Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Lowen posted:

I poo poo on zero dudes*, I just said that I personally did not like the GPT generated texts, and why I don't like them.

Everyone stop being so weirdly argumentative about this, seriously.
Stop telling me who I am and what I believe, that's my job.
Say who you are and what you believe.

Who are you to jump into this conversation anyway?
Obviously someone who is not engaged and did not read my posts in any detail.
That's fine, but should I care what someone like that thinks about me?
Obviously not.

e: * forgot that one guy that I did poo poo on for being a weirdo and arguing with me about my own motives.

You were the one jumping on someone posting a thing they used to generate stories for their own games after two people asked them to elaborate. You showed up randomly to get mad about it or whatever. No one cares. Do whatever you want to in your own games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Reiterpallasch posted:

everyone in this room is being argumentive with me, the only reasonable person, and i won't take it anymore!!!

Two people have been unreasonable argumentative with me so far.

I haven't counted the number of reasonable people other than myself,
but it's more than the weirdos.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

This thread gets like four posts a week and somehow you managed to completely poo poo it up instantly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Perhaps to bring it back a bit: I played three games of endless legend and had fun but by the fourth I was just done, and it's because I can feel the sands slipping through the hourglass of my life every time I wait five seconds after hitting end turn

I really like the gameplay of 4xs but they're just so slow, which is perhaps the real reason I always come back to moo2

So, ignoring any other constraints, what are the best examples of the genre with the sole condition that turns advance nearly as fast as I can click the button

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Theotus posted:

You were the one jumping on someone posting a thing they used to generate stories for their own games after two people asked them to elaborate. You showed up randomly to get mad about it or whatever. No one cares. Do whatever you want to in your own games.

If you don't care enough to figure out what actually happened vs what some random weirdo said happened, then that's fine.

But don't expect me to care what you think in return.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Perhaps to bring it back a bit: I played three games of endless legend and had fun but by the fourth I was just done, and it's because I can feel the sands slipping through the hourglass of my life every time I wait five seconds after hitting end turn

I really like the gameplay of 4xs but they're just so slow, which is perhaps the real reason I always come back to moo2

So, ignoring any other constraints, what are the best examples of the genre with the sole condition that turns advance nearly as fast as I can click the button

I think you're looking at games like Ozymandias, Polytopia etc. Eventually games that are larger scale tend to get bogged down in micromanagement somewhere.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Theotus posted:

I think you're looking at games like Ozymandias, Polytopia etc. Eventually games that are larger scale tend to get bogged down in micromanagement somewhere.

I don't mind there being a lot of decisions per turn, so perhaps I phrased it wrong. What annoys me is the waiting for the computer to make decisions after I'm done making mine

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't mind there being a lot of decisions per turn, so perhaps I phrased it wrong. What annoys me is the waiting for the computer to make decisions after I'm done making mine

Oh yeah that's totally fair! I think maybe that is some of the appeal of Paradox games? Maybe Stellaris aside since I heard that one tends to get a little slow the more you do and the later the game goes. EU4 and CK2/3 at least tend to just roll. Someone had mentioned it earlier but there is a recent Three Moves Ahead podcast episode with Soren and Johan and they talk about the whole turn based vs real time thing as it applies to strategy games. Very cool talk.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
currently playing eu4 on the other monitor while I type this post lol

I should probably try to get into stellaris

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I should probably try to get into stellaris

I try it out every few years and the only conclusion I've reached is sci fi fans are nerds and I'm either too dumb or too smart to enjoy it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

victrix posted:

I try it out every few years and the only conclusion I've reached is sci fi fans are nerds and I'm either too dumb or too smart to enjoy it

:same:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cheetah7071 posted:

Not sure if you’ve already played it, but maybe try Distant World Universe or 2. Real time with pausing and several speed options. Both games together are probably my absolutely favorite 4Xs ever. They have a charm/aesthetic that reminds me of MoO 1/2 and there’s no waiting for turns.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Stellaris is an awful 4X that I've clocked 650 hours in, mostly on the back of modded multiplayer comp stomps, because it's pretty good about requiring the right amount of attention while still giving me lots of things to talk to friends about while we're playing.

Though I haven't played it for a while as a bunch of other games took it's place and none of the last 3 or 4 DLCs had compelling enough hooks to get the group to buy in.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

cheetah7071 posted:

If you haven't played Sword of the Stars then maybe give that a try. Be warned though!
You may hate the (basically mandatory, if you want to enjoy the game) real time tactical combat.
Ditto for the Age of Wonders series (but replace real time with turn based), although,
actually playing the tactical combat is a little less mandatory for having fun compared to SotS, since you can autoplay them and watch.

