn into a little bonsai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Found it for cheap and can give a solid rec for the Aka Miso from Bravado---decent funk and on the inherently stronger side as far as heat goes:

https://www.bravadospice.com/product/aka-miso-ghost-reaper-hot-sauce

Would've been better had they went the extra mile for full on shichimi togarashi---but I guess I can always touch it up with a bit of my Ocean's Halo bottle or some such. Feels Like it could play well blended into a thick brisket sauce.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What's a good "chocolate habanero" sauce I can order online? I fell in love with one that's sold in a very particular place in a distant country and I've been chasing that dragon since. The heat level on the chocolate habanero is about perfect - comparable heat will do. Thanks!

Grabbed Heartbreaking Dawn's SouthWest Habanero because it kept popping up and had chocolate habanero as the first ingredient.

Satisfying for heat - almost - but overall not something I'm likely to grab again. First off I think a carrot base for chocolate habanero is a mistake until I'm proven otherwise. It loves tomato. But the carrot base can be forgiven. Unfortunately, apple cider vinegar is the second ingredient and its a dealbreaker here. Needs less ACV first of all and second the proportion is absolutely smothering the heat that's begging to come through (obviously this is the intention, it's just overdone).

It's not so bad I won't finish the bottle or anything but surely there's better sauces out there.

Thanks to the thread for the Marie Sharpe Habanero recommendation. Great daily driver. I'll probably grab the gold label for this one next.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Asking here instead of the gardening thread because I see there are pepper growers here, and my lines of questioning as much culinary as horticultural.

I'm getting a late start for (US) zone 9 but whatever, we can get away with a lot down here because we don't really have what the other, sillier zones call "winter." I was planning on planting the following:
Gatherers gold x2
Grenada seasoning x1
Zapotec jalapeno x2-3
Golden cayenne x1
????? x1

The "?????" was going to be more golden cayennes, but Refining Fire threw in some freebies with my order: Onza Roja and 7-pot bubblegum red. I'm curious about the Onza Roja. Seems like it's mostly a drying chile but could maybe be a stand-in for serranos in salsa? I do want enough jalapenos and cayennes to make some batches of fermented hot sauce and pepper jelly to gift out around Christmas time so I'm leery of spreading myself too thin.

I don't see any point in growing the 7-pots. I'm good up to habanero levels of heat. Beyond that I find that any flavor gets lost beneath "holy gently caress hot hot hot" -- and the threshold is much lower if I want anyone else in my family to eat it. Presumably a 1M SHU pepper would need so much dilution that it just becomes a heat source and any unique flavor would be lost, yes?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

7 Pots are pretty fun, honestly. You're not into Carolina Reaper territory and there is still a lot of the sweet, jammy flavor of the pepper itself before the heat hits. We grow Barrackpore 7-Pot almost every year.

Edit: This little guy is also a banger. Absolutely delicious in sauce.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i love all Capsicum Chinense. my favorite plants in the world. they can kick my rear end up and down the street, i'm up for it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'd grow the Onza Roja for sure if you have the space. It should be a nice mild one for salsas and drying. I'd probably compare it more to a fresno but with heat like a serrano. If you're not limited on space, grow the 7-pot for fun or don't. You can use one fruit for about 2 pints of salsa and it'll be plenty hot, but I don't know the spice comfort levels you're dealing with. You can add them sparingly into other places or go full out with making a hot-hot sauce.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I would grow the Onzas, no reason you can't throw those in with your hot sauces and jellies too.

Although sometimes it is fun to grow the wackier looking super hots just for the novelty.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The onzas are bagged and set aside to germinate. I was mainly worried they were only good dried as that's most of what I read online. I don't want to buy a dehydrator and drying hot peppers in the oven will presumably get me murdered in my sleep so fresh/pickled applications are essential.

uber_stoat posted:

i love all Capsicum Chinense. my favorite plants in the world. they can kick my rear end up and down the street, i'm up for it.

I'll probably grow a hab or scotch bonnet once I narrow the field a bit. I'm the only one in my family who will eat anything spicier than restaurant salsa (although my 3 year old is working his way up :3:) so I'm going for a broader survey of mild-to-medium first to figure out what I might actually get some use out of.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Look at Trinidad Scorpion seeds. You'll get a little more heat than habs and a LOT more flavor. I think habanero is easily the worst and most useless pepper.

