Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

It's a little detail but I love the smiling, happy, diverse, all-ages "dedicated Tucker Carlson viewer" demographic being portrayed here. No mirror sunglasses, lovely goatee, or rage-filled scowl in sight.

They're all happy to no longer be on a boat with Tucker Carlson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah man why doesn't he do that in his home so nobody has to see him

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kellies nomination: gaslighter special

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Vib Rib posted:

It does hit me sometimes how hosed up our economic system is that people can talk about all work being automated and it's an ultimate nightmare scenario instead of a utopia.

How do you feel about the fact that our politicians are still talking about "jobs" as a vital commodity and defining aspect of human life, as opposed to "food, pleasant shelter, healthcare, entertainment and security"?

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 29, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Artificial Kid posted:

How do you feel about the fact that our politicians are still talking about "jobs" as a vial commodity and defining aspect of human life, as opposed to "food, pleasant shelter, healthcare, entertainment and security"?
Well that's just common sense, after all your value as a human being is based on how much money you can generate for corporations. Once you stop or even slow down, you might as well die.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And if the legislature did say that he couldn't but refused to provide safe injection facilities, what then?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's just primo Horsey there. Teenage tits and drug derelicts, yeehaw! :horse:

e: even the background bikini baby posing suggestively, he really put so much love in this one

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 29, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And not a single person smoking a cigarette or barbecuing fish or vaping a 500W powerberry fog machine or eating durian, or many other things that are both more antisocial and more common to see in public (and in two of those cases literally administering drugs in public so that everyone else gets a lungful).

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im sure it's just oversight that led to only having one yard sign for only one of the rapist candidates and in no way would you say to vote for yours

gently caress you bennett

Edit: Kellies Nomination: Willful Hypocrisy

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 28, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Clay Bennett

To be fair, there should be two of these signs.
Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pedro X. Molina
Kellies Nomination: Best Overall
I think it's a good visual metaphor

Kellies Nomination: Worst Use of Speech Bubbles

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

the_steve posted:

Why would GenZ be trying to insert the part that goes into the phone into the power outlet? It would make more sense for the outlet to be a rotary phone

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Not the Guardian:

Richard Sharp resigns as BBC chair after failing to declare link to Boris Johnson loan
The Guardian pulls cartoon of outgoing BBC boss Richard Sharp after antisemitism backlash

Rowson's Website posted:

On Saturday 29th April 2023 The Guardian published a cartoon of mine about Richard Sharp’s resignation as Chairman of the BBC, the top news item the previous day. The main focus of the cartoon was Boris Johnson sitting naked on top of a dungheap holding bags full of dollars, with various wheeliebins around its base, labelled “Patrons”, “Friends”, “Families” and so on. Johnson was saying to Sharp, as the latter was leaving the dilapidated and clearly fire damaged room they were in, “Cheer up, matey! I put you down for a peerage in my Resignation Honours List!”

I think the purpose of the cartoon was fairly obvious - Johnson’s blithe toxicity by association, and how Sharp was the latest bit of blowback from the former Prime Minister’s
casual if all consuming sleaziness and selfishness. None of that, however, seems to have fuelled the furious response to the cartoon. That was all down to how I depicted Richard Sharp.

In the internal narrative of the cartoon, I’d wanted Sharp to play the stooge, the fall guy Johnson had brought low. I also wanted to hint at other parts of the story, and how the networks of croneyism cut every which way among our rulers. It is common knowledge, for instance, that Rishi Sunak used to work for Sharp at Goldman Sachs, the multinational bank infamously described by Matt Taimmi in Rolling Stone in 2008 as “a vampire squid wrapped round the face of humanity”. To signify this not insignificant connection between Sharp and the current Prime Minister, I had him holding a cardboard box, the standard accessory of the just sacked, with the Goldman Sachs logo on it, albeit partially covered by his CV, also held in one of the hands holding the box. The logo’s been crossed out and “BBC” scribbled beneath it, also now crossed out. In the box are Sunak and the aforementioned vampire squid, in a rather cutesy cartoon form, and with the typical yellow polyped skin that stretches between the tentacles of vampire squid.

And this is where things started going wrong. The portrayal of Sharp takes up 3% of the overall image. I was trying to draw him looking silently furious, by implication with Johnson, in the standard caricatural way common to all political cartoons of exaggerating various of his features (most prominently, I thought, his large forehead and rather hooded, baggy eyes). I thought, at the time, it was a fairly mild caricature compared with how I’d draw Johnson. But I’d also never drawn Sharp before, so maybe overworked it to satisfy myself I’d “caught him”; in David Low’s famous phrase, made him look more like him than he does.

