Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

Players on the Green Bay Packers:
  • Love
  • Romeo
  • Valentine

Everybody loves Romeo Valentino, WCW roster member and 3-time Maryland Championship Wrestling champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Dexo posted:

Kirk Cousins is a perfectly servicable QB.

Eeee that check-down to end the season though

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean yeah, that was a mistake. But he's still not the main problem with that team.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

Dog, their defensive pass rush was negative last year. they had by far the worst defensive front in the League.

They are drafting specifically where they need to.

They don't have an Edge, but there are a number of edges who are available right now, in free agency who would be good
Bro, this isn't the 2006 bears.
You and everyone else in this town needs to get over the idea that the bears are going to be a defensive power house. It's a passing league, your team is only as good as your offense, and having this dynamic QB just so you get seventeen attempts to murder him a year isn't going to change that.
They're last in the league. They're awful everywhere. "Where they need to" isn't just the d line, it's also where their star player got hurt, that revolving door paper bag line.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Well, I wanted us to draft Anthony Johnson a round ago, so that's cool.

Overall, not many complaints about this draft. I would've preferred not to trade back with the Lions yesterday, but that's about it.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Realistically the sole purpose of the 2023 bears is to evaluate and see if Justin Fields is your starter. Anything outside of that is largely gravy the team had the #1 pick and got torn down to the studs last year. It's not an especially deep roster especially on defense

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bears grades:

Needs: sure
Players: never saw a single second of any of then play
Northwestern Wildcats Drafted: complete failure, fire poles

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HootTheOwl posted:

Bro, this isn't the 2006 bears.
You and everyone else in this town needs to get over the idea that the bears are going to be a defensive power house. It's a passing league, your team is only as good as your offense, and having this dynamic QB just so you get seventeen attempts to murder him a year isn't going to change that.
They're last in the league. They're awful everywhere. "Where they need to" isn't just the d line, it's also where their star player got hurt, that revolving door paper bag line.

Lmao I don't think they need to be a defensive powerhouse

They need to have a serviceable defense. Their defense was the reason they lost games last year.

The offense when people were healthy(Mooney, whitehair, Monty etc etc) was able to move the ball and put up points.

The Bears Offensive line's problem was in two spots. Center, and RT. The Offensive Line is only as strong as it's weakest spot.

Braxton Jones was one of the best rookies in the league last year(needs to get stronger and fix his bullrush problems and better, but he wasn't the problem)

LG, is probably gonna be Teven, who was great last year when he was healthy at RG.

Center is the biggest concern still(I would have liked to draft one, but between Whitehair and the dude who was injured for the year, that'll at least be better than loving Mustipher last year.)

Nate Davis is loving great at RG

and Darnell Wright is my second favorite Tackle in this draft, and just an absolute stud at right tackle.

the WR room is fine with DJ Moore pushing everyone down into their proper slot, the RB room is fine, TE room is fine(maybe would have liked one more, but yeah)

I am the last person you should ever accuse of being some defense first dude lmao.

But you still need to have a defensive line, and the Bears did not have one at all, they had like 20 sacks total last year the worst in the league. It's impossible to win when the opposing team's QB has loving 4 seconds to throw every down and never gets touched. After they traded Ro and Quinn that defense had loving like 6 sacks total for the rest of the year. You don't need to have an elite defense, but you do need to make the QB's feel some pressure. The wwo teams in the Superbowl last year had two very very good pass rushes/defensive lines.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Not having the 32 pick really hurt the Bears with how the draft went. So many pass rushers went between their first and second pick. I don’t blame them for going interior instead with what was there, but nonetheless their pass rush is going to continue to be awful. But hey can’t fix everything in one go and they’ll have extra picks next year to address it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

The Bears Offensive line's problem was in two spots. Center, and RT. The Offensive Line is only as strong as it's weakest spot.

This. This right here. This is the kind of thinking I thought we all had routinely mocked last season. Like when ESPN or whomever said the bears o line was middle of the back.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Bears drafting everywhere but where they need to.
Trade Fields, for his own protection and draft a new QB next year

They took maybe the best RT in the draft with their 1st round pick. They signed a good right guard in free agency. I think you can make a case that they should have taken one of those top Centers in the 2nd/3rd round, but I don't think they'd be an improvement over Whitehair next season.

