Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

achtungnight posted:

A bottle of enchanted tequila made by skilled Tijuana elves!

That's what it says on the label, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
don't drink the Awakened Worm.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

don't drink the Awakened Worm.

Something something vomit without rhythm.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 27 - A Ghoulish Past

Gasp, there's a ghoul armed to the teeth on our boat!

Oh, right.

Checking your email?

Reading a book, actually. The pins press up from the reader, each syllable or character scrolling from cell to cell on the surface. It takes some practice, but once you get the knack down, it is simple. I suppose I could have the book read to me, but I prefer reading it this way.

Looks like you've carved out a nice little spot here.

If you say so. I doubt it would be suitable for others, but I do not require much by way of space, and have few possessions. So long as I have a quiet area in which I can sit and relax, I am happy. I would offer you a place to sit as well, but I fear I only have boxes. Now... Was there something you wished to discuss?

Any thoughts about that last run?

Solid work down there by the way, thought for a moment we'd lost you on the first job when you got mummynapped that one time though.

A curious affair. I wish we had more time to study the nature of the mummies we found in the catacombs, as I am unaware of any spirit or paranormal phenomenon which could explain their existence. Bound spirits? A strain of HMHVV? Perhaps something else entirely... Their nature is unclear to me.

It is unfortunate that will be unable to study them any further. I doubt any remain within the catacombs, and even if they do, it seems unlikely we will ever return there. At least we retrieved a fine blade in the process, though.

(Alternatively, had we taken the mummy's deal...)

quote:

I should very much like to know how the mummy's trinket came to be. It may well be that we have discovered a new form of immortality or manner of spiritual being. To store one's essence in an object - what a concept! Such an opportunity is one that should be studied in depth.

Was there anything else?

What were you reading?

Sounds familiar, about the importance of living with preparedness for death or something along those lines?

(Academic) Wasn't he forbidden from killing himself when his lord died?

[Gaichu blinks, obviously surprised. A wide grin spreads across his face.]

You know of him, then? Yes, that is Tsunetomo. He was eager to die and show his loyalty, but Lord Mitsushige had always found that custom to be wasteful. The author has a central thesis: when there is a question of life or death, always choose death. Throw oneself into the fray with no resignations, and act on instinct alone. My current state of affairs speaks the truth of this more robustly than any lesson in a dojo.

That sounds a little crazy, honestly.

So it seems to most in Japan as well. Most are unprepared to live by the code of Bushido. Like any special forces unit, the Red Samurai are elite. Those that cannot meet the stringent requirements are not looked down upon - they are simply not exceptional.

And you are?

Obviously. I am not only a Red Samurai, but one who managed to live when his unit tried to kill him. I have survived and even begun to prosper. What is that, if not exceptional?

Semantics must also be one of the weapons Red Samurai are trained to fight with.

The book itself is partly a manual for proper behavior toward one's lord, partly a rumination on the mindset required to be victorious in combat, and partly a collection of stories. Tsunetomo believed that to truly embody the virtues of a samurai, adherents should be mindful of their path at all times. Never stop training. Always question how one's actions reflect on their lord. Above all, be prepared to do your duty instinctively at any time, no matter what the cost.

That sounds like a dangerous path to walk.

I am certain it is, but what choice do I have? Without a cure for my condition, all that I am able to do is embrace the reality of what I have become. It does not seem like much of a choice at all, to me.

(Academic) If I recall correctly though, the author was a bureaucrat who never fought anyone.

Guess I can respect him for trying to elevate the philosophy.

As do I. No one is perfect, but we should all strive as diligently as he to elevate our way of being. Most walk through life blind, never understanding their own desires or the effects of their actions. If more of us meditated as deeply as Tsunetomo on our lot in life, I suspect there would be less misery in the world.

What does he say about masterless samurai like you?

"Seven times down, eight times up."

[Gaichu smiles thinly, rapping a claw on the hilt of his sword.]

More specifically, if a samurai has not been a ronin at least seven times, then he has not truly lived as a samurai. Those were different times, however. It was common for samurai to fall out of favor with their lord and be turned loose to wander. For company men like myself, the choice is serve or die.

And your refusal to kill yourself?

I suspect he would not approve of my decision. For him, a commandment to take one's own life was sacrosanct. But he also had a strong belief in lords treating their retainers justly, and with kindness. In practice, this was not always the case. Now, is there anything else you would like to discuss?

Guess he was lucky to have lived in such a different era, guy would probably soil his meditation pillow if he saw the way modern "lords" would one day treat their "retainers".

Actually, I want to know more about what it's like to be a ghoul.

[Gaichu cocks his head at you, his milky eyes narrowing mirthfully.]

Preparing for the eventuality of killing me and collecting the bounty? Make sure you leave my face intact - I would prefer to be a well-preserved trophy.

Don't worry, I'll have it stuffed and mounted on my wall.

[He bares his teeth in a rictus grin. You can hear a faint chuckle rumble in the back of his throat.]

Now that would be an illustrious end to my career. A severed head, decorating a leaking wreck of a boat, home to extremely private individuals who will never show me off. Couldn't you sell it to a museum, or something of that sort?

I could sell your body to an herb shop - one of the stodgy, traditional ones.

[Gaichu grows serious, leaning back.]

If you wish to know about what it is like to be me, ask away. I see no reason to conceal the details of my condition.

Most ghouls smell like rotting meat. Why don't you?

Diet and cleanliness. Most ghouls eat rotting flesh, and do not bathe. I eat fresh meat, and bathe regularly.

So, you eat people. What's that like?

And they said years on the streets and more in black site isolation "blunted" our social skills, pfft.

[Gaichu blinks a few times, and cocks his head as if to stare at the ceiling.]

What is it like to eat anything else? Or for a diabetic to take insulin? It is like that: a fact of life. I have found that most people are revolted by the *concept* of eating the flesh of humans, rather than the act itself.

Do I enjoy it? No, not especially. Some Japanese are fond of pork and chicken sashimi, but I have never been one of them.

[Gaichu shrugs helplessly.]

But it is a fact I must accept. And if it is how things will be, I will make the best of it.

Do you feel bad about having to eat people?

No. But I was never a vegetarian, so why should I?

[Gaichu seems puzzled by the question, as if he's missing nuances of meaning.]

It does not matter where the meat comes from - someone who died in a car accident is as viable as someone I kill. I admit, I have eaten people that I have killed, but that was of necessity. I was going to kill them anyway; why let their bodies go to waste?

Might get in some interesting theological debates on that one, although those are just another thing being a ghoul is pretty solid protection from.

Speaking of eating, what's the deal with your teeth?

What "deal" are you referring to?

Did you file them down into those points?

No. They are actually new teeth, created by the infection. I suppose it is a natural advantage to have teeth better suited for carnivorous pursuits.

Last one then. Are you immortal?

It might be interesting to ask a doctor.

