Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

wizard2 posted:

yeah, I dont doubt it. the user experience of Scarlet/Violet is alllll over the place for sure.

Yea, clocked violet in at 22, Sword at 36? It's probably not happening but I'd like if the next game had routes and dungeons and trainers that are obstacles rather than collectibles again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Grundulum posted:

I recognize that this may not be the best thread for unbiased opinions, but anyway. When Scarlet/Violet came out, they were lambasted for being riddled with bugs and suffering from performance issues on the Switch. I can see that there have been three updates since last November. Does version 1.3 make the games more playable than they were at launch, or do the original issues still persist?

readdressing this: yeah, theres less of it now but theres still a good % of the same bullcrap from release. also, everybody seems to just take away something different from the experience so your mileage may, can and will vary. the next big patch, which will let you use your old bros from previous games, is coming in two weeks? soon? eventually? when it feels like? and the DLCs will wind down sometime in Q1 or Q2 of next year. maybe. still, theres a loooot of fun to be had if it clicks for you.

thats the best i got

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Hahaha I think I was at that time around the third gym or so. I play Pokemon games at a glacial pace.

Same. I don't think I play super slowly, but I just enjoy the game and am usually focused on completing more goals in the story before anything else. I don't really get too sidetracked with dex completion or anything until the postgame.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I tell myself every time I start that I'm not going to get all intense about catching one of everything, I can complete the dex later. And then I catch everything I see anyway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im playing legends arceus because even though i don't like it much i can't resist it when you get a mythical for playing it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't even know what a Quaker Oats can looks like. time to do some research

e:

personally Idon't see the resemblance but maybe yall remember an older version or something

indigi fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 30, 2023

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Yeah idgi either, I just assumed Quaker Oats had very different branding in the US or something

After a few months I have decided PLA is for me the better game than SV - but both are good, in quite different ways

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

vaguely rectangular with a light border around it is close enough at a glance, I guess

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
an older version of the can has a white halo/circle around the quaker dude

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Behold, the old Quaker Oats can:

Hmm, what happens when we shrink it down to avatar size and draw some green around it, and then squint at it:

Fine, let me squint for you:

Now I'm not saying that Big Oats has infiltrated our beloved thread in an attempt to get us to eat more wholesome oats while playing our cute monster capture game, but is it just a coincidence? Or are there cosmic forces at play far beyond our comprehension?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've been discovered. the Friends aren't going to be happy about this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Yea, clocked violet in at 22, Sword at 36? It's probably not happening but I'd like if the next game had routes and dungeons and trainers that are obstacles rather than collectibles again.

were you just beelining straight from badge to badge?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
it rules that you can have the iconography of a deranged religious sect just casually hanging out in the breakfast aisle

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizard2 posted:

it rules that you can have the iconography of a deranged religious sect just casually hanging out in the breakfast aisle

That is not a very nice way to talk about Quakers!

Unless you mean Tony the Tiger. I don't trust that guy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I do think, from both a gameplay and thematic perspective, segregating the three stories into their own tidy slots took away a bit from the feeling of a spiraling adventure where you're an unsuspecting agent of fate vs. the game's "eh do whatever whenever, nbd" vibe

the three stories and their characters are very very good - at worst second best in the franchise, imo - so it wasn't as detrimental (or even as noticeable) as it would have been with weaker plots. but at least for me there was never a feeling of getting swept along by a mounting wave of historical import that the other games have, where you set out to get the next badge and suddenly you're on top of a tower fighting a meteor with a dragon

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

indigi posted:

I do think, from both a gameplay and thematic perspective, segregating the three stories into their own tidy slots took away a bit from the feeling of a spiraling adventure where you're an unsuspecting agent of fate vs. the game's "eh do whatever whenever, nbd" vibe

the three stories and their characters are very very good - at worst second best in the franchise, imo - so it wasn't as detrimental (or even as noticeable) as it would have been with weaker plots. but at least for me there was never a feeling of getting swept along by a mounting wave of historical import that the other games have

Hmm I think you're right there, and the reason it didn't trouble me is that I just don't mind that, never was really into it. I'd much rather be doing things that feel sort of - proportionate to my character. Though I did enjoy Fixing The Sky in PLA, so in all honesty the truth might be that I'm just very easy to please when it comes to videogame stories. Like I thought the story in SwoShi was really bad but it didn't really ruin anything for me. I was just like 'lmao' and forgot about it. Wouldn't play through again though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they did so much right that any complaints I have about the story are marginal. I'd rather another story of this quality vs them trying to artificially recapture the cosmic import of gens 4 or 7. just let the people who wrote scavio do their thing again

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

HopperUK posted:

That is not a very nice way to talk about Quakers!

