Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Antonymous posted:

Yeah, to a degree. The actual content is so far down the line from the bank idk if it means anything besides the broad strokes of what's most profitable. I do think films a product that you pay for with your attention span and that has more competition. And I do think that audiences have lead the theaters to the product, super hero films aren't be forced on us by banks. Audiences have lead the way for studios endlessly making 3 hour toy commercials by being pay pigs

way to blame the victim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/doulbedoink/status/1652424591971680263?cxt=HHwWjoC86aray-4tAAAA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't get the reference and can't even tell whether the running guy is excited or upset

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

mawarannahr posted:

Jesus Christ Superman

i assume you meant this like "jesus christ superstar" but i read it like "jc denton"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffeSvk7yyw

josh04 has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Apr 30, 2023

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

I don't get the reference and can't even tell whether the running guy is excited or upset

good

you have passed the test

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Antonymous posted:

Yeah, to a degree. The actual content is so far down the line from the bank idk if it means anything besides the broad strokes of what's most profitable. I do think films a product that you pay for with your attention span and that has more competition. And I do think that audiences have lead the theaters to the product, super hero films aren't be forced on us by banks. Audiences have lead the way for studios endlessly making 3 hour toy commercials by being pay pigs

Yeah, I see your point, and audiences definitely haven't proven themselves very discerning over the last decade. But to me, it's like packing a town full of nothing but fast food places and then claiming that the townsfolk don't like to eat anything but Whoppers; sure, people in the town could make an effort and track down better restaurants elsewhere, but for the most part they're going to eat at the places that are easily accessible (and heavily marketed into the bargain). They're going to eat a ton of fast food, and over time they might even lose the taste for anything else, but their options were limited from the jump. People like going to the movies, and they're mostly going to watch what's made accessible to them, but that doesn't mean a lot of conscious choices haven't been made in determining what's accessible and what's not.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

do "the youth" even watch late night talk shows
I figured that's entirely the purview of the boomers

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

indigi posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1652349472544813056

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

indigi posted:

That's from Kung Fu Hustle

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

ymgve posted:

do full feature Red Son, you cowards

James Gunn's take on Red Son sounds like a terrible idea, the comic itself was already lib enough as it is.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Also that Puss in Boots movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

panic attacks are only cool when the character is piloting a huge rear end gundam and is faced with the prospect of having to directly kill another human being

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Going to the pictures to see a queercoded found family experience a realistic panic attack from the generational trauma they got under late capitalism

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Stairmaster posted:

panic attacks are only cool when the character is piloting a huge rear end gundam and is faced with the prospect of having to directly kill all of humanity

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

panic attacks are only cool when the character is piloting a huge rear end gundam and is faced with the prospect of having to directly kill another human being

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Also that Puss in Boots movie.

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1652504099986853889

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the looney tunes are too cool for panic attacks.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

YaketySass posted:

Going to the pictures to see a queercoded found family experience a realistic panic attack from the generational trauma they got under late capitalism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

YaketySass posted:

lol

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

going to say this is an attack on the working class by bourgeois hollywood by attempting to take something realistic (having a panic attack at the prospect of having to work at a job that makes you miserable or you go homeless) and tie it to ludicrous superheroics so that workers feel like they're overreacting if they feel that way about their day-to-day work

or alternatively its just nepo babies trying to pander to tumblr people, who knows

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

daffy definitely has some sort of manic depressive disorder, yosemite sam has issues with rage, elmer is on the spectrum, bugs is considered healthy ever since they took certain things out of the dsm

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

way to blame the victim

they were asking for it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Black Lighter posted:

But at the heart of it all is financialization - the banks decided that the only movies worth backing were kid's stuff and regurgitated nostalgia for adults who still wish they were kids, so that's all we get. Whenever studio execs or industry insiders wave their hand in the general direction of the public and proclaim that they're just obeying the tastes of the market, they're just trying to distract from the role they and their backers played in determining what the market even is. JP Morgan owns something like 9,000,000 shares of Disney, and whether the IP paste has a picture of Iron Man or Mario on the tube, it's going to taste exactly like JP Morgan wants it to.

Antonymous posted:

both of these things are true but i would say it is generally hollywood, facing declining rate of profit, seeking to put their capital where it yields the most profit. not banks.

as an example of an audience who proclaim to dislike it, goons can't stop going out and watching the latest star wars and super marvelhero movies and then complaining about it being bad before rushing out to do it again in a month when the next one comes out. and it's not like there aren't other movies to see instead. they're addicted pay pigs to the superhero slop and have no one to blame but themselves for that.

so clearly hollywood's strategy is working just fine and dandy, why change it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Whirling posted:

going to say this is an attack on the working class by bourgeois hollywood by attempting to take something realistic (having a panic attack at the prospect of having to work at a job that makes you miserable or you go homeless) and tie it to ludicrous superheroics so that workers feel like they're overreacting if they feel that way about their day-to-day work

or alternatively its just nepo babies trying to pander to tumblr people, who knows

It’s the latter; the only drama and conflict these people have ever experienced firsthand is their own brains being mean to them. Not to say psychology isn’t a reasonable topic for art, but having it be the focus of a superhero story, which focus on dynamic larger than life characters who battle big abstract forces and serve as inspirational and aspirational figures is perverse. It only begins to work if Miles’s anxiety is so tremendous he kills his family a la Hercules or something.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

He is right

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

porfiria posted:

It’s the latter; the only drama and conflict these people have ever experienced firsthand is their own brains being mean to them. Not to say psychology isn’t a reasonable topic for art, but having it be the focus of a superhero story, which focus on dynamic larger than life characters who battle big abstract forces and serve as inspirational and aspirational figures is perverse. It only begins to work if Miles’s anxiety is so tremendous he kills his family a la Hercules or something.

for a character whose based almost entirely on the psychosexual fear of cumming in your pants in highschool it's fine

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have scientifically determined the best weekend for movies since the creation of film

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/1996W27/?ref_=bo_wey_table_30

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Elmer Fudd, the Autistic Hunter

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have scientifically determined the best weekend for movies since the creation of film

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/1996W27/?ref_=bo_wey_table_30

goddamn i've seen everything here but Lone Star

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

OH WOW SO YOU MEAN HES GOTTA BE WRITTEN THE WAY HES ALWAYS BEEN WRITTEN????