To what end? I live by the sword, and I will die by it. I have no illusions about my chances of growing old.

[Gaichu shakes his head in dismissal.]

How would I live out my days? In a rural country village, eating people who happened to expire on nearby roads? That will not be my fate.

Could always put the ancient philosophy of eating the rich to literal practice, if there's meat to be found that isn't all fouled by grease and perfume.

Alright, moving on then. Last time we were talking about your father bailing you out of jail.

Renraku family kid got caught stealing a vanful of Shiawase goods, big shame on familial and corporate daddies both. The "caught" part, not the "stealing" part, apparently.

Is something the matter?

No, I...

[Gaichu purses his lips and sighs heavily.]

No, everything is fine. I will tell you what you wish to know. I simply have not spoken of my family in a long time.

Bad memories?

No. Quite good ones, actually. As with my mother and sister, I haven't seen Yasujiro in many years, but that is my fault. We may not have seen eye to eye when I was young, but we came to an understanding. Eventually.

What did that cost him?

I have no idea. He refused to reveal what he had been forced to do in exchange, but I cannot imagine it was cheap. Insider information, perhaps? A deliberately botched contract? Yasujiro was a manager in the water and power division, so the deal would have been lucrative but not secret.

I'm honestly surprised he cut a deal at all.

On some level, I am as well. Those sorts of deals are made all the time between middle managers who compete across corporations, but they are always frowned upon. Usually, they are also illegal.

I had always taken my family for granted. Raised in a Renraku family, going to Renraku schools, I always had a sense of *place.* Of belonging where I was. The thought of all of that vanishing... I simply could not imagine it. Suddenly, the reality of my actions became clear.

[Gaichu runs his fingers over his bald scalp, smiling distantly.]

From then on, I tried to be the son he wanted, and he seemed glad of it. We grew much closer over the next few years. He took time off to visit me, when I was living in Kyoto.

Why would that be unusual?

He was a very busy man, in those days. A lot of responsibility, and very little time for himself. I was impressed that he could carve off as much time as he did, just to go camping with his son.

A lot of nice wilderness in that part of Japan, I bet.

Very much so. The land around Kyoto is protected from development, due to historical and cultural significance. Most of the mountains are considered sacred, so the Diet declared them a national preserve. We made several trips to the area between Kyoto and Nara, around the village of Ide. We camped in the mountains above it. We would hunt wild deer and boar there, using my family's antique arquebus.

Wow, an arquebus? Seen a lot of people get gunned down by all sorts of gear, but never seen anyone take their last ride on one of those. You'd probably become something of a local legend.

That's a strange choice of weapon.

It is a choice of expediency. It is nearly impossible for a private citizen to own a firearm in Japan, which is why you may so often read of yakuza attacks involving swords and cleavers. As the tanegashima that my family owns is from the 18th century, it is exempt from ordinary regulations.

[Gaichu chuckles softly to himself.]

Perhaps ironically, hunting with my father is how I learned to prepare raw meat. Strange to think that such activities served as training for my current state of affairs.

So what's the process? How do you do prepare it?

Soak the meat in brined water, and simmer it at a low heat for several hours. Let it cool, and repeat the process over several days. It cannot get too hot, or I am unable to eat it. This process brings out the collagen in the meat. When it is done, I spice it with ginger and sansho pepper. Again, not too much: mundane food is anathema to me.

[Sighing happily, Gaichu stares off into the distance. When he looks back, he smiles broadly at you.]

Those were good days. I am sorry I cannot go back to those times. When one joins the Red Samurai, one must give up all attachments of one's previous life. The company, the code, and the unit become the entirety of your world.

Even your family ties have to be cut?

Especially those. Anything that could distract you from a mission must be purged. Commitment to the unit and the company must be total.

So how did you end up joining the Renraku military?

Ahh. A fair question, given my youthful indiscretions.

[Gaichu leans back, his blind eyes turned toward the ceiling.]

Are you familiar with the Kempeitai?

Not from personal experience, but...

(Academic) Aren't they the Japanese political police?

Mmm, yes. Much like the commissars of the Soviet Union, they are responsible for enforcing political and social orthodoxy. Not only concerned with the army, the Kempeitai also enforce certain laws with regards to the general populace. It is an organization with little oversight, broad powers, and simple recruitment methods. As such, power tends to get the better of most members. When they were reactivated in 2036, the Emperor told the nation, "In uncertain times and an era of great change, we must remember what it is to be Japanese." In practice, they are usually petty thugs.

When I was enrolled at Kyoto University, I studied global security and political science. It is the major generally used as a gateway to private security postings with both government and corporate militaries. I knew I wanted to fight - I was a young man, and my blood was always up. One of the requirements was that students join the Youth Brigade Kempeitai.

You have to be a good fascist to get a good job?

That is an indelicate way to put it, but... yes. I believe the purpose of the Youth Brigade is to teach students to glorify the state over the self.

Seems like the kind of thing Renraku would look favorably upon.

These days, the megacorporations have begun to resist that kind of nationalism in favor of corporate pride. Youth Brigade service is becoming a black mark, rather than a positive.

[Gaichu shifts, resting his elbows on his knees as he leans forward.]

I do not know if the alternative is any better, though.

So did you enjoy it?

Not at first. Later, it became... pleasant. Power is a heady thing, especially for a youth who has few superiors to answer to. We developed a sense of superiority over others and began to abuse our power. I believe that may have been part of the point.

They didn't want you to use your power responsibly?

Quite the opposite. They wanted to engender those feelings of superiority, and to encourage the Youth Brigade to see themselves as above the common citizens. The state is above the individual, and as instruments of the state, we were taught that we were, as well. And we did as we were taught. Such is the way of authority on the young.

Do you regret getting involved with the Youth Brigade?

[Gaichu cocks his head quizzically.]

No, why? It was a necessary step in my plans for my future, even if some of the behaviors that we were involved in were distasteful. The state of the nation was such that those kinds of behaviors were legal, and condoned.

I think I read about some Germans who tried to use that defense, once.

I believe I have read that story as well. But I think you misapply the lesson. In Nuremberg, those on trial had perpetrated crimes against other nations. The Youth Brigade act only internally to Japan.

Is that really any better?

If it is not, be prepared to condemn any nation that has ever existed. This world is propped up by a million invisible tyrannies, from the overt crimes of the megacorporations to the casual bigotry of the corner store owner. I do not have time or energy to tilt at all of those windmills. History can condemn or exonerate me, but all I know for certain is that I did what was required of me at the time.

So what kind of things did you do?

The details do not matter overmuch. Forced our way into homes under false pretenses to intimidate families. We encouraged children to inform on their parents. Accepted bribes to look the other way, if we were in the mood - or had people arrested for said bribery, if we were not. Petty behavior, but such things were encouraged.