For real time 4x:
Stellaris is a boring snooze if you play unmodded single player.
I loved Distant Worlds.
I bounced right off Distant Worlds 2. I think it's in much rougher shape compared to 1.

e:
Distant Worlds is also special because you can put any aspect of your empire on autopilot, so if you're just mopping up you can have the computer do that for you and watch.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 30, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No more arguing over whether it's ok to use a chatbot to write stuff for your own personal goddamn game in your own fun time.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
This thread got me to relisten to old soundtracks and I'd like to apologize for talking poo poo about AoW1.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Lowen posted:

I loved Distant Worlds.
I bounced right off Distant Worlds 2. I think it's in much rougher shape compared to 1.

e:
Distant Worlds is also special because you can put any aspect of your empire on autopilot, so if you're just mopping up you can have the computer do that for you and watch.
I feel the exact same way, DW:U ruined other 4x games for me and the sequel (so far) is a pretty big letdown. I guess it's just one developer though so give it five years or so more lol.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
My favorite 4x of all time is Swords of the Stars, a game I had an unholy amount of love for and put an enormous number of hours into. Is there anything that works as a spiritual successor? I've tried the Endless Space games and they didn't retain interest since everything felt very shallow.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I feel like there is absolutely room at this point for someone to do a sots-a-like and they should

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

shimmy shimmy posted:

My favorite 4x of all time is Swords of the Stars, a game I had an unholy amount of love for and put an enormous number of hours into. Is there anything that works as a spiritual successor? I've tried the Endless Space games and they didn't retain interest since everything felt very shallow.

Good news, they made a sequel!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/42990/Sword_of_the_Stars_II_Enhanced_Edition/

:evilbuddy:

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
SoTS2 is proof that the developer had no idea what made SoTS1 good.

There haven't been any spiritual sequels that I'm aware of; apparently 3d star maps are unappealing to developers who would rather make everything a 2d space map with the same formula as land-based games.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Now I'm sad again. :(

Half-wit posted:

There haven't been any spiritual sequels that I'm aware of; apparently 3d star maps are unappealing to developers who would rather make everything a 2d space map with the same formula as land-based games.

The 3D star map was nice but I think I'd be okay with just something that combined the ship builder, interesting factions, and tactical combat where you get to see your neat Sci-Fi ships blow the poo poo out of each other. So, you know, just a small list of requirements.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Half-wit posted:

The funny thing is that they did know what made it good, they just decided not to make the next one good.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

shimmy shimmy posted:

Now I'm sad again. :(

The 3D star map was nice but I think I'd be okay with just something that combined the ship builder, interesting factions, and tactical combat where you get to see your neat Sci-Fi ships blow the poo poo out of each other. So, you know, just a small list of requirements.

Randomized tech tree was cool too. Also that there were several OP systems so even if you got locked out of one branch you could usually recover.

That each race had its own distinct method of travel which influenced how they played also helped a lot.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Hey all, I just wanted to apologize for my part in the flame war earlier.
I promise this will be my last post on the "using AI text gen in single player games" topic for some time
so if anyone has any (constructive, non flamey) replies to this
and for some weird reason they want to hear my opinion in particular,
then maybe try private messages.

I shouldn't have said "everyone should stop being so argumentative about this" -
By "everyone" I meant both sides of the flame war I was in.
So the 2 people that I thought were just flaming me, personally (out of the twenty(?) engaged with the topic on either side)
+ myself, who was very much in the flame war but didn't really want to be
+ any new joiners that might decide to jump into the flame war (on either side)
+ any existing non-argumentative posters that might decide to jump into the flame war (again, on either side).

In retrospect it's obvious anyone reading that would instead...
get the impression I was saying everyone was being argumentative except me,
and that they wouldn't feel any need for clarification from myself.
I didn't realize that at the time, so I was very confused by the callout until I went back and reread my posts.
Sorry about that.

In any case I should have just disengaged with the flame war.
In future posts I'll be more clear with my language and I'll take care not to start or be drawn into any more flame wars.

It should go without saying, everyone is free to enjoy or dislike what they want in single player games, nevermind what I or anyone else thinks.
I hope none of the people that posted chatGPT results, or those that said they liked them, thought that I was saying they were being unreasonable/argumentative, or that I was saying I didn't think they should like what they like. If I gave me that impression (other than to the few people flaming me directly) then it was by accident and I apologize.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Less Fat Luke posted:

I feel the exact same way, DW:U ruined other 4x games for me and the sequel (so far) is a pretty big letdown. I guess it's just one developer though so give it five years or so more lol.
As someone who spent like $180 on buying distant worlds and all it's sequels piecemeal as they came out this is about right.

Distant worlds universe was the GOTY edition for a reasonable price, but it took a long time of Stellaris pricing to get there.

Unfortunately they are still mostly working on performance and stamping out little bugs (until quite recently), but the latest beta runs the best yet for me and they come out with those like every 2 weeks.

