Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

:butt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

that's no moon

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Azathoth posted:

that's no moon

its got cheeks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the death star is not a ufo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

space potato

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

well actually to the denizens of the planet alderan, who had no idea the empire had finished its super weapon, the death star would have been a literal "U F O" right up until the point of booming them

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

use force on

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
when your dead your opinions dont matter anymore

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

in a perfect world

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

If only

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

Tekne posted:

this video of the hangzhou airport bird has been resurfacing again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__9s5chdV7c

any more info on this?

thats a pretty scifi looking bird/long orb(lorb)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Plumps posted:

any more info on this?

thats a pretty scifi looking bird/long orb(lorb)

it came looking for first flush longjing, and was disappointed because it was September

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQc905FnUI

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Finally got around to watching Moment of Contact. It could have been cut together in a much better way but overall it was a great watch. I'm pretty much convinced this happened. Too many witnesses who tell very credible stories and have no incentive or relation to one another. I also listened to the interview the guy did on Joe Rogan, he talked almost the entire time and Rogan barely opened his mouth so it was much more listenable than most Rogan podcasts so I can recommend it for at least background listening. What an insane story.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

It's amazing how bearable someone can become if they just shut the gently caress up lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I wanted to share a musical soundscape that I love. The album is "Music for Psychedelic Therapy" by Jon Hopkins. I played this through headphones while laying down in the dark and it felt like I was dissolving into the music. Deep in the Glowing Heart is my favorite track. If you happen to have Apple Music or Amazon Music I recommend playing it there with Dolby Atmos on. After the Gateway tracks I tried a bunch of a binaural and spatial audio experiences and this is my favorite so far.

It's really lovely! I remember listening to Sit Around The Fire on a sunny september evening, looking out across the delta of the Exe. It felt quite profound. Also features thread favourite Ram Dass!

Jon Hopkins is really great in general. My first MDMA experience ever was soundtracked by his Late Night Tales mix. Singularity is one of my favourite albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sk0uDbM5lc

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

That was fun, hit all the Mars face lore. I hadn't known about nasa being such prolific copy pasters before.

this specific thing i really doubt is malicious. i do a lot of image stitching in my work and getting doubling around image borders is a really common artifact of automation. they're making mosaics with probably hundreds or thousands of individual images, that's bound to crop up occasionally

that said, i wanna know wtf is in cydonia thanks

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hooplah posted:

that said, i wanna know wtf is in cydonia thanks

they are storing grain in the pyramids there - I have RV'd this.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Finally got around to watching Moment of Contact. It could have been cut together in a much better way but overall it was a great watch. I'm pretty much convinced this happened. Too many witnesses who tell very credible stories and have no incentive or relation to one another. I also listened to the interview the guy did on Joe Rogan, he talked almost the entire time and Rogan barely opened his mouth so it was much more listenable than most Rogan podcasts so I can recommend it for at least background listening. What an insane story.

Just listened to this interview and drat. I want to watch the documentary now. Varginha has always been one of the best UFO stories, and getting Fox’s perspective is convincing. The way he got choked up towards the end there felt pretty organic to me, and not like he was playing it up for effect. He seems genuinely convinced this is The Case

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Long time lurker, first time poster but I am very pleased to see reports of silver orbs as it makes me feel less mental.

Would have been over 30 years ago but when I was in my teens, north-west England, middle of summer, clear skies, I saw a silver orb in the sky. Perfectly clear day, no clouds. It sat there, it didn't move. It occasionally vanished, but then reappeared a few seconds later. Like, it was just sat there, then it wasn't, then it was back again.

No idea what it was but seeing other reports of silver orbs makes me think I wasn't imagining it.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

poisonpill posted:

:tinylue: [UFOs] Somebody get me a barrel of water and a detainee

Lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

One of us, one of us!

Cool story, there is something just unworldly about those various orb videos.

The other night I was out walking the dog and I saw a bright star hovering in the air above the end of the block, alternating green, red, and white. It then zipped off to the south and down for a bit, then returned, then zipped off again. It was likely just a quadcopter drone but 1) no sound, 2) no constant right-left lighting as is mandated for commercial drones (with the white strobe also mandated), 3) night flying is highly restricted, and 4) I'm in a no fly zone--recreational drones are to

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think I’m gonna turn into a mars truther

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

One of us, one of us!

Cool story, there is something just unworldly about those various orb videos.

The other night I was out walking the dog and I saw a bright star hovering in the air above the end of the block, alternating green, red, and white. It then zipped off to the south and down for a bit, then returned, then zipped off again. It was likely just a quadcopter drone but 1) no sound, 2) no constant right-left lighting as is mandated for commercial drones (with the white strobe also mandated), 3) night flying is highly restricted, and 4) I'm in a no fly zone--recreational drones are to

This sounds really similar to what I saw in Brazil in 2015, but I’ve always dismissed it because we were 20 miles away from an airbase at the time.