The pay was good, and the excitement of being an elite was an attractive proposition. I accepted, but I did not truly understand what I was signing up for. As I told you before, they force you to give up everything except the company and unit. That was made clear to me, but I did not truly *understand* it.

drat, if only we'd realized you were supposed to get money and status for being cut off from society and forced to give up your freedom and everything else you know and have. Really goofed that one up!

And did you regret that decision?

On the whole? No. I do not know who I would have been, had I not joined. Perhaps there are things that I miss, but regret is perpetual. One is always tempted to ask "what if," but that is a trap.

[Gaichu raps two knuckles on his breastplate.]

This is who I became. The armor was my protection and my identity.

[Shaking his head wistfully, Gaichu snorts.]

It seems ridiculous, in retrospect - we were all so young. None of us had any idea what we were doing, except trying to become the best soldiers in the world. And yet those strangers became my new family, in the absence of the old.

Tell me about the members of that unit.

[Gaichu wrinkles his nose as if smelling something foul.]

That chapter of my life is over and done with, and they are no longer part of my world. Why would you care about any of that?

If they're still hunting you, I need to know about them.

[He stares at you for a long, silent moment. Finally, he grunts.]

Very well. That is a fair point.

Your identity becomes secret, erased from any database that might connect you to the Red Samurai. You use only your code name when in the field, and your given name is known only to your commanders and your unit. Even other Red Samurai units have no idea who you really are.

[Finally looking up from his hands, Gaichu leans back against the boxes.]

Contact with the outside world is cut off completely. Even once training is over, your communications are restricted. Maintaining relationships outside of those you work with is frowned upon. It forces new recruits to bond more tightly than in any other military unit. Every emotion a recruit has for their old friends and family is transferred to the unit. In a very real way, you are required to love your teammates.

That's a lot of stress. What if a recruit can't take it?

Very few recruits get to this point if they cannot handle it. We all underwent stringent psychological tests prior to this point. If a recruit cannot handle it, he and the rest of his unit are failed out of the program. The rationale is simple: if one member cannot take the training and his unit cannot carry him through, they have all failed.

Red Samurai units are always five members, one of whom is a spellcaster. During training, each member takes turns being commander; the most competent is given the billet permanently upon graduation.

That seems like a good way to ensure everybody has a fair shot at it.

[Gaichu nods, propping himself up on one knee.]

It is. By rotating who has command duties, we were able to see very quickly who had the mind and personality to lead the team, and who was more comfortable following. And the way I have heard it, they worried that assigning a seasoned commander would lead to the person thinking of the unit as an asset to be used, rather than a family to protect. That they would see themselves as "above" the team. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that is what I have heard.

Takagawa was usually the second in command. As our designated marksman, he tended to have a better tactical view of how an operation should be run, simply because he needed to study the terrain more. He loved to get us laughing. Without him, I think I would have gone crazy in the first few months.

Our mage's name was Sasaki. She had been in training as a miko - an apprentice priestess - when her magic began to manifest. She was in the unit for the challenge, and for the money. Her family had always been poor, and they had always told her she would never amount to anything. I think she had joined the Red Samurai just to prove to them that she could do anything she wanted.

Hard to work with?

[Gaichu smiles distantly.]

No, actually. Quite the opposite. She was excellent at encouraging us to go above and beyond what we thought ourselves capable of. I think part of her secret was that she never actually questioned if she could accomplish any of her goals. She simply assumed that it was inevitable.

Our heavy gunner's name was Aomori. He kept the team honest with itself - he never had a disparaging word for anyone, but would not hesitate to call someone out for their behavior. Sasaki loved that about him - really, she loved all of him. The two were discreet, but discretion only goes so far in such a small team. Still, we respected their privacy where possible.

Is that kind of thing allowed?

If the unit commander allows it, yes. We were given incredibly wide leeway in what to allow or forbid in our unit, the belief being that results were the only thing that mattered. If the unit failed, it would fail as a whole. Sasaki and Aomori were crazy about each other, and it would have done more harm to keep them apart.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing well. If that thing is also your duty, it is worth doing perfectly. Many times, we would perform a drill or exercise "well enough" - but that was not good enough, if I had to trust my life to it. That was why we became one of the best teams in the organization's history.

It sounds like you miss them.

[Gaichu growls, his tone annoyed.]

Of course I do! They were my family for eight years. Who wouldn't miss that? That sense of belonging and shared values?

[He sighs heavily.]

I apologize. It is just that those feelings are still raw, sometimes. Even if I were to be cured, I could never go back. They have been disgraced, and I have done unforgivable things. I have been cast out for good.

Ah. Yeah, that one seems like it'd make for an awkward family reunion.

[He opens his eyes after a moment, shoulders slumping.]

It is not an easy memory to grapple with. It was nearly a year ago, but... it still feels as raw as if it were yesterday. I am tired. Come back later, and we can talk more. I need to process the emotions.

That's fine, Gaichu. Take your time.

You know what really helps with emotional processing though, having someone go through your stuff because they didn't do it last time. Might give him something else to think about, at least?

[Gaichu cocks his head, sniffing the air in your direction.]

Ahh. I see you have found my box of personal effects. Please, feel free to examine whatever you like within it. Just take care to put them back when you are done. I do not own much, but the things I keep are very precious to me. They are all that remains of my former life.

What's this wooden mask, Gaichu?

It is a mask from the historical Noh play, "Ikuta Atsumori." The face is that of a young samurai, Taira no Atsumori.

[Gaichu faces your direction, gesturing toward the mask.]

I had a collection of a dozen or so Noh masks, when I was younger. That is the last remaining one, and my personal favorite.

What's the play about?

A young man travels with the priest who raised him to Ikuta Shrine, to commune with the spirit of his father, Taira no Atsumori. The young man's father died at the battle of Ichi-no-Tani when the son was only a baby, and he wishes to know who his father was. The pair stay the night in a small hut. In the night, the hermit in the hut explains that he is the ghost of Atsumori.

Atsumori has been granted a brief reprieve from his time in the afterlife, to meet his son. During the night, they speak of the battle in which Atsumori was killed, the history of the Taira family, and their philosophy. Atsumori fades into darkness as he finishes the tale of the Tairas' downfall, just as the family itself faded into obscurity.

So why is it your favorite?

[Gaichu smiles, expression distant.]

A measure of civic pride, I suppose. And I like the story. Taira no Atsumori died at the battle of Ichi-no-Tani, just outside Kobe. The play takes place primarily at Ikuta Shrine, which is located in downtown Kobe. In old cities in Japan - especially in Keihanshin - I have always felt there is a sense of history wherever one looks. The skyline may have skyscrapers and delivery drones, but the foundations are laid on the bones of the dead.

[He shrugs, folding his arms across his chest.]

I think it is important to remember their sacrifices and joys, sorrows and glories.

[He laughs suddenly, shaking his head.]

