Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
New code I just saw on Prydwen:

2T7BP4JVEBT7

5k Credits, 3x Adventure Log, 2x Condensed Aether, 3x Cosmic Fried Rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Saving for Kafka, the MC's canonical first love.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah there's two separate tracks of F2P 5* lightcones and 5* lightcones also arent nearly as strogn relative to 4* lightcones as 5* weapons are to 4* weapons in genshin. id only recommend pulling for lightcones if you feel like burning your wishes to make a character like 5% stronger.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Aight, cool, save for the future it is.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
account level 21 unlock stuff the mirror people have absolutely rancid vibes. on the other hand it looks like their function is to provide one-off challenge fights, which is welcome

the mc's blithe reaction to finding out they've been parasitized by yet another eldritch horror is great though :allears:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

i guess we're just at the basic characters atm, but it looks to me like the extra eidolons buffs for extra copies of characters are pretty bland atm. Its all just extra damage here and extra target there.

I guess further down the road like in genshin, we have some units with more elaborate eidolon brnaches where you like HAVE to have e6 for them to be OP.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

The free 10 wishes blessed me with Seele, so now I can live the dream of her and Bronya deleting all of my skill points to destroy the world. Way luckier start than Genshin was, this game clearly loves me and wants me to play it. And I love it back.

Wish relics didn't exist though!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GateOfD posted:

i guess we're just at the basic characters atm, but it looks to me like the extra eidolons buffs for extra copies of characters are pretty bland atm. Its all just extra damage here and extra target there.

I guess further down the road like in genshin, we have some units with more elaborate eidolon brnaches where you like HAVE to have e6 for them to be OP.

Bronya gets a follow-up attack iirc, which seems like it could be meaningful for like The Elation purposes or something.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
QQ's eidolons give her a followup attack that doubles her output at c4 and fixes the skill point problem at c6. She also gets energy regen per draw at c2.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have no idea who QQ is.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

qingque probably

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

eh, tbh this game just seems kind of designed for eidolons to be less impactful than genshin overall

even the launch constellations in genshin were more impactful than most of this game's

there are some good eidolons still but, while they could easily prove me wrong, they dont seem that interested in making characters eidolon locked or anything

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

there's no elemental synergy atm like genshin (yet), but there's some neat combinations like how YanQing's thing is that he gets a nice crit buff, but loses it when he gets hit.
But if you shield him with March, as long as he doesn't suffer real HP damage from getting hit, he still keeps his buff.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Speaking of eidolons...

The free 10 pulls got me e1 Clara on the Seele banner. I really would have preferred someone new, but I guess I'm prepped for Kafka's banner...

Wonder how far I can go with Kafka/Serval/Tingyun as the lightning ladies crew.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

MoonCrab posted:

For the lurkers who feel bad about seeing people with multiple 5s: I've got nothing but the guaranteed 5 from the newbie banner and I'm not even remotely close to any pity. There, expectations normalized. You'r welcome....

Same.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Figured I might do another one of those Expy blurb things now that I'm finally clear of work and not watching hockey every night.

Seele is based in large part on the character of Seele Vollerei from Honkai Impact 3rd and her relationship with Bronya carries over from that universe as well with some differences, the most obvious of which visually is that they are both aged up quite a bit. For one Seele's base character in Honkai 3rd is that of an extremely timid weak willed orphan girl who has trouble standing up for herself. Bronya on the other hand is the opposite and tough as nails coming from a lifetime of hardship and assasinations. After being brought to Cocolia's orphanage Seele quickly developed an intense sisterlike adoration of Bronya after she protected her from the main bully in the orphanage, a girl named Sin Mal (who you know is a bad girl, but also a bit character since her name is Sin Mal and she's one of the very few female characters in the entire franchise to not be all glammed up and has shark teeth and dresses rather drab too) causing Sin to develop a one sided grudge against the two. This culminates in Sin pushing Bronya down the stairs of the orphanage and breaking her legs in the process, leading to her current in game appearance of having artificial prosthetic legs, though Bronya essentially allows this to happen and is called out on it by Cocolia. Eventually Seele would be kidnapped to try to ransom some money out of Cocolia, who would send Bronya alone to deal with the kidnappers resulting in her killing all of them including several right in front of Seele who typically doesn't like violence and gets freaked out by it.

