Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There should be a government type that gets legitimacy for not including the head of state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pakled posted:

Conquering oil, rubber, and opium-producing states when your homeland doesn't produce those things natively (or doesn't produce enough) has a definite positive impact on your economy no matter where you are in the timeline :v:

Again it's not as bad as it was in earlier patches, but it seems like even countries in your market don't recognize massive demand when they see it and don't produce enough of these vital, geographically-limited resources.

At the very least I'd like my capitalists to build up oil and rubber industries in friendly countries.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Is there a good guide for industrialisation as a small country without a lot of natural resources? I know you need to leech of a bigger market but I think it's gotten harder this patch - as Uruguay in the US sphere I go bankrupt basically as soon as I build another construction sector, but without one industrialisation is just too slow.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

At the very least I'd like my capitalists to build up oil and rubber industries in friendly countries.

I think foreign investment is planned to be added so hopefully that helps some.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Pakled posted:

Conquering oil, rubber, and opium-producing states when your homeland doesn't produce those things natively (or doesn't produce enough) has a definite positive impact on your economy no matter where you are in the timeline :v:

Right, conquering oil or rubber still makes sense, but after the early game this means starting the world war and it's hardly worth it. Which is fine from the narrative point of view, but it doesn't make for a compelling strategic gameplay.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
i got the Empire Under The Pun achievement! Yay! It was a pain in the rear end.

Picked up a few more of the Hard achievements but they’re all pretty much the same. I think the most interesting of them was Healthy Man of Europe.

I still haven’t played any of the European powers so I may try Austria or something next? The coming DLC seems very France focused so I’ll probably wait until that comes out to try and bring La Belle Époque to the whole of Europe.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

MinistryofLard posted:

Is there a good guide for industrialisation as a small country without a lot of natural resources? I know you need to leech of a bigger market but I think it's gotten harder this patch - as Uruguay in the US sphere I go bankrupt basically as soon as I build another construction sector, but without one industrialisation is just too slow.

imo you're way better off trying to just expand when you're that small or need resources. Build up a vassal ball and then use their tribute to fund your seed construction sectors on top of joining a market

Gato The Elder posted:

i got the Empire Under The Pun achievement! Yay! It was a pain in the rear end.

Picked up a few more of the Hard achievements but they’re all pretty much the same. I think the most interesting of them was Healthy Man of Europe.

I still haven’t played any of the European powers so I may try Austria or something next? The coming DLC seems very France focused so I’ll probably wait until that comes out to try and bring La Belle Époque to the whole of Europe.

try some flavor pack workshop stuff if you play austria, they're kind of bland as the big white blob

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Havent played since around launch, any DLC or anything big and interesting since then?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MinistryofLard posted:

Play any other country. Seriously, you don't have the resources OR the population to industrialize at a reasonable pace. If it was one or the other it might be fine, but not both.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Gort posted:

What's optimal as the UK? Day one, annex the East India Company?

Day One is annex Texas and New York. Use Texas as a staging ground to take the American Southwest/West. Taking the North American oil provinces is a lot less internationally provocative when they're Mexican vs. mid/lategame when they're American. Plus early game no other great power (except maybe France) has an interest in the regions, so you have a free hand.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fister Roboto posted:

Play any other country. Seriously, you don't have the resources OR the population to industrialize at a reasonable pace. If it was one or the other it might be fine, but not both.

I think Victoria is an outlier among Paradox games where there are just some countries you can't really play.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Fister Roboto posted:

drat that's a shame - making Uruguay into a great power has always been my go-to in Vicky since 1.

Funky Valentine posted:

I think Victoria is an outlier among Paradox games where there are just some countries you can't really play.

I'm getting that vibe, I think it's a current patch issue - I managed to do it successfully on the previous patch but somehow private construction sucking up half your build points so you're too slow to industrialise off the ground or it's just become more expensive or what.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The nerf to mass migrations means you can't reasonably just liberalise and get pop purely by existing, which makes a lot of small tags harder to play.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is there any state more useless than Rhode Island?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

FPyat posted:

Is there any state more useless than Rhode Island?

