Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I feel like they’re gonna give 3e time to simmer so it’s not quite immediately after 10th drops for 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Talas posted:

Wait, how many Dawnbringer books are going to be? Some were saying that 12 or that 12 factions will get support, so maybe the series will last until the start of 4th edition.

4 books, but all 12 factions are getting models for it.

Mors Rattus posted:

I feel like they’re gonna give 3e time to simmer so it’s not quite immediately after 10th drops for 40k.

10th ed is coming out in like two months time, june/july has always been new edition release months.

30k/Old World stream has started. Possibly the biggest opening cheer I've heard.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 30, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They are obviously dropping reveals for the two armies that everyone want. The cheer when this one went up was big.

That one will be a resin kit, but there will be plastic ones as well. And will come with an alternate head.
There will be a mix of new and returning kits, no specific details mentioned beyond that.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 30, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Brettonians rule so hard lol I love those toothless anglo-french illiterates

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just 10 minutes of Old World stream, disappointing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/30/warhammer-the-old-world-a-noble-bretonnian-paladin-stands-up-to-a-tomb-king

Article up. Not so much detail about the game and mostly talking about the models themselves.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Feel a little bad about the one guy locally trying to hype TOW, he was telling our group this announcement was going to be the BIG one...

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
A friend of a friend is apparently doing concept art or just art in general for the Old World and yeah, they said to my friend when they ran into each other at a wedding last year that it was pretty far off at that time. So they're probably not gonna have much to show for awhile. I suppose it might seem odd to have a stream be so prominently promoted and then only be 15 minutes or whatever but it gets it out, this is probably gonna be the most eyes they have on Warhammer stuff for awhile and it's going to get big articles everywhere and stuff, it lets people like lapsed fans who would be interested but don't pay much attention day to day know that an Old World reboot is a real thing that's happening.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I did say that there was no way in hell they'd announce two starter boxes on the same event. :v:
Even if the rumor that it'll be Brets versus TK has truth to it, but we probably won't see it for a while longer anyway.

Oh, turns out the starter set rumor was complete bullshit:
https://twitter.com/PrinceofBielTan/status/1652670382250373127

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 30, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Seems weird to not have a starter box with the book and two forces in it. Maybe selling everything separately is calibrated for maximum whale hunting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think to some extent the game is for old WHFB players who already have one or several armies in storage. So all they would need is their (possible) army book and the core book.

If that's the case it's an interesting stance for GW to take, and some might take is as an apology for End Times and AoS.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cooked Auto posted:

I think to some extent the game is for old WHFB players who already have one or several armies in storage. So all they would need is their (possible) army book and the core book.

If that's the case it's an interesting stance for GW to take, and some might take is as an apology for End Times and AoS.

Sure, but haven't they confirmed that they're doing new armies for it as well? If it's just rules and a few bits and pieces fair enough.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
they've said, a couple of years ago, that they're doing kislev at least

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Lmao, Bretonnians have always been my "I'll get them when I'm worthy enough" army; and now they are there and I'm ready for them, but my cash flow isn't.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I understand the point of faction vs faction if there is no starter box.

lol so many people bummed.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It was basically a blog post

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

Sure, but haven't they confirmed that they're doing new armies for it as well? If it's just rules and a few bits and pieces fair enough.

One of the first armies they announced for it was an expanded Kislev roster.
They've just oddly let that lie to the wayside to focus on nostalgia baiting with Bretonnia and Tomb Kings.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They basically confirmed the time frame setting that everyone knew. And said TK vs Bret and that they were focusing on the factions in the old world centered around Emp/Bret. Then added that all 8th edition factions are playable.

Then in QA they said no starter boxes...

I don't think they answered any questions people had and now I have more questions. haha

Danny LaFever fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 30, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
worst comes to worst I'm just gonna stand my Slaves to Darkness on some square tiles the size of their Old World bases and play a game or two so this isn't a big deal for me personally but it is a real headscratcher

peer
Jan 17, 2004

according to a followup tweet they did say there'll be Start Collecting-style boxes for every army. Presumably filled, at least partially, with 25 year old models

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ok thats fine. Really I think the only things that would have made people happy were revealing a release date and showing off actual boxes of stuff so whatever.

I was hoping they'd clarify basing, but they didn't really say much we didn't know.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Duke Nukem Forever of wargames

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

A Starter Set is way better since it has better value and you could split it with another player. But assuming GW is a competent company, they already did a study and saw that a big box just isn't worthy. I guess they saw how most TWW and Vermintide fans just wouldn't get into TOW...

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the site update they said metal models are coming back. Gross

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If theres no starter box for Cathay of Kislev then that's grounds to immediately shutter forge world and replace it with people who know how to sell a product

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If they had shown a Kislev/Cathay model and some more art. I think people would have been pretty happy. They already made a good post on the community site about TK/Bret

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
If the TOW ends up as lackluster and they're making it seem then I'll probably just buy a handful of models to paint and not actually ever play it.

Also if every AOS faction is getting a new unit with these books I really hope overlords get a new non hero unit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
New deepkin unit that isn't a hero, please, don't relegate us to Fyreslayer hell

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The more they reveal about ToW the worse it looks. No one wants to go back to resin and metal models. No one wants to rebase their mothballed armies. People want a neat starter box. At this point it seems like it is going to be a lot better to utilize the plethora of 3d printed options. If we can't get good plastics from GW, then there is no reason to use GW.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

gw guy clarifies the "starter set" thing

https://twitter.com/ED__E/status/1652702518743379972

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I don't think they're expecting people to rebase their models.

the thing they wrote last month on how things are assuming standardized unit footprints makes it seem like they're gonna start selling recessed movement trays.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The more they reveal about ToW the worse it looks. No one wants to go back to resin and metal models.