Oh, and then I added, just for a laugh as a tiny detail, an empty packet of “Dignity Shreds” at the base of Johnson’s dunghill, with a pig behind an attendant fur cup snarfing a clump of them up.

I like to produce complex cartoons, crammed with incidental detail, partly it allows layers of nuance to be added to the overall umage, partly because it’s the English Cartooning Great Tradition, from Hogarth and Gillray, via Giles and Pont. Also, I know, a lot of the readers enjoy it. But sometimes, like in this case, in the mad rush to cram as much in as possible in the 5 or so hours available to me to produce the artwork by deadline, things go horribly wrong.

Satirists, even though largely licenced to speak the unspeakable in liberal democracies, are no more immune to loving things up than anyone else, which is what I did here. I know Richard Sharp is Jewish; actually, while we’re collecting networks of croneyism, I was at school with him, though I doubt he remembers me. His Jewishness never crossed my mind as I drew him as it’s wholly irrelevant to the story or his actions, and it played no conscious role in how I twisted his features according to the standard cartooning playbook. Likewise, the cute squid and the little Rishi were no more than that, a cartoon squid and a short Prime Minister, it never occurring to me that some might see them as puppets of Sharp, this being another notorious antisemitic trope. As for the pig and the “Dignity Shreds”, I think I painted them red as like scraps of licorice, again not appreciating they could also be interpreted as blood, repeating yet again antisemitic blood libels that have recurred poisonously for millennia. Finally, fatally, many people assumed the yellow polyps on the squid were gold coins and the truncated Goldman Sachs logo simply read “Gold Sacs”.

For this I apologise, though I’m not going to repeat the current formulation by saying I’m sorry if people were upset, which is always code for “I’ve done nothing wrong, you’re just oversensitive”. This is on me, even if accidentally or, more precisely, thoughtlessly. It’s a personal mantra of mine that satirical cartoons are like journalism, all about Afflicting the Comfortable and Comforting the Afflicted. In other words, I should never attack people less powerful than me (which narrows the field more than you might imagine) and I should only attack people for what they think, not who they are.

So by any definition, most of all my own, the cartoon was a failure and on many levels: I offended the wrong people, Sharp wasn’t the main target of the satire, I rushed at something without allowing enough time to consider things with the depth and care they require, and thereby letting slip in stupid ambiguities that have ended up appearing to be something I never intended. But as I’ve always said, once my work is in the public domain, it no longer belongs to me but to the beholder, in whose eye offence dwells just as surely as beauty.

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. To work effectively, cartoons almost more than any other part of journalism require eternal vigilance, against unconscious bias as well as things that should be obvious and in this case, unforgivably, I didnt even think about. There are sensitivities it is our obligation to respect in order to achieve our satirical purposes. Despite the tyranny of the deadline, in future I’ll make sure I’ve drawn what I really mean, and mean what I draw.

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

After Joshua Reyonlds and Bernard Cornwell.

The i paper:

Times:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

the_steve posted:

Except EU forced GenZ to use USB-C instead of Lightning.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Rowson's Website posted:

For this I apologise, though I’m not going to repeat the current formulation by saying I’m sorry if people were upset, which is always code for “I’ve done nothing wrong, you’re just oversensitive”. This is on me, even if accidentally or, more precisely, thoughtlessly. It’s a personal mantra of mine that satirical cartoons are like journalism, all about Afflicting the Comfortable and Comforting the Afflicted. In other words, I should never attack people less powerful than me (which narrows the field more than you might imagine) and I should only attack people for what they think, not who they are.

So by any definition, most of all my own, the cartoon was a failure and on many levels: I offended the wrong people, Sharp wasn’t the main target of the satire, I rushed at something without allowing enough time to consider things with the depth and care they require, and thereby letting slip in stupid ambiguities that have ended up appearing to be something I never intended. But as I’ve always said, once my work is in the public domain, it no longer belongs to me but to the beholder, in whose eye offence dwells just as surely as beauty.

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. To work effectively, cartoons almost more than any other part of journalism require eternal vigilance, against unconscious bias as well as things that should be obvious and in this case, unforgivably, I didnt even think about. There are sensitivities it is our obligation to respect in order to achieve our satirical purposes. Despite the tyranny of the deadline, in future I’ll make sure I’ve drawn what I really mean, and mean what I draw.
What the hell is this guy drinking and how can we get every other so-called 'satirist' on the planet to drink it too? Honestly impressed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*immediately goes back to drawing giant red lips on every BAME caricature*

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Kellies nomination: Best overall

idonotlikepeas posted:

[

David Horsey

Kellies nomination: gently caress you

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Haitian posted:

Kellies nomination: Best overall

It's from 2022.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Horsey's career arc is a terrifying example of boomerism. He really did become a pretty all around balanced cool dude for awhile in like the later 2000's and 2010, but the boomer disease could not be stopped, and his brain is well Swissed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 29, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Horsey’s horny for two things, but of the two he’s far hornier for killing the poor.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

I might have scrolled past it but what cartoon is this specifically referring to?