Put your faith in Providence because it has nothing else going for it

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Did they fix that thing where war fronts splintered into a 1000 parts yet?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Nektu posted:

no

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The US really has some bad states. DC is already fully employed at game start so you can't even expand your admin buildings there. In practice I end up treating NY or PA as the capital because they actually have people

Also, welcome back radia :toot:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I see that Columbia District can form the Free States of America in addition to Canada. Has anyone tried forming Canada then the FSA? Is such a thing doable/feasible?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Almost done with the Hegemon chieve and should be able to puppet China after the next truce.

But man, the last 35 years are an absolute slog, performance and mechanics wise. I'll post my whole thoughts when I'm done.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
New DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-dev-diary-84-french-content.1580973/

Coups and lots about france

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I like the general thrust of it but some of these journal entries are a bit too basic for me. The monarchist split is a case in point - it seems as if you get your preferred house in power for 10 years, press a button, and hey presto you’ve got Napoleon in charge. That’s a dramatic simplification of the events in real-life, and it seems particularly odd to have a DLC featuring coups and Napoleon III and not connect them in any way.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Nektu posted:

a little bit, its only 450 parts now

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I see that Columbia District can form the Free States of America in addition to Canada. Has anyone tried forming Canada then the FSA? Is such a thing doable/feasible?

it should be both doable and feasible if they're different title ranks and going canada doesnt lock you out of FSA (which I half suspect it would)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do we have a Multiplayer thread? My Megacampaign which is in the late 1700s in EU4 is converting soon to Victoria 3 and we're recruiting!

We need a player for Byzantium.
Potentially China.
Potentially Japan.
Idk maybe France?
Various Colonial nations/dominions.

Here's a preview WIP conversion map. Not truly reflective of current borders, many of the "decentralized" nations won't be, etc. Population will likely be redistributed based on EU4 Development etc.

The World:

Close up of Europe:

Close up of Asia:

Currently played nations:
Novgorod.
Kiev.
Bohemia.
Croatia.
W76 (Iberia).
W82 (Algeria).
England.
Friesland.
Papal States.
India.

I'm Novgorod and I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING OR HOW TO PLAY!!!

If anyone has any advice on how to play Russia But Without Ukraine/Southern Russia I'm all ears. I see Manchuria seems to have a lot of iron/coal; I see Lead here and there, and lots of wood/logging camps; but not sure what sort of technology or government reforms/laws I should be prioritizing.

Mongolia, all of the Norse Mythology themed countries, and Moria are all my vassals; and some of the Baltic. Most aren't populated so not sure how valuable they are or which ones I should be trying to annex asap or if I should be focusing on increasing my income first.

Most of my states seem hilariously underdeveloped, might just be a bad converter result, but I assume I want to expand my mines? That -80k/week is because of the vanilla chinese population I currently own using a massive amount of tax capacity and having massive barracks I can't really afford right now?

Byzantium is probably the most important slot we're trying to fill. It shows up decentralized but that will be fixed, they're right now one of the top four great powers in EU.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

looks like extremely good fluff! For certain fun in the players hands, but I wonder how effective the AI will be with it, and if they'll sometime choose one path over the other pro-actively.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973361 is the closest thing but this/other pdox game threads def have more traffic. Could try the linked mapgoons discord for a wider reach

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's all fun but it's a strange focus. I understand that a lot of people play France, but this is a country that has a lot of options already, probably more than anyone else. GB is stronger but it doesn't have as many people. I've just played France with the current patch and it felt quite aimless. I achieved egalitarian society objective (yeah, as France, I am a true hardcore gamer) and it feels like you have all the tools of the game with very few constraints. I'm not talking about difficulty but about the fact that the country with the most possibilities gets even more.

