Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

There goes my target… off into the sunset. Not quite sure what to do here. I siekered him in the VIP bar bit of Dubai and he walked off towards the stage (in a direct line, talking straight over the railing, and then… kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The sequel to Being There we didn't know we were getting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

There goes my target… off into the sunset. Not quite sure what to do here. I siekered him in the VIP bar bit of Dubai and he walked off towards the stage (in a direct line, talking straight over the railing, and then… kept going.

This happened to me in Bangkok and I sniped her with the pistol. She came back to alert a guard and ended up under the map until I threw a duck down there and she teleported back up to the level.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
So, I've only been playing Freelancer for about a week now because of my issues with my graphics card in the last couple of months.

I've sunk hundreds of hours into this game since 2016 so I'm not a novice at this game by any means - but so far I'm not very impressed with Freelancer mode.

Don't get me wrong, it's something new to do and it's content and of course I'm going to do all the challenges and get all the items and whatnot - but the mode is quite fucky to put it bluntly.

More often than not I'll get a list of tasks like:
- make target slip
- knock target out with a baseball bat
- hide target bodies
- prestige: silent assassin
- only one target

This is literally impossible because the tasks exclude each other. If a target slips, you need to have the body found to knock it out again thereby failing silent assassin and hiding bodies.

My personal "favourite" is, blow up the safe when there is no safe on the map.

It just doesn't seem very well thought out.

Also, someone earlier posted that you can trigger unlocks in the tools category by selecting the side that you want from the box? As in, if you pick the item on the right you are going to trigger more new items from the tool case in your base on the right hand side? That poo poo does not work for me at all.
I've been doing that for dozens of missions in order to unlock the sieker and tranq gun and I only ever get trash from the loot box.

Everything about Freelancer mode just feels clunky to me.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The loot box you get every time you return to the safe house has three items in it, which will go into preassigned spots in one of the three crates in the mission planning room. The item on the left of the box will always be an item that fits into the left crate, the middle item in the box goes to the middle crate, etc, so if there's a specific item you want, getting other items for the same crate will improve your odds (since it won't give you an item you already have), but hoping for a specific item is always a long bet, until the relevant crate is nearly full.

As for the objectives, yes. They are very dumb sometimes, doubly so for the optional prestige objectives, which early on will constantly ask you to use weapons you have no way of getting your hands on, or stuff like "open safe - explosive" when there are literally no missions available with safes in them. Often times they will be contradictory and thus impossible to complete them all. The good news is that optional objectives are very much optional, and the rewards are very weak compared to the risk of failing a mission trying to complete them. Only go for optional objectives if you're confident you have the tools and skills (particularly, map knowledge) to pull them off safely.

Later on, as you unlock more stuff, including a higher gear cap and "free" loot scattered around the safehouse, it gets a lot easier to get your hands on the tools you need.

And never feel bad about smashing Alt-F4 to cheat out of a death.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The prestige objectives stay the same until you finish a mission, so if you end up with one that's incompatible with or ill-suited for the mission you currently have selected, you can back out and pick a different mission that works better with the PO. Not always helpful, but you have a little bit of leeway, at least

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The_Doctor posted:

Somehow half of Colombia managed to see me dart someone while crouching in a bush in the coca fields. Luckily, I made it to the helicopter right there before I died and lost all my good gear. Mission failed, but it's fine. I didn't get shot and then condescended to death by Diana.

as annoying as the coca fields are to infiltrate, they're a fantastic place to escape after getting spotted - loads of ground cover, good amount of regular cover, bunch of small buildings, and yes, a functioning escape route that doesn't need a key or anything

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lollerich posted:

More often than not I'll get a list of tasks like:
- make target slip
- knock target out with a baseball bat
- hide target bodies
- prestige: silent assassin
- only one target

This is literally impossible because the tasks exclude each other. If a target slips, you need to have the body found to knock it out again thereby failing silent assassin and hiding bodies.
I prioritize optional objectives by payout. If I have a $3000 SA, and a $500 payout that conflicts with SA like killing 3 guards, I'm skipping the cheap one to get more money.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dabir posted:

Right, but other remote and prox devices are big firey explosions of shrapnel, which you wouldn't expect a briefcase to contain, whereas the gas bomb is a cloud of noxious gas, which you would. Also, the fact that it leaves a ghost of the device behind in the air and guards try and pick it up suggests it wasn't intentional to me.

