Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
how many teams have even won a cup in the post lockout era without a top 5 pick on the team?
i know detroit did it but that was absurd luck with datsyuk and zetterberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

Okay then. Two top-10 picks. Maybe a third if its 5-10.
The Kings drafted 2nd, 4th and 5th overall in a 3 year span before their Cup runs and before that had 3 consecutive 11th overall picks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Literally the only other way to build a team is to basically buy a cup with cap space, and people bitch about that too.

You can do neither and end up in the land of eternal mediocrity (e.g. Minnesota Wild with 1 pick at #9 in 11 years in Marco Rossi). Or constantly sell the farm and end up mediocre anyway too which aside from the Caps win is basically where Washington and now Pittsburgh have ended up in the last few years. I get it though, it's hard to know where to stop pushing and change recruitment process when you're deep in the hole pushing for the cup.

I don't have a lot of faith in the Kraken's drafting yet either. Jagger Firkus and Ryker Evans might turn out okay, but Shane Wright fell to #4 for a good reason at this point and he only played half a season this year again anyway. Might he get there in 3-4 more years, maybe? Matty Beniers was an easy pick after the year he had at Michigan.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Kings drafted 2nd, 4th and 5th overall in a 3 year span before their Cup runs and before that had 3 consecutive 11th overall picks.
And how many of those players were on their Cup teams?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Only teams that draft badly in the top 10 deserve to win cups: a thesis.

Koopa Kid posted:

Sammy was down there with them until last night, he definitely didn’t have a great overall series but he stepped up in a game that mattered and that’s more than Andersen or Campbell ever did

Blaming Andersen and Campbell for losing series where they put up .930ish and had goal support utterly collapse is nonsense and you know it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

And how many of those players were on their Cup teams?
Well to your 'question; earlier this is a worthless discussion if you don't count the guys you trade top 5 picks for. So Doughty, Kopitar and Richards

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

eXXon posted:

My team doesn't know how to draft and for that reason it's bullshit that other teams do know how to draft.

Lol I forgot why I don't like the kings and I'm pretty sure it's just how insufferable Mr Kite is

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Well to your 'question; earlier this is a worthless discussion if you don't count the guys you trade top 5 picks for. So Doughty, Kopitar and Richards

Luckily they aren't on the kings otherwise Mr kite would look really stupid

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Blaming Andersen and Campbell for losing series where they put up .930ish and had goal support utterly collapse is nonsense and you know it.

I wasn’t claiming that they were the reason the Leafs lost those series, just pointing out that it is the first time that the Leafs have had the better goalie performance in one of these games.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Well I said Doughty and Richards earlier when we were discussing top 10 picks.

Yes, Kopitar was a smart draft pick at 11. Kings took a chance on him and it paid off.

Anything else?

There's a big difference between:

sucking for a few year resulting in a few top-10 picks then surrounding them with trade acquisitions, FA agent signings, and deeper draft picks.

vs

sucking for a decade and having half your roster be top-10 picks

Most teams do the former; the Oilers have done the latter. I think it is fair to point that out.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 30, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Kite posted:

Yes, Kopitar was a smart draft pick at 11. Kings took a chance on him and it paid off.

Anything else?

There's a big difference between:

sucking for a few year resulting in a few top-10 picks then surrounding them with trade acquisitions, FA agent signings, and deeper draft picks.

vs

sucking for a decade and having half your roster be top-10 picks

Most teams do the former; the Oilers have done the latter. I think it is fair to point that out.

Jesus Christ your posts are making me stupid, everything looks good if you cherry pick your “facts,” so just shut the gently caress up.

Also, while we are at it gently caress the Kings too.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My team is infallible and every other team is dishonorable trash that deserves nothing.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Are the Kings allowed to win it next year if Byfield, Clarke and Turcotte are all on the roster?

