Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

if you want to look at waves just go to the beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Also, saturation is big part of the loudness war that's been destroying music for decades.

this is why vinyl often sounds better because you can't mix as loud on vinyl

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

this is why vinyl often sounds better because you can't mix as loud on vinyl
There's a real argument to be made that Phil Spectres use of instrument doubling and echo chambers, which was nominally done to make transistor radios and vinyl sound better, was the start of the loudness war.

At least one paper also makes the observation that it was already happening during the 60s' Motown era, and it also mentions that the term originates from 1979 (a little more than 30 years before it got popularized).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats about the time they all started hunting down the most overdrive-able mixing boards and slapping reeeeeally expensive compressors on errything

I will confess that i did the same and i have a 17 year old behr MX2642a, which Uli got sued over by Mackie for stealing the VLZ channel strip. you can get it way into the red and it just keeps sounding better

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Uli got sued over by Mackie for stealing the VLZ channel strip

i like your funny words radio man

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahah

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
similar to the loudness wars, an older guy once told me that radio stations would turn up the speed on records they were playing ever so slightly in order to make the music feel peppier

anyway, have an educational YouTube I found recently:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8i-4EpLBXMzekETNXwcZjA/videos

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

namlosh posted:

anyway, have an educational YouTube I found recently:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8i-4EpLBXMzekETNXwcZjA/videos
Seems like a real neat channel, thanks for the recommendation!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
steve is back with an MRE from the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSUWu37dt4

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tom7 is very educational:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae9EKCyI1xU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It started out interesting. Then it went on an interesting tangent. Then it went on a tangent that made by head explode several times.

Would highly recommend.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

two suckerpinch videos in a year???

#blessed

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NinetySevenA posted:

i worked on a hot stamp line for a bit. it heats steel up to 900c. it was like 99% automated but sometimes we would have to go in and take the steel off the line and it was unbearably hot. and these guys here are just pulling slag out of molten iron right next to the furnace.

Fatha was a a manager at British Steel way back when I was a kid, I went with him to the office a few time late evening to pick up some work stuff, I always remember going out to the rolling yards (this was probably pre-any Health & Safety that would stop you from just going where you fancied on-site) and standing on kennedy grating walkways while the long rolled sections of fresh red-hot steel would pass by underneath, under-lighting everything devilishly and putting out a throb of heat.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

It started out interesting. Then it went on an interesting tangent. Then it went on a tangent that made by head explode several times.

Would highly recommend.
It's becoming a real thing, that when I watch a Tom7 video, I start out having a pretty good clue about what he's talking about, then get to a point where I think maybe I know what he's saying, and by the end I'm just blankly staring at the screen, looking at all the tabs that've just exploded open in Firefox.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Incredible content, absolutely worth the time.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm 90 seconds in and:

* there are intelligent jokes that made me chuckle (out loud!)
* no one is shouting
* there have been zero (0) seconds of wasted time
* i have a general idea of what the video will be about, the style in which it will be delivered, and whether i want to know more

and yes, i want to know more. this thread delivers again!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suckerpinch is really good, but unfortunately

pseudorandom name posted:

two suckerpinch videos in a year???

#blessed

is not a lie

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"the resulting two gigabye file crashes every piece of software i throw at it. i admire its spirit"

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i tapped out after about half an hour of not really going anywhere ut its definitely neat. Is there a surprise reveal at the end or anything?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am at 35 minutes and started getting distracted, so im gonna come back to it tomorrow when i start getting distracted from work and need a break

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

rotor posted:

i tapped out after about half an hour of not really going anywhere ut its definitely neat. Is there a surprise reveal at the end or anything?

He proves its turing complete and then writes an emulator that plays mario with it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

FalseNegative posted:

Incredible content, absolutely worth the time.

as soon has he said IEEE-754 I saw where this was going and I laughed out loud

pmchem posted:

IEEE-754 more like IEEE-7.54 am i right

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

He proves its turing complete and then writes an emulator that plays mario with it.
And it runs at eye-watering speeds.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
super stoked to watch it…

if anyone has any more high quality video essayists that are good, speak up. they don’t have to be tech. I feel like I’ve been living under a rock because I recently found Dan Olsen at FoldingIdeas and HBomberguy and Sarah7… binge watched a lot of that and now I’m looking for more!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

namlosh posted:

super stoked to watch it…

if anyone has any more high quality video essayists that are good, speak up. they don’t have to be tech. I feel like I’ve been living under a rock because I recently found Dan Olsen at FoldingIdeas and HBomberguy and Sarah7… binge watched a lot of that and now I’m looking for more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvh6NLqKRfs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

just started watching it and realised its teh dude frim chess video

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

i can only assume this is what smart people think about and do constantly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goblin week posted:

I'm dumb as hell and dont think about that stuff, so can confirm

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

goblin week posted:

yeah, every time sigbovik came up I was all "oh, oh yeah, this is why I couldn't get into CMU"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it’s easy to get into CUM if you have even the slightest interest, imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ew fart simpson!

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA-KpGYG83E

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94UsrhWKyA

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I love when physicists complain about physicists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kya_LXa_y1E

She's no Northernlion at Isaac, but her string theory ramblings are a lot of fun.

Also, Northernlion is not a PhD.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It seems like what she's tired of is the "lies to children" that permeate all of science? Which is very fair.

Still better at BoI than me, though.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Still better at BoI than me, though.

:same:

also, she has a phd, so she's better at physics than me too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MrQueasy posted:

also, she has a phd, so she's better at physics than me too.
:same:

mystes
May 31, 2006

MrQueasy posted:

She's no Northernlion at Isaac, but her string theory ramblings are a lot of fun.

Oh neat I just stumbled across this video a couple days ago

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
there was this Kaluza guy in the 1920s who found out that if you do relativity in 5D instead of 4D you can naturally derive electromagnetism and it was mindblowing and neat. but as a couple decades passed it was pretty obvious that despite the initial breakthrough the approach was going nowhere.

string theory comes from this same approach (it's way less "natural" really) and it's been obviously a deadend for physicists for a much longer time than we knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MrQueasy posted:

lmao that win streak