IOI should patch it so that after you set the gas off, it doesn't get released until you stash something else in the case, or you get frisked while holding it. Thunderpants the friskers.

Between how long it's been in play and the flak they got from dropping the electrophone in Hitman 3, I doubt they'll change it at this point. They may fix the phantom weapon, but I suspect that's harder than the relatively minor upside is worth.

RIP ElectroPhone. Always in our hearts, but sadly no longer in our pockets :(

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Finally cleared the ex-dictators after about 25 tries, and cleared our friend the improbable Nazi in only two- thanks so much for your help! I'm about halfway through the whole arcade. Now, back to the escalation and featured target grind...

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Whenever I watch a walkthrough and they say something like "Oh, it's really easy actually, you just do this", I call it John Virgo's Trick Shot, or a Virgo for short. The first time I remember thinking of this was someone shooting the bale of hay from the house in Colorado and telling us all that it's really quite simple.

https://youtu.be/Sj_zcM3j5No

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:rip: The Rage, whose fighting style has one weakness: walking next to an exploding motorcycle.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

destination: chongqing, gasless city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP-8O9i1Y6A

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Hardcore Freelancer has been absolutely ruthless with me.

Lost a whole bunch of legendary equipment to ridiculous situations, some my fault and some… well I’ll let the thread be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVmgdb5bjo

I don’t even know. :geno:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you're doing a New York showdown, what does finding a security room full of chloroformed guards do for suspects or lookouts if they see it? Do they go in to check on the bodies and get chloroformed too, or do the suspects run/lookouts raise the alarm?

Finally got around to trying this out and recording it:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1806842839?t=1273s

Seems like a great strat. The last time I tried a showdown on New York I was much less familiar with the map. This time I knew exactly how to do the gas setup and I knocked out my target beforehand so I could still try this out without failing the campaign.

Most of the suspects and their assassins walked right into the gas room. One suspect tried to flee instead, but he went to the parking garage which I had already cleared out so I just shot him. I'm wondering if he would have gassed himself if I had taken the time to pull all the bodies further into the room instead of letting them sit in the doorway.

In the end I still had one whole network on the upper floors completely untouched but I think it's safe to say if you can set up the gas room and get phones, you can use this strat during a showdown with few problems.

I'm still not sure what will happen if a lookout sees the bodies, there were none in the vault area.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 29, 2023

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It has nothing to do with the crowbar, you don't even have that in your hands. They were already searching for you (SEARCHING in the minimap), and you just happened to get seen by an enforcer guard that approached you while you were buying from the Supplier.

And btw what is up with the colors on that video?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Rythian posted:

It has nothing to do with the crowbar, you don't even have that in your hands. They were already searching for you (SEARCHING in the minimap), and you just happened to get seen by an enforcer guard that approached you while you were buying from the Supplier.

And btw what is up with the colors on that video?

The title is a joke, I’m just stunned that bodyguard took his sweet time getting to the basement because usually they drop the « suspicious » status fairly quickly (he spotted me by the freaking kitchen !) NPCs don’t chase you across the map like heat seeking missiles for seeing through your disguise 2 minutes ago. That guy had absolutely no way to know my current position. I thought it could have been the camera but when NPCs spot you that way you get the yellow indicator.

Sorry if the colors are weird, that’s probably HDR messing with things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The_Doctor posted:

Like all the skills 47 learns, he regularly huffs his own farts so he doesn’t succumb to the gasses.

Shitman

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

The title is a joke, I’m just stunned that bodyguard took his sweet time getting to the basement because usually they drop the « suspicious » status fairly quickly (he spotted me by the freaking kitchen !) NPCs don’t chase you across the map like heat seeking missiles for seeing through your disguise 2 minutes ago. That guy had absolutely no way to know my current position. I thought it could have been the camera but when NPCs spot you that way you get the yellow indicator.