Unless you mean Tony the Tiger. I don't trust that guy.

apologies! I forgot thats its not Meltdown May yet in the US!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Avalerion posted:

I like the story and characters and the new monsters but the world is just extremely empty and bland. Ironically I think going open world ruined any sense of exploration and adventure the series has had.

the open world was a huge whiff

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I think they made a huge mistake with SV by having one giant continuous world map and not splitting it off into several big maps like Legends Arceus did. Having everything on one giant map makes me very conscious of how empty it feels, now that you can plainly see that the region is a giant expanse of low-detail ocean, fields, and mountains with some tiny rest stops scattered around and roads running through it. Paldea is supposedly a well-established region that's been settled by humans for over a millennia, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I could see the mountain town from the desert town and I thought that was cool.

Then you have the ex-snowboarding guy who's the gym leader of a ski stop or something?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah Paldea definitely could have used more cities/towns without gyms that had their own little quest lines to feel more complete. they could even incorporate some evolution mechanics into it, like you can evolve Finizen if you go to PokeAndorra and team up with the mayor to fuckin, idk, help clear the local mine's Zubat infestation

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i really liked the scarvio map even if i wish the towns were more involved. i would go bonkers for my dream game which is now a SuMo remake of Alola in this engine that doesn't run like rear end

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

in ten years the sumo remake will be a launch title for the Switch 2

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

indigi posted:

yeah Paldea definitely could have used more cities/towns without gyms that had their own little quest lines to feel more complete. they could even incorporate some evolution mechanics into it, like you can evolve Finizen if you go to PokeAndorra and team up with the mayor to fuckin, idk, help clear the local mine's Zubat infestation

I really loved getting one hub town with a lot of quests in Legends Arceus, some with progressing stories and changes to the town. I wasn't expecting a similar experience in SV, but I was struck by how weirdly empty and pointless its cities felt. I think its cities are one of the worst-affected parts of its short development cycle.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
idk maybe i havent gotten to the Good Part yet but PL:A feels far emptier than scarvio. im gonna go nuts if i see one more drifloon

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
drifloon are common across the starter map and the seaside map. they don't appear on the swamp, mountain or ice maps

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That poster is absolutely hanging up on someone's wall in Paldea; one who climbed up the Area Zero crater wall and saw one flying around

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i really liked the scarvio map even if i wish the towns were more involved. i would go bonkers for my dream game which is now a SuMo remake of Alola in this engine that doesn't run like rear end

this but B3W3 with more New Jersey and Long Island 😈

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

with more New Jersey and Long Island

the first time these words were ever combined in this order

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk maybe i havent gotten to the Good Part yet but PL:A feels far emptier than scarvio. im gonna go nuts if i see one more drifloon

It is emptier in terms of questing and NPCs and such but the real draw for PL:A was the pokemon and the non-battle capturing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the arceus maps are good and it's v chill

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looper posted:

were you just beelining straight from badge to badge?

And bases, and titans but pretty much yea? That's what I mean about there being nothing to the world beyond like "track down these 4 under leveled trainers per area to get a potion".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HopperUK posted:

It is emptier in terms of questing and NPCs and such but the real draw for PL:A was the pokemon and the non-battle capturing.

its weird because i am theoretically the #1 target for a pokedex/capturing-focused game but i want to capture all the pokemon, i dont want to capture the same pokemon 500 times

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its weird because i am theoretically the #1 target for a pokedex/capturing-focused game but i want to capture all the pokemon, i dont want to capture the same pokemon 500 times

I mean you don't have to do that stuff:) I haven't completed a single pokemon's dex I don't think

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

oddium posted:

the arceus maps are good and it's v chill

The Arceus maps from best to worst:

- Mountain (feels by far the most varied, fun terrain)
- Swamp (quite varied)
- Grassland (quite varied, if a little bit "basic" by design)
- Ice (a large area is just a big ice plain, which is dull)
- Seaside (a lot of it is taken up by big expanses of water which are a bit boring)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HopperUK posted:

I mean you don't have to do that stuff:) I haven't completed a single pokemon's dex I don't think

You have to at some point to raise your rank to advance things. And that's not even getting into the post game poo poo lol.

The game is a series of incredibly boring check marked lists. BUt hey you can catch pokemon by just running around and spamming the ball button so sufficient keys have been jingled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You have to at some point to raise your rank to advance things. And that's not even getting into the post game poo poo lol.

The game is a series of incredibly boring check marked lists. BUt hey you can catch pokemon by just running around and spamming the ball button so sufficient keys have been jingled.

I never did any grinding to push my rank up, it just happened naturally as I played. But if you want to feel superior because someone else had fun with a game, knock yourself out I guess.