Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh I didn’t realise that was happening soon, guess that’s why it’s all in the news

Does that mean we get two Mondays off in a row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yes it does

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

Oh I didn’t realise that was happening soon, guess that’s why it’s all in the news

Does that mean we get two Mondays off in a row?

Depends on your employer. It's apparently optional. We're getting the time (but not the actual day we always work Mondays unless we book them out of our annual leave entitlement which includes BH pro rata as we're all part time.) but we didn't get Brenda's funeral extra BH.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1651935475177758724

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Looks more like Theresa May to me

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

winegums posted:

Only way monarchy survives is by getting public on side. Hard to do that in context of a country collapsing all around us without forcing some major reform. Very hard to do *that* when you're a politically neutered head of state.

Anyone remember the 90s-era UK version of House of Cards? There was a sequel where a thinly-veiled Charles does try to do this (remember he used to be kind of political-activist in a very knit-your-own-muesli kind of way). It does not end up well for him.

Edit: also features a pre-hagiography Princess Diana this being before her death.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
that's the ayatollah khomeimi

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

That's probably not going to be the same case with the public, because we can't raise private armies

Push us far enough and we can absolutely raise armies. Ask Tsar Nicholas. Or Charles's namesake - that one's fuzzier because he pissed off a whole bunch of aristocrats too, but what kicks the whole thing off (other than him managing to lose battles to Scotland twice) is the London working class (broadly defined, apprentices mostly) rioting against him hard enough he fucks up off North.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Spooky. I had Alphabetti Spaghetti with my “Kings Fingers” sausages yesterday and it spelled out “I had Di killed so I could marry Camilla and make her my queen”

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

we had some really waspy folk up and down the street but the lack of rosettes and the multitudinous leather pouches led us to falsely believe they were jehovas witnesses to tell us the world is ending (stopped clock motherfuckers)

nah, the freeman on the land flavour fascists are in town, a dozen or so strong at least

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

feedmegin posted:

Anyone remember the 90s-era UK version of House of Cards? There was a sequel where a thinly-veiled Charles does try to do this (remember he used to be kind of political-activist in a very knit-your-own-muesli kind of way). It does not end up well for him.

Edit: also features a pre-hagiography Princess Diana this being before her death.

There was a recentish one as well where Charles basically disintergrates the monarchy. Interestingly enough it had Prince Harry take up with a black 'commoner' long before Meghan Markle was on the scene. Though the TV one was an east london lass rather than an American actress.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Their leader seems like a real winner:

quote:

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Kurten spread COVID-19 misinformation by claiming that the disease was no worse than the flu.[26] In December 2020, Kurten rejected a COVID-19 vaccine, for which he was denounced by the Conservative mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey, who saw this as irresponsible for an elected politician.[27] Kurten has opposed lockdowns implemented in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and he has attended protests against UK government policies.[28]

The Heritage Party got 1.6% of the vote, coming fourth, in the 2021 Hartlepool by-election with 468 votes. In the 2021 London elections, Kurten received 0.4% of the vote in the mayoral election, coming fifteenth, while the Heritage party list, headed by Kurten, received 0.5% in the Assembly vote. He was, thus, not re-elected.

Kurten contested the 2021 Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election in December 2021. He was unsuccessful, getting only 0.5% of the vote in the election.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah yes, protecting children by returning to traditional values.

Which traditional values would those be David?

Hard drive checks for the lot of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That last graph really makes me wonder what causes those changes...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

carving out a specific niche instead of just saying “protect children” sounds to me like they want to go the USA route and get them working in abattoirs once they hit 13

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

In the early 1900s part there's probably a strong link between the child cruelty and neglect and an environment where nobody socially cares much about doing anything about predators.

The big decrease in the 1920s seems consistent with expansion of NSPCC activity and state empowerment to address issues, along with growing community discussion.

It may also have been a knock on effect from the Great War, but somewhere a gammon just turned beetroot over the suggestion that any of the Glorious Dead may have otherwise been nonces.

There's also changes in reporting and legal criteria for guilt, so some of those later peaks may have been increased willingness to prosecute, better evidence gathering, laws against CAI. I'm not sure about the New Labour era trough though.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OwlFancier posted:

Two World Wars, One World Cup!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hm does anyone have any particular recommendations for cat sitters, in the east London area (Newham) specifically if appropriate? On holiday for about 3 weeks in a week and a half so it's time to get my finger out on that one.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

In the early 1900s part there's probably a strong link between the child cruelty and neglect and an environment where nobody socially cares much about doing anything about predators.