RE: dried peppers, you don't need anything other than some room and air. I've been drying poo poo loads of peppers for years and it is literally just a few trays in my laundry room. It can lead to some spicy laundry and a pissed off spouse but she's figuring it out.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm too lazy/busy to start seeds. Where can I get more exotic hot pepper plants already ready to put in? Beyond what home depot would have. I'm in northern virginia. I'll try my local farmers market I guess.

In year 2 at my new house. Last year the stuff I just crammed in the ground south facing, no soil amending grew the best.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I got my seeds from superhotchiles.com (purely because someone screenshotted their cart upthread) and they sell plants too, although they were all "coming soon."

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm too lazy/busy to start seeds. Where can I get more exotic hot pepper plants already ready to put in? Beyond what home depot would have. I'm in northern virginia. I'll try my local farmers market I guess.

In year 2 at my new house. Last year the stuff I just crammed in the ground south facing, no soil amending grew the best.

Yeah superhotchilies.com sells starts of most of their seeds but I would check often because I think they have a tendency to sell out quicker than the seeds.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I’m waiting for my visa in Singapore, have been spending time wandering around grocery stores and wet markets trying to get a handle on what is available and how broke I am gonna be trying to buy food here.

Looking to find a hot sauce that is not Tabasco - no luck so far. Looked at a local online place and the cheapest I can get tapatio is 16 us earth dollars for a normal size bottle

Lord have mercy

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That’s odd, I would have thought a food city like Singapore would have some good/interesting options.

Maybe everyone just wants chili oil (which is very good)

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
oh for sure, you can find all sorts of chinese/indonesian/malay/indian sauces and pickles and what not, and our fridge is full of them, but sometimes I just wanna make a simple quesadilla at home and want my regular hot sauce, ya know? :D

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just bought some pepper plants. Assuming they grow, what are some neat recipes these types might be good for?

Tabasco

Shishito

Thai Super Hot

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

Just bought some pepper plants. Assuming they grow, what are some neat recipes these types might be good for?

Tabasco

Shishito

Thai Super Hot

Ferment the Tabasco and turn it into vinegar sauce.

Eat all the shishitos by either pan frying or quick grilling.

Make lots of Thai Super Hot curry and stir fry dishes all summer, then dry the rest and use them all winter in stir fry dishes. These can also be pickled and used like that too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

Make lots of Thai Super Hot curry and stir fry dishes all summer, then dry the rest and use them all winter in stir fry dishes. These can also be pickled and used like that too.

Excellent ideas!

Any recipes for how to use the Thai peppers for curry? I've made fermented hot sauce before, but I usually just buy Golden Curry roux blocks lol.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Jhet posted:

Thai bird chilies freeze really well too

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Blistered shishito peppers are way, way up there on the pepper pantheon for me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
shishitos are indeed very good in a veggie stir fry. or you can just char them and eat 'em by themselves. they aren't very hot with the occasional outlier so you can just snack away.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

I'd grow them, but I can just buy them by the giant bag for $3 most of the year. What I'm saying is we eat a lot of blistered shishito peppers.

Annath posted:

Excellent ideas!

Any recipes for how to use the Thai peppers for curry? I've made fermented hot sauce before, but I usually just buy Golden Curry roux blocks lol.

Thai curry paste is much different than the Japanese curry roux blocks.

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-red-curry-paste-recipe/ This will get you pretty close, but you can replace the peppers with the ones you grow, but may want to partially replace with a serrano or fresno unless you like it plenty hot. It's a much different flavor profile with a lot more funk from the shrimp paste, but don't skip it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My favorite roasted pepper recipe is rajas con crema

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I’d like to put in a plug for the “Fresh Finds” hot sauces sold at Big Lots. In particular, their Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce.

It’s a solid superhot hot sauce, although I’d put it on the milder end of that. More complex than a pepper mash sauce, but not by a lot. It’s a touch heavy on the salt for my taste, but I’m more sensitive to that than most. Overall I’d say it’s not amazing, but it’s quite decent.

It’s also $1.50 US per bottle. At that price point, it has absolutely no flaws that I’m unwilling to overlook.

