Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DrPossum posted:

*me chuckling to myself* But I *do* always have a calculator, dear math teacher.
it's not stupider in the pop cultural sense of dumb-n-dumber, or the wailing of being unable to do math sliderules or write cursive; those are socially-constructed metrics of the opposite, no one should care about that. instead, its stupefaction of everything from understanding to decision making to connecting with other humans (the antonym of narcissism) being augmented or wholely replaced by the capital organism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well replaced would be a strong word I think, since it would imply a successful substitution that is sustainable far into the future. I suspect that is not the case. I dunno I'm probably just quibbling.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is good to be able to do basic, small-scale arithmetic reliably in your head, imo

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

V. Illych L. posted:

it is good to be able to do basic, small-scale arithmetic reliably in your head, imo

the only time it's ever been a problem for me was playing TTRPGs

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it also really helps give you a basic feel for when numbers are off in a more general sense - like, if you're shopping and something is scanned twice you're more likely to catch on to something being off if you're reasonably accustomed to dealing with numbers than if you're not

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Feels like Bancorp taking on a lot of toxic assets could spread quickly.

They're the backing bank for a ton of online-only ramshackle products.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

V. Illych L. posted:

i actually agree elementary-tier functional wisdom is useful but that's just a tangent. arguably that's a component of a broader 'understanding' term of being cognitive in the moment, present, instead of, say, zombified while undergoing basic processes because the system can't be wrong. you don't, or shouldn't, need to be math wizard to understand when you are being exploited (intentionally or otherwise)

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

WOTC terrorized a youtuber with the loving Pinkertons after he was mistakenly sent a box of unreleased cards.
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1650554910251921426?s=20

quote:

The presenter at oldschoolmtg described agents as “big heavy-hitter guys” who frightened his wife. The Pinkertons arrived with contact information for someone at Wizards of the Coast and, after speaking with them, the presenter said they made the decision to pull their original videos down.

“He was very apologetic about making my wife cry first thing in the morning by sending these heavy-duty lawmen [to] come collect stuff and talk about stolen products and jail time,” the presenter said in the video.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Akratic Method posted:

it’s idiocracy, except instead of that movie’s weird eugenics backstory, it’s just the atomizing forces of capitalism alienating us from everything bit by bit until even understanding it is impossible, let alone caring.

i was gunna yell at you for bringing up iodiocracy but it's actually a pretty godo analogy

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

WOTC terrorized a youtuber with the loving Pinkertons after he was mistakenly sent a box of unreleased cards.

So what's the actual legal basis for demanding the return of the cards if they aren't stolen goods? For that matter, what's the basis of pulling down content featuring them made by creators who weren't part of any official review embargo?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
might makes right

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

So what's the actual legal basis for demanding the return of the cards if they aren't stolen goods? For that matter, what's the basis of pulling down content featuring them made by creators who weren't part of any official review embargo?

There isn't any lol. That's why they sent in the Pickerington in the first place. It's easy to get what you want with vague threats if you got burly guys backing it up

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the many times crabs have arisen.

crabs are this planet experiencing itself

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Paradoxish posted:

first time hearing about the pinkertons, huh

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

This is the plot of inscryption lmao.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

going great!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

why would you even open the door in that situation

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sometimes they pretend to be cops.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

atelier morgan posted:

first time hearing about the pinkertons, huh

No I get it, I was just trying to figure out if WOTC is even claiming to be in the right here.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

simple trig by Pythagorean triples and memorizing 30, 45, 60 to close enough split vectors will outright frighten and anger folks.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Which is how the entire field of economics operates. Lies wearing simple arithmetic or, heaven help you, algebra are unquestionable truths

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pinkertons are quaint. The social media / cell phone tracking phone consultants are the ones that scare me.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Which is how the entire field of economics operates. Lies wearing simple arithmetic or, heaven help you, algebra are unquestionable truths

simple maths can be live or die stuff. like is that lifting arrangement adequate with the new sling angle or are we going to capsize are good working class arithmetic and algebra questions.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s not the math itself

it’s the question of does the math actually relate to and describe reality.

does the math as used have substance?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

holefoods posted:

why would you even open the door in that situation

You don't need to open the door for the Pinkertons to send you a message.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There are ads at this Washington Nationals game for America’s Banks (supporting customers and communities!) lol

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
If I had bothered to learn arithmetic in elementary school then I would've done better in middle school shop class and who knows maybe I would have ended up in the skilled trades 10 years earlier.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Pinkertons are quaint. The social media / cell phone tracking phone consultants are the ones that scare me.

The only time I've ever seen a part of a Kardashians show, Kim was talking about hiring someone to hack the voicemail of a person she didn't like, and I was thinking, didn't that bring down a British newspaper? How is that not illegal? And she was openly discussing it. I think about that from time to time.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
If a Pinkerton agent shows up to my door, he’ll be greeted by Mr Smith & Mr Wesson. I won’t let myself be intimidated by these thugs!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s not the math itself

If you take two made-up facts and do math to them, the resulting information is True because it's the product of math.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Crazypoops posted:

I love my papered over asbestos and lead death prison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmT4cIZWnuo

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Ditocoaf posted:

If you take two made-up facts and do math to them, the resulting information is True because it's the product of math.

this is how algorithms work!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I remember someone posting in here about slowly changing your social media posts/pictures into someone else and it will eventually get flagged and discarded. Doubt it's true. I regret posting on social media.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s not the math itself

fitting a Gaussian (“second order polynomial fit”) to Covid case graphs and using that as evidence that cases will go back down was a great example of this

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

If a Pinkerton agent shows up to my door, he’ll be greeted by Mr Smith & Mr Wesson. I won’t let myself be intimidated by these thugs!

agreed but at my house its mr glock and ms mossberg

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Stereotype posted:

fitting a Gaussian (“second order polynomial fit”) to Covid case graphs and using that as evidence that cases will go back down was a great example of this

Lies, drat Lies and Statistics Calculus.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

id just play dumb and tell them they have the wrong address

DefectiveTongue
Apr 27, 2023

by vyelkin
private security is reason why my company cannot publically report

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Popoto posted:

might makes right

100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"making my wife cry first thing in the morning by sending these heavy-duty lawmen [to] come collect stuff and talk about stolen products and jail time,"

I guess the correct move would be to not open the door and call the real cops? I can't imagine cops would be happy about security guards pretending to be cops.