Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's not Pokemon because the graphics aren't shite.

They’re kind of pixel junk OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I don’t know if I should be sticking with a core party and rotating out the current story character, or trying to keep everyone leveled up.

I am in love with this game. It’s more Octopath which is all I wanted. I played the first on Xbox and had held out hoping the sequel would come to it too, but I somehow doubt it. And having played a bunch I’m actually happy with the switch version and being able to play anywhere not just in front of my tv.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Chasiubao posted:

I don’t know if I should be sticking with a core party and rotating out the current story character, or trying to keep everyone leveled up.

I am in love with this game. It’s more Octopath which is all I wanted. I played the first on Xbox and had held out hoping the sequel would come to it too, but I somehow doubt it. And having played a bunch I’m actually happy with the switch version and being able to play anywhere not just in front of my tv.

Xbox is junk OP. All game support has vaporized and Microsoft is tacitly no longer supporting the platform and will soon be openly “moving away from the gaming sector”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chasiubao posted:

I just rotated the party around the whole time and it worked out well. You’ll eventually want everyone leveled up so it’s helpful to give everyone some time with the party.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Xbox is junk OP. All game support has vaporized and Microsoft is tacitly no longer supporting the platform and will soon be openly “moving away from the gaming sector”

:chloe:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

I just rotated the party around the whole time and it worked out well. You’ll eventually want everyone leveled up so it’s helpful to give everyone some time with the party.

Okay thanks! It is fun to hear the lil’ combat quips gassing each other up when breaks happen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MuadDib Atreides posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hopefully you will soon be “moving away from the posting sector” you loving moron

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Okay I have grown to love Agnea being an absolute naive ditz.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Chasiubao posted:

Okay I have grown to love Agnea being an absolute naive ditz.

it's all an act to stealcharm people into giving you their goods

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Quick SE store trip report. Sadly the Octopath collab for the cafe has ended, so they've got a bit less stuff out.

They do have the guide though (artbook should be in May). Goes decently detailed into the game itself (with bestiary, etc.) as well as character beta designs.

They also have pins and postcards. Also the little pixel keychains, though they only have Agnea at this point in time (I asked and all the other characters are display-only). And I think a map of the game.

They also have some other stuff for the mobile game like phone covers and those blind box figurines.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I’m on chapter 3 of Castti’s story and poo poo’s real hosed up :smith:

Edit: Malaya what the the fuckkkkkkkkkk this is so sad

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 1, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chasiubao posted:

I’m on chapter 3 of Castti’s story and poo poo’s real hosed up :smith:

Edit: Malaya what the the fuckkkkkkkkkk this is so sad

Yeah, right?

Back when I was playing Castti's story, I was for some reason totally convinced Malaya was evil, and walked into chapter 3 expecting a backstab. Instead it turns out no, Malaya was not only Castti's best friend, but also deader than disco. Castti spoke only to a delusion formed from her suppressed memories trying to get out! Kind of a surprise.

Don't read those spoilers if you haven't finished chapter 4 yet:

Castti finally got to take a well-deserved nap after saving an entire kingdom. Well done!

Also it finally dawned on me that this was the kingdom the people of Saih were fighting with. For some reason I had assumed that after Khu wrecked the place, Saih would have been taken over and that the foreign soldiers fighting the refugees must have been under the command of the Khu Kingdom. Boy, was I wrong.

Apparently Khu just absolutely destroyed Saih and then left, huh.

Trusseau was just a mother of gently caress, to quote the AVGN. I brought my level 57 Ochette with my otherwise level-apprpriate team, and this rear end in a top hat pelted us with so many status effects, he still very nearly took us down.

The fight is also on a timer: Trusseau's poison rain will constantly lower the party's max HP, making it tougher and tougher to survive if the fight drags on. Eventually, I panicked and blew a bunch of cash (two of my party had Merchant as subjobs) on max boosted highered help, to aid my two main damage dealers (Weaponmaster Castti and Hunter-Warrior Ochette) also blasting the boss with everything they got. Trusseau survived, held a villain speech and powered up for phase 2 of the fight. I then panicked a little more.