Cool stuff.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

coconono posted:

all planets are flat and hollow

but earth, the first planet, is flatter and hollower than others

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hooplah posted:

Just listened to this interview and drat. I want to watch the documentary now. Varginha has always been one of the best UFO stories, and getting Fox’s perspective is convincing. The way he got choked up towards the end there felt pretty organic to me, and not like he was playing it up for effect. He seems genuinely convinced this is The Case

Yeah I've watched a lot of interviews with UFO people putting out a documentary and it's typically very promotional in nature but I was absolutely convinced that Fox had a life changing experience and truly believed in the case and genuinely wanted others to have the experience he had. I also agree that him getting choked up at the end was absolutely genuine and not put on for show at all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

We started out on mars and started to colonize earth. but we’re stupid and warlike so we nuked ourselves on mars then destroyed what little technological resources we brought over.

it could be a repeated cyclical thing. We could migrating between planets and suffering existential civilization failures for a lot longer.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Rudeboy Detective posted:

well actually to the denizens of the planet alderan, who had no idea the empire had finished its super weapon, the death star would have been a literal "U F O" right up until the point of booming them

It was actually an unidentified orbiting object

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
death orb

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shameless posted:

Long time lurker, first time poster but I am very pleased to see reports of silver orbs as it makes me feel less mental.

Would have been over 30 years ago but when I was in my teens, north-west England, middle of summer, clear skies, I saw a silver orb in the sky. Perfectly clear day, no clouds. It sat there, it didn't move. It occasionally vanished, but then reappeared a few seconds later. Like, it was just sat there, then it wasn't, then it was back again.

No idea what it was but seeing other reports of silver orbs makes me think I wasn't imagining it.

this is kind of terrifying

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Shameless posted:

:orb:

coconono posted:

It's a niche that's been far too neglected lately imo

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

coconono posted:

We started out on mars and started to colonize earth. but we’re stupid and warlike so we nuked ourselves on mars then destroyed what little technological resources we brought over.

it could be a repeated cyclical thing. We could migrating between planets and suffering existential civilization failures for a lot longer.

This is the thesis of Dr. John Brandenburg, who has analyzed radioactive isotope ratios on the martian surface to conclude that there were massive world-altering nuclear explosions in the distant past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjkv9XJga-w

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rickshaw posted:

This is the thesis of Dr. John Brandenburg, who has analyzed radioactive isotope ratios on the martian surface to conclude that there were massive world-altering nuclear explosions in the distant past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjkv9XJga-w

yeah I got into that because the WH youtube linked earlier. Its pretty neat stuff. I'm gonna waller around in the datahole and see how much water it really holds.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

coconono posted:

how would that jive with the fossil record of ancient hominids? i guess maybe we could have evolved separate and parallel to them. i don’t know, i’m out of my depth here.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Space Jam posted:

how would that jive with the fossil record of ancient hominids? i guess maybe we could have evolved separate and parallel to them. i don’t know, i’m out of my depth here.

"Inherit the Stars" is an old '70s SF novel (by Holocaust denier James P. Hogan) where aliens scooped up some hominids and took them to Planet X, where they evolved into modern humans. Then Planet X gets nuked in an alien war and explodes into the astronaut belt, and a handful of humans crash land back on Earth

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

coconono posted:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Really can’t adequately convey my disappointment that, by all accounts, aliens irl are the boring gray fetus men that pervade pop culture.

I want my aliens WEIRD!

I’m STEAMIN’ MAD!!

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

coconono posted:

yeah I got into that because the WH youtube linked earlier. Its pretty neat stuff. I'm gonna waller around in the datahole and see how much water it really holds.

i was trying to find one particular video of a presentation by Brandenburg. I remember watching it and going through the classic progression of "this guy seems to know his poo poo..... i wonder where the catch is....... oh now he's talking about his enemies and critics in academia and kind of laughing inappropriately at weird times.... i don't think this guy is all there"

it was such a perfect almost kubrikian slow reveal that actually you've been talking to a very put-together madman for the past half hour. you couldn't put a better sequence on film if you tried. can't find the video now. this guy is pretty great.

as for the science, i don't know enough nuclear stuff to comment, but it seems to hinge on "these isotope ratios can *only* be produced in nuclear explosions" which is always a tough argument to make. you've gotta both have very conclusive measurements of the isotope ratios and also exclude all other processes in the universe, and that always leaves open the chance that there could be some different process that could produce the materials.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
all the aliens died when the last intergalactic species went wide and exploited them all to death. We are a pioneer species planet living in the wake of what would happen if humans developed FTL, total galactic extinction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Really can’t adequately convey my disappointment that, by all accounts, aliens irl are the boring gray fetus men that pervade pop culture.

I want my aliens WEIRD!

I’m STEAMIN’ MAD!!

Statistically they are actually swarthy brown hairy dwarves, greys are a recent thing, but there's loads of morphologies to choose from including sexy Aryans, weird mantids, bigfoot, the list goes on

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

all the aliens died when the last intergalactic species went wide and exploited them all to death. We are a pioneer species planet living in the wake of what would happen if humans developed FTL, total galactic extinction

We're in a race to find the lostech and we don't even know it, we just need to find that buried hyperdrive core