Except they also said said there will be plastic kits. They more or less implied that the Necrosphinx is going to be brought back as an example.

quote:

New models for the game will be released in Citadel plastic and Forge World resin, and they’ll join a whole range of resurrected and revitalised miniatures from prior editions of Warhammer Fantasy Battles – in plastic, resin, and metal – to make satisfyingly varied armies.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
No Starter Box seems really weird to me. Maybe they don't have confidence in this stuff selling well to new players, and getting single army boxes would be better? But I always felt the Starter Boxes were great value to convince new customers to dip their toe in. And if they bring any old mechanics back that need area templates, or scatter dice, or I don't know what else they might dredge up, then a Starter box would be the best way to package all that together. I don't think players have the patience anymore to pick up a book (or two), an army box, and an accessory pack all separate before they can even try playing a demo game.

peer posted:

gw guy clarifies the "starter set" thing

~Tweet~

Does GW not consider the Age of Darkness box a "Starter Box?" It felt like they pushed it that way to get 40K players to actually try HH, with plastic models. If that's really the case... then I guess a "Bretonnia Vs. Tomb Kings" box might still be possible, either of that caliber with a rule book and accessories, or just like the Isle of Blood box and other "Army vs Army" boxes.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 30, 2023

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
satisfyingly vary deez nuts

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
From that correction tweet, it just sounds like the messaging hasn't been great and the nomenclature they assumed everyone was clued in on isn't quite as universal as they thought.

So like, this Leviathan box for 40k technically wouldn't be a "starter" by their standards cause it doesn't have terrain and might assume you've played 40k before. They're going to have other 40k starters after this leviathan box is sold out, the 3 tiered ones like they did for 9th that do have the quick start guide and some simple terrain maybe but not the full thick rulebook and nowhere near as many models.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Desfore posted:

No Starter Box seems really weird to me. Maybe they don't have confidence in this stuff selling well to new players, and getting single army boxes would be better? But I always felt the Starter Boxes were great value to convince new customers to dip their toe in. And if they bring any old mechanics back that need area templates, or scatter dice, or I don't know what else they might dredge up, then a Starter box would be the best way to package all that together. I don't think players have the patience anymore to pick up a book (or two), an army box, and an accessory pack all separate before they can even try playing a demo game.

Does GW not consider the Age of Darkness box a "Starter Box?" If that's really the case... then I guess a "Bretonnia Vs. Tomb Kings" box might be possible, like the Isle of Blood box?

I can understand the lack of a starter box, it's a significant upfront cost for a game they have an unsure market for.

They're also coming off getting burned on Dominion and assuming there's a new AoS Starter next year we'd be waiting 2 years for a release window for it.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

thebardyspoon posted:

From that correction tweet, it just sounds like the messaging hasn't been great and the nomenclature they assumed everyone was clued in on isn't quite as universal as they thought.

So like, this Leviathan box for 40k technically wouldn't be a "starter" by their standards cause it doesn't have terrain and might assume you've played 40k before. They're going to have other 40k starters after this leviathan box is sold out, the 3 tiered ones like they did for 9th that do have the quick start guide and some simple terrain maybe but not the full thick rulebook and nowhere near as many models.

Now that you mention it... They did put out messaging around the release of Indomitus that it wasn't the "true Starter Box" for 9th. But everyone assumed that was because it was a limited time thing, not because of arbitrary terrain/beginner manual stuff.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think starter box has multiple meanings to GW. It can either mean a showy box like Indomitus or Leviathan where you get a bunch of new units to go along with your new edition rulebook.

And the actual starter boxes that come in basic tiers with a limited number of models and simple rules that teaches people how to play.

I think people have taken it for granted that a new game comes with a big showy introductory box, and are reacting oddly when it isn't the case for the first time because GW has some other ideas with this game than per normal.
But have done a very bad job at presenting this to the fanbase.

Notice how they call Leviathan a launch box and not a starter set. Pretty sure that was the lingo for Indomitus as well and HH.

The Deleter posted:

New deepkin unit that isn't a hero, please, don't relegate us to Fyreslayer hell

Looking at the newly announced releases I think it's already too late.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Mors Rattus posted:

Bad legacy designs from Oldhammer, it’s why I’m hype for the new models where the leadership actually is trying their best to do fancy outfits with meat and bone.

I feel like what we've seen from the new ghoul leadership they've leaned too far into the meat and bone aspect for the delusion to really come through; personally I'd of preferred more faded finery and rusty armour salvaged from old battlefields rather than the supposed regalia being entirely meat based.

On the matter of the Old World, that new Brettonian model rocks, but its a real shame that its in resin; is it just cheaper for GW to make resin moulds of models they don't think are going to sell particularly well? It's really hard to gauge how much support TOW is actually going to get, but I guess my best case scenario right now is something similar to Necromunda where the older troop kits get new sculpts in plastic and most of the heros, speciality units, and characters end up in resin.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Resin moulds are a bit more fragile, but I think they're aiming more towards characters being in resin compared to troops that will be in plastic.
I think their rationale is that you're only going to buy one character model for your army, so better to have a more detailed model. Compared to troops being in plastic because those you're going to buy a lot of and the spruce up with upgrade kits.

I seriously doubt that them being unsure of the line selling had anything to do with that decision.