Turns out we did so much damage in that one turn, we blew through almost all of Trusseau's HP, anyway. A single axe hit from Castti brought him down. I like to imagine Castti just stove his ribs in right after he stopped talking.

Then of course defeating Mad Man Trusseau wasn't enough, she also had to do some speed-alchemizing to combine all story-relevant remedies into one super-medicine. Then she ran around healing everyone the soldiers hadn't dragged out of the poison rain in time.

Stop, Castti. Stop! You're doing too much, take some rest, for the gods sake!

And then she slept. :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Castti's story was my favorite overall, I really loved it. From the moment in her chapter 1 when the Inquire screen glitched out and the really haunting flashback music started I was 100% invested and it never let me down.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Libluini posted:

Don't read those spoilers if you haven't finished chapter 4 yet:

The fight is also on a timer: Trusseau's poison rain will constantly lower the party's max HP, making it tougher and tougher to survive if the fight drags on. Eventually, I panicked and blew a bunch of cash (two of my party had Merchant as subjobs) on max boosted highered help, to aid my two main damage dealers (Weaponmaster Castti and Hunter-Warrior Ochette) also blasting the boss with everything they got. Trusseau survived, held a villain speech and powered up for phase 2 of the fight. I then panicked a little more.

Turns out we did so much damage in that one turn, we blew through almost all of Trusseau's HP, anyway. A single axe hit from Castti brought him down. I like to imagine Castti just stove his ribs in right after he stopped talking.

I wish they had tweaked this on some of the final bosses. Either give them a full-heal for the phase 2 or… something. There are fights that trigger phase 2 based on damage, others based on other triggers (hello Ochette). I had this happen with… Osvald’s, I think. Means you miss out on the cool second boss theme.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do wish the late-game bosses, especially the bosses for each character's last chapter, had more HP. Wonder how hard that'd be to mod into the PC version since it's really my only issue with the gameplay. I "solved" the problem by nerfing myself intentionally so the fights would take more than three turns but it'd be nice to have the opportunity to really cut loose for more fights than just the superboss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I do wish the late-game bosses, especially the bosses for each character's last chapter, had more HP. Wonder how hard that'd be to mod into the PC version since it's really my only issue with the gameplay. I "solved" the problem by nerfing myself intentionally so the fights would take more than three turns but it'd be nice to have the opportunity to really cut loose for more fights than just the superboss.

I'm kind of glad they aren't stronger, :lol: I'm not one of those super-players who min-max themselves to death and back, every final chapter boss so far was nail-baitingly close.

That was, after all, why I panicked when Trusseau powered up -my party was down to ca. 40% maximum HP and nearly every serious hit would have killed a party member. We were running on empty pretty much, hadn't Castti saved us all with her trusty axe. :v:

Right now I have maybe 3-4 party members that can consistently do more than 9999 damage on a consistent basis without blowing huge amounts of cash: Ochette, Hikari, Castti, and Thróne on a good day. To be fair, that's plenty and from what I observed, boss fights seem to be balanced around the fact that you can deal some pretty heavy damage, as every time I managed to pull a big set-up more than once, the boss had powered up enough to drop the total damage by massive amounts.

Like, for example Ochette would do 14k damage in the first phase of a boss fight, and then later, with the boss powered up, the exaxt same set-up would only get me around 8k or lower. Same with Hikari, first major hit in a battle: Something like 11-13k. Follow-up with the same amount of boosting and buffing, against the same boss but in a later phase: around 6k.

Those huge damage drop-offs seem to mean that if you have a powerful party, but don't immediately blast through all of a boss's HP, the resulting power-up can potentially make the last part of the battle a magnitude harder.

The devs just clearly underestimated how far players are willing to go to achieve infinite damage. :v:

Clearly, just giving bosses more HP would just make the game more tedious. It would already help a lot to program boss phases to have separate HP blocks, because then the more powerful later phases would already defuse player-shennanigans a lot.

Fake edit: Of course, that's probably harder to patch in than just giving every boss a billion more HP

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

The devs just clearly underestimated how far players are willing to go to achieve infinite damage. :v:

Clearly, just giving bosses more HP would just make the game more tedious. It would already help a lot to program boss phases to have separate HP blocks, because then the more powerful later phases would already defuse player-shennanigans a lot.