This is why sometimes I worry that I am a sentimentalist at heart.

What's the difference between a normal play and Noh anyway?

Noh actors wear those masks to cover their faces. The angle they hold themselves at changes the expression on the mask, so the acting is highly rigid and controlled. The entire performance is highly ritualized - there is no measure of improvisation allowed, only refinement of the prescribed form.

[Gaichu folds his arms over his chest, dipping his chin in thought.]

I have heard that the creators of Noh - a father and son in the fourteenth century - took inspiration from magical rituals at Shinto shrines. It is said that by placing masks upon their face, the actors become possessed by the spirit of the character they play. There are worse fates, I think, than to embody the spirit of a tragic warrior like Atsumori.

Simpler times, get possessed by a spirit in the middle of a theatre play now and the plot twists could get real dramatic.

[Gaichu wrinkles his nose, his expression one of distaste.]

Ugh. That thing. It's a beautiful set, but it is a shame that I am unable to make use of it.

Because you're blind?

The set was a gift from a professor of Japanese literature. He appreciated my interest in the classics - "The Tale of the Heike," "The Tale of Genji," the "Collection of Ten Thousand Leaves," et cetera. I think he wished to encourage me to cultivate non-martial interests.

[He smiles crookedly, and shrugs.]

I appreciated the gesture, but my attempts at fine calligraphy mostly resembled excited chickens prancing over paper, their feet soaked in ink.

What's this tiny statue with the bib?

Hmm?

[Gaichu pauses, turning an ear more fully toward you.]

Ah. It is a statue of Jizo, the protector of children. He is also the guardian of travellers - statues of him are placed along almost every road in Japan. His name outside of Japan is "Ksitigarbha."

You don't seem like a person who cares about having kids.

I have no interest in having children. I did, at one time, but no longer. I have kept the statue not because of my love of Jizo's role, but of his temple in Kyoto. It was one of my few refuges from the world, when I lived in the city. Jizo-in is a tiny place. It is fairly close to the much larger and better-known sister temple of Saiho-ji, on the western edge of Kyoto. Unlike Saiho-ji, however, Jizo-in is almost unknown.

[Gaichu smiles fondly, looking sightlessly into the distance.]

To get there, you have to walk through twisting residential streets, past a deep green grove of bamboo. If you do not know what you are looking for, you will never find it, and most people assume the road it is on is simply a dead end. I recall walking there in a light rain. I could smell the ginkgo and maple leaves in the slight breeze. I would go there and simply sit, and let myself be, whenever I felt the stress of school was too much for me.

Weird, listening to this kinda makes you feel nostalgic somehow, even though he might as well be describing a scene from an entirely different planet from the one we grew up on.

That sounds nice.

[Smiling faintly, Gaichu dips his head.]

I rather thought so. I never saw more than two other people in the temple, no matter what the time of year. It seemed, at the time, to be my own private sanctuary.

[Gaichu grunts, not turning toward you.]

The fan is from Senso-ji temple, in Asakusa. One of the districts of Neo-Tokyo. The image is one of the less famous works by Ando Hiroshige, a woodblock printer from before the Meiji Restoration. I purchased the fan while on leave from my military training. It reminds me of how open life felt, when I was younger - how the future seemed to stretch out, full of possibility. And, also, because I like the painting.

A future full of possibility huh, now there's a dream. Not one for here and now of course, here all the dreams are terrible nightmares and the possibilities limited to different flavors of a violent death, but if we manage to dig ourselves out of this mess one day... Then yeah, that day Shin Black's going to make her own call about her future. What roads we'll have open to choose from when that day comes, who knows, and maybe ours will end up being the most dumbass drat choice anyone's ever made, but whatever. Doesn't matter, what matters is that this time it'll be a choice that nobody else makes for us.

But as of right now we've exhausted our choices of conversation partner inside this old boat, so let's step outside for a while before picking up our next job, see what's going on in town.

Some miscellaneous alternate dialogue choices that didn't fit anywhere else. Douzo.

The author has a central thesis: when there is a question of life or death, always choose death. Throw oneself into the fray with no resignations, and act on instinct alone. My current state of affairs speaks the truth of this more robustly than any lesson in a dojo.

That doesn't sound too different from life in the Redmond Barrens.

Truly?

[Gaichu considers this, leaning over to rest his arm on one knee.]

I have fought a few shadowrunners in my time, and I admit, they have always proven more tenacious opponents than corporate soldiers have.

When you've got nothing left to lose, you're the most dangerous.

And this is why I am unconcerned with appearing dangerous. I appear dangerous because I am. What is left for me to lose but my life?

---

Tsunetomo believed that to truly embody the virtues of a samurai, adherents should be mindful of their path at all times. Never stop training. Always question how one's actions reflect on their lord. Above all, be prepared to do your duty instinctively at any time, no matter what the cost.

Instinct seems better suited to a ghoul than a man, honestly.

[Spreading his palms, Gaichu bows his head in assent.]

Some might take offense at that assessment, but I am inclined to agree. I do not plan with the same efficacy as I once did. But I would not curse the tiger for relying on its instincts - why should I not make use of mine?

Aren't you worried that you'll lose more of yourself?

I have considered it. But I do not think it likely. How can I lose a self that no longer exists? If I refuse to accept what I have become, I limit myself to remaining a damaged remnant of the man I was. But if I embrace my new nature, I can grow and become more than a mere man.

---

Preparing for the eventuality of killing me and collecting the bounty? Make sure you leave my face intact - I would prefer to be a well-preserved trophy.

Who'd want such an ugly trophy anyway?

[Gaichu grins broadly, leaning toward you. He gestures at his face, drawing the backs of his claws down one cheek.]

Surely you are joking. Look at this fearsome visage! Why, mount this over your front door, and you can be certain no unwanted guests will ever stop by. Probably not any wanted ones, either!

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 30, 2023

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there are parts of Hong Kong that do not rise to the same level as Dragonfall. Gaichu is not one of them

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, great character. Like most of the other party members, he has a very different mindset than what the player is likely to have, but you feel like you can understand him to a degree.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I adore that they called out tsunetomo as being a soft handed failson. Also the noh stuff is great, i studied that at university. The main thing that stuck with me is that falling asleep to it is considered a legitimate form of appreciation ( it's incredibly dull)

What a great conversation.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Gaichu is a very fun guy. Probably my favorite on the team though I like them all, except Duncan.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to thank Kanfy for carrying on with this, even at a slow rate. I know that he's very burned out, but I hope to see the trilogy finished one day and then re-read them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I just wanted to thank Kanfy for carrying on with this, even at a slow rate. I know that he's very burned out, but I hope to see the trilogy finished one day and then re-read them.

Hmm, I don't really consider myself burned out, if I was then I'd probably just give up because we're not exactly close to the end here. There'll be faster times, hashtag 2023 goals, post enough updates to the LP to stop getting thanked just for actually sometimes posting an update to the LP (I appreciate it though, thanks for sticking with it).