Mr. Kite posted:

Anything else?
Caring about the 10th pick vs 11th is moronic, it's non playoff teams separated by 1 or 2 points in the standings picking the same caliber of player. Particularly in 2005, where the draft wasn't based off an actual season that took place. The point is the Kings were bad, they accumulated a bunch of assets from being bad and used those assets to build a Cup winning team, as have most Cup winners in recent history.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I'm not the first person to point out the Oilers draft situation. Why is it taboo all-of-a-sudden?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did they replay last night’s game and give it to the Kings instead?

gently caress out of here with those losers.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It's going to be funny when the Vezina winner gets benched for game 7.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

The point is the Kings were bad, they accumulated a bunch of assets from being bad and used those assets to build a Cup winning team, as have most Cup winners in recent history.
You are over-simplifying. The Kings were bad and got Doughty and Richards for it. The Oilers were bad and got RNH, Nurse, McDavid, Draisalt, Bouchard, Broberg.

Caring about the 10th pick vs 11th is moronic, it's non playoff teams separated by 1 or 2 points in the standings picking the same caliber of player.
You are right. There isn't much of a difference between 10 and 11. We could discuss just top 5 picks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
We normally reserve this calibre of argument for the off-season.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

grack posted:

We normally reserve this calibre of argument for the off-season.

Honestly SAS vs kite today has been a throwback to the forums glory days a decade ago, let him cook

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Mr. Kite posted:

You are over-simplifying. The Kings were bad and got Doughty and Richards for it. The Oilers were bad and got RNH, Nurse, McDavid, Draisalt, Bouchard, Broberg.

Don't forget Yakupov and Puljujarvi!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I heard the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup last night, congrats Leafs fans!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/michellemackey/status/1652738780229521408?t=TrY1QD7EhR3J4-BBhsQwxQ&s=19

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Aphrodite posted:

Did they replay last night’s game and give it to the Kings instead?

gently caress out of here with those losers.

Should the NHL have the Oilers and Kings redo their series in case it was a big fluke?

If the Kings lose again I will face the Oilers deserved to win, but I am just 100% sure it was a fluke and does a big disservice to the Kings and the NHL.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:allears:

This city sometimes is hilarious

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

:allears:

This city sometimes is hilarious

of course there's a cop in the responses going "good now get the guy who stole the sign"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Should have slapped the sign and stolen the horse instead, IMO.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm surprised they didn't give him assaulting an officer or some poo poo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Misanthrope posted:

Should the NHL have the Oilers and Kings redo their series in case it was a big fluke?

If the Kings lose again I will face the Oilers deserved to win, but I am just 100% sure it was a fluke and does a big disservice to the Kings and the NHL.

Was that some meltdown over Chicago losing or something? I’m trying to remember the reference.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Was that some meltdown over Chicago losing or something? I’m trying to remember the reference.

I don't remember which of the two series it was, but definitely in reference to the two #5 vs #12 series in the bubble playoffs that were both won by the 12 seeds. The Blackhawks beat the #5 Oilers, and the Canadiens beat the #5 Penguins. It was very funny.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It was Chicago getting swept by Nashville as the #1 seed in 2017

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Let the horse drop the ceremonial puck

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/67lfcg/should_the_nhl_have_the_hawks_and_preds_redo/

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Dirty Burger posted:

Let the horse drop the ceremonial puck

the puck in question?

:itwaspoo:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's going to be funny when the Vezina winner gets benched for game 7.

And the Jack Adams winner took 2 games and 10 bad goals to do it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I can’t for the life of me find the tweet, but imagine I posted the tweet of Patrick Kane with his head down with the caption “that feeling when you are the only Predator not to advance to the second round.”

Edit: bonus! I found the Corey Perry picture from the conference finals !

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok that’s what I thought, those playoffs were awesome until the finals lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I'm genuinely shocked that the Bruins are going with Swayman tonight. I can't remember the last time I saw a team make that level of unconventional-but-correct decision.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I'm genuinely shocked that the Bruins are going with Swayman tonight. I can't remember the last time I saw a team make that level of unconventional-but-correct decision.

it's a real sway, man.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

clean ayers act posted:

how many teams have even won a cup in the post lockout era without a top 5 pick on the team?
i know detroit did it but that was absurd luck with datsyuk and zetterberg

One of my favorite weird NHL facts is that all cup winners since the 2001 Avs have had a top 3 draft pick on their team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1652730346763321344?t=W5f3-ofLRgOkne8ZvZhw4A&s=19

my god is that mackenzie blackwoods music