I thought they should have been more aggressive in free agency since there were some good Centers available, but I don't think anyone available on Day 2 or 3 was going to make much impact. The defensive guys at least seem like starter caliber talents with a lot of upside.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hand Row posted:

Not having the 32 pick really hurt the Bears with how the draft went. So many pass rushers went between their first and second pick. I don’t blame them for going interior instead with what was there, but nonetheless their pass rush is going to continue to be awful. But hey can’t fix everything in one go and they’ll have extra picks next year to address it.

Yeah, the draft had a lot of good edge rushers but they were all gone by the middle of the 2nd round. Lets hope the Panthers suck and they'll be able to nab one of the top ones next offseason.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Niwrad posted:

They took maybe the best RT in the draft with their 1st round pick.

HootTheOwl posted:

yeah that's one.

quote:

They signed a good right guard in free agency. I think you can make a case that they should have taken one of those top Centers in the 2nd/3rd round, but I don't think they'd be an improvement over Whitehair next season.

I thought they should have been more aggressive in free agency since there were some good Centers available, but I don't think anyone available on Day 2 or 3 was going to make much impact. The defensive guys at least seem like starter caliber talents with a lot of upside.

HootTheOwl posted:

The count remains at 1

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hand Row posted:

Frank Clark is still available, Yannick Ngakoue is a free agent.

The Bears can still find a defensive end who has produced at a high level in FA. And they still have a poo poo ton of money in case cap casualties happen after the draft.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Dexo posted:

I mean yeah, that was a mistake. But he's still not the main problem with that team.

The defense was such a sieve that Kirk was constantly put in a position to fail. It eventually happened but the bigger issue was Ed "I know the system works" Donatell. Much of the draft was about giving Brian Flores the pieces he wanted to rebuild the defense. Kwesi did okay for not having a lot of picks going into the draft. Now it's up to the players.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Dexo posted:

Lmao I don't think they need to be a defensive powerhouse

They need to have a serviceable defense. Their defense was the reason they lost games last year.

The offense when people were healthy(Mooney, whitehair, Monty etc etc) was able to move the ball and put up points.

Braxton Jones was one of the best rookies in the league last year(needs to get stronger and fix his bullrush problems and better, but he wasn't the problem)

LG, is probably gonna be Teven, who was great last year when he was healthy at RG.

Center is the biggest concern still(I would have liked to draft one, but between Whitehair and the dude who was injured for the year, that'll at least be better than loving Mustipher last year.)

Nate Davis is loving great at RG

and Darnell Wright is my second favorite Tackle in this draft, and just an absolute stud at right tackle.

the WR room is fine with DJ Moore pushing everyone down into their proper slot, the RB room is fine, TE room is fine(maybe would have liked one more, but yeah)

I am the last person you should ever accuse of being some defense first dude lmao.

But you still need to have a defensive line, and the Bears did not have one at all, they had like 20 sacks total last year the worst in the league. It's impossible to win when the opposing team's QB has loving 4 seconds to throw every down and never gets touched. After they traded Ro and Quinn that defense had loving like 6 sacks total for the rest of the year. You don't need to have an elite defense, but you do need to make the QB's feel some pressure. The wwo teams in the Superbowl last year had two very very good pass rushes/defensive lines.

If Kmet misses any extended time this year I think TE will be a sore point, but they had so many needs that I wasn't expecting them to address them all in this draft. But aside from that I think they're mostly set on offense. The offensive line and WRs are the best they've been in a long while.

And on defense I think the only real weak spot is at DE, but even so the pass rush should improve with the Walker signing and the the rookie DTs taking off some of the load from Justin Jones.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The world may never know why the Bears decided to invest so much on their defense.

10 straight games of giving up 25+ points lol.

Giving up an average of 27 points a game lol(luckily that niners game was in the worst possible conditions or else they probably run it up, also lmao that Commanders game)

Offense,
Fields has gotta get better, needs to take layups more often.
With an Actual WR1 level Reciever on the roster, Darnell should be more like he was when he was playing next to Allen Robinson. And Claypool will have even less attention paid to him.
With an actual Right Tackle(hopefully), Kmet won't have to stay in and help as much, and they can send more than 2-3 recievers/TE's/RB's on a route.