Their pineapple habanero sauce is the same price and is also good. Their ghost pepper sauce tastes like a completely generic ghost pepper sauce, which I’m bored enough with in general to write off.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

mischief posted:

One restaurant offers blistered shishitos on a fajita like hot plate. It never fails to inspire 3-4 copycats every time we order it.

I miss my bougie grocery store that had a big section of shishitos. I’d get a big bag and blister a handful at a time as a cooking snack.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Threw some shishitos on the grill over some inferno-hot lump charcoal yesterday before I put on the main course. Hadn't made them in ages but y'all reminded me that they exist. 5/5 easiest appetizer ever, no pics because they basically vanished immediately.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

There's the added bonus that if you're willing to haaafffhshashachasha you can sneak a few right off the grill as your own app while you cook.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

mischief posted:

There's the added bonus that if you're willing to haaafffhshashachasha you can sneak a few right off the grill as your own app while you cook.

I'm always willing to haaafffhshashachasha

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Totally, if the roof of your mouth isn't hanging in shreds you've been missing opportunities

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Buggery and damnation. My garden centre pulled a fast one on me.

I grabbed a couple trays of seedlings, brought em home and plugged em into the dirt. When I went to plant the tags to keep track of what's where, I found out my tray of habaneros was actually a tray of stupid mariachi peppers. I can't make good hot sauce with sweet peppers, dangit.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Has anyone here tried the various Matouk's sauces? I have the Calypso currently and it's just a little too hot for my tastes - but the flavor is awesome. Unfortunately, I can't see to find a comparison among them anywhere online. I can also get their Salsa Picante and Hot Pepper Sauce locally - are either of those as intensely fruity, but with less heat? Or does anyone have a recommendation for a fruity hot sauce that isn't as hot as Calypso?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The mustard in the Calypso Matouks does a lot of heavy lifting. I don’t know that I’ve encountered anything like it. There’s been a lot of hot mustards, but nothing quite like it for me that isn’t a riff on the same sauce with the same heat level.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I think the Salsa Picante and Hot Pepper Sauce are the same bottle? I'm pretty sure that one is hotter than the Calypso. I've tried the West Indian Hot Sauce and from what I remember it's milder but doesn't have quite the same fruit flavors of the Calypso. It must not have been very memorable because I went back to the Calypso even though it is a touch too hot for how thick it is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Human Tornada posted:

I think the Salsa Picante and Hot Pepper Sauce are the same bottle? I'm pretty sure that one is hotter than the Calypso. I've tried the West Indian Hot Sauce and from what I remember it's milder but doesn't have quite the same fruit flavors of the Calypso. It must not have been very memorable because I went back to the Calypso even though it is a touch too hot for how thick it is.

This is exactly how I feel - it's too thick to add it to a lot of things, I'm thinking I'll start mixing in a bit of honey and start using it in limited quantities as a marinade for chicken. I love the flavor but I wish the heat were turned just a bit down.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Mix it with a healthy amount of yellow mustard and mango puree (or honey) and a lil melted butter (if that's your thing) for an unbelievable wing sauce

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 19, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Human Tornada posted:

Mix it with a healthy amount of yellow mustard and mango puree (or honey) and a lil melted butter (if that's your thing) for an unbelievable wing sauce

Looks like I'm buying some wings next week, this is an excellent idea. Thanks!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.yaisthai.com/products/chili-garlic-hot-sauce Most enjoyable Thai sauce in a long time, likely due to simply not putting other stuff into the mix beyond The Thai up front----finest $3 on taking a chance in awhile~

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Finally have a ripe hurt berry pod, the inside is coated with pure capsaicin oil. It smells so hot but incredibly fruity.

I've got about two dozen more of these on the way, I think I'm just going to dehydrate pieces of them and vacuum seal them to add to other sauces and dishes.

I'm also growing a ton of these milder cayenne-style "Bangalore Whippets Tail" so I might try those as a base to a sauce and add a HB for heat.

Any other ideas for what to do with peppers that are too hot to use fresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Ferment and mash is a popular route. Vinegar can cut out a lot of the heat. You can also make a proper sauce with vinegar and tomato, since tomato will also cut it, and something like pineapple will also help if you wanted or didn't mind something fruity. Regular sugar is also an option for tempering down heat.