Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Im gonna :sicknasty: this page with a link straight to the big goon list for everyone to click on so you have a straight link to the most important collection of letterboxing names on the internet

Tell me if you need to be added!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Letterboxd has spurred a level of compulsion I never knew I had, I'm digging through old keepsake chests for movie stubs just to properly log stuff. I'm remembering I had garbage loving taste in the 2000's.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The 2000s had garbage taste

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

MacheteZombie posted:

The 2000s had garbage taste

:hmmyes:

The few years after 9/11 were probably the worst ever period for American films

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Not just films. Music, fashion, all american culture sucked poo poo til at least somewhere in the 07-09 ballpark

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Imagine, there are goons who barely were around in the 2000s!
I was a kid, too and I definitely had terrible loving taste. And still have! Good thing to keep stuff from your earliest childhood.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Realized that all my ratings were bunching up between 3 and 4, with the most being 3.5, when 3s could be 2s and 3.5s could be threes. Contemplating re-rating my entire review catalog

Sorry about this, it’s another sleepless night

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Realized that all my ratings were bunching up between 3 and 4, with the most being 3.5, when 3s could be 2s and 3.5s could be threes. Contemplating re-rating my entire review catalog

by definition most movies are average

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

3.5-4 is a pretty normal average rating, that's where mine is too. When I pick a movie to watch it's because it's something I'm interested in and I'm more likely to enjoy it than if I were watching just anything at random.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it doesn’t seem bad to mostly enjoy the movies you like. Maybe if you’re getting a lot of 3s you want to be more selective to find better films. Or maybe you want to expand your comfort zone to spread the selections around more. But like you ending up right around the middle on most do the films you select to watch just means you’re watching movies you more or less enjoy with slight variations in how much. Which seems healthy than having extreme reactions to everything.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Time is limited, we are going to watch movies that interest us mostly.

That being said I did a conjuring universe marathon last year before I was on Letterboxd, but I don’t really want to go back and watch those for logging now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey the account in the big list isn't me anymore, I changed my account to be under my IRL name. I'm not going to post it for privacy reasons and that appears to be an entirely different person also using the handle Mantis.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah it doesn’t seem bad to mostly enjoy the movies you like. Maybe if you’re getting a lot of 3s you want to be more selective to find better films.

As a counter, 5s often need more concentration and investment. Sometimes after work, a solid 3 is the right call.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

zer0spunk posted:

It's the only review site where I'll watch a thing, come up with my own 1-5 rating and then see how it stacks up to the average. Usually, it's pretty close, but there's no way I care about the RT rating or whatever the imdb score is in the same way.

Yeah I can't even remember the last time I looked at RT. IMDB is still good to very quickly look up trivia or whatever cast info but Letterboxd has been my only source for ratings for a while now.

I didn't realize there was a goon list or/and didn't follow people on it, this is me: https://letterboxd.com/chrisrasa/

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Your average should never be below 5 stars because you're not an idiot and therefore watch nothing but perfect excellent movies as nothing less deserves your attention :colbert:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Goatse and Gallant posted:

Your average should never be below 5 stars because you're not an idiot and therefore watch nothing but perfect excellent movies as nothing less deserves your attention :colbert:

I only give things heart or not-heart. Thumbs up or thumbs down. Waste of my time or not.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

The best movies are 1/2 Star rated shitfests that still get a like. Lovely, terrible, objectively bad movies that you just have to like and enjoy despite or because of how bad it is

Enjoy the bad things

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ah, I'm not a believer in 'so bad it's good'. Strict dichotomy, I enjoyed it or I didn't. I may have made a video about this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, my ratings reflect how much I enjoyed a movie, not how objectively good I thought it was. I've given plenty of absolute trash 4 or occasionally even 5 stars because I had a ton of fun watching them.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Good point! I can totally see that. How or in which situation would you use the Like button, if your rating already reflects how much you like something? Just as an extra or not at all or?

I guess the entire concept of this reflects on the threat title, I think about this a lot.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I put my scale in my profile bio for context (aka i'm tough on things)

quote:

5 stars: a must see, rewatchable
4+: fantastic, would recommend checking out
3+: good but just shy of great
2+: i don't regret seeing this, but just barely
1+: garbage
.5: i want my time back

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

How or in which situation would you use the Like button, if your rating already reflects how much you like something? Just as an extra or not at all or?

I don't! Favoriting and Like are useless to me. If I dig a movie I'll give it a good rating. My ratings are just for me and my reference.

