Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I bet Starfield hates Moondays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

1glitch0 posted:

Showcase in June, game in September. If you believe TODD HOWARD.

A man that cannot tell a lie.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its really funny that half the things that got memed about with todd boil down to things like "yeah, the game map is bigger so we made the engine support LODs more."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel confident about this one, I think Starfield will for sure launch in September. It's going to receive massive critical acclaim and sell extremely well, but will have a lot of obvious bugs/glitches, and its handcrafted gameplay parts won't be as big as people would like or were hoping for, and it will all be spread out pretty thin cause there are 1000 planets you can visit. That, or it will all be contained to a small handful of planets, and the rest will be procedural generated content, and places where you can set down and build your own outposts.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I said come in! posted:

I feel confident about this one, I think Starfield will for sure launch in September. It's going to receive massive critical acclaim and sell extremely well, but will have a lot of obvious bugs/glitches, and its handcrafted gameplay parts won't be as big as people would like or were hoping for, and it will all be spread out pretty thin cause there are 1000 planets you can visit. That, or it will all be contained to a small handful of planets, and the rest will be procedural generated content, and places where you can set down and build your own outposts.

sounds good

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So when does Redfall drop? Everyone says May 2, but on the store it says May 1st at 7 PM.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Releasing a game that's buggy/broken on launch isn't all that special any more

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

drat, I forgot just how close to May it already is

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s right the year is pretty much halfway over, enjoy 2023 now because 2024 is an election year and those always suck the most

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lammasu posted:

So when does Redfall drop? Everyone says May 2, but on the store it says May 1st at 7 PM.

7 PM

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

hatty posted:

That’s right the year is pretty much halfway over, enjoy 2023 now because 2024 is an election year and those always suck the most

2016 has a bunch of bangers. Like DOOM (2016)!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lammasu posted:

You answered your own question. :P that 7pm release time is correct. Looking forward to trying the game on PC, but I am sure that I will be uninstalling it quickly. I just don't see anything about it that looks compelling.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

A man that cannot tell a lie.

It just works™

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

I said come in! posted:

Well yeah duh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I strongly believe that Starfield does not exist and Todd Howard has been lying when he said he was working on it

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Lammasu posted:

https://twitter.com/playRedfall/status/1651594704855728129?s=20

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Todd Howard story time.

My best friend and I went to PAX in 2008 in Seattle. They were demoing Fallout 3 on the showfloor. My friend was super excited for it, so we went there first thing on Day 1. Todd Howard was actually manning a demo station that day, just standing by to talk players through some highlights of the demo. He wasn't like a super big name at the time, but it's hard not to recognize that hair. My friend got that demo station, and as he walks into Megaton and the sheriff guy comes up to talk, Todd starts telling him about how the choices you make in the conversation will affect the future of the town. You know the pitch. As Todd finishes up his speech, my friend just says, "can I shoot him?" Todd's caught off guard a moment and says "...well yeah, you can." My friend blasts the sheriff in the face, the whole town comes out guns blazing and fills him with holes, and we walk away having had a great five minutes in Fallout 3.

I hope that didn't set the tone of the whole weekend for Todd, but having worked showfloors myself, it probably did. Sorry, Todd.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Game developers could learn a thing or two from the GM playbook. Players are chaos incarnate and will create havoc anywhere they go. Knowing and accepting that is part of the gig, imho.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The original argument was that Starfield will be delayed further.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's the game we're getting irrespective of when it comes out

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

BurningBeard posted:

Game developers could learn a thing or two from the GM playbook. Players are chaos incarnate and will create havoc anywhere they go. Knowing and accepting that is part of the gig, imho.

If only game developers had heard of D&D who could imagine what they'd create!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

MJBuddy posted:

If only game developers had heard of D&D who could imagine what they'd create!

The only developer I'm aware of that actually manages to make a vague approximation of tabletop is Larian Studios

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

BurningBeard posted:

The only developer I'm aware of that actually manages to make a vague approximation of tabletop is Larian Studios

Yeah, like, what if there was some tabletop rpg elements in Bethesda games? That'd be something.

