Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'd forgotten about that, but I sure hope so. I hate fiddling around with equippables so I mostly just wear the strongest armor outside of something very specific like Thunderblight Ganon or hot/cold areas. If I could quickswap in a climbing set I'd actually get around to using it.

Complete Sheikah set, level 2.

I don't think I ever changed armor unless it was for some specific heat/cold purpose, or like a capstone boss fight.

It sucked that all the cool looking DLC gear required star fragments which were insanely rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the royal guard set is so dapper

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oxxidation posted:

the royal guard set is so dapper

that's the number one unupgradable/DLC armor I wish you could upgrade. Especially since it's a new design that is supposed to reflect something that was in use just before link got put in the shrine of resurrection, as opposed to a reference to another game excused by "the royal family had it under their protection in a vault somewhere and misko stole it".

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I change around armor frequently for fashion purposes and frequently use the due shop to make things green because I'm Link and Link is *green* drat it. Even the Wild Set is way better after you dye it green (from its default color, green).

Mildly disappointed in the wild set, all told. Those shorts are wack.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I dyed everything I could blue.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I actually really liked that BOTW not only did away with Link being green and made him blue, they made the whole drat cast blue

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
link’s new look was guaranteed to be a hit because it came from wind waker, from which all goodness springs

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

:hmmyes:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It is funny that they acknowledged that Link's island duds were his best look.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Oxxidation posted:

wind waker, from which all goodness springs

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I actually really liked that BOTW not only did away with Link being green and made him blue, they made the whole drat cast blue

I also think this is cool but I'm still gonna dye what I can green. Like, if your hylian hood isn't green, what are you even doing?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Name a better back to back to back dungeon sequence than Lanayru Mining Facility > Ancient Cistern > Sand Ship

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

link should be green.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Blue Link got his time in the sun but it's time for Purple Link to get a main game.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014

Mahoning posted:

Name a better back to back to back dungeon sequence than Lanayru Mining Facility > Ancient Cistern > Sand Ship

Snowhead Temple -> Great Bay Temple -> Stone Tower Temple

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sandship owned. Like being on a Mario 3 koopas shop level but you're the elf from Zelda instead

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mahoning posted:

the entirety of Lorule

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Augus posted:

the entirety of Lorule
Probably this, yeah, but Forest, Fire, and Water Temples were a nice three-in-a-row except for that one key.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mahoning posted:

I fundamentally agree with every criticism of Skyward Sword but the fact that these three dungeons are in it prevent it from being bad. Also, Sky Keep is another S-tier, easily the best Final Dungeon That Incorporates Elements of All the Previous Dungeons in Zelda.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I've been replaying Ocarina of Time with my partner and while completing the Water Temple I found myself constantly apologizing for bad gameplay decisions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope this game will have a hookshot so I can ignore most attempts to make me be creative and build something

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lets Pickle posted:

I've been replaying Ocarina of Time with my partner and while completing the Water Temple I found myself constantly apologizing for bad gameplay decisions.
Honestly, when I posted that I forgot about all the quality of life improvements the 3DS made, 'cause yeah. The original fuckin' sucked.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm avoiding looking up videos, how does the recipe book work for things that can have multiple combinations that give the same result.

What we need isn't a recipe book but a onscreen indicator of what the final product will be prior to cooking. I know there was some pretty good complexity for the monster parts, bugs, fish, and plants to make some great potions, I never got beyond the step of stacking the buff as high as possible, 3 silent snails, and just throwing in whatever monster part I had the most of.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

Probably this, yeah, but Forest, Fire, and Water Temples were a nice three-in-a-row except for that one key.

This is shadow temple erasure and I won't have it. Vibes and design of the shadow temple owned.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

This is shadow temple erasure and I won't have it. Vibes and design of the shadow temple owned.
Wasn't the shadow temple after and thus not subject to the three-in-a-row stipulation?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Agreed. You cannot make a three-in-a-row without including the best Ocarina dungeon, the Forest Temple.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fire-Water-Shadow better imo. Sorry Forest Temple but you missed the cut due to the combo being better than Forest-Fire-Water.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Mahoning posted:

The music too, mmm

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Honestly, among those three music-wise, Mining Facility is absolutely carrying it.

I knew the music slapped within one second of entering the dungeon, that buh-duh-buh-duh-buh-duh-buh-duh was immediately distinctive.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I also think this is cool but I'm still gonna dye what I can green. Like, if your hylian hood isn't green, what are you even doing?