I'll leave a review if I think a piece of trash is great for a particular type of person to let them know what's up, though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't have a strict standard for my ratings and am constantly adjusting my ratings up and down by half a star for up to a week after watching them.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I only “like” for things I don’t give star ratings to - usually shorts, miniseries, etc.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I use 2.5 stars for “weird but good” or things I’m really mixed on. Everything below that is bad, everything above that is fine to great. I’d rather watch a 2.5 than a 3.5.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i don't rate with stars, it's either like or not like for me

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Stars are fun but no reason to take them too seriously. I assume I have at least a 1-1.5 star variance depending on my mood or timing when I watch something.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I make myself write at least something for every film I watch, so throwing a rating on it too made sense to me. It's all in service of my stoner memory, the reviews are for me when I forget I did in fact watch said thing

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Stars involve squashing various things together to make an overall rating. It's one reason why I try to write something for every film I watch: the reasons I gave four stars to Seijun Suzuki's Branded to Kill are very different to the reasons I gave four stars to Neil Breen's Double Down.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

pssh, that's nothing

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Not Letterboxd, but there's someone on RateYourMusic's film section with this ratings distribution:

Legitimately impressive imo. At one point they had exactly the same number in each

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For as many sorting and filtering controls as they give us, I can't believe that there's still no "at least 20 reviews" option I can select. I hate clicking into a film and seeing that it has no details attached and nobody has ever rated or reviewed it. Or that it played at one film festival 5 years ago and was never otherwise released. "Hide Unreleased Titles" feels like it should catch those, but I think it's just for future films.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

feedmyleg posted:

For as many sorting and filtering controls as they give us, I can't believe that there's still no "at least 20 reviews" option I can select. I hate clicking into a film and seeing that it has no details attached and nobody has ever rated or reviewed it. Or that it played at one film festival 5 years ago and was never otherwise released. "Hide Unreleased Titles" feels like it should catch those, but I think it's just for future films.

Yeah, something like that would definitely make the 'sort by highest rating feature' usable, instead of giving you a thousand movies with two five-star ratings from the director

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Agree that without a significance filter the ratings ones aren't very useful. Sort by popularity ends up being close enough for me.

My letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/space_goats/

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Added!

Edit:
I'm considering doing a clean up in the big goon list and, for now!, remove anyone who neither posts when asked (which would be this post??) after a solid waiting time, nor logged any movie this (and maybe additionally the past?) year, just so we make sure we have active goons on the list and keep it clean. There also, however, are good reasons to just leave it as it is and only remove those who might have gone 404 by now, after disabling or deleting an account. Obviously anyone requesting to be re-added ITT would get in immediately regardless at any time later. I don't know if we have anyone or any number of people who, for example, never log things or never use a (recent) date when doing so, in that case a clean up could be based on other things, too. So, some questions to ask!

So I'll ask the thread, what do you think? An idea to do in practise or is it me being too German on paperwork and databases?

After a quick look into the list, this would only affect a low number of goons, still, I'll let the thread tell me what might be a good idea or not!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 15, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Added!

Edit:
I'm considering doing a clean up in the big goon list and, for now!, remove anyone who neither posts when asked (which would be this post??) after a solid waiting time, nor logged any movie this (and maybe additionally the past?) year, just so we make sure we have active goons on the list and keep it clean. There also, however, are good reasons to just leave it as it is and only remove those who might have gone 404 by now, after disabling or deleting an account. Obviously anyone requesting to be re-added ITT would get in immediately regardless at any time later. I don't know if we have anyone or any number of people who, for example, never log things or never use a (recent) date when doing so, in that case a clean up could be based on other things, too. So, some questions to ask!

So I'll ask the thread, what do you think? An idea to do in practise or is it me being too German on paperwork and databases?

After a quick look into the list, this would only affect a low number of goons, still, I'll let the thread tell me what might be a good idea or not!

imo it doesn't really matter, I doubt anyone's going through the list and systematically adding everyone. I just clicked on a few random people and followed, and use it as a reference if someone posts an interesting take in CineD.

I have added a bunch of films to my watchlist though as a result of seeing people's fav'd or reviewed films from that list, so thanks for making it!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

distortion park posted:

I doubt anyone's going through the list and systematically adding everyone.
Yeah no that's true, no one would do that nerdy thing, it'd be insane! :2monocle:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yeah no that's true, no one would do that nerdy thing, it'd be insane! :2monocle:

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I started my account after doing a big ol' horror binge in 2020 because I wanted a place to just keep track of all the movies I was watching and since then I've really been using it to log horror movies basically exclusively. It's a fun website!

https://letterboxd.com/HardLuckErin for mine. I keep a few all-genre lists for first-time watches and all-time favorites, but ratings and reviews are horror-only because I truly do not feel like going back and diving into a rabbit hole out of which I know I will never escape. :colbert:

My hearts/likes are given out if a movie gives me that fluttering intangible feeling while watching it. There are plenty of well-made movies that get high ratings because I respect the craft, but a movie with a heart means I want to grab someone and tell them all about it, even if it's not particularly "good".