Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Scruffpuff posted:

For any other game I'd agree, but you know how SC handles copper pipes.

You're right, the copper would be torn out and sold to fund vitamins in the grand tradition of vitamin enjoyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Really if you’re a true Star Citizen fan you should ensure that you live within 500 meters of an AWS Data Center. Otherwise any network issues are your fault.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 29, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Really if you’re a true Star Citizen fan you should ensure that you live within 500 meters of an AWS Data Center.

500 meters noob? I'm living on top of the AWS serve racks disguised as a pile of empty pizza boxes like all the real SC fans. :hehe:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Cutedge posted:

1 mb is 1000x1000 (not getting into the holy war that is 1024 vs 1000, just doing this for simplicity)

1MB is 1000 x 1000 Bytes.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/UAHxwWz.mp4

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KH3Qou2omY

Long before Star Citizen, before Crobear, there was: Air Citizen! Includes remarks on the fidelity of aircraft flapping likes birds.

SCLUL
Jan 11, 2019

colonelwest posted:

I guess Chris played Cyberpunk so now it’s all hands on deck to entirely remake Loreville. What gameplay value does it bring to the table? Well uhmm, you can fly around the buildings and make pew pew sounds like you’re in Star Wars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFS4xI8fGC4

LMAO...I wonder if he watches Digital Foundry at all

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
“77% certainty that the game will not be ready by 2025”?

This thread always delivers.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

What are some things that give you hope about SC's development? There seems to be a lot of reasons that it could die a slow death or abandoned, I want to hear alternatives

quote:

Utter bullshit - there are no reasons why it should be abandoned or die a slow death. It already has features other game development studios would love to get their hands on.The

Very worst thing that could happen if support dried up is that it is partially dumbed down to the standard of other AAA games.

Chris is not the idiot people who hate him make out - he keeps a reserve in the bank, he has his own millions and he knows he could go to banks for loans or investors if the absolute worst happened.

It's not going to happen because this community wouldn't let it.

Middle age roots of Starcitizen world building? posted:

I recently began reading Norman Cohn's book "The Pursuit of the Millenium", abot millenarians in the middle ages. (I think parts from it were cited in a William Gibson novel, that's why.)

It is all about people who believe things are bad, very bad, but if they just hold out for a little while, a god or other powerful figure will intervene, things will drastically improve, and a new world will become available for everyone who will then live happily ever after (except for the unbelievers).

It sounded eerily familiar. But it is nice to see that traditions like that are upheld even in computer gaming, don't you think?

quote:

Good grief - this one is a stretch. The Millenarians like all 'believers' in invisible sky gods had to believe without any external evidence what-so-ever, they only had the word of the charlatans who herded them like sheep and prey on them.

Star Citizen and CIG produce evidence of both their existence and progress on a regular basis, you don't have to 'believe it' you can actually see it. Does that mean it's always sunshine and roses, no, but then only the gullible truly believe in some 'perfect path' to nirvana, the rest of us know it takes struggle and work to achieve the best.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I'd love to know where these people developed this idea that Chris Roberts is some genius money-conscious project manager who always has backup plans for how to finish a project under any circumstances, given the history of literally every project he's ever been a part of for the past 30 years.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I don't know the person but from what I've read here, Monocle Cat seems like a true believer.

I'm jealous because I wish I had the capacity to trust someone the way MC trusts Chris Roberts.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’ve been watching some reviews for Jedi Survivor and it can’t even hit 40fps on a 4090 with most of the settings on low. It’s like they purposefully set out to take the crown of worst optimized game away from Star Citizen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI6eAVvvmg0

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

colonelwest posted:

I’ve been watching some reviews for Jedi Survivor and it can’t even hit 40fps on a 4090 with most of the settings on low. It’s like they purposefully set out to take the crown of worst optimized game away from Star Citizen.

Which is sort of interesting as it runs on UE4.

Maybe they'll get it fixed over time (works for me, 70€ is a bit rich for my sensible spending habits, such as buying a 600€ Lego ISD and not finishing building it because it was a pain to assemble).

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

quote:

It already has features other game development studios would love to get their hands on

:allears:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

As proven by CIG’s successes at the big game shows. The other companies are just lining up to try SC.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drakkel posted:

I'd love to know where these people developed this idea that Chris Roberts is some genius money-conscious project manager who always has backup plans for how to finish a project under any circumstances, given the history of literally every project he's ever been a part of for the past 30 years.

I also want to know what supposed unique features they imagine that SC has and that others are clamouring for? As in, stuff it actually has, as opposed the dreams that it's supposed to have — at some point — that others won't also have at the time it comes out (if ever).

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Tippis posted:

I also want to know what supposed unique features they imagine that SC has and that others are clamouring for? As in, stuff it actually has, as opposed the dreams that it's supposed to have — at some point — that others won't also have at the time it comes out (if ever).

Obviously studios are gonna be paying for CIG's industry-leading Bartender AI, they're gonna be the SpeedTree of bartenders

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Mirificus posted:

It already has features other game development studios would love to get their hands on.