The big decrease in the 1920s seems consistent with expansion of NSPCC activity and state empowerment to address issues, along with growing community discussion.

It may also have been a knock on effect from the Great War, but somewhere a gammon just turned beetroot over the suggestion that any of the Glorious Dead may have otherwise been nonces.

There's also changes in reporting and legal criteria for guilt, so some of those later peaks may have been increased willingness to prosecute, better evidence gathering, laws against CAI. I'm not sure about the New Labour era trough though.

The New Labour trough does coincide with an overall improvement in quality of life and reduction in poverty (albeit some of that due to juking the stats), and we know that crime overall correlates with wellbeing.
Most perpetrators of child sexual abuse are well-known or related to their victims. Presumably, when life is going okay people have more resilience when it comes to deciding whether to inflict horrific acts on children they know.
And the reverse, when life is poo poo.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just adjusted the Coronation display in Asda

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
two completely independent sentences:

1) fewer people guilty of sex with children does not mean fewer people having sex with children

2) Prince Andrew became separated in 1992

Mebh
May 10, 2010

kingturnip posted:

The New Labour trough does coincide with an overall improvement in quality of life and reduction in poverty (albeit some of that due to juking the stats), and we know that crime overall correlates with wellbeing.
Most perpetrators of child sexual abuse are well-known or related to their victims. Presumably, when life is going okay people have more resilience when it comes to deciding whether to inflict horrific acts on children they know.
And the reverse, when life is poo poo.

Yeah, 1998 had a child benefit increase with inflation, 1999 had the working families tax credit and the education maintenance allowance.

It then all went to poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That does make me wonder what caused the large decreases around the Great Depression.

Although that is only for the 'people found guilty of' so it's possible both that things were much better than the 19th century and also that there weren't the resources to prosecute a lot of the neglect and abuse.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

simple as

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1652599354002227201

quote:

A source told the MoS: “Liz used Chevening as a mini No 10, holding meetings with her inner circle which often turned into parties in the evening.

“The Cabinet Office was told by staff at the house that items such as towelling robes and even slippers vanished during that period, and have asked her to cover the cost.

“They have also objected to the idea that the taxpayer should foot the bill for what were basically a series of summer parties, and say she owes more than £12,000 for it.”

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh no, she'll have to do one speech at a libertarian thinktank to pay it back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tbf if I was pm for a month I would also steal the bathrobes

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it was like having queenie off blackadder as PM for a bit wasn't it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She could do a speech at a libertarian think tank about how governments having towels is the real theft.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
She can still name people to the Lords?
Watch donors fall over them selves trying to pay this for her to get rewarded a place.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Huh, Martin Rowson is an antisemite now for... Drawing Richard sharps... Wierd.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh no, she'll have to do one speech at a libertarian thinktank to pay it back.

Of all the former PMs, I think she might be the one with the least ability to play this trick. These after dinner speeches have always (obviously) been about networking or social cache amongst the powerful. She has no strings to pull, no useful contacts, and is an embarrassment. She's also not a good speaker. I doubt she would be able to get onto the speaking circuit the way any of the other previous PMs have.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Come, sweet bullets

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

smellmycheese posted:

Come, sweet bullets

Will they offer a cigarette first?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

smellmycheese posted:

Come, sweet bullets

Hammer grip on a saber smh what are we teaching our soldiers these days

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's this new Woke Model Army, where they go around dressed like that Duck Dynasty show about the furry Americans who go in the woods pretending to be birds.

If they dressed like real men in salmon pink breeches, knee-high leather boots, powdered wigs, and foot tall bishops hats with their regiment on then maybe they'd know how to hold a sword properly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

The big uptick around the Brexit referendum provokes a few interesting observations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The urban legend about sports teams and domestic violence usually says it's the people whose team lost who go home and terrorize their family.

Fortunately that does seem to just be an urban legend.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Huh, Martin Rowson is an antisemite now for... Drawing Richard sharps... Wierd.
Amazing that the guy that drew Sunak and Braverman with giant red n-word lips for a year finally gets called racist for drawing a former Goldman Sachs banker holding a box with Goldman Sachs written on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Baby P case changed a lot about how local agencies manage safeguarding cases, and likely got everyone more alert to this stuff.