Sorry if the colors are weird, that’s probably HDR messing with things.
Yeah you got massively unlucky for sure. RIP your campaign. I'm staying far away from Hardcore due to stuff like that, really.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I continue to be astonished by the thought process that went into the Sloth escalation in particular. With the other sins I can at least see how the devs could have thought it was a good idea-Greed, for instance, is mostly held back by its length and some of the jank associated with coins (and a really ill-considered "no illegal actions" on level 3). Sloth punishes you at every turn, right down to a voice constantly mocking you throughout, in contradiction with every single option the game normally provides.

The levels themselves are also unmitigated bullshit, because a lot of NPC behaviors appear to be proximity triggered, which makes trying to do things an unpredictable mess. Many of the elements of the levels are also basically traps- they exist only for you to waste time attempting them, or can only be used to cause a failure.

The only way to clear it is by repeatedly faceplanting into an entire spectrum of punitive feedback responses, to the point that the voice literally tells you that at the start of level 2. It's the game punishing you for interacting with it in any way.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 14, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't recall having any real issues with Sloth's escalation, but I'm already super lazy about them as it is

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Do you happen to get map mastery experience for doing community made missions? I'm not really into grinding out challenges most of the time, but some unlocks are really cool and good.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

ZearothK posted:

Honestly Fart Case and Sieker are so OP that I refuse to use them. :colbert:

Same, particularly the farter as it seems like an exploit. I also haven't alt-f4d....yet

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Theotus posted:

Do you happen to get map mastery experience for doing community made missions? I'm not really into grinding out challenges most of the time, but some unlocks are really cool and good.

I remember with Hitman 2 I ocassionally came across contracts designed to farm mastery XP in the Contracts search results. Just the default starting location, a couple targets nearby (or closer to the nearest exit) and that's it. I assume people still ended up creating those for H3, if you didn't want to go through Featured Contracts.

Same goes for contracts designed to help out with the Chameleon challenge on each map, by pointing out disguises that are one of a kind and/or don't stand out. Like the race car driver signing autographs in Miami.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 30, 2023

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh, joy. I just un-installed the game and re-installed and it's still crashing every time I change outfit in Freelancer in the safe house. I really loving hope the patch fixes this when it finally comes out.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Hardcore Freelancer has been absolutely ruthless with me.

Lost a whole bunch of legendary equipment to ridiculous situations, some my fault and some… well I’ll let the thread be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVmgdb5bjo

Possibilities here, I guess:

1) The CICADA Bodyguard was on some kind of route that took him downstairs and was an enforcer of the same outfit, as many of them are. I know main mission bodyguards will wander if their target is gone, which I encounter a lot because I'm using the Variations mod which removes the main targets but not their bodyguards, but on stock Paris if you haven't hurt Victor or Dalia that shouldn't happen.

2) Breaking open the door attracted the attention of an NPC who either was a CICADA Bodyguard or who reported it to a CICADA Bodyguard, and that bodyguard was closer to the main stairwell than to the side entrance and came down those stairs instead, spotting you (due to being a disguise enforcer) in the hallway. I experimented and couldn't find anyone on Master Paris who can overhear that, however.

3) Somehow a camera spotted you before that. Possibly sliding down the pipe, if you did that?

4) Two guards happened to be taking weapons to the box in the basement security room, one was an enforcer.

Otherwise I'm at a loss as to why multiple guards would be pathing that way.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Nakar posted:

Possibilities here, I guess:

1) The CICADA Bodyguard was on some kind of route that took him downstairs and was an enforcer of the same outfit, as many of them are. I know main mission bodyguards will wander if their target is gone, which I encounter a lot because I'm using the Variations mod which removes the main targets but not their bodyguards, but on stock Paris if you haven't hurt Victor or Dalia that shouldn't happen.

2) Breaking open the door attracted the attention of an NPC who either was a CICADA Bodyguard or who reported it to a CICADA Bodyguard, and that bodyguard was closer to the main stairwell than to the side entrance and came down those stairs instead, spotting you (due to being a disguise enforcer) in the hallway. I experimented and couldn't find anyone on Master Paris who can overhear that, however.

3) Somehow a camera spotted you before that. Possibly sliding down the pipe, if you did that?

4) Two guards happened to be taking weapons to the box in the basement security room, one was an enforcer.

Otherwise I'm at a loss as to why multiple guards would be pathing that way.

