Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I hit play on this video thinking "embroidered animation? is that like some next-level version of stitching together frames of animati--:prepop:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shadows of Doubt should give me the option to just arrest everybody who opens doors by pushing at the inside edge

someone who does that is clearly a danger to themselves and society

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FastestGunAlive posted:

Who’s your kof lineup ?

No clue, I just downloaded it for the free weekend. But I'm definitely gonna put King of Dinosaurs in if dlc characters are included.

Lt. Lizard posted:

...And your favourite sinner in Limbus Company? :v:

Gotta be Gregor. Don quixote is up there though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sway Grunt posted:

It seems the additional game might be Dread Delusion, which makes me a lot more interested in this bundle. Although it looks pretty decent even without it I suppose.
What's the source for this? If it's true it seems like a great deal.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Chas McGill posted:

What's the source for this? If it's true it seems like a great deal.

I saw it mentioned on r/GameDeals that buying the bundle also lists a key for Dread Delusion, although it wasn't redeemable apparently. Gonna wait on this personally until it's clear if it's in or out cause that's the main attraction for me.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Solid choices. :hmmyes:

There are no bad choices.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No clue, I just downloaded it for the free weekend. But I'm definitely gonna put King of Dinosaurs in if dlc characters are included.

I respect that

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Where my fellow Yi Sang heads at

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
How likely would Cult of the Lamb be to show up in the May Humble Choice? I want to buy the game as its on sale, but May is so close?

I'm thinking its basically a less than 0.5% chance it would be in a choice but thought I'd ask.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Lengthy Shadows of Doubt trip report. I've solved two fairly simple murder cases and one fairly complex case.

The first had clues leading to a coworker of the victim. Some neighbours witnessed someone with a "large build" leaving the scene angry around the time of death, so I was a bit confused when the likely suspect was the shortest person I had seen ingame. I thought I might have to reconsider my assumptions, but when I asked if he knew the victim, he said something like "Yeah, he's my coworker. I saw him at [CRIME SCENE] around [TIME OF DEATH]." HMMM.

That's how I learned build is different from height. I guess there's some early accessing left to do on the clues perpetrators will give up. They can be convinced (like anyone) to let you snoop around their home too. Although on my third murder case there was at least an instance of the murderer destroying the murder weapon, according to a big red popup claiming the case had failed (it hadn't).

The second murder was hilariously easy to solve. The crime scene had "[VICTIM] PAID" written on the wall. On the floor was a crumpled note with "Let's play a game: RNALY." Right beside the body was a computer with one of the logins being L. Ryan (their partner/cohabitant). HMMMMMM. A bank statement showed the victim was in some serious debt, and a business card showed L. Ryan was a loan shark.

At least use your whole first name! Especially when murdering the debtor, who lives with you, in your own home! Well, early access procedural generation. But the bank balance and loan shark job influencing the case are interesting.

As a bonus, this criminal genius' workplace had two upgrade options and two diamonds, which I secured as evidence but later misplaced in a pawn shop.

The third murder case took some actual detective work. The crime scene had "[VICTIM] & O FOREVER" (I'm bad at remembering names) written on the wall and a journal mentioning a stalker around a restaurant, but no physical evidence except for some size 11 footprints. His computer had mail from a dating site matching him with an O. Kaliyah. I do remember that name, because the case ended up revolving around her.

I was going through the victim's workplace's employee registry (standard practice) when a second murder occured just a few hours later in the same apartment building as the first (soon followed by the notification about the murder weapon being disposed of). This victim had a heart drawn around his body. Same dating site match, similar diary mentioning a stalker, same footprints (leading to an air vent this time, which I haven't seen before or since). Everything points to O. Kaliyah. HMMMMMM? Nope!

I go to her apartment, find no evidence, nothing on the computer that I didn't know already. From the journal, diary, and some neighbours, I know I'm looking for an adult woman, average height, average build, short black hair. She matches everything except for the shoe size and the footprints, but maybe I misremembered how I entered the second apartment and the footprints were mine all along? It does rain a lot, and I'm a Hobocop so I use other people's showers when I can.

So I arrest O, search her (finding nothing), shrug and go file the paperwork... nope, it's not her. I get a small fine for the false accusation, but what I'm really worried about is all the work I need to do now to find a real lead. I go through both victims' workplaces along with O's, investigate all profile matches, interrogate more potential witnesses, track down the friends mentioned in the diary and journal. Nothing. I focus on the stalker and investigate the two matching restaurant employees. Nothing.