Red hylian hood + champion's tunic tho:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really look forward to people eventually doing poo poo like this in ToTK

https://twitter.com/super_roujin/status/1652289969665499140?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I missed it the first time around but one of the memories calls out that the blue threads for the champions were all created by Zelda, who frequently is associated with "blue" in the same way Link / Courage is green and Ganondorf / Power is red. So making blue his color is both a practical design decision and has a lore tie in. It's neat!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Much like me, he got a blue shirt by voting for Zelda in the upcoming splatfest

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WarpDogs posted:

a practical design decision and has a lore tie in. It's neat!
Ooh! What was the practical design decision?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

LividLiquid posted:

Ooh! What was the practical design decision?

The world is full of shades of green and yellow, so blue pops out more. Blue is also a signpost color for "success / completed / good" in the game, so your eyes are constantly scanning for it (alongside the other signpost colors of orange and red, both of which pair well with blue)

There was an Aonuma interview that talked about this stuff, and also one of the game design YouTubers (or maybe Idle Thumbs) went into it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Today in "things I only just learned about Breath of the Wild," it turns out Eventide Island has a paraglider course if you go back after completing the shrine quest.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I’ve heard some interviews with people who got to play the official demo and there were a couple of good points made that I hadn’t thought of.

First, that when playing TotK it’s hard (at least for their short play durations) to forget that it’s not BotW. I’m sure this fades after a few hours but it’s interesting to think of, and consider the relative few who will play TotK first.

Also, TotK might really outdate BotW. Now having two 50+ hour open world Zelda games, and personally having a growing household, I’m going to probably say goodbye to BotW for a while. It was the only game I wanted to play for at least a year and I think TotK will be the same.

As for speculation I’m now betting on end game or DLC giving a master chopper to fly between islands, or at least a horse with rockets on it..

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On my new OLED Switch I just noticed that you can spend these Nintendo points (that I apparently had quite a few of from past purchases) on a new avatar. I was still using one of the default ones.

I made an avatar that is a Revali face surrounded by a circle, with a green background. I have truly personalized my experience now.

superjew posted:

I’ve heard some interviews with people who got to play the official demo and there were a couple of good points made that I hadn’t thought of.

First, that when playing TotK it’s hard (at least for their short play durations) to forget that it’s not BotW. I’m sure this fades after a few hours but it’s interesting to think of, and consider the relative few who will play TotK first.

Also, TotK might really outdate BotW. Now having two 50+ hour open world Zelda games, and personally having a growing household, I’m going to probably say goodbye to BotW for a while. It was the only game I wanted to play for at least a year and I think TotK will be the same.

As for speculation I’m now betting on end game or DLC giving a master chopper to fly between islands, or at least a horse with rockets on it..

I'm guessing you're talking about the Zeltik one since it mentioned both these things (and it was also by far the best of the preview videos I've seen and the only one to really go into significant detail - he obviously pushed the limits of what he could safely talk about).

Fortunately for me I didn't actually play a ton of BotW so I don't think I'll have a hard time unlearning things.

WarpDogs posted:

The world is full of shades of green and yellow, so blue pops out more. Blue is also a signpost color for "success / completed / good" in the game, so your eyes are constantly scanning for it (alongside the other signpost colors of orange and red, both of which pair well with blue)

There was an Aonuma interview that talked about this stuff, and also one of the game design YouTubers (or maybe Idle Thumbs) went into it

I appreciated that decision, since I often have a lot of trouble with colors in games due to being colorblind (and a lot of games are very bad about using green/red for "success vs failure" indicators - like FPS games that will have "bright green" for ally and "bright red" for enemy, etc).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to play more BotW, but I'm afraid I'm going to Hitman 2 myself and be burned out on the game by the time I get to TotK. Also, someone mentioned earlier I think that these games are bad for ADHD, and I think that's my problem too. Every time I load up the game, I get choice paralysis. I just started doing korok seeds because that's a straightforward path I can take using the map to find where they are and then figure out the puzzle when I get there. It lets me go from task to task without having to make decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WarpDogs posted:

Thank you! That is so loving cool.

Rand Brittain posted:

Today in "things I only just learned about Breath of the Wild," it turns out Eventide Island has a paraglider course if you go back after completing the shrine quest.
Nice! Did you have fun with it?

On a different note:

For the last several months, I've had this little ritual where every morning I drink my tea in bed and play old stuff on my modded 3DS and I just ran out of games...

So, hey, MokBa. Somehow you've remembered a bunch of stuff about Zelda that I've said over the years and have kind of a picture of how my weird autistic brain works and I value your opinion.

I've never played the Oracle games because they don't feel canon to me and haven't been referenced since, but this thread really seems to like them, so I have two questions:

Do you think I'd enjoy them if I could get past that pebble in my shoe?

And if I would, since one is puzzle-based and the other more combat-based, which do you think would I enjoy less than the other so I can start with it and end my dinner with dessert? I kinda' wanna' end with the one that started as a Zelda 1 remake for easy dopamine, but if you think I'd enjoy it less, I'll go the other way.