Honestly I didn't even go that far! I just explored a bunch and used path actions to get good gear and learned skills :v: I had to put a self-imposed rule on myself not to ever equip Deal More Damage until the postgame and also made Hikari play support for every final boss other than his own. It feels pretty easy to just stumble into overwhelming power though I imagine there's a pretty wide differential between if you stumbled into that power or if you didn't.

But yeah having boss phases have separate HP counts would probably have been good. The couple times they did that (for example the final bosses for Agnea's or Hikari's final chapters) felt a lot better to me and those fights felt more challenging as a result.

edit: I will say, to the game's credit, normally I really hate when it's like "just don't use <powerful thing> if you want a challenge" because I'd much rather be able to use all my tools and still feel challenged. But Octopath 2 has so many options and ways to set up your characters that even when I was intentionally picking "weaker" choices like making Hikari focus on healing as a Cleric or donating BP as a Merchant I still had fun. Definitely a big point in the game's favor.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 1, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Harrow posted:

Pretty sure mods like that already exist for OT1. Hell, they may exist for OT2 already.

OT1 mods are pretty simplistic, though I was able to follow a Youtube guide well enough to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nn0XbeEO1w

Enemy graphics are a lot more elaborate in OT2 though. In OT1 all enemies had like eight frames and a static 2x4 setting with even spacing, which made replacing things a lot easier (though still tricky since each individual enemy sprite has specific dimensions used in some file somewhere).

OT2's enemies are like the character sprites though, all bunched together to save space, which makes animating them a bigger pain in the rear end since you can't just auto-cut the sprite sheet into separate images like with OT1's foes. It's doable, just requires a lot more manual work (which is also why I haven't bothered making animated enemy sprites like I did a bit of for OT1).

Of course, OT2's enemies have a ton more frames to show them attacking and doing special moves, so it makes sense they'd compress them down further.

And for fun, here's how characters are stored.

You can rip all this data yourself with UE Viewer if you have the game on PC. Switch versions should work too, but will probably take a few extra steps to accomplish that. This should also let you find the necessary files to modify stuff if you're crazy enough to want to get into modding yourself (though I'd recommend checking out the OT Modding Discord first for help).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 1, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mega64 posted:

And for fun, here's how characters are stored.

Cool! I was curious how sprites were stored in Octopath 2 given the wide variety of animations that need to be done across a bunch of different sprites (like how Agnea's dances need to be animated for all of her job sprites). I'll have to see if I can take a look at some of the player sprites.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Harrow posted:

I looked into modding and it seems trivial; there's a mod that apparently does nothing but increase HP across the board and mostly increases HP/Shields for the last character chapter bosses.
https://www.nexusmods.com/octopathtraveler2/mods/18

Basically all you need to do is drop the .pak file into the octopath folder, it requires absolutely no unpacking of files or anything.

There's also full class rebalances already and pretty heavy edits to some bosses; the main limiting thing right now seems to be that you can't actually edit the number of effects any particular animation has, and things like if something triggers a dance session or whatnot are also baked into the currently uneditable animation file.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Polderjoch posted:

I looked into modding and it seems trivial; there's a mod that apparently does nothing but increase HP across the board and mostly increases HP/Shields for the last character chapter bosses.
https://www.nexusmods.com/octopathtraveler2/mods/18

Basically all you need to do is drop the .pak file into the octopath folder, it requires absolutely no unpacking of files or anything.

There's also full class rebalances already and pretty heavy edits to some bosses; the main limiting thing right now seems to be that you can't actually edit the number of effects any particular animation has, and things like if something triggers a dance session or whatnot are also baked into the currently uneditable animation file.

Hell yeah

I don't really care much about class rebalances or anything but I'm glad there's a mod that does exactly what I wanted out there already. When I inevitably replay the whole game in the relatively near future I'll probably give that one a try.

edit: huh, though the rebalance mod does look pretty interesting. More buffs than I was expecting. That might be worth trying out in a future playthrough as well, especially once it's had more iterations.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 1, 2023

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah

I don't really care much about class rebalances or anything but I'm glad there's a mod that does exactly what I wanted out there already. When I inevitably replay the whole game in the relatively near future I'll probably give that one a try.

edit: huh, though the rebalance mod does look pretty interesting. More buffs than I was expecting. That might be worth trying out in a future playthrough as well, especially once it's had more iterations.