Hey thanks for the reply Nakar, always nice to benefit from your knowledge.

1 - I'm playing on PS4 so no mods, this was freelancer so Dahlia and Victor were fine that game. I ran across victor and his bodyguard outside the kitchen and he spotted me (hence the "searching" status) so I booked it roadrunner style straight to the door where the clip begins.

2 - Seems unlikely although not impossible

3 - I think 2 cameras spotted me, the one outside the stylist area and the one in the basement

4 - I think the only guard I pacified was the one whose costume I'm wearing, maybe I left some weapons lying around and forgot about it. I'm a little bit doubtful because I'd already spent a fair amount of time in that costume by the time the basement incident happened but it's the only rational explanation outside of some weird telepathy bug.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If a pacified person who has had their outfit taken is woken up, they'll eventually go to a nearby closet to replace it. Is it possible your pacified guard went and collected a new outfit and was on his way back when he spotted you? And because the searching was active, he may have been given temporary enforcer status?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ZearothK posted:

Honestly Fart Case and Sieker are so OP that I refuse to use them. :colbert:

I'll bring a Sieker most of the time, but I almost never bring a lockpick or electronic hacker. I've run into a handful of stationary targets that I can pixel snipe with a Sieker but I have no idea how I'd manage to kill them and get away otherwise.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'll bring a Sieker most of the time, but I almost never bring a lockpick or electronic hacker. I've run into a handful of stationary targets that I can pixel snipe with a Sieker but I have no idea how I'd manage to kill them and get away otherwise.

Ducks are hitman’s best friend. :wotwot:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Or the explosive phone. People are so tempted to pick that baby up. Drop it in their path. Drop it right in front of them and just walk away!

Sure, it creates collateral damage. It's not very quiet either! It's no electrophone... but it's a good safety net for when a target just sticks to a crowded area and you don't want to geometry the perfect angle to headshot them with a pistol without getting noticed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It took me way too long to realize the power of the fire extinguisher to open doors!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've been working through the Elusive Target Arcade for weapon/costume unlocks and it's very satisfying to just ignore the optional conditions as well as SA and just blast the target in the face and run for it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

It took me way too long to realize the power of the fire extinguisher to open doors!

You can use them to open safes as well. I tend to avoid using them because the explosion sound is EXTREMELY loud for some reason. Way louder than the actual explosive devices you get to use.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Ducks are hitman’s best friend. :wotwot:

gently caress that. I have yet to be convinced that the "Concuss 3 guards" objective is even possible - multiple times I've thrown a duck into a pack of guards, set it off, and had it affect none of them. gently caress them ducks.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Shooting Blanks posted:

gently caress that. I have yet to be convinced that the "Concuss 3 guards" objective is even possible - multiple times I've thrown a duck into a pack of guards, set it off, and had it affect none of them. gently caress them ducks.

You don't have to concuss three guards at once, just bring two concussion grenades and throw them at two pairs of guards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I need to stop taking the Matador with me on "collateral kill" objectives, it somehow* ALWAYS ends up with me dead :doh:

* Me being bad at being a Hitman!

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Diephoon posted:

You can use them to open safes as well. I tend to avoid using them because the explosion sound is EXTREMELY loud for some reason. Way louder than the actual explosive devices you get to use.

I love the sound the fire extinguishers make when they blow up, and they also come in extremely handy as a concussion explosive if you have the "Pacify 3 Guards" objective, and as long as you aren't spotted shooting it, you should retain SA as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Something I've realized now that I completed the weapon wall in my safehouse, I can now freely take any weapon/item on a mission and it's really no big deal if I lose it. I'm not having to spend $$$ on new weapons anymore, and as I complete syndicates I get those bigger 10k and 15k payouts from the reward crate regularly because I already have all the weapons. So if I lose a gun that costs 30k, it's no issue to just rebuy it immediately.

So the dynamic of the game has changed to where I'm going into missions 100% prepared to complete the challenges because I don't have to worry about losing expensive stuff. Just a change in mindset really, when my primary goal was to build up the weapon wall I was trying really hard not to take any rare guns/items into missions so that I wouldn't have to waste resources replacing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Please stop making me snipe in NYC, it’s not really a good place for that.