Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there any harm in freely leveling up any character I am interested in running with? Level up materials in Genshin were never scarce and I get the feeling it is the same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

opinion: Stelle is very cool

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Is there like a list of what resets every week? Sim universe, apparently some sort of boss refights. Anything else?

Also holy hell is google terrible now. All AI generated articles and youtube videos, yikes.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, I leveled my core team up to 50 and finally managed to limp through Simulated World 3 once in eight tries, trying both ice and damage builds. It's easy sailing up until Gepard's boss waves, but if I don't manage to kill off at least one (and preferably both) of his sidekicks before Shield For All kicks in, I'm dead -- and the sidekicks in Phase 3 are very meaty.

I'm at TB 32 and waiting for 34 for the next missions to kick in. Core team is Sushang / FireMC / Pela / Bailu all at 50, March, Serval, Dan Heng and Qingque at 40 but limit-broken and waiting for leveling materials, Hook, Natasha and Natasha languishing in at-least-I-tried-them 20s-land, and Herta and Arlan untouched.

Small World 3 spoiler/protip: Once you start running into flunkies that are "mara-touched," they will revive once when they are killed and keep fighting -- but Pela can remove that buff so that, once they hit zero once, he's no fun, he fell right over.

delfin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 30, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there any harm in freely leveling up any character I am interested in running with? Level up materials in Genshin were never scarce and I get the feeling it is the same here.

Up to 40 is pretty free, 40-50 starts taking up a lot of stamina, so you will want to slow down and focus on a smaller pool of people then.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

edit: Stelle with a sword is even cooler but i'll miss the baseball bat. rip

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Only harm I can think of is if you’re a max efficiency kind of gamer and having to grind calyxes for a few additional days will make you sad or something. Only resource I’d be kind of careful with is if there are weekly boss materials for leveling up traces, since those can be a real pain to get if you end up needing a bunch at once.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh and I think I softlocked this boss (end of ice planet) by using tools before the game forces you to. that sucks rear end.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do they explain why the train is a revolver?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm really torn between YOLO pull now because I'm probably about as interested in the game as I'm ever going to be and Seele owns on the one hand and on the other hand holy gently caress there are a ton of characters I'm going to want if I keep playing and grabbing the first one while the game is dumping resources on me left and right could make the lean times feel bad later. I'm leaning toward pulling to the 50/50 and saving the second pity for later, but I guess I have a while to decide still.

I was doing good at saving but then everyone talking about what they got with the free 10-pulls had me blow through those and my 6k currency. Nothing of note, a few Hook dupes.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Unlucky7 posted:

So far it seems like Trace materials you get from the 3x a week boss battles are the real bottleneck, and I’m getting way more xp items than I need to cap out my main 4

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Got a dupe of tiles girl, but don’t like her.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I got simulated world 3 down (although just barely) with level 40 fire MC, March, Dan and Nat. Went the shield path and got the thing that makes the path ult do 40% more damage, it was doing 7k+ damage which meant it could almost kill Gepard's adds

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Good Citizen posted:

So far it seems like Trace materials you get from the 3x a week boss battles are the real bottleneck, and I’m getting way more xp items than I need to cap out my main 4

Honestly the big bottleneck for me has been the class materials. The stuff like broken swords and keys and shields and such. You need so many of them for a multiple different things...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Honestly the big bottleneck for me has been the class materials. The stuff like broken swords and keys and shields and such. You need so many of them for a multiple different things...

Have you bought them from the shops yet? You can get 3x of each from the ship and 10x from ice world.