This has taken about two ingame days by now and thankfully there haven't been more murders in the meantime, probably thanks to the discarded murder weapon. I go back to the crime scenes just in case there was anything I missed. The first scene didn't have a cop guard anymore and the footprints were gone, so I guess that evidence can decay too (surveillance data lasts two days, but NPC memory goes up to the one week I've played). I check every door, safe, and light switch for fingerprints. Nothing. I do the same at the second murder scene, and while scanning around the body I find lipstick (used to draw the heart?) with new fingerprints that don't match anyone I've investigated. gently caress! I'd learned to explore very thoroughly by now, but it's easy to miss things in the clutter, especially when there's ONE clue.

Well, maybe there were more, but if so I didn't find them, obviously. At least I know the case probably isn't broken now.

Since you can't just look up fingerprints, at least as far as I know, all I can do now is stake out the restaurant for this pain in the rear end stalker who is not at all related to any of the victims. After a few ingame hours of getting in the face of every average build average height short black haired adult woman I see (thankfully you can inspect people and immediately see these details, along with their estimated shoe size), I get lucky and find someone who matches all the evidence.

I follow her home. She lives in the same building as the murders. She lets me snoop around her house and donates her fingerprints, which match the lipstick. A bit easy, but I'll take it at this point, and I do have a fully upgraded aug for convincing people to give up information, and do still run into jerks despite that. Not murderers so far though. Her shoes are size 11, her room has pistol ammunition and a receipt for ammo and a gun (now missing). On her computer I find EIGHT "match rejected" mails from the dating site. At the very bottom is a match with... O. Kaliyah.

She had killed two men just to frame the woman who'd ghosted her! A pain in my rear end, but it's cool that it could happen procedurally. I don't recall any email or harassment involving the murderer in O. Kaliyah's mail, which would have helped. My behaviour might have been different if I'd known framing was possible, which I guess is the thing in a procedural game, not knowing what the possibilities and limitations are. Everything new to me is rather interesting so far, but I bet you'd see a lot of repeated patterns if you played a hundred hours.

I've also done a few side missions which were kinda samey, often coming with very few clues about who you're supposed to photograph/vandalize/rob/etc (here's an eye colour and shoe size. Go find them). But according to the discussion forums, tracking down the person who gives you the side job can give you some hints since the target's usually someone they know, or occasionally, someone they know knows.

tl;dr: game isn't great, but it is interesting for a while. I don't like the Minecraft visuals. Does that art style have an actual name? I do like the ambience. I don't have to pay rent but my hygiene is decided by criminals. Give it a try when you're bored of the usual.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 30, 2023

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The biggest issue I had with it was how much of a drag interacting with people was. There is just so much lag in the conversation menus. Or not lag, as such, but the UI is built with a bunch of pauses in it. So I constantly hit situations where I have 5-6 things I need to ask each person of interest, and I just can't bring myself to mindlessly click through all of the conversation prompts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The new Steam version, that's in Beta right now, has seemingly altered the way the Uninstall function works.

Before, it would delete all the files that Steam itself has downloaded, leaving any files that you've put into the game folder yourself, for example mods, untouched.
Now, it just nukes the whole folder.

It sucks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Well that fucks over a lot of games that are old enough to save in the game directory too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jack Trades posted:

The new Steam version, that's in Beta right now, has seemingly altered the way the Uninstall function works.

Before, it would delete all the files that Steam itself has downloaded, leaving any files that you've put into the game folder yourself, for example mods, untouched.
Now, it just nukes the whole folder.

It sucks.
That's probably due to Steam Deck owners complaining that games still left stuff behind when uninstalled, most notably shader caches and Proton configurations. And also an object lesson in how you can't ever please people :v:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mordecai posted:

Lengthy Shadows of Doubt trip report. I've solved two fairly simple murder cases and one fairly complex case.

So despite the procgen nature of things, it does seem like there are a few "set" missions, although the particulars can change. I also had a word jumble at the crime scene one, but in my case it wasn't the victim's partner and I actually ended up just piecing it together from the phone book (it was a short set of letters with only one vowel so it didn't take that much searching to suss it out).

I also had a lipstick killer, except mine happened in an alleyway which made it even more of a pain since there was no real evidence and almost zero leads aside from the fingerprint on the lipstick. I put it together, like you, after a lot of just accosting everyone who had the right build and going from the "victim plus letter" writing (which I couldn't actually see because a vending machine was blocking it, but I read in the newspaper), and finally just bumbled into my killer.

I also had a similar one with a toy car instead of the lipstick, but at least there was a way to track down the toy car, so that was easier.

