Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
charmy the bee almsot died from eating a lsd laced chili dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they should have finished the job on that freak

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost
Wait does Sonic canonicly have sex in the Pendersverse or is that hyperbole because if its not the latter- lol

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

Wait does Sonic canonicly have sex in the Pendersverse or is that hyperbole because if its not the latter- lol

The man has zero shame. He will humiliate himself again and again and there's not a drat thing anyone can do to stop him.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

Yeah he and Sally became the monarch and have kids I believe. And legend has it that the whole archie comic fuckery with sonic went unnoticed by sega until an executive was at a comic store to pick up one for his kid and discovered it looked like this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah he and Sally became the monarch and have kids I believe. And legend has it that the whole archie comic fuckery with sonic went unnoticed by sega until an executive was at a comic store to pick up one for his kid and discovered it looked like this

real poo poo

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
i've scrolled past like, three or four deep dive videos on Penders, which one should i pick up if the extent of my knowledge is "ken penders somehow managed to land a gig making the sonic comics, filled them with his weird OCs, went to court over it"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Even better, the executive didn't see it at the comic store but at the grocery store.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he also sued bioware and ea over the bad sonic ds rpg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What I genuinely do adore is on the cover Sonic is wracked with grief, body heaving with sobs, breathing coming in hitches broken by tears over Sally marrying somebody else the header still says "The World's Most Way Past Cool Comic!"

The odds state this was somebody's first Sonic comic and no doubt they were very confused indeed because they probably figured it would be about Sonic and Tails running fast and knocking over robots or something.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
that cover pissed sega off so much that it was the catalyst that led to penders getting fired

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic DOES NOT cry

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the only thing he can't outrun is his feelings

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SexyBlindfold posted:

i've scrolled past like, three or four deep dive videos on Penders, which one should i pick up if the extent of my knowledge is "ken penders somehow managed to land a gig making the sonic comics, filled them with his weird OCs, went to court over it"

If you've got a lot of time, Cybershell a pretty extensive video on Penders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkWNlD62Pg

If you've got less time, this video by Comic Drake is more succinct. I mean, it's still half and hour long but there's a lot of poo poo to talk about with Penders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCni6I47E0M

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

If I recall correctly Sonic wasn't even fazed from being war crime tortured for months in Sonic Forces.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

quote:

As per the legal settlement of the case, new and increased mandates from Sega were put into effect in any and all Sonic the Hedgehog related contents, including (but not limited to): video games, television series, films, toys, and even comic books. For Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog comic series specifically, as relevant to the legal case, the following mandates in effect were (but possibly not limited to) as follows:

Sega-specific original characters were not permitted familial relationships unless already established (like Cream and Vanilla) with some limited exceptions (eg. Uncle Chuck). ACP-exclusive characters (Sally, Rotor, Bunnie, Antoine) were permitted, however.
Use of Penders' characters or any of his content from the Pre-Super Genesis Wave was forbidden (although settlement granted ACP legal use of his creations under limited conditions, reasons for not doing so are not disclosed to the public by either ACP or Sega Inc. as of this time).
Content from the following Sonic games were not permissible:
Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes.
Black Doom from Shadow the Hedgehog.
All characters and content (with the exception of original Sega characters) from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
Replacing said characters with post-incarnations however, was permissible. (eg. Maximillian Acorn → Nigel Acorn).
ACP were forbidden to reference Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Sonic Underground or Sonic X unless granted specific permission from Sega.
ACP was forbidden from using the character Eggman Nega unless specifically granted permission from Sega.
Sonic the Hedgehog's home planet was no longer permitted to be referred to as "Mobius," be it Light, Dark, Prime, or otherwise.
Only one Metal Sonic was permitted for appearance, but no multiples.
With the exception of the character Nicole allowing affected characters to remember the previous universe, these memories were forced to "fade" and be rendered irrelevant.
Character depictions such as Classic Sonic, Classic Tails, Classic Eggman, or any other classic depictions of Sega's characters were not permitted unless permission is given directly from Sega. (However, some ACP publications showed scenes of the "Classic" characters in shadows, silhouettes, or bear resemblance to them in flashbacks). This mandate appeared to have been lifted as of the 25th anniversary of the Sonic franchise, however.
Sonic was not allowed to "lose." He could be "put down" and experience hardship but was not allowed to completely "fail."
Main and/or significant characters were forbidden to form intimate or love-relationships. ACP-exclusive characters were permitted, however (Bunnie and Antoine) but not with or between Sega's characters (Sonic and Sally).
Original Sega characters were to conform and stay conformed to their modern designs as of Sonic the Hedgehog #71. None were allowed to change or modify their existing wardrobe or wear any different wardrobe at all, regardless of the story context. The permitted ACP-exclusive characters' appearances differentiated from the original continuity in some shape or form.
Sega characters could not be "killed-off."

An example of the established-requirement of censorship of emotion from Sonic the Hedgehog #166. (left: original, right: current)

Sonic is not allowed to show excessive emotion.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i read all the archie sonic comics

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

What I genuinely do adore is on the cover Sonic is wracked with grief, body heaving with sobs, breathing coming in hitches broken by tears over Sally marrying somebody else the header still says "The World's Most Way Past Cool Comic!"