I’m stuck on Simulated World 3 as well waiting for more stamina. I wish I could just skip forward through all these fights though. I more or less just auto everything up to the boss and it’s only the boss that’s giving me issues.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

it is interesting how quickly bronya and seele went from mutual hatred to being girlfriends

kinda brings a tear to your eye

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Meowywitch posted:

it is interesting how quickly bronya and seele went from mutual hatred to being girlfriends

kinda brings a tear to your eye

It's not really mutual hatred, honestly. They start off pretty annoyed with each other almost entirely because Seele expects Bronya to be a stuck-up rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a poo poo about innocents, and Bronya almost immediately makes it emphatically clear that she is not a stuck-up rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a poo poo about innocents. It's more of a "whoa, I expected you to be a huge dick but actually you're pretty cool" scenario.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I started playing this game yesterday despite knowing nothing about Honkai and only playing Genshin for an hour

I have no loving clue what is going on with this story lore, and I haven’t gotten any good pulls yet (I did get some merchant dude, a woman with a literal electric guitar, and Natasha), but I’m having fun so far at least

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

installed this today and I'm having fun so far, haven't played any of the Honkai / Genshin games though so I'm a bit lost on the setting and all the talk about Aeons and Antimatter Legions... But I'm guessing I'm supposed to be given the amnesiac MC

I will probably just F2P this, but how likely am I to get enough Special Passes to get a 5* before the Seele banner runs out? My experience with most gacha games is that you can get a 5* every month or so but starting on launch might help?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh and i'm pretty sure Fire MC/Natasha/Gepard/Asta is a slow but invincible team?

maybe I'll drop Asta for Hook idk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

installed this today and I'm having fun so far, haven't played any of the Honkai / Genshin games though so I'm a bit lost on the setting and all the talk about Aeons and Antimatter Legions... But I'm guessing I'm supposed to be given the amnesiac MC

I will probably just F2P this, but how likely am I to get enough Special Passes to get a 5* before the Seele banner runs out? My experience with most gacha games is that you can get a 5* every month or so but starting on launch might help?

to be clear the aeons/antimatter legion stuff is unique to this game

and you should be able to get seele from the early game stuff/the launch giveaway stuff assuming you play regularly enough

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/nagiwww7/status/1652699957227560960

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seele has a questionable outfit choice

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Early on I was thinking there were too many infodumps about who the hell knows what, but it kind of settles down to a reasonable level once you're on the first planet

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Depends on if you're reading all the books tbh. Got lots of info in those things

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah there's always the books, but the rest kind of fades into a (good) background vibe of "there's a load of freaky space magic poo poo"

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
My experience was that the game does that science fiction/fantasy thing where it blitzes you with Nouns to get you confused/interested, but it chills out pretty quickly.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Me pulling my 6th Natasha: fine I'll use her I guess.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Only spent $5 for the monthly pass so far.

Already have two 5* and one 5* cones. So much content though and don’t have desire for Stelle or Bronya. So just gonna bank crystals and tickets waiting for my true waifus to start getting released

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I hit my pity on the Seele banner and was given Bailu, which is gave me that powerful mixed sensation of "This is good and I can definitely make use of this but it's not want I wanted so I'm simultaneously very happy and very annoyed" feeling, so I'm back to plugging in gemeralds as fast as I get them to hit the guaranteed Seele.

I'm not even particularly in love with Seele as a character, but given that my newbie 5* was Himeko I really badly need strong single target DPS. I've invested heavily in Sushang to bridge the gap and she does extremely good work, but she can be extremely frustratingly RNG-dependent at times. Sometimes a fight just goes to poo poo because she decides she never wants to proc sword mastery.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

it’s cool

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Someone commented on the Eidolon upgrades being weak, buy I'm looking at the first one for Sushang (which I don't have) and "restores one skill point when using skill on a broken enemy" seems really good (and better than most Genshim constellations).

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yours is the gun that will rail the heavens.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Someone commented on the Eidolon upgrades being weak, buy I'm looking at the first one for Sushang (which I don't have) and "restores one skill point when using skill on a broken enemy" seems really good (and better than most Genshim constellations).