E: ok I'll stop being sarcastic for a minute: the literal thing you're originally replying to is someone being presented a variety of paths and choosing one that was not presented to them and the games continues on to resolution and responds to that choice. You're right a lot of devs don't build that in, but Bethesda games always have. Elder Scrolls games had TTRPG systems under the hood until Skyrim, basically, and it's how I learned most of them as a kid, and Fallout has them too, including rolling for skill checks.

So yeah, it's not very common. Probably like 5 developers are trying to do it in the big budget space, with Obsidian, Bethesda, Larian, inXile being the most notable?

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 30, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Tbh the best thing about Baldurs Gate 3 is being able to roll the d20 for all kinds of poo poo, and I'm not sure if that says something good or bad about that game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I Believe In Larian.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Tbh the best thing about Baldurs Gate 3 is being able to roll the d20 for all kinds of poo poo, and I'm not sure if that says something good or bad about that game.

I'm really excited for Baldur's Gate 3. I have avoided the Early Access version, but I will be there day one once its fully complete.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

I'm really excited for Baldur's Gate 3. I have avoided the Early Access version, but I will be there day one once its fully complete.

I've fiddled with it a bit just to check out how well it replicates 5e systems but I'm otherwise in the same boat. I'm not crazy about some of the guardrails they've put in place, but there's some cool poo poo like spell combos (grease/fire) that they've brought over from Divinity. The bespoke area in EA has lots of different ways to approach things depending on your character and party comp and my biggest concern is that the rest of the game won't be able to keep up with that level of granularity.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

MJBuddy posted:

Yeah, like, what if there was some tabletop rpg elements in Bethesda games? That'd be something.

E: ok I'll stop being sarcastic for a minute: the literal thing you're originally replying to is someone being presented a variety of paths and choosing one that was not presented to them and the games continues on to resolution and responds to that choice. You're right a lot of devs don't build that in, but Bethesda games always have. Elder Scrolls games had TTRPG systems under the hood until Skyrim, basically, and it's how I learned most of them as a kid, and Fallout has them too, including rolling for skill checks.

So yeah, it's not very common. Probably like 5 developers are trying to do it in the big budget space, with Obsidian, Bethesda, Larian, inXile being the most notable?

Yeah it was less a direct reply to the post and more just a love of that style of game, which remains kinda rare.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is what I'm expecting, pretty much. Skyrim in space, for all that entails. I'll play that trash relentlessly.

Also like one more day til redfall is out, excited to see how good and/or bad it is!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can forgive these terrible takes on Gyro and Haptics because it means you haven't played much on PS5.

no one has played much on PS5 because it has no games

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Laserface posted:

Lots to play, the most recent masterclass is RE4:R with incredible trigger pull details and gyro aiming.

Mods please change my name to Haptical Sales Slut / Haptically Horny

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

This is what I'm expecting, pretty much. Skyrim in space, for all that entails. I'll play that trash relentlessly.

Also like one more day til redfall is out, excited to see how good and/or bad it is!

I'll be happy if the optimization is just good on PC. Gonna be playing as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Laserface posted:

I'm playing Jedi Survivor, Final Fantasy Final Bar Line, and Gran Turismo 7 the most on PS5 currently.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's not that hard not spending hundreds of dollars on a Spiderman: Miles Morales and Bloodborne Machine, but it's harder than you might think

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I think achievements aren't working on BlazBlue Cross tag.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously asking . Are they even bothering to manufacture the series X any more? havnt seen one in a store since I bought mine. Target has the series S for $50 off right now. Seems they can’t unload this gameless wonder fast enough and Microsoft is about ready to walk away

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Seriously asking . Are they even bothering to manufacture the series X any more? ha my see no e in a store since I bought mine. Target has the series S for $50 off right now. Seems they can’t unload this gameless wonder fast enough and Microsoft is about ready to walk away

I see it all the time at Walmarts in Washington state targets rarely have consoles by default

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hello freakshow GBS guy who finally got banned's obvious rereg.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Hello freakshow GBS guy who finally got banned's obvious rereg.

Hello weird guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Hello weird guy

Lol yeah, he's the weird guy