The odds state this was somebody's first Sonic comic and no doubt they were very confused indeed because they probably figured it would be about Sonic and Tails running fast and knocking over robots or something.

I doubt anything could beat the confusion you'd have when tuning in during the year Knuckles was loving green

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ken penders owns green knuckles and evil sonic

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
evil sonic was later turned green but that had nothing to do with penders but penders still claims ownership over green evil sonic

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Pigbuster posted:

I doubt anything could beat the confusion you'd have when tuning in during the year Knuckles was loving green

there's a good reason he's green. they microwaved him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it actually rules that ken penders despite working in the industry for decades has no idea how comics work and gets incredibly angry when another writer uses "his characters" that he never owned in the first place because he was writing a tie-in comic for a video game franchise and has no claim to ownership to anything he made for it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the only reason he won the lawsuit is because of archie's incompetence and sega rightfully deciding that going to court over a bunch of knuckles recolors and pepe le pew the self insert wasnt worth the hassle because they are never using any of those characters in anything and if penders tried to use knuckles in anything they will obliterate him with lawyers and he knows it

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best Ken Penders video is the Game Grumps video rating his cover art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGkGhJKXBSs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it actually rules that ken penders despite working in the industry for decades has no idea how comics work and gets incredibly angry when another writer uses "his characters" that he never owned in the first place because he was writing a tie-in comic for a video game franchise and has no claim to ownership to anything he made for it

A video game franchise I don't think he has still ever played a game from!

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Just reminded me of that recent interview with the live action actors from the opening of Resident Evil where none of them knew they were in a big franchise until recently because they only knew it as Biohazard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YID16FZ_n6g

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

D'Angelo Wallace returns to deliver the bald truth on a balding man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIHHv5eQmwE

anyway just watched this in the bg, i think i've seen at least one video making fun of the dude (i think it was thought slime on hustler's university, rip) but i didn't know the guy was mycrimes.webm from the beginning while saying poo poo like "i'm a brilliant and extremely strong man" without irony, it rules

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the only reason he won the lawsuit is because of archie's incompetence and sega rightfully deciding that going to court over a bunch of knuckles recolors and pepe le pew the self insert wasnt worth the hassle because they are never using any of those characters in anything and if penders tried to use knuckles in anything they will obliterate him with lawyers and he knows it

Lol at all of this, but I have to say... I think we should let him cook. It could be really funny.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Are posters in here into Duncan?
https://youtu.be/MSxNUUAvU_o
I like his delivery. Polar opposite of the shouty, angry young man archetype.
I watch a lot of YouTube, but don't do tiktok or instametas or public post anywhere but here. So I like to have folks fill me in on the goings on in areas I have no clue about.

As a bit of tangent from that, I also enjoy Internet Today for a good television news show replacement
https://youtu.be/h0FeTOnGvEY
Anyone know if Ricky is a goon? I get the feeling he might be.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

From watching Quinton's WIP on the next Sam and Cat video, I can tell he's trying to wring every single drop of potential enjoyment of the series before going into every single heavy thing about the show's production.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dawgstar posted:

A video game franchise I don't think he has still ever played a game from!

IIRC Penders had a weird thing about that and very rarely ever used elements from the games unless forced and usually used them wrong because he wouldn't even do cursory research. Which led to the hilarious and infamous Sonic Live comic which used photos of relatives of Penders "playing sonic" with a television remote. Pretty much everything about those comics is mind boggling. Like the time one of the writers created a fake writer to write as and even interviewed because he thought people didn't like his stories out of personal bias.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1652398441409150979?s=20

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is he trying to say he was the missing spice

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

That Mario is more popular than Sonic... but that's not really news.

I grew up with Sonic but I'm not a child so I never saw the Sonic-movies except for that 90's one, but back then I actually was a child

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Euf7kYAoZ8

Civvie survived the month of TNT Evilution.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I almost unsubbed from him this month because his TNT shorts clogged up my subscription tab.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is he trying to say he was the missing spice

yes and he's right

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

B33rChiller posted:

Are posters in here into Duncan?
https://youtu.be/MSxNUUAvU_o
I like his delivery. Polar opposite of the shouty, angry young man archetype.
I watch a lot of YouTube, but don't do tiktok or instametas or public post anywhere but here. So I like to have folks fill me in on the goings on in areas I have no clue about.
I really enjoy his stuff and very much like his calm delivery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLZkiPkCUzA
This recent one hit hard, as I too suffer from 2ThingsDisease - just right now I was watching a movie and switched from playing Golf on Mars on my phone to browsing SA on my phone and saw this post (and actually paused the movie! woah!) and grabbed my keyboard to find that Duncan video for this very same post that I am writing ok bye forever!

e: okay paused the movie again for a second to come back and say that the video that you linked was great too IMO

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 30, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My favorite thing Penders tried to take credit for was somebody snitching to Ken that "hey in the second movie Tails flies a biplane while Sonic stands on top of it JUST LIKE A COMIC YOU DID!" and Ken is all "hmm, very interesting, huh?" Also it's in the very second Sonic game, but you know. That's our Ken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I listened to the cybershell video and my favourite Penders thing is him claiming a character design and name from a videogame because they were maybe loosely based on something of his. Like, he didn't just go "you can't do that, that's mine" he went "OK, that character name and artwork are mine now"