As for Gaichu, it was definitely a pretty bold move to put a full-fledged party member with all this story content into a seemingly random side job you might simply put off, and give you the (not even unreasonable) option to just unceremoniously kill him off forever with basically a single dialogue choice at that.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 1, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I missed Gaichu my first time playing HK, and always regretted it. He's a lot of fun.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

As someone who's not at all deep on Shadowrun lore outside of playing the games, I really liked Gaichu as a character because he's a window into a bunch of stuff we hadn't seen before - ghouls, what it's like to be a 'monster' in the world, being an insider in corporate culture, and the Red Samurai.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gaichu was formerly one kind of terrifying, hideous murder machine that smart metahumans would cut a mile wide path to avoid - a Red Samurai - and then he became a different kind of one - a ghoul.

It's an interesting view into both the hyper-bushido unpersoning of Renraku's elite forces and the instinctive drive and tenacity needed to not just survive as a ghoul but to keep one's sanity and social graces while doing so.

Gaichu has died many deaths but will never fall.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gaichu is obviously a seriously warped person, or one lacking any kind of decent moral center -- he's not particularly bothered by his time in a fascist youth police organization, for example -- but at least he's polite. You don't have to like your coworkers, just get along with them.

Then again, we kill people and steal things for a triad boss.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, Gaichu is a reliable team member but he freaks me out in a way that Racter doesn't. And it's certainly not because he's a ghoul.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Gaichu strikes me as a guy who it would be exceptionally unpleasant to talk politics about

He still seems to view Red Samurai indoctrination and Renraku philosphphy favorably

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JT Jag posted:

He still seems to view Red Samurai indoctrination and Renraku philosphphy favorably

Why wouldn't he? Certainly from an outside perspective it's horrible, yes. But from his point of view he lived a very respectable and enjoyable life.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I like to think Gaichu and the Ghost of Sparta would find a lot in common should they sit down together and have a chat. There might need to be a fight first though. Both would leave that battle seriously injured, one might even be dead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Stroth posted:

Why wouldn't he? Certainly from an outside perspective it's horrible, yes. But from his point of view he lived a very respectable and enjoyable life.

There is the whole being expected to kill himself and being perpetually hunted thing. Most people wouldn't be a fan of that. The thing is that Gaichu still seems to believe pretty heavily in that stuff still, even if he didn't personally follow through on it. See the part of the discussion where he reacts to the pc arguing against samurai suicide.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
There's plenty of people in the real world who look at extreme nationalism and capitalism as admirable, despite ample evidence to the contrary. Even if the masses are hosed, the people who are doing well in horrible systems are perfectly happy to maintain the status quo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
every once in a while an RPG decides it's going to take a metaphor and run with it, and they've been kind enough to have Gaichu put his right on the table for you in that chain. between "yeah I was recruited to be a fascist street tough," "my training's philosophy was about Always Choose Death," and the fact he's a ghoul: gaichu is a man whose entire life was leading up to the glorious moment he could fulfill his death drive, and go out in glory on behalf of his masters and duty.

and then the moment came, and he lived instead.

the dead man walks, a violation of all the laws of god, man, and everything he personally had believed. and yet, somehow the world keeps turning.

we are beginning to suspect the laws were bullshit.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

There's plenty of people in the real world who look at extreme nationalism and capitalism as admirable, despite ample evidence to the contrary. Even if the masses are hosed, the people who are doing well in horrible systems are perfectly happy to maintain the status quo.

What exactly are you arguing for here JustJeff88?

That because a fascist system has benefitted someone it’s okay for them not to be aware of the harm they’ve cause? Or that the harm they caused is given a pass because it’s the approved government philosophy?

I’m missing it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think he's pretty clearly saying that there are plenty of people in awful systems who think that way as a matter of fact, and not that he thinks it's ok that they view things that way. Gaichu's worldview exists amongst plenty of people in our world.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, all he's saying is that gently caress you, got mine exists and that people who got mine are likely to support the things that did that for them.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's actually surprising to me that Gaichu has insight into how he and the other young brownshirts in the Imperial Junior Secret Police were given license to be corrupt and needlessly cruel for a reason.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gaichu has a sense of professionalism that he's developed over his career that causes him to recognize that he was just a thug, but he doesn't really care about the fascism.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

every once in a while an RPG decides it's going to take a metaphor and run with it, and they've been kind enough to have Gaichu put his right on the table for you in that chain. between "yeah I was recruited to be a fascist street tough," "my training's philosophy was about Always Choose Death," and the fact he's a ghoul: gaichu is a man whose entire life was leading up to the glorious moment he could fulfill his death drive, and go out in glory on behalf of his masters and duty.

and then the moment came, and he lived instead.

the dead man walks, a violation of all the laws of god, man, and everything he personally had believed. and yet, somehow the world keeps turning.

we are beginning to suspect the laws were bullshit.

My take on things, inspired partially by the Ghost of Sparta, Gaichu, and other similar characters-

"Once upon a time, there was a man. He had labored for a long time as a teacher, a warrior, and a woodcutter, working to benefit a community. One day, the man grew frustrated and weary with his duties, cast down several logs he was carrying to the community from the wilderness, and called for Death to come and meet with him. Death came in response, first allowing the man some time to reflect on his lot in life before Death's arrival. After her arrival, Death then discussed the man's duties and frustrations and weariness with the man, hoping to help the man reach a decision.

"When he made that decision, the man stood up and asked Death to help him carry to the community the logs he had cast down. Death agreed to this request, and then she called for other people with wagons and other tools to assist the man. She helped the man to his feet, gave him what advice she could, reminded him he was not alone and that he was valued. Death also said that she would not take the man at present, however she would return for him later. The man agreed this was good, and also said that Death could have him when she earned him. Death chuckled and agreed that would be a good time to collect the man."

I have been this man to an extent. So have the Ghost of Sparta, Gaichu, and many other characters, fictional and non-fictional. Death in the above story is an adaptation of the Neil Gaiman version of Death per my preference, please insert another version of Death if you prefer them over mine or Gaiman's. I hope that story was enjoyed.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 8, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Murgos posted:

What exactly are you arguing for here JustJeff88?

That because a fascist system has benefitted someone it’s okay for them not to be aware of the harm they’ve cause? Or that the harm they caused is given a pass because it’s the approved government philosophy?

I’m missing it.

I was basically trying to say that no-one (not literally no-one, but very few) are going to campaign for changing a system that worked well for them.