But maybe it's balanced by the challenges like Paris Commune.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Egalitarian Society sure seems easy compared to Hegemony, which requires you to conquer half the world. I shamefully couldn't manage it as Prussia.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ilitarist posted:

It's all fun but it's a strange focus. I understand that a lot of people play France, but this is a country that has a lot of options already, probably more than anyone else. GB is stronger but it doesn't have as many people. I've just played France with the current patch and it felt quite aimless. I achieved egalitarian society objective (yeah, as France, I am a true hardcore gamer) and it feels like you have all the tools of the game with very few constraints. I'm not talking about difficulty but about the fact that the country with the most possibilities gets even more.

But maybe it's balanced by the challenges like Paris Commune.

France is also a natural focus if you want to deal with revolutions..

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Nektu posted:

The optimal solution is treating bodies of water like regular land provinces. you'll have the occasional forts shooting each other inside of the ocean, but that's the price you have to pay

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Egalitarian Society sure seems easy compared to Hegemony, which requires you to conquer half the world. I shamefully couldn't manage it as Prussia.

Only half the world's population! I haven't gotten it either yet, but by 1900 you should be primed to grab the parts of China, India and Indonesia you'd need. Combined with your own nation's pop growth, ofc.

e: that's right, confidently talking about a cheevo i dont even have.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, I completed Economic Domination, then Egalitarian Society and thought I'll finish with the tutorial tasks by going Hegemony... And then I didn't. It doesn't help that your tasks are like have some munitions factories and decent army, and now suddenly conquer half of the world's population.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Hegemony is real easy, you just have to puppet or dominion them, which means the play becomes liberating and then puppetting nations. Breaking countries by cutting the capital off from the rest of the market is very strong. Nations like America are easily puppeted for example, but Britain needs you to take their subjects.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ilitarist posted:

I'm not talking about difficulty but about the fact that the country with the most possibilities gets even more.

Completely unfounded guessing but I wonder if they’re just looking at analytics and seeing which counties get the most play and start with those for flavor packs. With the sort of rocky game launch in mind, maybe they were playing it safe with a popular country getting DLC and holding off lesser played, non western countries (which I’d love, incidentally)

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Hegemony is almost certainly easiest as the UK. You already have India, just get swole enough to handle Pariah status and start devouring China. That's how I did it anyways.

Definitely the hardest of the 4 paths though. I'm usually a pretty peaceful guy in Paradox games, this play style felt kinda uncomfortable.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

yeah hegemony isnt too too difficult if you're already doing a pariah run, you just need to blob hard enough to be able to puppet china+russia and yoink india away from the brits

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Holy poo poo I ate Australia as Britain in 1906 and the AI had built NOTHING. Like 2 lumber camps in the whole continent. No oil rigs. No urban development at all. And they're part of the British market! All this poo poo is being demanded!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Weird bug: I thought I'd try reunifiying Canada as the Columbia District with an eye to trying to form the Free States of America later and for three games in a row Upper Canada decides to commit national suicide by independence war. Within a few months of game start.

That doesn't seem normal.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
Higher strata pops should radicalize when lower strata pops SoL increases.

EDIT: actually if you make it so pops radicalize for SoL increases in strata both higher and lower than theirs it may turbocharge the fascists in later-game capitalist empires that are attempting to re-develop the core (more jobs for lower strata and more profits for upper strata = resentful middle strata).

stumblebum fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

a little bit, its only 450 parts now

it should be both doable and feasible if they're different title ranks and going canada doesnt lock you out of FSA (which I half suspect it would)

I mean, while you get the event to reunite canada, you don't technically become Canada Canada until you press the form country button. So while that seems to be mutually exclusive, given that all of Canada counts as a homeland for Anglo-Canadians there's nothing stopping you from confederating Canada and then just going south, near as I can tell. As logn as you are good enough at the game, that is. (spoiler alert: I am not that good at the game).