Speaking from experience, that Eidolon basically transforms Sushang from "kinda mediocre" to "really good", since the character's entire value is being able to poo poo out tons of attacks due to her ult turn reset and that actually lets you do it without skill starving yourself. There's some other really transformative ones, like Hook has some crazy ones(spread burns adjacently from anyone you hit, burn duration +1) and March's are crazy good(+1 counter per turn and counters scale on def from the same one!).

A lot of them are forgettable or unimportant but really strong ones do exist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

I hit my pity on the Seele banner and was given Bailu, which is gave me that powerful mixed sensation of "This is good and I can definitely make use of this but it's not want I wanted so I'm simultaneously very happy and very annoyed" feeling, so I'm back to plugging in gemeralds as fast as I get them to hit the guaranteed Seele.

I'm not even particularly in love with Seele as a character, but given that my newbie 5* was Himeko I really badly need strong single target DPS. I've invested heavily in Sushang to bridge the gap and she does extremely good work, but she can be extremely frustratingly RNG-dependent at times. Sometimes a fight just goes to poo poo because she decides she never wants to proc sword mastery.
sampo's fun single target dps if youre willing to work with his dot shtick

hes also insanely fragile for whatever reason but he does really high damage when he gets going

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Well, I now have Nat E6. Maybe I should stop pulling on this Seele banner (lol I will never stop)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

sampo's fun single target dps if youre willing to work with his dot shtick

hes also insanely fragile for whatever reason but he does really high damage when he gets going

Alas, I've pulled every 4* in the game except Sampo. I actually didn't even realize he was playable until two days ago.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So I guess I've been rolling on that event on the account tied to my gmail account, while I should have been rolling on the account tied to my gmail, which is to say that I first logged in using the google shortcut because I assumed it was tied to my hoyo account, but it turns out it made a new account tied to the same mail address and, well, yeah, you get the picture. That's no the account I'm actually using in-game.

The thing I'm really curious about now is whether or not Genshin (which I haven't played in a year or so) is on the account tied to my gmail, the one tied to my gmail or possibly a third account tied to the same gmail. Oh dear. If nothing else I'll certainly win an iphone now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how this game having a large number of discrete elements *and* roles makes having a varied roster more useful. Even if I have, say, a really good Ice Hunt character, a Fire Hunt or Ice Nihility (or whatever) could also be useful.

I guess the one main exception to this is pure healer Abundance, since they're not exactly making much use of their elements due to rarely attacking (since elements basically don't seem to matter unless you're attacking things or going for those Simulated Universe buffs). Bailu basically just replaces Natasha on my team, though having two healers might be useful later once I get to that content where you need two teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
If people are looking at the Seele banner and trying to do mental calculations on how many resources to spend now vs later for other characters, the general heuristic is that if you are at minimum keeping the $5 daily draw currency rolling and have got the basic version of the paid battle pass, starting from 0 you generate a bit over a pity's worth of draws in a given 6-week patch. I'm basing this off how Genshin feeds players draw currency over time, since Star Rail is pretty much a 1-to-1 copy of Genshin's structure in this regard it should equally apply.

As such, if you just need to hit a single pity you can skip one banner and roll on the other. If you need to hedge against losing the coin flip, you need to skip two banners. Over time as you win coin flips and the game gives extra rolls sometimes you can either hit both banners or roll for weapons lightcones. If you are strict F2P then you can expect this to be about 2/3 to 1/2 as fast and will probably want to skip rolls for 2-3 banners, or more, if you're chasing someone specific. Since this is launch, we likely have early-game and launch event boosts to draws which may give you as much as one full pity above and beyond this.

This is as good a time as any to comment that Hoyoverse game news, be it Genshin or Star Rail, leaks like a sieve. You can almost always get notice of banners several patches in advance as easily as checking reddit for star rail leaks and plan appropriately! I know some people prefer to avoid spoilers, but it's a unfortunate feature of Gacha titles that if you play them without this kind of preparation you can end up disappointed - or pressured into spending money you may not have wanted to spend. Forewarned is forearmed.