Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1651308878838091778

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she is like that in the original golden age. then the silver age kinda hosed poo poo up and most of her stuff was falling in love with various people and it falling apart joke comics.

disney has done a weirdly good job with ALOT of their animated shows in the last 10 or so years, they tend to kill shows before their time but they at least let the creators end it how they want mostly. also most of them tend to be pretty progressive in cool ways.

Yeah the original Lois Lane was based on the heroic female journalists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, folks like Nellie Bly and such who put their safety and their very lives at risk for big exposés on corruption and so on.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember reading that while obviously, the Golden Age of Comics wasn't perfect, it was often shockingly better about things like that than the Silver Age that followed it later was, at times. Like, Silver Age Lois was obsessed with getting Superman to marry her and that was also the era of Wonder Woman being vaguely apologetic about rescuing male characters.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i love how this looks, it's so offbeat

e: lol of course the internet hates it. shut up

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 27, 2023

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Yf7L6miLc

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's been awhile since Steven Universe was current, but can anyone tell me if Connie's dad knowing about the dbz fusion dance was something that actually happened or was from a fan comic? Because I can hear it in my head, but am not finding any evidence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

id probably be mixed on it but the art style looks like something a friend of mine or zach hadel would draw so while probably not for me. good for them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Beachcomber posted:

It's been awhile since Steven Universe was current, but can anyone tell me if Connie's dad knowing about the dbz fusion dance was something that actually happened or was from a fan comic? Because I can hear it in my head, but am not finding any evidence.

Fan comic from my recollection

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What is Rebecca Sugar up to these days anyway? Her last credit was an uncredited songwriter/voice role for an episode of Amphibia

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
This reminds me of a few different styles, one of them being Flapjack. Considering that's one of my favorite toons of all time, I'm thrilled by this, despite the internet making its chemical imbalance everyone else's problem.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bruce looks like he's about to be voiced by Patrick Warburton.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
And Alfred looks like he's going to be voiced by a turkey.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The art style looks cute if it was for, say, a comic book or strip. But the facial features are not easy to read and the character models can't turn around easily, so for animation they're pretty bad. You want to be able to parse what you're seeing easily and quickly, especially because the will be moving around.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1652686442060021761

good to see mario can still pull numbers like this after all this time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Apparently the last animated movie to do that kind of number was Frozen 2.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
For reference it's currently number #11, just a little bit behind Zootopia.

Frozen 2 is #2 at $1,450,026,933, while Mario is $1,022,473,825.

The saddest one is the number 1 spot, which is the Lion King Remake, at $1,657,713,459.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait, the no. 1 movie is the Lion King REMAKE? :lmao:

edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_animated_films

the ice age films doing pretty impressive numbers too :monocle:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 30, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Okay it's a live-action movie I won't question it anymore I promise.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Big shoutout to OG Lion King too apparently. I never realized it had done so much better than all the other Disney renaissance movies.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 1, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Big shoutout to OG Lion King too apparently. I never realized it had done so much better than all the other Disney renaissance.movies.

Which makes it funny cause during production everyone at Disney thought it was going to do okay at best and thought Pocahontas was going to be the big winner

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Big shoutout to OG Lion King too apparently. I never realized it had done so much better than all the other Disney renaissance.movies.

the original LK was a monster, but yeah i'm surprised it was that far ahead of something like a Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. also what's even more surprising is that Tarzan did better the both of the latter :monocle:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One of the most impressive things to me about TLK is that the animation quality didn’t even really get that much of a downgrade for the two DTV sequels and the Lion Guard cartoon series

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Which makes it funny cause during production everyone at Disney thought it was going to do okay at best and thought Pocahontas was going to be the big winner
Katzenberg left Disney between the two movies and took half the talent with him to Dreamworks for things like Prince of Egypt and El Dorado

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neeksy posted:

Katzenberg left Disney between the two movies and took half the talent with him to Dreamworks for things like Prince of Egypt and El Dorado
I'm pretty sure it was Katzenberg who was walking down the halls talking poo poo abiut that dumb lion movie

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

IIRC Lion King was the last project he was producer on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FilthyImp posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Katzenberg who was walking down the halls talking poo poo abiut that dumb lion movie

Katzenberg had a tendency for this, he thought Oliver and Company would be a bigger hit than Little Mermaid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Katzenberg had a tendency for this, he thought Oliver and Company would be a bigger hit than Little Mermaid.