Here's where things get kind of interesting though as this sensation of violence in front of her leads to awareness in Seele that she has a dormant personality/entity in her that the script refers to as Veliona that likes what it sees. This version of Seele is essentially the polar opposite of Seele (alternate color schemes involving red as opposed to blue) and extremely violent, cruel, vengeful and sadistic, but also extremely protective of her host body Seele to the point where despite taunting her a lot she's ultimately subservient in a sense to Seele's will and wants to be unleashed to do the things Seele can't. So when Sin comes around a second time trying to bully Seele while Bronya isn't around it does not go well for the former and we see precisely what she is capable of as Seele lets her take over her body to deal with things so Bronya won't eventually have to again. Anyway since I covered it already in the Bronya summary, eventually Seele would take the Quantum realm test in place of Bronya and get trapped there, leading to Bronya's motivation for a good chunk of the early main story to try to find a way to get her back out of there resulting in a really cool trio of climax scenes for both characters and Seele finally accepting the other side of her personality to help them both escape so they can fulfill their promise of visiting the ocean together.

IMO Seele is based in large part on the character of Hotaru Tomoe/Sailor Saturn from the Shojo classic Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon. Aside from sharing a similar hairstyle, they are both extremely weak willed sickly looking girls who develop a strong friendship with a much stronger willed personality character their age (Chibi-Usa in her case) and have death motifs, wield scythes in combat and have a hidden far more sadistic personality/entity dormant within them that comes out under extreme duress such as being bullied or having her friends threatened. Her name is based on Mihoyo's founding people's love of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which Honkai Impact 3rd was heavily influenced by. IMO Seele in Star Rail is also a combination of Seele Vollerei and Veliona that takes them somewhere to the middle of their extreme opposite personalities, with references to Veliona in how Seele's eyes glow red when she uses her ultimate. Also if I had to guess, her tendency to phase in and out of reality is in reference to her relationship with the quantum realm in Honkai 3rd and spending several years there. All incarnations of the character share the same voice actress in Japanese Mai Nakahara.

And that's plenty for now. :stonk:

e: Minor trivia, the song Cyberangel in the 2nd video is sung by Bronya's chinese VA who as far as I can tell is a popular Bilibili singer/personality, who has a gimmick of only appearing as an avatar or having her face covered in public. I don't think anybody has ever actually seen her face. Hanser voices Silver Wolf in CN, but apparently did not feel she could pull off the voice for Bronya Rand, apologizing to fans in China.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 30, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've got Bronya, Seele, and Yanqing. Kind of annoyed to get 2 Hunts, but I guess with the element system more variety is always good, and it's one of better classes for being good bosskillers.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

hell yea. Got the 'In the Night' Stelle light cone & a 4* character Hook (new for me) in the same draw on the light cone banner. (took only 20tickets in total)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What is it about Honkai Impact that makes people want to write unprompted walls of text about stuff most players of the other game will never care about? Like, I guess it's fine and not off-topic or anything, but if we wanted to play Honkai Impact we'd play Honkai Impact, and people who already have won't need that info, so who is the target audience for these posts?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 30, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got the 5 star Preservation LC from the free tenner they gave us, pretty happy since I wanted it for Pres MC anyways, and now I don't have to pick up the one from the BP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

What is it about Honkai Impact that makes people want to write unprompted walls of text about stuff most players of the other game will never care about? Like, I guess it's fine and not off-topic or anything, but if we wanted to play Honkai Impact we'd play Honkai Impact, and people who already have won't need that info, so who is the target audience for these posts?
quick summaries could be interesting but yeah uhh surely theres a quicker way of explaining this stuff dude

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

did not expect to get called a depressed rear end in a top hat by this game lmao

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

Some people seemed intrigued, other do not. I feel like I've said this dozens of times already, but the absolute beauty of the internet is that nobody is obligated to read things they don't want too. One could just as easily ask the question what is about large posts that seems to grievously offend the sensibilities of some, but not of others. If a couple people hadn't responded to my last one and we'd had a bit of a dialogue and some corrections were noted that had me learning some things on my own in the process, I wouldn't be doing any more of these.