It's exactly two posts above the one you quoted, at the beginning of the post :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So it is, nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 30, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Saint Sputnik posted:

Why would GenZ be trying to insert the part that goes into the phone into the power outlet? It would make more sense for the outlet to be a rotary phone
USB C cables are male/male. Like with my phone I would put that end into an adapter and then into the wall. That way if I remove the adapter I can plug the cable info my computer, or another device. (Phone to phone, for example)

Lol
Both Biden and trump are ungrounded

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 30, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I should have posted the rant with that Horsey cartoon.

David Horsey posted:

Anyone who has spent time in downtown Seattle over the last few years has come across people openly injecting, smoking or otherwise loading up on hard drugs right on the sidewalk. Just about everyone agrees this is not a good thing, but it is hard to find agreement about how to deal with the problem.

Do we need tougher laws that would force street drug users to make a choice between jail time and treatment? Do we eliminate all legal penalties for possession of these killer substances and rely on programs to coax the drug afflicted into rehabilitation programs? Or do we try something in between, a compromise blend of carrots and sticks?

That is exactly the issue the state House of Representatives failed to resolve before this year’s legislative session ended. A compromise plan that would have made possession of hard drugs a gross misdemeanor did not get enough votes to pass. Opposition came from both sides of the issue: hard line Republicans who demanded tougher legal penalties and progressive Democrats who wanted no penalties at all.

Action was necessary because, two years ago, the Washington State Supreme Court struck down the state’s prohibition against possession of a controlled substance, which was then considered a felony. A subsequent stopgap law making drug possession a misdemeanor to be enforced on the third violation is set to expire in July. That means, if state lawmakers do nothing further, drug possession will soon be legal throughout the state.

That would be a win for the no penalties side, except local governments will not stand by and do nothing. Municipal authorities around the state will come up with their own laws, which will invariably range from tough to mild. Before that happens, though, it appears Gov. Jay Inslee will call the Legislature back into session to take another shot at passing a uniform legal standard for the state.

With no consensus on the issue, compromise is the only way to go; an imperfect legislative response to a disturbing social malady that will not be easily healed by any scheme, no matter how tough or humane.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

idonotlikepeas posted:

I should have posted the rant with that Horsey cartoon.

As rants go, it's a quite reasonable one if considered in isolation given that it's mostly blaming the legislature.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Didn't Gen Z go for the Dems by a 40 plus margin in the midterm? I don't think it makes sense because it implies that Gen Z isn't going to vote for either of them.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

IIRC the margin was something like 77 to 21, D to R.

Has to be indoctrination, and not horrible policies of the right.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

I AM GRANDO posted:

Horsey’s horny for two things, but of the two he’s far hornier for killing the poor.
Horny for killing the poor, especially the homeless, and teenagers...

Dear Lord never let this man find Metamorphosis

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His art quality does increase significantly whenever he's in a certain mindset though, so in summary

hooman posted:

Horsey should go back to drawing bomb-rear end titties, becuase that was actually less offensive than this garbage.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Pedro X. Molina

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

David M. Hitch

He's going to have to go seriously wormbama if he wants to fit any more faces in here.

Darrin Bell

Randall Enos - The United States of Guns

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

He's going to have to go seriously wormbama if he wants to fit any more faces in here.
This guy is just getting more and more unhinged.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh yeah, Hitch? What words can't you say, exactly?
For that matter, what loving cars have been banned? What guns have actually been seized? What 8 year old is having bottom surgery? What loving bugs are you being served??

"Conservatives vs their imaginations" memes are everywhere for a reason, god drat.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

"The more faces I fit into a picture means the more people are saying things I agree with"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted.

Dinosaurs did go extinct, Fishman.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Wait, but why would Mickey be wearing...what?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Wait, but why would Mickey be wearing...what?

I'm pretty sure trying to understand it is some kind of mental trap that will just make you insane

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Note that there is no indication the adults are going to harm the child in any way, or that the child isn't trans (no, Mike, the pink doesn't count)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Technowolf posted:

Kellies nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Note that there is no indication the adults are going to harm the child in any way, or that the child isn't trans (no, Mike, the pink doesn't count)

why would a child that age, going on puberty blockers, require top surgery

Perhaps the adult on the left is having it? Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Murdstone posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted.

Dinosaurs did go extinct, Fishman.

Ummm actually dinosaurs didn't go extinct, they survived as birds