BOLD loving INSIGHT RIGHT THERE

it is to the studio that let snyder do his poo poo

NotPerfect
Sep 29, 2021

Tankbuster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeSHPUNE7M

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I saw a comment in that superman chain saying "Jack Quaid" and that is absolutely the sorta casting James Gunn would go for, and he's only 31 so they can sign him forever to almost no money
they'd really have to get him on that Marvel-juice though

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

How dare you. There is absolutely nothing “funny” about Antonio Banderas playing a cartoon cat in a a Shrek spin-off movie having a panic attack. It is very serious and if the mental image of an Antonio Banderas voice acting a cat having a panic attack makes you chuckle even a little, there is something deeply wrong with you and you need to go to therapy BUCKO

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Xaris posted:

both of these things are true but i would say it is generally hollywood, facing declining rate of profit, seeking to put their capital where it yields the most profit. not banks.

as an example of an audience who proclaim to dislike it, goons can't stop going out and watching the latest star wars and super marvelhero movies and then complaining about it being bad before rushing out to do it again in a month when the next one comes out. and it's not like there aren't other movies to see instead. they're addicted pay pigs to the superhero slop and have no one to blame but themselves for that.

so clearly hollywood's strategy is working just fine and dandy, why change it

I mean, sure, it's Hollywood but I think only for a certain definition of 'Hollywood'. Disney's two largest shareholders are the Vanguard Group and BlackRock, which makes Vanguard Group and BlackRock Hollywood, though they're far enough in the background that most people wouldn't think of them as such. By the same token, a lot of the banks that control financing for movies are located in Hollywood and were set up for the express purpose of servicing studios and production companies - they're Hollywood, just not the public face of it. I agree that it's an oversimplification to just point the finger at banks, though - it's more financialization in general.

Also, one of the problems with Hollywood's strategy is that it's not working fine and dandy. Even before the pandemic, overall tickets sales had been on the decline for as long as they'd been going Oops All Blockbusters; worse, the top grossing pictures of the year have made up a bigger and bigger share of the overall revenue. Everything's gotten ludicrously top heavy because the studios are all but chasing people who want to watch something different away from the theaters, and even stuff like the MCU is starting to do worse because of audience fatigue. It's like everything else in America - it doesn't work and is leading everyone involved towards a painfully predictable collapse, but the people in charge of making the decisions are ideologically incapable of doing anything else.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

it is to the studio that let snyder do his poo poo

Not really. Even in those movies he was portrayed as a well meaning Boy Scout.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Black Lighter posted:

and even stuff like the MCU is starting to do worse because of audience fatigue. It's like everything else in America - it doesn't work and is leading everyone involved towards a painfully predictable collapse, but the people in charge of making the decisions are ideologically incapable of doing anything else.
starting to do worse, maybe\, but they're still selling $$$$$$$. more importantly, they're still making hella profit. as long as they aren't losing money, they're still the smartest financial choice de jour

black panther 2 just came out and grossed close to 1 billion loving dollars
th4r was 3/4 of a billion dollars
dr strange 2 grossed 1 billion
spider man multiverse made 2 billion dollars
even that stupid ant-man paul rudd movie made half a billion dollars

so arguably they all suck rear end as movies but that doesn't matter, it's a profit out the wazoo machine. i don't even think you could say they're doing worse actually

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i saw some videos about the cost of going to disney world for a day and i don't even think they really need to make money off their movies jfc

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mantis42 posted:

That's from Kung Fu Hustle

Gd that movie rules so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Xaris posted:

starting to do worse, maybe\, but they're still selling $$$$$$$. more importantly, they're still making hella profit. as long as they aren't losing money, they're still the smartest financial choice de jour

black panther 2 just came out and grossed close to 1 billion loving dollars
th4r was 3/4 of a billion dollars
dr strange 2 grossed 1 billion
spider man multiverse made 2 billion dollars
even that stupid ant-man paul rudd movie made half a billion dollars

so arguably they all suck rear end as movies but that doesn't matter, it's a profit out the wazoo machine. i don't even think you could say they're doing worse actually

Here's the thing, though: Some of those movies have absolutely not done well in the theaters. Like, look at Love and Thunder: Officially, it cost $250 million; it took in $343 million domestically and $417 overseas. And that sounds great for Disney until you factor in that the studios only take back half the domestic gross and (IIRC) about a third of international. So, in reality Disney only got $172 from the US and $137 from the rest of the world. So, $309 million for a total profit of $59 million. (Probably. I'm not Disney's accountant.)

Which, hey, that's $59 million I don't have, so good for them. But that's one of four or five movies that were supposed to keep the lights on for the whole studio last year, and $59 million doesn't help much in that department. Because they only make movies at ludicrous price points, they can't afford modest returns; anything short of a humongous boom is a bust, and that's part of why they - the biggest studio in Hollywood - are laying thousands of people off right now.