Katzenberg's only saving grace was that Eisner proved to be the bigger dipshit between them, historically speaking.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1652686442060021761

good to see mario can still pull numbers like this after all this time

video game movies have come a long way since pac man

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait, pocahantas did better than the little mermaid too? and it was considered a flop? and mulan did worse than pocahantas as well but wasn't?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBF I'm not as surprised about Little Mermaid in particular doing relatively small numbers, since it was the very first movie of the renaissance era and likely had an uphill battle to prove itself with audiences.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 1, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Katzenberg's only saving grace was that Eisner proved to be the bigger dipshit between them, historically speaking.
Prettymuch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also remember that with every year there's a much larger audience, more cinemas, more expensive tickets and more franchise and medium momentum. Of course a movie's making a fuckload more money when there's a fuckload more venues for people to pay to see it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nah Pocahontas did really well at the time it came out it's just that Lion King did even better and well if we're being blunt Pocahontas has probably aged the worst of any film in the Disney Animated Canon that was released in the 20th Century

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A Dreamworks Pocahontas would probably work well. Disney was really not the house to do that story-- adding in cute sidekicks to lessen the tension, a tree that gives the love interest magical understanding powers (justbdont look up what the settlers did to the natives I guess)... it was just kind of a mess. Pretty though.

nine-gear crow posted:

If you believe the stories, he was a good script doc and was secure enough to tey a crazy idea if it sounded good enough.

I think his time as a high ranking exec kind of led to those instincts withering though.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 1, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

In a better world Frank Wells wouldn't have died in a senseless helicopter accident and him, Eisner, and Katzenberg would have continued working in harmony

We also would have probably gotten "Westcot" instead of California Adventure and Disney's America would have probably been made as well(as Eisner has gone on record that between losing Frank and the heart attack he had in the mid 90's he just didn't have the will to focus on the parks like he had been doing up to that point on top of everything else he had to handle at Disney, especially after Katzenberg left)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The 90s had kinda gotten big into the idea of trying to depict native americans positively, but without feeling the need to do any research into things. So they just bounced from the old classic western depictions to more of the whole "noble savage" thing. And since then, I don't think pop culture interpretations of native americans has exactly improved, so much as just not bothering to depict them much at all.

Turning the story into a whole Romeo and Juliet thing wasn't a great idea, but it's easy to see why it happened. Especially since Lion King had done so well with Hamlet.

FilthyImp posted:

A Dreamworks Pocahontas would probably work well.

Only if you feel like it'd be improved by more farts. Dreamworks definitely wasn't known for its sensitivity.

How much responsibility Katzenberg had for Disney's successful movies and how much creative input (as opposed to just being able to manage creators) is up for debate, since there's a lot of subjective accounts. I do get the impression that while Eisner was a paranoid jerk, Katzenberg was also an rear end in a top hat. Some of Dreamworks's movies really reek of pettiness against Disney.

drrockso20 posted:

We also would have probably gotten "Westcot" instead of California Adventure and Disney's America would have probably been made as well(as Eisner has gone on record that between losing Frank and the heart attack he had in the mid 90's he just didn't have the will to focus on the parks like he had been doing up to that point on top of everything else he had to handle at Disney, especially after Katzenberg left)

The entire mess of Euro Disneyland also ruined a lot of Eisner's plans for the parks.

Might've done better if they put it in Spain instead of the country that is most hostile to a foreign culture asserting its international influence, but Eisner really loved France.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 1, 2023

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Totally Spies was never really of much interest to me, but I assume it had a decent audience even aside from the whole fetish stuff. There was some kind of sequel series I never heard much about.

I think horny french animators these days have more outlet for those feelings, so they'd feel less need to shoehorn it in, but there's some kind of base level horniness inherent to the spy genre.

It'd be more interesting to see a return of Italianime.

This is entirely based on hearsay, but apparently the French animation industry is a bizarrely juvenile affair, despite the fact that they also put out a lot of well respected 'serious' content. It's purportedly really common that like excessive and outright mean pranking, like 'walk away from your desk and forgot to log out and half your work poo poo is screwed up'.
It's not so much about having an outlet as it is there's a 'troll' fun in constantly trying to see how horny you can make a scene and still get it to air, regardless of what age rating the show is intended for.

Like, there was a kids' animated show from a few years ago called Bunny Maloney that aired on French TV on stations that were so young kid-oriented they had 'family' in the name, and it still made the sole female member of the main cast into some weird PG slut??? - doing stuff like pole dancing and being way too enthusiastic about trying to explain sex ed with visual aids.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Radar/BunnyMaloney

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it’s a spy show so a bit of bondage naturally comes with the territory but from what I’ve heard Totally Spies basically contains nearly every fetish you can think of.

Was the sequel series Amazing Spiez any less horny out of curiosity?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Larryb posted:

Was the sequel series Amazing Spiez any less horny out of curiosity?

I wanted to say "yes, of course, they had a younger cast" but I went to check episode summaries to be safe.

Turns out my hunch was right but the studio snuck in one or two along the way.

quote:

An experiment was stolen from a lab, and at the same time, children who are having 13th birthdays become mutated. The Spiez are sent to investigate and discover that a girl named Kat is behind it all. She was disappointed in her birthdays, so she wants to get revenge by turning other rich children into mutants during their birthdays, and therefore have the biggest party on the block.

In the B-story, Megan tries to act cool so she can be invited to Tami's birthday party so she can prove to her brothers how cool she is. Tami gets mutated, gaining wide hips and a massive butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Katzenberg used to have some decent instincts, such as being the guy to shield Who Framed Roger Rabbit from executive interference.