Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yo but the Mole Man would kick rear end in the MCU tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I was thinking Annihilus or Mole Man would make solid first villains. But I don’t mind Galactus in theory. Its all down to the story and origin they come up with.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For me I would have a lower-scale threat first, then bring Galactus in for either a sequel or one of those team-up movies with other MCU characters

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's nothing wrong with the idea of Dr Doom as the villain of a Fantastic Four movie as long as you don't do the thing of killing him at the end of the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would be a funny solution to their Kang problem to bring in Doom and have him kill Kang off screen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It can't be Dr Doom since he isn't the Fantastic Four But Evil

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
FF baddie should be Maker, given all the multiverse stuff

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Endless Mike posted:

Super-Skrull it is! And honestly that would be fine, we've got Skrull stuff happening already.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wasn't the hugest fan of the Fantastic Four Life Story mini but having Galactus as a looming threat that Reed gets increasingly paranoid over time about was an interesting wrinkle

Although that might be a little too close to Iron Man's more vague cosmic terror

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

Only if we get his mom. :colbert:

skip galactus altogether and give us taaia

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm just surprised that they are going straight to Galactus

eternals already introduced celestials, it's not out of left field. have him be after the partially conceived celestial popping out of the ocean no one seems to care about or something

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Guardians 3 Review embargo lifts today at 1 PM EST.

Initial preview reviews have been positive, but they are generally more positive than the full reviews.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gologle posted:

Yo but the Mole Man would kick rear end in the MCU tho

Danny Devito as Mole Man please.

In fact, just cast the whole Sunny gang as the F4. I'd be there day one!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Guardians 3 Review embargo lifts today at 1 PM EST.

Initial preview reviews have been positive, but they are generally more positive than the full reviews.

I don't have any doubts about this movie being good.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I already bought my tickets. I give no fucks about reviews. Gimme that otter and space dog.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Guardians 3 review embargo is lifted.

They are generally positive. Started at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, but dropped to 80%, and currently at 84%.

Basically all the negative reviews seem to agree that they didn't like the heavy drama of the movie and fewer jokes:

quote:

Half of Vol. 3 is an outright drama, heavy with themes of loss and terror. It’s an odd, lumbering patchwork of a film.

quote:

Solemnity is the guiding light here, and solemnity doesn’t suit the Guardians.

quote:

Does the occasional emotional moment land? Sure. Do those moments wind up lost in space, floating in an oxygen-free environment with no place to land? Unfortunately, yes.

quote:

Cue the Sarah Mclachlan music because James Gunn is trying hard to make you feel things. This ends up as a tonal mess that relies on Disney-style emotional manipulation.

quote:

This Guardians is the most downbeat of the series.

The positive reviews are also all pretty much on the same page: Good visuals, as funny the first one, they didn't mind the pathos, and considered it a good send off.

quote:

In true Guardians fashion, Gunn and his intrepid crew decide their legacy is to go down swinging to the very end, and that will always be both intensely entertaining and unforgettably endearing.

quote:

Volume 3 feels like an emotional goodbye to this weird, charming corner of the Marvel universe, and to the era of Marvel that charmed even critics in its heyday.

quote:

If there is anything Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 reminds fans of, Marvel can still produce a film with a definite zest and individuality. Who would have thought this assembly of characters would unite to make a trilogy that made us feel so drat much?

quote:

Overall, this is a worthwhile conclusion to the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy, bringing the trademark sense of humor and unique visual storytelling that have always set it apart from any of Marvel's other films.

There's quite a few people in the positive and negative reviews who are also noting the length. It's a little over 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Lots of praise for Chukwudi Iwuji/The High Evolutionary.

Interestingly, none of the reviews mention Will Poulter/Adam Warlock in either a good or bad way.

Several reviewers note that they "toned down the crass humor," "increased the profanity," and "significantly increased the violence and gore."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 28, 2023

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Fearsome Four then; Wizard, Trapster, Titania, Dragon Man. Wizard as an ethically dubious scientist who blames Reed for ruining his life, gets funding from mysterious international benefactor (Doom set up over a few movies), outfits hired goon Trapster, enhances influencer Titania with powers (she wants to beat social media darling Johnny Storm for the likes), builds sentient robot Dragon Man.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sanschel posted:

Fearsome Four then;... Trapster

I'm sorry, who the gently caress is Trapster, what kind of stupid rear end name is that?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

I'm sorry, who the gently caress is Trapster, what kind of stupid rear end name is that?

previously known as Paste Pot Pete

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

He likes his beats

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Soonmot posted:

previously known as Paste Pot Pete

thank you

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SlimGoodbody posted:

I love me some Antonio but that seems like such a left field pick. Like I'm trying to imagine what an Antonio Banderas Galactus is bringing to the table and coming up blank.

the Silver Surfer shouting "NO, DON'T DO EET, EET'S TOO SEXY" before he consumes earth.