Same thing from the opposite side... look at how many bitter old fucks have fought against privileges and changes that they would have loved to have, but do so on the grounds that 'I had to suffer, so should you'. It's one thing to fight to preserve one's privileges, it's another to preserve miseries.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Hey Kanfi, just wanted to say I finished reading the playthroughs of the first two games on the let's play archive. I adored playing through them, and seeing a completionist who knows how to open the game files to get every possible choice and conversation helps rediscovering these games. I was pretty bummed out when I saw the date at which Dragonfall had been concluded and thought there would be no Hong-Kong playthrough. I started toying with the idea of trying my own hand at a narrative let's play, looked up ressources on the forums. And that's more or less when I stumbled on this thread. And drat I'm glad I found it, so I bought an account to say thanks for playing these amazing games and I hope you're having a good time going through them as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Mindopali posted:

Hey Kanfi, just wanted to say I finished reading the playthroughs of the first two games on the let's play archive. I adored playing through them, and seeing a completionist who knows how to open the game files to get every possible choice and conversation helps rediscovering these games. I was pretty bummed out when I saw the date at which Dragonfall had been concluded and thought there would be no Hong-Kong playthrough. I started toying with the idea of trying my own hand at a narrative let's play, looked up ressources on the forums. And that's more or less when I stumbled on this thread. And drat I'm glad I found it, so I bought an account to say thanks for playing these amazing games and I hope you're having a good time going through them as well.

Welcome, and I'm glad to hear you've been enjoying them so much, it means a lot! Good timing too, here's an update.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 28 - Waterside Chats (Part 1)

Out and about, we first stop by Crafty's magic shop. To recap, her mom was obsessed with the idea of figuring out what's messing up the Walled City, a pursuit which apparently took a heavy toll on her mind and left her daughter both with bad childhood memories and a houseful of disjointed notes and journals she's been reluctantly digging through at our suggestion. Might be linked to all these bad dreams and maybe even to our foster dad's own interest in the place, after all.

Not too much. How about you?

[A slow smile spreads across her cheeks. She nods.]

This mind-numbing tedium is starting to pay off. Check this out: the dreams that everyone's having - they aren't really dreams. They're *omens.* From what I've gathered, we're walking a fine line here. They're pretty dangerous. Attempts to interpret them could lead to mixed results.

What do you mean by "omens"?

You know. Omens. Harbingers of doom and gloom and bad things to come.

[Her mouth twists to the side as she thinks.]

Just a minute.

[Crafty opens a drawer behind the counter and brings out a dictionary. Clears her throat.]

Omen: a sign that warns of future events by way of visionary creatures or hallucinations.

[She closes the book with a thump.]

That really wasn't necessary, you know.

Why are they happening *here*?

Apparently these sorts of portents are commonly linked with malign places and disaster sites. They're caused by leakage through wounds between our world and the astral plane.

Okay, great. That means we can seal them, right?

I'm not sure we can. At least, I haven't found anything about that in my mother's texts yet.

[She lays a hand flat on the countertop and leans forward.]

We don't want to dive into this haphazardly, Taz. Remember, these omens can be dangerous.

Sounds like the best outcome would be for us to interpret a dream *correctly.*

Using that term loosely, yes. But there's no real "correct" way to interpret a dream, and it's difficult to separate the nonsense from the substance.

Sometimes a challenge in the real world too, we still haven't really managed to figure out that distinction with Gobbet's bizarre tales for instance.

And can *you* interpret the dreams?

[Crafty plunks the notepad on top of a nearby book tower.]

I can't help you interpret your dreams. Whatever they're trying to impart, it's beyond me. All I can do is keep reading. There has to be *something* in this library that can help us understand what's happening.

We'll get to the bottom of this. You'll see.

One can only hope.

Perusing Crafty's wares next, we're clearly in the "shops have new stuff" phase again. Even ignoring the numerous upgrades to spells we've already seen which are not included here, mages have again gotten a heap of new choices to spend their limited funds on, primarily including various fresh flavors of balls. We can also see a couple of the new Spell Focus versions of spells, Fireball having a larger radius but lower damage, and Strip Armor having a nifty AP-refunding effect in addition to not having a set duration, both having higher skill requirements than the normal versions.

This is literally the extent of the spell focus "system" if it can be called that though, as only Fireball and Strip Armor have these alternate versions, and Life Siphon (which was available the last time already) only has a focused version. More of these alternate spins on spells would've been fun to see.

As usual shamans have a smaller selection of new spells to sling around, but there are some pretty interesting new additions in there. Could use some of that blurring action ourselves out there, it's hard sometimes having such a well-defined bod when you're putting fools to the blade in the front lines.

Added a couple of new fetishes to their repertoire as well, the perverts. The Imbued Hermetic Fetish is great for mages, but in this economy greatness comes at a cost, especially after all those magic balls would've drained the nuyen from your account already. Reminder that we got paid 1900 nuyen for that museum run earlier, and we nailed that one too, so just this trinket alone is worth about 1.3 looted museums.

Lastly, a couple new outfits. We could really use an upgrade sooner or later much like our team did, but not sure yet if these are our style. Going to try them on in the Extra section as usual, though. Oh, and since we haven't spent Karma in a while...

We've accumulated 21 Karma and spend 17 of it, starting with increases in Willpower (3 -> 4) and Qi Casting (1 -> 4) which finally sets us on the path towards being an actual Physical Adept rather than just a particularly cool and badass melee basher. The Qi Casting increase unlocks an additional spell slot, the ability to see Dragon Lines even in the fog of war, and access to the Mana Fist, Stride and Quick Strike spells. The first one we already saw in Spider Shen's selection last time, the latter two we'll look at in more detail on our next visit. Oh, and we "should" unlock Magic Resistance as well, but as mentioned in the past it doesn't work for the player and was removed altogether in the fix mod we're using.

Furthermore a Charisma increase (3 -> 4) gives us our second Etiquette unlock, and we'll opt for Shadowrunner. Hey, maybe there was something to Gobbet's lessons after all!

Taking our improved self back outside, Gin, Shyu and Lau are gathered around the Go board as usual. Seriously, wouldn't it be more comfortable doing this somewhere away from the rain? Does a soaked board make it more hardcore or something?

Hmm, perhaps not *there*.

[He strokes his short beard thoughtfully.]

Friends.

[Lau interrupts the players.]

We have a visitor.

Sorry to interrupt. I was just wondering if you're all still having the dreams.

Took a bit of convincing from the younger-looking guy, Lau, to have them talk about theirs last time. Alleyways, the Walled City, past guilts, Shyu even thought he might've seen us in there which was a little creepy, considering it was the first time we'd met. Probably?

*This* again? Don't you have anything better to do?

Yes, we're all still having the dreams.

[Lau's voice is calm, but troubled.]

However...

They've gotten a hell of a lot worse.

[Gin shifts uncomfortably.]

Look, let's not go into detail.

Anything would be great.

[He mulls this over.]

Alright. But afterward, you have to let us finish our game.

Sure.

Not all that healthy, if you ask me. Especially for men of our age! We come out of them in a daze, sometimes. Feels like we've been punched in the senses. And the imagery...