Aside from those I have had a good number of just regular murders where I tracked down the killer by fingerprints, witness testimonials, etc, so they aren't all those kind of special cases, but I hope every time you retire a detective and start a new city, you don't end up with one anagram murder, one lipstick murder, and all that. Of course, this is still the first week of early access, so I imagine there might be a lot more variety to come still.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

That's probably due to Steam Deck owners complaining that games still left stuff behind when uninstalled, most notably shader caches and Proton configurations. And also an object lesson in how you can't ever please people :v:

You can please both groups of people by making it a choice.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Impossible, current technology doesn’t support prompts or toggles.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You're a beta tester, you should be giving this feedback to them instead of venting into some random internet void

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vasler posted:

How likely would Cult of the Lamb be to show up in the May Humble Choice? I want to buy the game as its on sale, but May is so close?

I'm thinking its basically a less than 0.5% chance it would be in a choice but thought I'd ask.

I don't think there is any way for anyone to tell you that. Sorry. Are you going to play it this weekend? If so then buy it, if it's easily affordable for you, and just chuckle and give away the extra copy if it's in the choice. Otherwise, leave it. It'll go on sale again.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Playing Jedi Survivor and drat Cal is just hounded by mosquitos in this game. Every 2-3 minutes he's slapping his neck presumably to squash a bug.

Also, small spoiler pistol + lightsaber is great and super flashy

It's running decently on my 3060ti/9400f/16gb system but not great, though there's still some pretty aggressive resolution scaling at times.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Music game 'Incredibox' just added a whole new set of tracks today, more hiphop based. I wasn't expecting any more updates at all.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

HopperUK posted:

I don't think there is any way for anyone to tell you that. Sorry. Are you going to play it this weekend? If so then buy it, if it's easily affordable for you, and just chuckle and give away the extra copy if it's in the choice. Otherwise, leave it. It'll go on sale again.

That's exactly what I thought. Thanks, I'll probably get it then.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Vasler posted:

100% chance it will be in the Humble bundle next month if you buy it today, but 0% chance if you don’t. I am sorry but those are the rules.

It’s real good though, you should get it. I picked it back up after the free content patch hit the other day. They added a lot!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Playing Doom 2016 for the first time, man this game is just adrenaline in pure game form. How come there haven't been more fps like this?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Time to play guess what game I'm looking at:

Not sure why it's tagged Hentai...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lil gator game took me around 4 hours for all the trophies. very cute, pretty much A Short Hike but slightly more expansive and with botw exploration mechanics (though it plays with them in fun ways)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, i've finished the first planet in honkai star rail, which is practically a full game to itself, complete with final boss music that breaks into a rock anthem with vocals halfway through, and a full hour epilogue of running around talking to people and closing plot threads

i think that honkai is a serviceable ps2-style JRPG in the vein of Star Ocean that just happens to have very good characters and really strong incidental writing. i've shared some of the trash can/closet interactions in other threads, but the MC anthropomorphizes more objects in their head than Bob from Bob's Burgers. they are airheaded and there are many "idiot" lines you can choose from in the options (if someone talks from under a manhole you have a "THE MANHOLE COVER CAN TALK?!" option). your other two primary party members won't win any awards for originality but they are perfectly fine and fun, with the sunny and spunky type and the dour straight-man type

despite a lot of jargon being thrown at me in the opening half hour, once I was on the first planet a lot of that didn't matter. the plot shifted focus to the location we were in, and any of the stuff going on in space was not really important. like I said, very Star Ocean.

i've already made my comments on the battle system so I'll just mention that one weakness of the game is its lack of enemy variety. this may be the result of players being stuck on the first planet for longer than the developer would ultimately prefer... but this is the result of their own decision to carry over the Adventure Rank from Genshin Impact. this Rank is a way to drip-feed content to the player by offering access to new quests and types of content with each Rank Up, but the most likely reason it exists is the same reason it exists in Genshin: to keep players from seeing all of the available content too quickly. I don't know how many planets are in the game at launch, but Genshin only had one continent at launch (I know Honkai has at least two more places to go after the first planet) and so locking main quests behind meeting certain Adventure Ranks was a way to keep people from seeing everything the game had within a week and quitting.

the problem with this is that Genshin, as I've mentioned before, is an open-world game inspired by BOTW, and Honkai is a ps2-style JRPG with turn-based combat, no overworld, and basic dungeons. you might already see the issue here. if you can't access a main quest yet in Genshin, you can just go explore the large open world, find puzzles to solve, pillars to unlock, environmental secrets, etc. there is no such equivalent in HSR. which is not to say there's nothing beyond the dailies to do-- there are a lot of interactive objects in towns to get fun dialog from, many NPCs with their own tiny stories, good morality points you can earn from certain actions (which have no function but i think that's neat), recipes to find, some tiny side content that is hidden (if you find a Dark Fist tournament invite, take it to the gatekeeper...). but none of that propels you forward in Rank. the primary way to advance in Rank is to do sidequests, which eventually run out, open treasure chests (which offer measly rank points), and do dailies.