Yeah, from the look of it both Octoplus and a new dawn seem to be focused on buffing rather than nerfing abilities, which is definitely a lot more satisfying to play around. The former also has an accompanying item buff mod which buffs some underpowered equipment which seems cool to play around with as well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Libluini posted:

I'm kind of glad they aren't stronger, :lol: I'm not one of those super-players who min-max themselves to death and back, every final chapter boss so far was nail-baitingly close.

That was, after all, why I panicked when Trusseau powered up -my party was down to ca. 40% maximum HP and nearly every serious hit would have killed a party member. We were running on empty pretty much, hadn't Castti saved us all with her trusty axe. :v:

Right now I have maybe 3-4 party members that can consistently do more than 9999 damage on a consistent basis without blowing huge amounts of cash: Ochette, Hikari, Castti, and Thróne on a good day. To be fair, that's plenty and from what I observed, boss fights seem to be balanced around the fact that you can deal some pretty heavy damage, as every time I managed to pull a big set-up more than once, the boss had powered up enough to drop the total damage by massive amounts.

Like, for example Ochette would do 14k damage in the first phase of a boss fight, and then later, with the boss powered up, the exaxt same set-up would only get me around 8k or lower. Same with Hikari, first major hit in a battle: Something like 11-13k. Follow-up with the same amount of boosting and buffing, against the same boss but in a later phase: around 6k.

Those huge damage drop-offs seem to mean that if you have a powerful party, but don't immediately blast through all of a boss's HP, the resulting power-up can potentially make the last part of the battle a magnitude harder.

Fake edit: Of course, that's probably harder to patch in than just giving every boss a billion more HP

Ehhhh. We aren’t really talking about any super clever tricks or going “far” for infinite damage. If you equip the very basic Do More Damage ability and wear appropriate gear then you will turn final bosses to paste.

“Throne’s ability says it does more damage the more speed she has so I stacked speed and do like 70k per Aebers” is not exactly a big brain play.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ehhhh. We aren’t really talking about any super clever tricks or going “far” for infinite damage. If you equip the very basic Do More Damage ability and wear appropriate gear then you will turn final bosses to paste.

“Throne’s ability says it does more damage the more speed she has so I stacked speed and do like 70k per Aebers” is not exactly a big brain play.

that hasn't been my experience, though

I think this thread should just accept that the competence level of the average player is a lot lower than the super-nerds posting on SA.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Libluini posted:

that hasn't been my experience, though

I think this thread should just accept that the competence level of the average player is a lot lower than the super-nerds posting on SA.

I mean if we are defining super competence as using the ability literally called Do More Damage and stacking the stat the game textually tells you to then…I guesssss? :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly even more than just high damage numbers, the thing that can make bosses a lot easier is being efficient about revealing weaknesses and breaking. Using Sixfold Strike to reveal all of a boss's physical weaknesses immediately and then using multi-hit moves to break ASAP can keep bosses from getting to attack much at all regardless of how good your damage is. And that's before we factor in Temenos's latent (when he's in the party) or getting really good monster captures with Ochette so she can break nearly anything in a single Provoke Beasts. Or how many actions you can get once you learn that you can fairly cheaply buy Pomegranate Leaves and spam BP refills with Castti.