I think it's silly for people to blame Fields for his protection, especially considering no one in the league had less money spent on their offense than he did last year, but dude does need to get better at just loving taking the checkdown.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Finally Kennesaw State has the representation it deserves! I have no idea what state Kennesaw State is in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Bears had a ton of needs and I think going with best player available over filling specific spots is the smarter strategy. This was a draft very deep in corners and defensive tackles. They were able to get guys who project as starters with upside in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I'd also add that they did draft a couple of potential weapons. Tyler Scott seems like a steal where they got him and Johnson seems like a very valuable running back in the passing game (he was rated the best pass blocking RB in the draft). So it's not like there isn't some help.

With that said, it seems clear the Bears value physical specimens with elite athletic skills. Guys who maybe were in the wrong system in college or need some coaching up.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1652448865008644097

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Finally Kennesaw State has the representation it deserves! I have no idea what state Kennesaw State is in.

Eberflus saw some loving 310 pound DT run a 5 sec 40, with a 9 inch broad jump and good vert from some random school and was just like bring him in lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/rff_football/status/1652450107189522433

https://twitter.com/jacobinfante24/status/1652451043777695744

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1652452915494223872
https://twitter.com/JDiPaola_Trib/status/1652453409457422337

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 30, 2023

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Son of Travis Bagent, ex world champ armwrestling. Had a good, albeit DII career

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
“What should they draft, then, with Justin who calls himself Fields?” Hoot asked. They all answered, “DEFENSIVE LINE!”
“Why? What o-linemen have committed?” asked Hoot. But they shouted all the louder, “DEFENSIVE LINE!”
When Hoot saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an slapfight was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s murder,” he said. “the sacks and injury will be on you!”
All the posters answered, “His sacks are on us and on our shitposts!”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/detroitsc2020/status/1652451629101207552?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What gently caress Joseph went undrafted? He was incredible his freshman year at NU before he transferred to ND.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

What gently caress Joseph went undrafted? He was incredible his freshman year at NU before he transferred to ND.

He had the stink of NU on him

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1652463018964402177

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is Ryan Hilinski available to be signed?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

I don't think he declared? He has another year of eligibility, I think.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I saw his school get shithoused by Ferris State a couple of years ago. Everyone was bad but he has an absolute cannon for an arm. Best arm I think I've ever seen in D2.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Dude blew put his ACL and will be a senior, but probably lost his job to Brandon Sullivan.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

I don't think he declared? He has another year of eligibility, I think.

I have no clue, I just remembered he was the Northwestern QB and was supposedly a good recruit years ago.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I have no idea what state Kennesaw State is in.

It's on the border of Kentucky, Tennesee, and Arkansaw

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1652474388858519552

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

HootTheOwl posted:

“What should they draft, then, with Justin who calls himself Fields?” Hoot asked. They all answered, “DEFENSIVE LINE!”
“Why? What o-linemen have committed?” asked Hoot. But they shouted all the louder, “DEFENSIVE LINE!”
When Hoot saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an slapfight was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s murder,” he said. “the sacks and injury will be on you!”
All the posters answered, “His sacks are on us and on our shitposts!”

HootTheOwl died for our sins.

I really wanted Tippman, but Bears were never in a position to draft him. I understand why they wouldn't. Last year they signed Lucas Patrick, who played six loving snaps all year. They also drafted Doug Kramer as a development project. With Whitehair having center experience, it is easy to see why they felt the position wasn't a priority.

Right tackle was their biggest need. They spent their first round pick on that.

Braxton Jones is clearly a guy they believe in this year, so left tackle is covered.

Assuming Patrick or Kramer can step up at center, they have Whitehair, Jenkins, and Nate Davis to cover the guard positions.

On top of all that, the Bears also drafted late round developmental guy last year Ja'Tyre Carter.

Whereas on the defensive line they had Dominique Robinson and Trevis Gibson.

Is it really that bad to trust your scouting that some guys will develop. Poles crushed it.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

What level of interest and commitment is this exactly? It's less than a UDFA, but is it more than just a paid sleep away camp ticket?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

What level of interest and commitment is this exactly? It's less than a UDFA, but is it more than just a paid sleep away camp ticket?

I have no clue, but I loving love the name Japan Blue.

Elite Name Tool.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sounds like a prince song

also, i'll raise you
https://twitter.com/InsideNoVA/status/1652457493467889665?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well after an exciting draft weekend i think there's something we can all agree on:

da bears

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

R.D. Mangles posted:

well after an exciting draft weekend i think there's something we can all agree on:

da bears

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Bears are indeed a team that exists, and play football in Chicago.