Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

One house please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

City earned income tax is 3% and there will absolutely be a reassessment after sale to what they paid at 22.99 mills

I don't think the city is doing much in the way of reassessments right now. My neighbor bought a far more expensive house than that and hasn't been reassessed in 2 years, neither have I for that matter and I bought a little over 2 years ago.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Me sowing: houses are awesome
Me Reaping: what the gently caress are taxes

quote:

Homeowners across the state will need to set aside more money to cover their property taxes next year — significantly more money — based on the higher property values that county assessors have calculated and will notify them about early next month.

Nine county assessors along the Front Range on Wednesday revealed the median increases in residential properties, which are valued on a two-year cycle in Colorado. The two-year increases are “historic” and “unprecedented” assessors said, ranging from 33% in Denver County to 47% in Douglas County.

Adams County reported a median residential value gain of 38%, Araphaoe came in at 42%, Boulder was at 35%, Broomfield at 41%, Elbert at 35%, Jefferson at 36.5% and Larimer at 40%. And as robust as those gains were, median increases in the mountain resorts ran in the 40% to 60% range, with a few pockets approaching 70%.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/04/26/colorado-home-values-property-taxes-increase/

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

City earned income tax is 3% and there will absolutely be a reassessment after sale to what they paid at 22.99 mills

Is that on top of Pennsylvania state income tax? I'm not getting it.

nevermind i googled it. it seems it is. wtf?

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Apr 27, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

Is that on top of Pennsylvania state income tax? I'm not getting it.

nevermind i googled it. it seems it is. wtf?

yep, that's the norm all over the state

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I still can’t figure out on house shows in Canada where all these houses are $1 million and the people who live there I don’t think are earning super high salaries but yet they have like $150,000 for renovations. Are they just taking an equity loan?

Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

I don't think the city is doing much in the way of reassessments right now. My neighbor bought a far more expensive house than that and hasn't been reassessed in 2 years, neither have I for that matter and I bought a little over 2 years ago.

usually the school district sues for a reassessment, it doesn't happen everywhere but if you're in a really trendy neighborhood it's more likely. was happening a lot in Regent Square a few years ago

I'm still sitting on a ~$65K assessment but I don't expect that to last forever

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

sonatinas posted:

I still can’t figure out on house shows in Canada where all these houses are $1 million and the people who live there I don’t think are earning super high salaries but yet they have like $150,000 for renovations. Are they just taking an equity loan?

those shows usually provide the home owners funds or help get them loans (I think?)

Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

The house shows are completely made up. the house prices are made up, the budgets are made up, the jobs are made up.

A couple here that was on House Hunters said after the fact that they had to have already closed before applying to be on the show and had to provide the two comparables (they just borrowed family houses for a day of filming). The producers wrote a backstory for them.

Apr 7, 2003

The entire purpose of shows like House Hunters is product placement and influencing home decor / remodel trends, that's why you've got people pausing to say "I think we'll skip this house, I don't like that shade of green. I think we're looking for a muted blue color!" and the next commercial break has an ad for Behr Paints in muted blue colors, available now at Home Depot. Get more done.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah I think a lot of the money comes from lowes and hope depot too

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

A Bakers Cousin posted:

those shows usually provide the home owners funds or help get them loans (I think?)

It's way, way worse than that for a lot of these shows. Tons of them are just straight up inventing stories for the people on the show, who may or may not actually own the house and/or be in the market for one.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Hollywood magic!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

you're telling me loewes and home depot advertise on hgtv?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Here's an actual article from HGTV where they admit their flipping shows are bullshit:

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/hgtv-stars/articles/hgtv-behind-the-scenes-facts

quote:

Speaking of inside the home, many viewers swoon over the final layouts. But here’s the kicker: More often than not, the homes are staged, meaning the homeowners don’t get to keep the furniture and decor that’s shown on TV.

“Most if not all of our flipping shows are staged,” Betsy admits, noting that, depending on the client, sometimes the renovation will include some of the furniture.

That said, if the homeowners love the end look as much as the viewers do, they do have the option to purchase the staged pieces; it just goes beyond their initial budget for the show.

HGTV has been sued a few times because when they do work with real homeowners, they tend to really gently caress up or do damage or leave homes in unusable states. It's all loving garbage and it's contributing in a material way to the insane state of US housing.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

A Bakers Cousin posted:

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/04/26/colorado-home-values-property-taxes-increase/

unless you live in a county with unusually high property taxes they’re kind of a drop in the bucket compared to other expenses. if you own a million dollar home 10 grand annually should not be a big deal.

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

HGTV has been sued a few times because when they do work with real homeowners, they tend to really gently caress up or do damage or leave homes in unusable states. It's all loving garbage and it's contributing in a material way to the insane state of US housing.

Back when they started they were more of a how-to channel where some nice old guy would show you how to build a trellis or whatever but that didn't last long

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

quote:

When Spyder Active Sports founder David Jacobs decided to sell his 8,700-square-foot Boulder mansion in 2015, he listed it for $7.25 million. Five months later, he pulled it off the market.

He tried again in 2016 for $7.15 but removed the listing three months later.

Jacobs and his wife, Jean Conway, listed the four-bedroom, six-bath home on Lee Hill Drive again in February with a $15 million price tag.

If the Lee Hill Drive home sells for $15 million, it will shatter a record set in January when the $13 million sale of a Boulder estate became the county’s most expensive.

Hoeffler plans to market the mansion in publications like Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal.

Jacobs, who built the home after selling Spyder to a New York-based private equity firm for $100 million, said he had two requirements for architect John Mink.

He wanted a primary suite on the main floor and to look at his race cars while eating dinner.

quote:

Jacobs said it’s not easy to consider selling the home, but it’s too big for two people.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Here's an actual article from HGTV where they admit their flipping shows are bullshit:

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/hgtv-stars/articles/hgtv-behind-the-scenes-facts

I tattooed a guy who was in one of those “you’ve been nominated and are the lucky winner of: We tear down your house and build a new one in its place for free!” shows

new house was built on another lot somewhere else, old house was indeed destroyed, new house had 2x the square footage and was costing him 3x energy bills etc as the old house which had been perfectly fine. he ended up selling it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I too have come to the realization that 8700 sqft is too much for 2 people.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Eight-Six posted:

One house please.

that will be $900k, drive to window 2

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Good, they were too low in CO to begin with at a time during which more infrastructure is needed bc of new residents.

Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I too have come to the realization that 8700 sqft is too much for 2 people.

thinking about that timeshare billionaire in Queen of Versailles who built a massive house only to lock himself in a 20x20 room every day to avoid his kids

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Remember those stories about how families who were given rehabs bc of adopting 10 special-needs kids or w/e ended up not being able to afford the property taxes on the re-assessed properties?

eta: thinking of that abc show with ty hair-in-the-socket

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I talked to a rich guy once who said a rich neighbor of his had her house robbed by someone. She was home at the time but her house was so big the thief was able to enter, rob, and leave and she never even noticed he was there. Would give that thief a high five if I could.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Evanryt/status/1649912860753920001?cxt=HHwWgoCw-arA1eUtAAAA

Click the followup tweet for a good lol. Suburbanites rule

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Re0gdgBVf0

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1651722992274087937?s=20

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

swing would imply they went down at some point

DefectiveTongue
Apr 27, 2023

by vyelkin
hey if municipalities cannot survive the free market than they shall perish

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I refuse to check and see if this is real because I want it to be real.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1214-James-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15212_M45860-00518

Has been for sale since 2021. In response to a lack of interest they’ve raised the price from $385k to $415k. Love our functioning free market

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Thoguh posted:

I refuse to check and see if this is real because I want it to be real.

I just found the article while scrolling my morning news. It is indeed real.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/29/28-year-old-pays-62-a-month-to-live-in-a-dumpster-he-built-for-5000-in-london-take-a-look-inside.html

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

My take away is that he got free land in London and instead of building a real dwelling on it, he did this gimmick. As usual the key to cheap living is to be given a very valuable gift.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
There's no water or sewer and it doesn't appear to be insulated. He turned a dumpster into a wooden tent as a branding exercise.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MickeyFinn posted:

My take away is that he got free land in London and instead of building a real dwelling on it, he did this gimmick. As usual the key to cheap living is to be given a very valuable gift.

He's not even the first to do it: https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/why-professor-dumpsters-gimmicks-are-a-bunch-of-trash/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1214-James-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15212_M45860-00518

Has been for sale since 2021. In response to a lack of interest they’ve raised the price from $385k to $415k. Love our functioning free market
buy now... or else

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
lol at this guy living in a dumpster for $5000 when I got my whole house (condemned) for $4000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
my boomer dad is sad because he couldn’t buy a 8x15” plot of land for $20000 in time and now has to deal with someone that wants to use it as a boat launch and they’re suing each other because he claims the property is land locked and access to the water is trespassing by a couple feet. gently caress property owners. he wonders why I barely talk to him.