Hopefully they can add some more polish and some grander Stellaris style events soon after their somewhat shakey first year out.

One more weekend and I'll have surpassed my Stellaris playtime, I'd stick to the betas or try the next stable that comes out.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Murgos posted:

Randomized tech tree was cool too. Also that there were several OP systems so even if you got locked out of one branch you could usually recover.

That each race had its own distinct method of travel which influenced how they played also helped a lot.

Stellaris used to have that, and then the developers decided they would rather have terrain.

In space.

So they kept the most boring one and then made an interesting 4x into yet another bad loving board game. Every 4x dev ultimately wants to make a board game. But it's the abstract, chaotic nature of 4x games that make them interesting in the first place.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stellaris is in an infinitely better shape right now than it has ever been, actually.
Practically everyone in the Stellaris thread will tell you the same.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jack Trades posted:

Stellaris is in an infinitely better shape right now than it has ever been, actually.

That's because everyone who disagreed stopped playing entirely. There's no reason to go to the thread.

So I am happy you have a game you like now, but I don't.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jack Trades posted:

Unsurprisingly, everyone still in the thread after several years likes the game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Stellaris doesn’t (and tbh I don’t think ever has) felt like a board game in the same way something like Civ does outside of maybe the early exploration phase. Especially now - there’s all sorts of weird chaotic stuff in the game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Stellaris used to have that, and then the developers decided they would rather have terrain.

In space.

I remember a LOT of player feedback agitating for that change tbh, something about defense being too hard without choke points and space being too similar (thus the whole "terrain in space" line).

I agree I'd have preferred to keep the other movement types and obviously the devs could have just said no but I also think the game's better now than it launched in a lot of other ways that have benefited from their receptiveness to feedback, so maybe Stellaris is just a game of contrasts?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Contrasts is fair.
There's two approaches:

You can't please everyone all the time, so you pick an audience and make them happy.

Or

You make the game that YOU want, and accept you'll have a smaller audience.

The first option almost always wins out because it makes more money, and we haven't made all the important poo poo free yet.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sometimes people choose to target a large audience because bringing joy to a lot of people (by creating something that they enjoy) is a good goal in itself.

Especially when there's more than one person involved in creating something and they aren't necessarily going to have the same preferences for every single decision.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I suppose bringing joy to as many people as possible is a fine aspiration.

I lack the capacity to express what is missing from your well meaning sentiment.

An innocuous, good natured post about something that matters as little as a type of video game shouldn't fill me with unspeakable sadness, but it does just the same.

I am not many. I am one.

Game design, like everything else, makes me feel lonely.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Veryslightlymad posted:

I suppose bringing joy to as many people as possible is a fine aspiration.

I lack the capacity to express what is missing from your well meaning sentiment.

An innocuous, good natured post about something that matters as little as a type of video game shouldn't fill me with unspeakable sadness, but it does just the same.

I am not many. I am one.

Game design, like everything else, makes me feel lonely.

Go eat something, might help

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think Stellaris traded one problem for another when they made the switch from multiple travel methods to lanes only, before lanes you could only actually hold a system if you owned a planet in it and that was stupid because the mechanic dictating that was a form of culture push and not, for example, plonking down a ten metres tall, sixty metres side concrete pad centered on a scuttled ship on the worn out nub of coral that once was an atoll. So they introduced the starbase to fix that, and fix it it did, but the switch to lanes made things a bit boring, I'll admit.

I think the error started elsewhere though, when they made systems like provinces, maybe they should have abstracted non interesting systems far more and just brought up systems of interest (including choke points, critical resources, populations and industrial centers, anomalies and megastructure sites and whatnot), gave starbases siege like characteristics, "The starbase was hurling hypergravel at us so we dumped out early and are finishing the journey with sub light drives.", and that gives you the time to act and react. Or perhaps even the ability to set fleets to a reactive area guard posture.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

LLSix posted:

Unsurprisingly, everyone still in the thread after several years likes the game.

Yeah, but as someone who does not like the game, the post-release changes (including starlanes-only travel) really have made the game better in my experience. It's just that the core problems with the game go beyond anything you could reasonably hope to be fixed after release.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think the reason multiple FTL options didn't work in Stellaris is because the game was too modular. In SotS your travel method was paired with a bunch of unique characteristics for your empire and that made it fresh and gave each race a unique playstyle. But in Stellaris you can customize literally everything so the FTL just becomes a best choice option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Stellaris is vastly better for the FTL change. Fighting wars before was just completely frustrating, there was literally no way to defend yourself or force an engagement. Now at least there's some pale semblance of strategy to the military part of the game.

Also, the next DLC is focusing on characters and internal politics, finally. It won't go as far as I like (I'd like Stellaris to be a combo of EU4 and CK3 in space) but it's theoretically a big step. We'll see in a week how big of one it actually is.