So like why the chippiness? If it's so brutal for a majority of people to have to scroll past a spoilered post out of dozens of others and people are so offended by it en masse I simply won't do anymore as it actually does take a bit of time and compilation to go over it and embed some links and stuff. Frankly though Endorph in particular getting uproariously upset at half the things I post and concerning themselves with it is gonna happen anyway though so.....

If people want to set a thread rule about what the absolute maximum length of a post is allowed to be and try to enforce that everybody stick to their preferred posting format I say go for it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Endorph posted:

quick summaries could be interesting but yeah uhh surely theres a quicker way of explaining this stuff dude

Part of why it's so long is that there's technically two games to cover, both of which with a long story and a constant stream of events since these games have their roots in mobile gacha layouts.

Not exactly easy to sum stuff up when there's now a third game featuring the same characters in yet another alternate universe (Not counting Genshin which already has some of the same characters appearing under different identities. Which would make this the fourth game technically.) that is riffing on the past games and has franchise wide myth arc plot threads in ways that are relevant to past games.

At some point they're going to have to either simplify things or drop the old characters or all the plot references are going to make even the lore nerds heads explode.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 30, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Or you could just not care if you're missing references that other people will get and enjoy this game on its own terms.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Clarste posted:

Or you could just not care if you're missing references that other people will get and enjoy this game on its own terms.

Imagine being the sort of person who is mad someone wants to share information with you. Now imagine that those people sharing info simply do not give a gently caress, since you can scroll past it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

'The Faint Star' sidequest was really neat.
Told Rocky the truth, and he's gonna try to go off to find her. For a little sidequest in the beginning, had a lot of oomph to it.

What happens if you pick the lie?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Archonex posted:

Imagine being the sort of person who is mad someone wants to share information with you. Now imagine that those people sharing info simply do not give a gently caress, since you can scroll past it.

I was responding to you saying they would have to simplify things. Anyway I'm not mad, I'm just making the apparently true observation that Honkai Impact fans have broken brains causing them to see everything like a paranoiac's conspiracy board. The connections are just for fun, they don't actually matter. The writers do not need to stop making connections just so you can understand them easier.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Who is Kafka and why should I care. Now that I lost the 50/50 this banner I guess I should decide who to go for before I keep pulling.

Team: Dan Heng (DPS), Bronya (make Dan Heng go brrrrr), Bailu (heals), March (shields)

I just got Fire MC so I think she’ll replace March because I don’t think I need 2 heal/shield supports.

But I also just pulled Gerard so if I really needed shields I’d replace March/MC with him.

I was hoping to replace Dan Heng with a 5* main dps.

E: but I also know from Genshin and other games that support characters are almost always better to go for than the carry of the week

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who is Kafka and why should I care.
you played as her in the intro

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She has a katana and guns and is probably violently insane.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Clarste posted:

I was responding to you saying they would have to simplify things. Anyway I'm not mad, I'm just making the apparently true observation that Honkai Impact fans have broken brains causing them to see everything like a paranoiac's conspiracy board. The connections are just for fun, they don't actually matter. The writers do not need to stop making connections just so you can understand them easier.

to be fair this sort of thing isn't limited to honkai. any time there's even a hint of connection between two different games there will be someone with a pinboard and string connecting invisible dots

see: final fantasy xiv

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Wall-of-text loreposting/theoryposting is interesting to read on occasion since it's nothing I would ever intentionally seek out otherwise, as I don't play any other Honkai games.