[You can see him shiver as he thinks about it.]

Well, I said no details. So no details. That about sum it up, Shyu? Master Lau?

I have nothing more to add. Shyu?

[Shyu's eyes bore into you.]

No. Nothing.

What, something in our hair? Ah crap, did we not get all the mummy goo out after the last run, swear that stuff's like glue...

You seem upset. Is something wrong?

What's wrong with you, Shyu? You'd better not be having a stroke - we're in the middle of a game!

Great, now it's even more vaguely ominous than last time.

Excuse us, Taz. Our friend is tired.

[Lau clasps a hand on Shyu's shoulder, who doesn't seem to notice.]

These dreams have taken a toll on all of us. Please come back some other time.

Sorry, didn't mean to upset anyone. Enjoy your game.

Maybe it's better if we stop visiting those three for a while, just seems to end up being a net negative for everyone's mental state. We'll stop by Reliable Matthew's next, on our last visit we learned that he has his own share of haters as a peddler of "job stealing" drones, a topic the man himself seemed unexpectedly serious about. We also spied what seemed like a whole bunch of plushie companion drones in his trailer, but we're not here to judge anyone on what they do on their private time.

Doesn't sound like anyone's having a particularly "beautiful" day here.

[Reliable Matthew stutters a response.]

H-hey, Keung Ha... Come on, beautiful. I've got a half-dozen hot leads coming in just today...

Don't give me your cheap hustler shtick, loser. If you don't push tin, you and your fuzzy little pals are gonna be living in a cardboard box.

Don't worry, beauti--

I want to hear, "Yes, SIR." If I hear anything else, I'm gonna pull your eyes down to your rear end so you can watch me kick the crap out of you! You *hear* me!?

Yes, sir.

[Matthew's voice is barely a whisper.]

WHAT was that?

[He says it louder.]

Yes, sir.

That's better. Now don't screw this up - you damned screw-up!

Taz! I hardly saw you there. Come on in, don't be a stranger, beautiful!

Heya. Who were you talking to through the hover drone?

Seemed kinda intense, in some circles you gotta pay some real nuyen to get whipped that hard in public.

One of my suppliers... Keung Ha. Really good businessman, sharp guy... sees opportunity where most of us only see broken parts. Funny guy... makes me laugh my rear end off!

Keung Ha sounded unhappy.

Oh, that's just Keung Ha... he's like a paper tiger!

[Matthew sways back and forth on his feet, languid and jittery at the same time.]

He's a big joker, always shouting, but I think he's a real softy at heart. Real big heart for the little people. Keeps me well stocked.

(Alternatively...)

quote:

Keung Ha's a funny guy, you say? Yeah, I was laughing my rear end off over here.

[Matthew gives you a long, awkward smile. The seconds stretch out. He blinks uncomfortably. When he speaks, his words sound stilted - like he's repeating a mantra.]

He's a funny guy.

And what's your business arrangement with this Keung Ha?

I sell on commission. Got to keep these bots moving... they don't earn their keep, sitting out in the barge.

So you don't own most of these drones?

[Matthew's brows arch up in surprise.]

Of course not... how could I afford them? I'm so lucky to have a guy like Keung Ha as a partner... only problem is he's got me laughing in stitches so much, it sometimes distracts me from sales!

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

Anything for you, beautiful. You know what I love about Keung Ha? Talking with him is so invigorating! I feel like I could take on the world, right now!

Better we leave Matthew alone to bask in his "luck", but a quick peek at his selection first does show a few new drone models. Ah, Steel Lynx and Sundowner, the ol' A-classers whose original versions back in the day had the misfortune to appear on sale simultaneously with the S class Guardian and Wolfhound, skipped but never forgotten (that's a lie by the way, but let's not hurt their feelings).

Two new outfits too, like at Crafty's. Same deal, same stats, different looks. Remember when we used to get stat bonuses on outfits, life used to be so easy.

Kindly Cheng doesn't seem to have any business with us today, so there's no reason to stick our nose into the mahjong hornet's nest either. Instead we visit Maximum Law's next, mainly because he offered to pay us for any interesting metadata, and we do have some "insider" info that's probably harmless enough. Frankly we'd rather not entrust this windbag even with our grocery list, but we can use all the money we can get, so...

Yo, Taz! Welcome back to the Palace. You got anything interesting to tell me today?

[He looks at the heap of wearable computers, PDAs, and chipdecks on his nearby workbench.]

'Cause I got nothing but fixing hair curlers and debugging old ladies' PDAs. I swear I'm gonna die of boredom.

I've got some metadata for you.

Yo, tell me what you've got! The network *runs* on information.

The recent heist at the Emperor's Tomb Museum - the one under construction - had a specific target: books.

Really?

Indeed. They were some sort of ancient texts, probably sorcerous - and Awakened monsters had invaded the tomb.

Hmmm, let's see what I've got for you... Grab a program. Here's my surplus stack.

[Law grabs a nearby bin and slams it down in front of you.]

Check this poo poo out!

For once the guy's not exaggerating, these are pretty poo poo. And not really our thing anyway.

I don't need any programs. Have you got some nuyen?

I'll bill this as a data expense. Whampoa recognizes the intrinsic value of information. Information *is* money. BOOM!

Eh, sure, we'll take it. Also, two of the programs he offered only cost ¥100 in his own shop and the other two this same ¥200, so law-jaw here pretty much tried to scam us with those offerings.

The only new thing worth of note in said shop, aside from some program updates and the same two outfits we saw earlier at Matthew's, are a couple of higher tier cyberdecks. Nothing we need, or Is0bel needs, but the Slimcase-10 is at least a new acquiantance. Super expensive one too.

As is this lady standing around nearby who seems like she has something to say to us, and not necessarily something polite.

[She fires off a rapid-fire reproach in a thick Filipino accent.]

Why are you staring like that? Didn't anybody teach you manners?

[She plants her fists on her leather-clad hips and juts her chin out at you.]

Somebody did, actually. In fact you'd be surprised how many lessons in manners we ourselves have had to hand out to people who, say, suddenly accost others on a public dock for no reason.

Back down, lady. You don't know who you're talking to.

Yes I do. A mouthy stranger.

[She crosses her arms, widens her stance, and glares.]

This is my neighborhood. I've got the right to check out any newcomers.

For someone so concerned with manners, you're awfully rude.

[The ork purses her lips.]

I guess I came on a little strong. Sorry. There are so many new faces around that I get defensive.

Defensive is right. And you're not from Hong Kong yourself, judging by your accent.

[The ork raises her eyebrows at you and snorts.]

I've been here a lot longer than you. Anyway, if you haven't noticed, this is a city of immigrants. Hong Kong belongs to us as much as to anyone else. It's my home.

So you've adopted this place. I get it. What is it that you do, anyway?

Really, nanny services? Wait, before that...

What is lumpia, exactly?