That's one way to describe 'The backer list packed full of more whales than a Nantucket harbor."

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
If that was true they would have well-attended talks at every GDC that end in furious applause. This is what real developers that produce innovative technologies do because they want to show it off.

I don't think they have had a talk at GDC since the original announcement in 2012.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

TasogareNoKagi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5vLcGPpRxE
Yahtzee again clobbers Scam Citizen without clearly trying to.

I am really, really glad that someone else is also weirdly aware of the "Yahtzee's increasing and (mostly) incidental condemnation of everything Star Citizen stands for" arc that's been simmering for a few years.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

LostRook posted:

Do you want a refund? Yes.

Do you want to write a review? No.

I know I'm posting from way in the past, but this is the most succinct explanation of the cult I've ever read.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Scruffpuff posted:

Is it any good? I've seen bits and pieces of it, and the "humor" aspect is almost physically grating. I checked out their Steam page and even their developer posts are virtually unreadable. Does that manifest in moment-to-moment gameplay?

Its really bad. It starts like subnautica in space, but gets in front of itself constantly with terrible humor and bad mechanics.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

colonelwest posted:

I am really curious about this as I have a 6600 and I get 75 fps average and no hitching. It rarely drips below 60fps even in serious combat or in huge environments.

I play on all high settings but I do play ray tracing off and at 1080p.

Maybe not try to play it with ray tracing at 4k?

So my review is the game is cool and good and a nice sequel to the first one.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sandepande posted:

Which is sort of interesting as it runs on UE4.

Maybe they'll get it fixed over time (works for me, 70€ is a bit rich for my sensible spending habits, such as buying a 600€ Lego ISD and not finishing building it because it was a pain to assemble).

If Star Citizen should teach us any lesson at all it is this:

Never pre-order.
Don't listen to the blind praise of early adopters. Wait a good while so people without previous investment in whatever is released can give it an honest appraisal.

Then buy the completed product, unless you are already playing other games. If you are, put it on a wishlist and forget about it until you get the on sale notification.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dialhforhero posted:

I am really curious about this as I have a 6600 and I get 75 fps average and no hitching. It rarely drips below 60fps even in serious combat or in huge environments.

I play on all high settings but I do play ray tracing off and at 1080p.

Maybe not try to play it with ray tracing at 4k?

So my review is the game is cool and good and a nice sequel to the first one.

A DF guy played it on a 12900k and 4090 at 1080p and low settings with RT off. He got the same performance you did.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kibner posted:

A DF guy played it on a 12900k and 4090 at 1080p and low settings with RT off. He got the same performance you did.

Yeah reviewers are finding like a weird FPS cap that any change in settings or hardware can’t get past. People with 4090s/i9 13900ks are only seeing ~30% GPU utilization and two CPU cores at around ~70%.

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

"Star Citizen and CIG produce evidence of both their existence and progress on a regular basis, you don't have to 'believe it' you can actually see it"

LoL,
3.18, 3.18.1, 3.18.2 PES debacle
MIA Squander 42
Concept unflyable Ship list as long as your arm
Bug list that could go around the Earth 3 times

Yep you can "believe it and Actually see it"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drakkel posted:

Microsoft had enough dirt on him during the development of Freelancer, that they were going to report him to WA state law enforcement. They only decided to not go through with it because he promised to step away from the game.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

colonelwest posted:

Yeah reviewers are finding like a weird FPS cap that any change in settings or hardware can’t get past. People with 4090s/i9 13900ks are only seeing ~30% GPU utilization and two CPU cores at around ~70%.

I have noticed no one with AMD has these issues.

Maybe it’s an Intel/Nvidia thing?

Don’t all the current gen consoles run off of AMD?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I would like to mention I had/have no issues with Star Citizen either but a buddy of mine who has Intel/Nvidia did/does.

I am trying to recall what the hardware hotness was 12 years ago wrt SC.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I don’t know, at this point I don’t really consider a PC game “released” until it’s come out and had about 6 months worth of patches. Playing almost any game at launch is going to be a worse experience than playing it 6 months later.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dialhforhero posted:

I have noticed no one with AMD has these issues.

Maybe it’s an Intel/Nvidia thing?

Don’t all the current gen consoles run off of AMD?

No, it also happens with AMD.

And also happens on consoles.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Seems bigger tree is a common trait amongst Star Citizen fans..

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I know when I see bigger trees, my mind lights up with all the unprecedented lore implied by them. So much lore, you'd have to spread it across an entire region!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Makes sense. The last time bigger trees rolled out on to the Orthanc Bunker, Saruman found himself on the receiving end of some pretty heavy lore. It probably took the trees 500 days to agree on the rollout too.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Bigger Tree Lore.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The last time the world saw so much bigger tree law was the Nazis

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Tree lore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Once the trees are are yuge it will finally unlock the lore pipeline just like Christ predicted in his 2010 video