Also it's really hard to not just spend all these free gold tickets on the current banner, but I definitely want mob boss and hacker/gamer girl who are supposedly in the next banner :\

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

don't care about impact.
but i be on the lookout for some genshin links

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Clarste posted:

I mean, you say "people", but I'm pretty sure it's just the same person every time.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Clarste posted:

My dude, the selling point of the plot of the game literally references the overall myth arc of the franchise since early on in Honkai Impact 3's development when we got a look at the world outside of the game world that things took place in. Heck, the Star Rail is literally a reference to a massive plot point of where all the AU characters and crossover characters went to after their events ended. Some references and explanations may end up occurring.

Being upset that this is going to lead to people having to post the occasional huge wall of text explaining stuff is kind of like going into RPG with a massive number of relevant sequels and wondering why people keep talking about the plot of past games. It's not that they're posting paranoid screeds, it's that you don't give a poo poo and want to talk about how much it bothers you that people are talking about the plot points of the games everyone is playing.

Bland posted:

I mean, you say "people", but I'm pretty sure it's just the same person every time.

Going off of the Genshin thread it's been multiple people, myself one of them when explaining stuff some folks asked about. We had people screeching about it back then too, and it was just as inane of a complaint as it was then.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 30, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kafka is who I am saving up for because I love complete psychopaths

and I may or may not have realized until this morning that we have Fuel as a Fragile Resin equivalent to restore traiblazing power..that would've been handy to blow past the time gates :shepicide:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Wait are people upset because they think I was trying to drive across some absolute connection between the two games? Don't know what to say to that, but I was literally just noting some similarities and differences between the characters and their originators in 3rd. Now I'm wondering if anybody has ever heard of Osamu Tezuka's star system which I think is what's actually going on here and what Hoyo's plan is for these games and recurring characters.

Archonex posted:

Going off of the Genshin thread it's been multiple people, myself one of them when explaining stuff some folks asked about. We had people screeching about it back then too, and it was just as inane of a complaint as it was then.
It's kind of giving me the sense that some people want discussion to be limited to only what people did with their gacha roles or posting rare item finds or character build flexes, which is certainly a form of discussion, but at the same time I'm kind of old school. I cut my teeth on rather complex multi-entry sometimes involving alternate universes, lore heavy sci-fi/fantasy franchises like Gundam, Star Trek, Lord of The Rings, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, D&D, Magic The Gathering material going back to the early 90's. Stuff that gets me rethinking interpretations of events, characters and outcomes every time I go back to rewatch or revisit the vast amounts of material. I guess I'm a bit of a nerd in that sense, but this is the sort of stuff I personally find interesting and sometimes like to talk about, even a little at length. Your going to find multiple different types of people with varying degrees of interest or investment in this sort of material, and I think it's kind of wise to square that with yourself and with others in order to have a relatively productive/functional fan community that doesn't devolve into the sorts of petty infighting I see happen all too often these days, especially with the current generation of anime/otaku stuff if I'm being totally honest.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 30, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Archonex posted:

My dude, the selling point of the plot of the game literally references the overall myth arc of the franchise since early on in Honkai Impact 3's development when we got a look at the world outside of the game world that things took place in. Heck, the Star Rail is literally a reference to a massive plot point of where all the AU characters and crossover characters went to after their events ended.

Being upset that this is going to lead to people having to post the occasional huge wall of text explaining stuff is kind of like going into RPG with a massive number of relevant sequels and wondering why people keep talking about the plot of past games. It's not that they're posting paranoid screeds, it's that you don't give a poo poo and loudly want to talk about how much it bothers you that people are talking about the plot points of the game everyone is playing.

And yet, it is being marketed to and written for people who know nothing of Honkai Impact. Can HI fans enjoy it on a deeper level? Possibly! That doesn't mean it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Clarste posted:

Tbh that's just what liking lore in Mihoyo games does. Honkai doesn't even the most insane conspiracy boards compared to Genshin which is all about gnosticism and a shitload of references to ancient philosophy and stuff like color theory. :kheldragar: