Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I wasn't aware we were sending electrically-powered tanks and the Secretary of Energy back in time to fight World War Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I mean, that really did happen, with the Allied armies running out of fuel on the drive to Paris which allowed the Germans to fall back to the Siegfried Line without issue.

So using EV tanks changes nothing I guess :shrug:

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

He's going to have to go seriously wormbama if he wants to fit any more faces in here.

Hitch should just save time and effort and replace each head he draws with a bale of straw.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

And over the course of 150 million years later, the planet's climate became so radically different that dinosaurs were unable to adjust, and went extinct.

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
:effort:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You gotta be on something to make watching hydroplane racing fun.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
:nms: Sinfest Sunday :nms: - In which the current storyline ends abruptly with a literal 'and then everybody clapped' moment. This is followed by a midweek of cryptofascist meanderings, before yet again clawing through the bottom of the barrel and into new depths. It seemingly ends with Pinkie getting her special Johnbiecide weapon, so I'm sure we'll get that resolved any day now.

And once again, there's no Pettyfest this week. There is this observaton from r/Sinfest, re: Tats' current audience:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is more nonsensical then it has ever been. And that bar is really high.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not that anyone's surprised, but yep, turns out we were supposed to be rooting for the actual demon from hell (who uses the corpses of sapient, suffering robot women in his exhibitions) and his evil murder robots when they killed* two young protestors. Just like we're also supposed to side with the two pretentious art snobs frequenting the gallery of a literal demon.
(*Okay, trapped in eternal stasis, a fate worse than death).
God drat it must be easy to be a conspiracy theorist when you can just draw your enemies saying "those conspiracies you have about us? They're true! We really are doing those things!!!", read it back to yourself, and take it as proof.
Surely they're all a bunch of pedophiles, he nods, before going back to drawing pole-dancing toddlers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This almost works as a climate change one.

Good job he clarified it's actually about Kulturbolschewismus.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Not that anyone's surprised, but yep, turns out we were supposed to be rooting for the actual demon from hell (who uses the corpses of sapient, suffering robot women in his exhibitions) and his evil murder robots when they killed* two young protestors. Just like we're also supposed to side with the two pretentious art snobs frequenting the gallery of a literal demon.
(*Okay, trapped in eternal stasis, a fate worse than death).

But he's also the bad guy because he employs queer demons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In conclusion, Hell is a land of contrasts.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArOQF4kadHA

Apparently a year-old reference to this satirical song that predictably caused a freakout among conservative references.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"The Tory lame duck hobbles towards local elections – Water pollution, quack! Cost of living crisis, Quack! Strikes, quack!"

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

“Blimey. I’ve been chosen to be bearer of the ceremonial Royal cosh to keep William and Harry apart.”

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

SimonChris posted:

Apparently a year-old reference to this satirical song that predictably caused a freakout among conservative references.

yes Ishida does seem like the sort of person to only watch the first minute of a video

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't Gen Z go for the Dems by a 40 plus margin in the midterm? I don't think it makes sense because it implies that Gen Z isn't going to vote for either of them.

A huge margin but like most young people very low turn out

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Same, but the climate

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

A huge margin but like most young people very low turn out

They turn out more at their age then the Millenials, Xers or Boomers did.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SimonChris posted:

Also the second panel is the one one of many English celebrity child predators, which means... I dunno.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Vib Rib posted:

Just like we're also supposed to side with the two pretentious art snobs frequenting the gallery of a literal demon.

The art snobs are blond-haired and blue-eyed, and the guy has a fashy haircut, so those are Ishida's signs that he expects you to agree with them.

e:

Xander77 posted:

Also the second panel is the one one of many English celebrity child predators, which means... I dunno.

Jimmy Savile was a Tory but since he's dead Ishida can just say HE'S PART OF THE LEFTY CONSPIRACY.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Savile backed Thatcher's NSPCC reforms and raised money for the Conservatives, who implemented Section 28, the direct equivalent of the Don't Say Gay bill.

But sure Tats, he's with the UN groomers who want to reform sex and relationship education to protect kids.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The best thing about this besides portraying Disney’s horrifyingly inhumane army of lawyers as goofy idiots is the fact it proves Disney’s point. You’re admitting this is all retaliation over Disney’s perceived politics, Payne, so if that’s true it means Disney is right to sue

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Less than a week for the same character to go from the badass protector of Western art and culture to "I love the screams of people being tortured"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Let's wash the taste of Tats out of our mouths with this cool kitty:

https://twitter.com/CatsOfYore/status/1652477875243880449?s=20

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Technowolf posted:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Technowolf posted:

From what I've heard these suffragettes = cats images were meant to mock the idea of feminism, which seems insane from a modern perspective because this cat clearly rules and is worthy of respect. Why associate something you hate with one of the world's most beloved and adorable animals and then write a poem about that animal being a badass?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

From what I've heard these suffragettes = cats images were meant to mock the idea of feminism, which seems insane from a modern perspective because this cat clearly rules and is worthy of respect. Why associate something you hate with one of the world's most beloved and adorable animals and then write a poem about that animal being a badass?