Also, please just dress Antonio Banderas as Galactus.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Interestingly, none of the reviews mention Will Poulter/Adam Warlock in either a good or bad way.
I found a mention of Adam Warlock in the IGN review of the movie and I'm going to post it here in spoiler tags since it's a minor spoiler for his role

Then there’s Adam Warlock, who is by far the biggest surprise in that he plays a shockingly small role. With the way he was teased at the end of the last Guardians movie, one might think he would be the main big bad, but the High Evolutionary is very much the central antagonist and Warlock is pretty much just his lackey. That’s kind of a letdown because in the comics Warlock is a wise and powerful cosmic being who played a key role in the saga of the Infinity Stones, but with that story already concluded in the MCU, it seems there just wasn’t much left for Warlock to do. Unfortunately, he feels like he’s only in this film out of obligation, and it’s sad to say Volume 3 wouldn’t have been much different if he were cut out. Also, it’s a big departure from the comics that this Warlock is effectively a child in the body of Superman, kind of like Marvel’s version of Shazam. And while Will Poulter does absolutely nail that idea and earn some laughs, it’s hard not to feel disappointed that we lost out on a unique cosmic character and in exchange we got yet another space idiot.

That's disappointing to hear.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I found a mention of Adam Warlock in the IGN review of the movie and I'm going to post it here in spoiler tags since it's a minor spoiler for his role

Then there’s Adam Warlock, who is by far the biggest surprise in that he plays a shockingly small role. With the way he was teased at the end of the last Guardians movie, one might think he would be the main big bad, but the High Evolutionary is very much the central antagonist and Warlock is pretty much just his lackey. That’s kind of a letdown because in the comics Warlock is a wise and powerful cosmic being who played a key role in the saga of the Infinity Stones, but with that story already concluded in the MCU, it seems there just wasn’t much left for Warlock to do. Unfortunately, he feels like he’s only in this film out of obligation, and it’s sad to say Volume 3 wouldn’t have been much different if he were cut out. Also, it’s a big departure from the comics that this Warlock is effectively a child in the body of Superman, kind of like Marvel’s version of Shazam. And while Will Poulter does absolutely nail that idea and earn some laughs, it’s hard not to feel disappointed that we lost out on a unique cosmic character and in exchange we got yet another space idiot.

Good chance he'll play a larger role going forward though. Even if they're done with the guardians marvel is still going to want a cosmic presence

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

Sounds like Pratt was trying to be a good friend
It sounds like Hillsong saw an avenue to recruit someone going through loving poo poo and used Pratt as a way to do it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well Warlock wasn't really Space Jesus when he first appeared either. That came later during and after his stuff on Counter Earth. He wasn't exactly child like in his early FF and Thor stories but he definitely was ignorant of how to interact with people. He actually kidnapped Sif just because she was the first pretty woman he saw after getting out of his cocoon for the second time.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 29, 2023

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I hope he’s just called Him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1652302195801620486
Sounds good to me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I'm here for Yooperman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gunn is right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
People seriously don’t agree with that statement? Have they ever read a Superman comic that wasn’t by Frank Miller or Geoff Johns?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I get that they're talking about comics versus movies but it just sounds like somebody going "Superman needs to be Superman and should have the qualities of Superman but also at the same time... he should be Superman."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its weird because there's just this one generation of Superman movies that's like "maybe Superman is actually a moody dude who doesn't necessarily seem like he wants to be a hero?" So now Gunn's just trying to reset expectations back to the standard idea.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

Its weird because there's just this one generation of Superman movies that's like "maybe Superman is actually a moody dude who doesn't necessarily seem like he wants to be a hero?" So now Gunn's just trying to reset expectations back to the standard idea.
Yeah Rerurns was a massive misstep.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

STAC Goat posted:

I think about this line from Jenny Nicholson's Batman vs Superman video a lot. Paraphrasing, "Superman seems to save people out of obligation. Wanting to help people or be a nice person doesn't factor into it."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I think Cavill’s Superman/Clark is a nice enough guy who does actually do what he thinks is right. But he obviously doesn’t come by it as easily as Superman traditionally does. in this version he’s constantly questioning the cost and his Pa is like “maybe you should just let people die”. It’s a lot more conflicted.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I get that they're talking about comics versus movies but it just sounds like somebody going "Superman needs to be Superman and should have the qualities of Superman but also at the same time... he should be Superman."

Yes, but unfortunately a lot of people (including Snyder fans heyoooooooo okay I'm done) don't really get that.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I hope he’s just called Him.

I know I said I've already bought my tickets, but if they put woke pronouns in this movie I will cancel them. Hopefully there's a good Kevin Sorbo movie to see instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvels-blade-nabs-true-detective-creator-1235405915/
Marvel has hired Nic Pizzolato (True Detective) to do a rewrite for Blade.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Pizzolatto was solely responsible for True Detective season 2, right? The poo poo one? And he worked with Fukunaga for 1 and 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pizzolato wrote almost all of Season 3 by himself, and that season was fairly well-received. Also, Fukunaga is a sex pest.