and I just think it's weird, because this isn't even a "get people to spend money" thing. no sane person is gonna grind on dailies and recharging their energy just to up their rank, the money to be made with this game is in marketing powerful gacha characters that people will go crazy trying to pull. the combat's way too basic for dailies to be any fun. one of them is this roguelite concept where you gain Blessings after each encounter, but you're just going through past dungeon areas you've been to before, fighting enemies you've seen before. I just don't see the fun in it. Genshin at least had Domains where you had to solve an occasional puzzle or utilize character abilities. unless something unlocks later, I've seen no such equivalent here. just these weird completely incongruent and slapdashed puzzles jarringly placed in existing areas like a sokoban puzzle (which is all dumb as dirt), and a mine cart puzzle.

i still think the game is good, but some design decisions are just odd to me, like they just thought the Genshin model would translate to a ps2-style RPG without any changes being needed. i have no interest in spending money on the game and the game has not given me any particularly valid reason to anyway. all my issues are with the content variety and the Rank issue. you also get plenty of solid powerful characters for your party from the game's storyline alone, including a much needed healer character. so the additional gacha characters don't even seem all that important or necessary. the MC is strong, Dan Heng is strong, March can freeze enemies with her Ultimate and put shields on characters, and Natasha can do single and all-heal. i think I'm good.

for me to come back and not get burned out, i think they will need to make adjustments to several game systems. for starters, I think they need significantly more enemies, and I think combat needs to allow for consumables to be used, so that players have more freedom in party arrangement (as it is, a healer character is practically mandatory for bosses). i also think that combat needs to have the ability to swap people in/out at the cost of a turn so that you can on-the-fly adjust to enemies with different elemental weaknesses rather than have to go into the team formation page every time. i think these simulated universe/forgotten hall things should drop the "oh it's your past so of course it's the same old poo poo" and take place in a bespoke new area, if only to avoid the fatigue of repetition.

that's all i had to say. bye

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 30, 2023

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

unruly posted:

Time to play guess what game I'm looking at:

Not sure why it's tagged Hentai...
Furry Reich.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how many unintended sequence breaks were the developers finding that it was worth building this whole system out

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1652364769981087746

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

running out of stuff to do and having to log off and come back the same time tomorrow for more dailies is extremely intentional. the point of those systems is to make the game into a "habit/daily routine" type thing instead of something you beat once and uninstall, so they can keep you around longer to hawk mtxes to.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

repiv posted:

how many unintended sequence breaks were the developers finding that it was worth building this whole system out

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1652364769981087746

This is crazy to me, I can't recall any game doing this before. Just screams of "we ran out of time"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Last time I remember game announcing something like that was when you murdered a plot-critical NPC in Morrowind. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

explosivo posted:

This is crazy to me, I can't recall any game doing this before. Just screams of "we ran out of time"

It's an anti-cheat mechanism to prevent external save-game editing, but still...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Last time I remember game announcing something like that was when you murdered a plot-critical NPC in Morrowind. :v:

quote:

"With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created."

"You hosed up"

To be fair it didn't break the game, just the main quest. I'm sad they stopped doing this in the later games, it's fun knowing how and why I broke the game.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 30, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fruits of the sea posted:

"You hosed up"

To be fair it didn't break the game, just the main quest. I'm sad they stopped doing this in the later games, it's fun knowing how and why I broke the game.

Pretty sure you can still beat the main quest too, you just broke the guidance and the scripted quests, but the tools are still around and you can make your way to the final dungeon on your own.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When you're development style can be compared to Bethesda then you know it's real bad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

isn't it possible to permanently lock yourself out of the standard means of completing morrowind, but there's a hidden backdoor quest path that lets you beat it by different means

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

repiv posted:

isn't it possible to permanently lock yourself out of the standard means of completing morrowind, but there's a hidden backdoor quest path that lets you beat it by different means

yes

You have to kill Vivec and take Wraithguard from him. It will be a plot item that you can't equip. Yagrum Bagarn can jury-rig it if you get him some of Kagrenac's books from Red Mountain. Equipping Wraithguard this way will permanently reduce your HP by 200-255.

Or just skip Wraithguard entirely, and boost your health enough to survive the Sunder+Keening health drain and kill the Heart without it.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 30, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

And they delayed this release from it's original date. I'm fine with delaying a launch, but fix the loving game if you're going to do that.

Sadly, this may be the norm going forward - gaming companies trying to churn out games at the same pace as before Covid, which has significantly impacted the workforce needed to do the actual work (this applies to a lot of other industries as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

are Desktop Dungeons and Desktop Dungeons: Rewind the same game with a different coat of paint? thought I might try DD then saw I somehow have DD:R as well