Octopath 2 lets you become very powerful and you don't really have to go that far out of your way or be some kind of hyper min-maxing/grinding turbo-nerd to do it. In fact for most of my playthrough my secondary job assignments were "whatever looks cool" or "whatever makes Hikari able to support so he doesn't disintegrate whatever he looks at" (the latter being because I started with Hikari and he was very overleveled lol)

I did still have a lot of fun, though, I don't want to give the impression I'm making GBS threads on the game for being too easy or whatever. It's still good as hell and one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 1, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I do think it's kinda silly that the ability is literally just titled "Do More Damage" instead of some fancy fantasy name to make it sound more cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh a quick tip for anyone having trouble with late game bosses: buffs and debuffs are very impactful in Octopath 2. They feel kind of easy to ignore but if you debuff an enemy's defense and buff your attack you'll see a huge difference in how much damage you do. Making room in my strategy to make sure I could buff myself and debuff the boss was pretty important for my successful superboss attempt.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I struggle with debuffing and buffing because I'm always consumed with "gotta do damage". Not sure how to shift my stupid brain.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Given the HP of most bosses I usually didn't bother buffing and debuffing, but it's pretty trivial to stick phys/elem def down on a boss the whole fight and like Harrow said it's a big effect (like 25%?). As for feeling like it's "wasting" a turn, Ochette's latent debuff/break or her multi provoke to damage/break/buff/debuff all within a turn is just silly good and feels good. Castti also can do several things at once with mix

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Even Throne can do two actions with a Latent up and she has innate Def Down as a skill.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ApplesandOranges posted:

Even Throne can do two actions with a Latent up and she has innate Def Down as a skill.

My Throne has stacked speed (obv) and kicks off every break round popping a Latent and dropping Armor Corrosive before following up with Aeber's for 20-30k damage. More if I can set up some buffs first.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Late Game Sidequest involving books question:

I turned in all of the books after visiting the nameless isle and meeting the archaeologist. I then talked to Al before inquiring/stealing from him and accidentally gave him the translation knowledge, and then he disappeared. Forgot to restart before autosave... do you see Al again? Does he have anything good to steal?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Good lord how much HP does a Chubby Cait have?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edna Mode posted:

Late Game Sidequest involving books question:

I turned in all of the books after visiting the nameless isle and meeting the archaeologist. I then talked to Al before inquiring/stealing from him and accidentally gave him the translation knowledge, and then he disappeared. Forgot to restart before autosave... do you see Al again? Does he have anything good to steal?

You can find him again, though I don't think he had anything of note to steal.

Hint: you'll need your boat.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Good lord how much HP does a Chubby Cait have?

80 hp iirc, soulstones, a step ahead, and leghold trap are your friends

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

80 hp iirc, soulstones, a step ahead, and leghold trap are your friends

That’s a lot of soulstones, friend!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Well I meant for the capture, otherwise just, a step ahead, boost-start, full power, and have Osvald boost+latent his final chapter skill. magic doesn't miss. Step Ahead turns are real turns for the purpose of BP generation so if you leghold the fat cat on the free turn and do w/e with osvald, then on the start of next turn he'll have full BP to max power his final skill if you needed it a bit stronger. Osvald can Alephan's Wisdom in the Step, then next turn use his finalx3 if you need even more damage. I'm sure Hikari has some flavor of broken bullshit to do it but I used the hulking magic man

There are other ways to get the break, and the more folks you have with a step ahead the easier it is. Tenemos can make any thing a break, so Alephan's Wisdom + some spell will do 3 points, and Ochette's break+debuff latent can do the last one

EDIT: The black market also sells soulstones but i'm already guilty enough buying pomegranate leaves there lol

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 4, 2023

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I just fought two bosses and missed with Ochette's Beastly Fangs multiple times even though she has the highest accuracy in my party and I'm not at a level disadvantage. Is there some mechanic I'm missing that's causing that attack to miss so much or am I just getting ridiculously unlucky? If it's relevant the bosses were the Decaying Temple boss and Temenos's last chapter boss, and my Ochette is in the low level 50s..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I don't remember what bosses do it but just like you can put sidestep on your people to dodge a physical, there are a few bosses that put it up as well, also a thing that makes them dodge BP boosted attacks

EDIT: Decaying Temple is the one where you fight one on one with a sword guy right? he does the "dodge boosted" stance at some point. also the normal dodge x number of physicals. I came back later with Ochette when she could use her final chapter skill for better breaking, as well as just hit harder bc it was later. the hunter move that hits with the axe and gives you a buff will grant a dodge 1 physical iirc. I feel like you're "supposed" to use Hikari or just a warrior bc of the location, theme, and the warrior counter attack move but Ochette is cooler

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 4, 2023