Filipino spring rolls. Crispy and delicious and full of pork... or whatever pork-flavored substitute is on sale. It's important to be frugal.

It has suddenly become very important to me that you like me.

[A corner of her mouth twitches upward. She gives you a sidelong glance.]

Then you must earn it. Everybody wants to be my friend because everybody wants lumpia. Only a handful deserve it.

(Alternatively...)

quote:

Ugh, I'll pass. Fried things give me heartburn.

[Her nose wrinkles, and she crosses herself.]

Then you are cursed.

You said that you're a nanny?

[She nods enthusiastically.]

Look around you - see these shadowrunners and dealers of contraband and Johnsons? There's a fair number who have kids, though they wouldn't shout it from the rooftops. It's usually too dangerous to keep family close. That's where I come in.

Shadownannies are a great idea! No more bringing my baby into combat situations!

[The ork raises her chin proudly.]

I've shuttled kids in and out of war zones. I've gone into hiding with little ones for months on end while their parents had to lie low. I've taught children good manners, hygiene, and the proper use of firearms for over twenty years.

You teach kids to use weapons?

I show 'em how to use weapons *safely.* What's dangerous is not explaining their world to them - the shadows, that is. These kids have to grow up fast. Weapons training is appropriate when you're living *in a smugglers' den.*

Well, who are we to argue with a veteran punch nanny. Plus then you have to smuggle in extra guns for the kids too, good for business all around.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm really glad that *someone* finally gets it. The gut reaction for most people is to deny the danger. The rest seem to think that children are too immature to step up to the challenge. Me, I trust my kids. I don't underestimate them, and they never let me down.

So how did you go from babysitting to running the shadows?

[Her cheeks flush.]

Well, I used to take care of the children of a Wuxing bigwig, up in the Peak. Turned out she was siphoning corporate funds to support both a gambling addiction and an extravagant lifestyle.

She got sloppy, and I stumbled across some pretty damning documents as I was tidying the house. I couldn't unsee them, much as I wished it, and I started to fear for my life. She was growing desperate, erratic. So I ran.

What's happened in the Philippines that you can't go back?

The Japanese Imperial State happened. Supposedly, they've been in charge there for decades. I was just a little girl when they sent their Imperial Marines in. They destroyed my old neighborhood. I don't remember the events, but I still dream of fire to this day.

How'd you get out?

Half my family fled to the mountains. The other half left the country and eventually scattered all over the globe. I didn't grow up close to anyone but my parents, who are now gone.

What's the political situation like?

The Japanese ran up against resistance from forces that came to be known as the Huk. Nationalists. Neo-anarchists. But the resistance ultimately gets its backing from a dragon, Masaru. While the struggle continues, the country can't heal.

Could you smuggle yourself in and find your remaining family?

No, I couldn't just waltz in and start looking. Besides, my relatives could be barricaded in caves avoiding JIS forces, for all I know. And I don't *know* the Philippines. I barely remember it. It's always been a poor country. After decades of struggle, is it really a better option than Heoi?

Well, Heoi isn't so bad. At least the people are interesting.

[The ork smiles.]

I agree. Perhaps you may deserve lumpia after all. No promises, though.

Great, let's keep this conversation going a bit longer then, get to know each other better.

How'd you get your cyberware?

There's always been a large community of Filipinos in the shadows. I reached out, and they all pitched in to set me up as a shadowrunner. Now, whenever I land a good gig, I give most of my earnings away. Giving back to the community.

I don't get why you give away your hard-earned money. Surely your debt's paid.

It's not like paying a debt. Yes, there's always someone asking for a handout - yet, one day it might be *me* in need again. Who knows when my luck will turn. But I know my community will have my back.

I could sure use a handout. Can I score some fried lumpia?

What, after all this great bonding too? Whatever, if we're going to be lumpia-less anyway then we might as well be so somewhere more interesting.

I should go.

Be on your way, then.

Couple more stops and then it's about time we picked up our next job. But that'll be for next time.

Trying on the new outfits from the shops:

There is a less diplomatic approach at getting the Go players to share their dreams in the dialogue tree, though it doesn't seem directly accessible in-game:

I'm not leaving until you tell me what you saw.

I don't make deals with terrorists! You best plunk your butt down, because it's that sort of attitude that'll get you a heaping spoonful of nothing from your seniors.

[He harrumphs, and that's that.]

You can't do that!

[Gin pinches his thumb and index finger together, and mimes zipping his mouth shut. Apparently, he can.]

Are you hearing this guy, Lau?

[Lau raises both his hands.]

I'm in agreement with Gin. You've gone too far, Taz. I suggest you take a moment to collect yourself.

You fogies sure are sensitive. I was finished with this conversation anyway.

---

Some alternate dialogue from the same conversation:

Alright. But afterward, you have to let us finish our game.

Whatever.

[He points at you.]

I can see right through that ennui of yours, young lady. Trying to appear "cool" and "hip" - well, you don't need to play it up here. We're already unimpressed.

[Lau clears his throat.]

You were saying...

As I was *saying"...

[He gives Lau a sideways look.]

The deal is: I give you information, and you take yourself and that hipster charade of yours back to your friends.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 8, 2023

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Finally finding the important NPCs, eh? Lumpia lady is a great addition to the atmosphere of Heoi and gives people unfamiliar with the setting a little window into the Philippines as well. Also, nanny services.

drat, now I want some spring rolls/lumpia. Guess it’s good I’m going to a Cantonese restaurant tonight in Manhattan Chinatown with my aunt and her friends visiting from HK. Great timing for this update, I guess.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I have lived in Asia, had a Filipino nanny once, and I've never heard of Lumpia before. It does sound good. Cherry Pink may be my new favorite character in this game.

Thx for showing off the game, Kanfy. Keep up the good work.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lumpia is super tasty. Everyone should have lumpia in their lives at some point.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Poor Reliable Matthew. Life is hard out there for a salesman who's strapped a novacoked salesman personality over themselves just to get by.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

achtungnight posted:

I have lived in Asia, had a Filipino nanny once, and I've never heard of Lumpia before. It does sound good. Cherry Pink may be my new favorite character in this game.

Thx for showing off the game, Kanfy. Keep up the good work.

When I was in the Navy the ship I was on would occasionally do fundraisers to get money for fun activities. One of the most profitable was getting all the Filipino chiefs' wives to make lumpia and sell them for a buck for half a dozen. Best lunches I had that whole couple years.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
On the one hand, I miss that the various armors don't have stat bonuses.

On the other, it meant that my adept could go full mirror shades.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, the Corp Mage is a good look.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Fighting Trousers posted:

On the one hand, I miss that the various armors don't have stat bonuses.

On the other, it meant that my adept could go full mirror shades.

The adept armors were always reliably hideous. Better to let the player just wear what they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Divorcing character stats from character appearance is generally a good move.