Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 27, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 10, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

four completely unique panels? you spoil us, Scary Gary

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Boring Time Of Year

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

every time a dustin strip does the "seriously?" thing i feel a little twinge in my brain that brings me one step closer to the stroke

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/17-19/50

Archie 3/27-29/47

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh my God why is the Peanuts Mother's day special this good. I was not prepared to be emotionally destroyed by Peppermint Patty's complicated feelings about not having a Mom.

Also, this part is brilliant:

First off, that moment of Snoopy comforting Woodstock is heartwarming as hell and I love the way he does the big brother "take my hand" thing. Second, I love the way this scene creates a sense of loss that then directly carries over into Patty's story. There's no adjustment period needed because you go into the next scene (the emotional climax of the special) feeling exactly how she does. Third, the sunset lighting behind Patty is freaking gorgeous. The gif compression really doesn't do the animation justice but this whole special looks incredible.

Anyways, go watch the Apple TV+ specials they're good.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Is this the first time we've seen Popeye getting beaten up by a strong opponent, then eating spinach for a strength boost and returning the favor? I can't remember seeing it in the strip before.
Apparently the spinach thing first started in 1932. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of Popeye but I remember something about spinach juice before? Don't recall it being used in the context you mention, though.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Green Intern posted:

They fell off a cruise ship at night. They're dead.
Andertoons

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Visual work metaphors are your other strip, Bill!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Good thing they're standing in chest-deep water then.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
One thing that really chaps my rear end about all modern iterations of Popeye is how these lazy hack writers have decided that Popeye always TALKSK LIKESK THISK, which was never actually true and ignores the rich humor of mangled language so effortlessly employed in the classic strips. Given how Milholland loves to indulge in Sailorpedia wankery, I’m surprised he hasn’t been more aware of this.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 30, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Why doesn't Jebediah just walk away from the camp gently caress you Jules.

Also, we don't need AI for misinformation to mess up the world, we have people for that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 27, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

:stare: ew

quote:

You sure did, Nancy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ugh, the way April talks in Foob reminds me of that terrible baby in Rose is Rose.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

From the colour scheme and that the talking heads might be ghosts, I wonder if this is a Pictures for Sad Children reference. Probably not!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

I hate this motherfucker. My only comfort is he's about 35 here and it's 1980, so he might be dead now.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

davidspackage posted:

:stare: ew

You sure did, Nancy.

I'm sorry, but 'The Thing' is clearly a Southern:colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Shouldn't a toxic soup contain toxic stuff and not vegetables?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Alhazred posted:

Shouldn't a toxic soup contain toxic stuff and not vegetables?

1/3 of those are closely related to deadly nightshade?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Vegetables are gross and you should not eat them.

Also: 1/3 of those aren't even vegetables.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hippocrass posted:

You gotta be fuckin' kidding me :doh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hippocrass posted:

Not the original.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not the original.

I had to look this up because I assumed every version was set in the antarctic:

The original novella - Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell - Antarctic

The original movie - The Thing from Another World - Arctic

The best version - The Thing - Antarctic

I have no idea why they changed the setting for the 1950s movie, but they did switch poles for it.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

From the colour scheme and that the talking heads might be ghosts, I wonder if this is a Pictures for Sad Children reference. Probably not!

i hate to say this because it makes me feel like i'm crumbling to dust but i think olive brinker is too young to know pfsc

anyway that guy is right the other guy's wife is cringe

manero
Jan 30, 2006

No Nancy today so all you get is the Sunday edition of Pluggers. This is the new normal.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Jesus christ this is dire. It just doesn't stop.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

manero posted:

No Nancy today so all you get is the Sunday edition of Pluggers. This is the new normal.

gently caress

was literally just last week commenting to my partner how weird it is that its now normal for car engines to shut off at a stoplight

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ellie the beep posted:

gently caress

was literally just last week commenting to my partner how weird it is that its now normal for car engines to shut off at a stoplight

Ask not for whom the plugger, um, plugs. It plugs for thee. :corsair:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/29/03

Brenda Starr 11/19/50

Smokey Stover 5/16/54

Everyday Movies 5/12/36

"My dad's a pretty good sport. I got him to buy me a new car, and he's going to use my old one."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/18/41

And we're back to Scarlet interfering in sports invisibly. Wonder if she'll stand in the wrong place and take a punch?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bimmi posted:

One thing that really chaps my rear end about all modern iterations of Popeye is how these lazy hack writers have decided that Popeye always TALKSK LIKESK THISK, which was never actually true and ignores the rich humor of mangled language so effortlessly employed in the classic strips. Given how Milholland loves to indulge in Sailorpedia wankery, I’m surprised he hasn’t been more aware of this.

The fact is that 99.9% of the reading audience is going to know Popeye exclusively from the old cartoons (or parodies of those cartoons) and he does talk like that in those.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As a long time boxing in fictional media fan I never get tired of the selective blind referee trope. :allears: I also really admire the thoroughness Russel applies to all these goofy god drat scenarios where Scarlet gets randomly KO'd at least once a story. It's always got to be plausible that her help is maximized by unseen shock value, like the right hook of a dainty dame to the gut of a juggernaut like that.

Cassandra's ploys to get Slylock worried about and committed to her are starting to get out of hand!

Cuphead, Groo, Devilman, She-ra. Bob Weber wearing his authentic nerd credentials heart on his sleeve and a better legit artist than half the thread regulars. And/Or got a kid with those tastes but either way 100% more authentic than the "how do you do fellow kids" regulars as well. :haw: Then again any artist that puts that much consistent detail into a cat girl is a bona fide anime nerd.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Doomykins posted:

As a long time boxing in fictional media fan I never get tired of the selective blind referee trope. :allears: I also really admire the thoroughness Russel applies to all these goofy god drat scenarios where Scarlet gets randomly KO'd at least once a story. It's always got to be plausible that her help is maximized by unseen shock value, like the right hook of a dainty dame to the gut of a juggernaut like that.

Cassandra's ploys to get Slylock worried about and committed to her are starting to get out of hand!

Cuphead, Groo, Devilman, She-ra. Bob Weber wearing his authentic nerd credentials heart on his sleeve and a better legit artist than half the thread regulars. And/Or got a kid with those tastes but either way 100% more authentic than the "how do you do fellow kids" regulars as well. :haw: Then again any artist that puts that much consistent detail into a cat girl is a bona fide anime nerd.
I think the submitted drawing is Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club too.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Just for variety, here's Sally Forth getting salty about something other than her mother.

Peanuts (May 2, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangroa!

Popeye

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 30, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Loose diamonds are pretty transparent to x-Rays, though. That said, a skilled radiologist probably wouldn't have much of a problem spotting them, especially if asked to look for them.

Hostile V posted:

I think the submitted drawing is Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club too.

And that symbol on the jacket is from the Scout Regiment from Attack on Titan.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some things are constant no matter what. Val bonding with someone he was at odds with, over violence with a third party, is one such staple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

maltesh posted:

Loose diamonds are pretty transparent to x-Rays, though. That said, a skilled radiologist probably wouldn't have much of a problem spotting them, especially if asked to look for them.

And that symbol on the jacket is from the Scout Regiment from Attack on Titan.
I zoomed in way close and I think the artist's earrings are Saitama's face from One Punch Man.