I have some unfortunate things to reveal to you about common attitudes of early 20th century people toward cats.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They didn't need to contract "police" at all

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
you weren't allowed to say pubic lice in the paper back then.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nenonen posted:

I have some unfortunate things to reveal to you about common attitudes of early 20th century people toward cats.

Which was all the more reason groups trying to subvert or change the status quo, like suffragettes, adopted the image. See also the IWW's black cat, whom I'm tellin' all y'all was called Sabotage:

The "sabo-tabby" (as he was nicknamed :kimchi:) didn't always have to look badass or scary to get the message across:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

In Norway we have a fun game called "knock the cat out of the bag". You decorate a bag with cat pictures, children hit it with sticks and candy comes out. Well, a few years ago I learned that putting candy in the bag is a relatively new tradition.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

:catstare::catstare::catstare:

quote:

Traditional events include slå katten af tønden ("hit the cat out of the barrel"), which is somewhat similar to using a piñata. It occurs following the church service of Shrove Sunday in parishes of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Denmark and, also, at non-religious celebrations in city squares etc.[4] This tradition is also celebrated in Scania (Skåne) in southern Sweden, a formerly Danish area. To play this game, a wooden barrel full of candy is strung up in a suitable location and then the game is on: the participants each get a go to strike the barrel with a club or stick. There are sometimes oranges too inside the barrel and it has the image of a cat painted on it. After the candy pours out, the game continues until the entire barrel has been smashed to pieces. The one who knocks down the bottom of the barrel (making all the candy spill out) becomes kattedronning ("queen of cats"); the one who knocks down the last piece of the barrel becomes kattekonge ("king of cats").[8] The same tradition is held in the Faroe Islands but the barrel is most commonly empty. The person to finally knock down the last piece of the barrel becomes kattakongur ("king of cats").

In Denmark and Scania, the barrel tradition has been practised for centuries, possibly introduced by Dutch immigrants to Copenhagen during the reign of Christian II of Denmark in the early 1500s. Historically, there was a real cat in the barrel, and beating the barrel and chasing the cat symbolised demolishing evil and chasing it away.[4] It was practised up until the 1800s, with the last known event occurring in the 1880s. The cat was not killed, but allowed to escape when the barrel was broken. The practise also used to be popular in Holland and similar events were known from Germany, called "Katzenschlagen".[9] The Danish tradition is still celebrated today, but candy is used instead of a cat.

:catstare::catstare::catstare:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

In Norway we have a fun game called "knock the cat out of the bag". You decorate a bag with cat pictures, children hit it with sticks and candy comes out. Well, a few years ago I learned that putting candy in the bag is a relatively new tradition.

The fun part was apparently chasing down the cat after it got out. It's a wooden barrel though unless you're below 5 years old though. I'm betting it's Danish in origin, at least more than Norwegian, since it's exceptionally cruel.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As a pretty hardcore cat lover, the last half a dozen posts have been quite the roller coaster.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

After The War posted:

Which was all the more reason groups trying to subvert or change the status quo, like suffragettes, adopted the image. See also the IWW's black cat, whom I'm tellin' all y'all was called Sabotage:

The "sabo-tabby" (as he was nicknamed :kimchi:) didn't always have to look badass or scary to get the message across:

:3: We should bring these images back into popular culture, they're still adorable and still relevant.

:catstare: indeed, at least they specifically say you aren't supposed to kill the cat.

An article on cats as anti-suffragette symbols (that often look like pro-suffragette cartoons to modern eyes because the internet helped Americans realize cats are just weird little guys and we should love them): https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2013/12/04/the-feminization-of-the-cat-in-anti-suffrage-propaganda/

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Yeah, the thing to remember about late nineteenth/early twentieth-century anti-sufferage cartoons is that nowadays they rank about a dozen Asays on the AGC scale. The authors want the reader to feel revulsion and horror at the thought of women going to bars, or riding bikes, or worst of all, leaving men to watch the kids while they go out for an evening!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Rowe's summary of a bunch of politics. Treasurer Jim Chalmers and Finance Minister Katy Gallagher preparing the budget. Albo attended highly controversial Sydney shock jock Kyle Sandilands wedding.

Downes:

Jeremy Rockliff, premier of Tasmania. Protesters shout at PM after funding boost to Hobart stadium press conference (ABC video).

Kudelka:

Herbert:

Golding:

Knight:

Broelman:

Leak, Son of Leak:

"King of the Cross" refers to a drug lord in Sydney's Kings Cross, a reference to Kyle Sandiland's best man. Who is Kyle Sandilands' best man Simon Main? Drug trafficking pimp who ferried sex workers in a limo dubbed the Booty Bentley is staunchly defended by radio king at his wedding with Tegan (Daily Mail).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Drew Sheneman

Adam Zyglis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ah, yes, that person everyone hates: Mr. Rogers

Kellies nomination: Most easily reinterpreted