Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The zoning demand meter is not a "you MUST build" indicator, it's better to think of it as, "if you want to grow your city, this is the best way to go at the moment" indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The zoning demand reader is broken and totally irrelevant. What matters for your zoning choices is unemployment%.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mrenda posted:

How should I be responding to demand for residential/commercial/industrial zoning?

I started a new save, trying to slow things down, but again I'm falling into the trap of feeling like I have to keep expanding, and quickly. I'm up to close to 5,000 people with my first session. I made the mistake of going with windpower, so I feel like I'm constantly behind on costs. I tried stopping to let my cash build up to make improvements/improve land value but my population dropped when I wasn't responding to the zoning demands.

Is there a point where you need to race to and then you can let things even out and slow down?

your population going through major dips is normal if you zone residential really quickly. the people who move into new developments when they're built are very frequently young adults (or adults, i can't remember which). so if you zone a ton of residential at once, and expand quickly in general, you wind up with huge fluctuations in your population as people die of old age.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm a little surprised that they actually "correctly" model age of your population, instead of doing something like, say, "if you have x amount of hospitals, your elderly population is y".

To me, it seems like something like that improve performance, and perhaps make things work more to as expected, but maybe it's just me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

turn off the TV posted:

your population going through major dips is normal if you zone residential really quickly. the people who move into new developments when they're built are very frequently young adults (or adults, i can't remember which). so if you zone a ton of residential at once, and expand quickly in general, you wind up with huge fluctuations in your population as people die of old age.

Yeah if you do things, idk, right you usually end up with a death wave later on and then you need to build a bunch of graveyards and crematoriums and poo poo and then you end up needing to get rid of most of them once all the pioneers are dust.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i just always play with a life cycle rebalance mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2027161563

the companion mod that changes building capcacity/demand is also pretty nice. it uses the in game volume of structures to calculate area+floor count and scales residences/jobs based on that, making larger buildings have significantly more residences and single family homes single family homes. works really well with real time and disabling pocket cars and car de spawning in tm:pe to make the traffic sim more difficult

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There use to be a city building MMO way back in the day where everyone worked together to build a city together in a sci-fi setting. You placed down businesses, homes, and utilities / services and all of it benefited each other. The playerbase worked together to figure out the best city layout and what to build and where. I don’t think it’s going anymore, and I cant remember the name.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
Is there a current, working mod (I know, asking a lot) that'll let me adjust the light and weather setting for my city? I'm in a tropical area, but I hate how the lighting and weather makes everything seem orange/yellow, hazy and indstinct. I know I've seen a video where something like this was mentioned but I couldn't get it working with my save.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm just blown away by how much of the city I have to demolish to institute almost any public transportation, and how ridiculously expensive it is

at least you can just go ahead with little recourse as god-mayor, Seattle has the equivalent of this with their poorly-planned 50 billion 100 billion dollar light rail expansion. which is what I want CS2 to stimulate because as much as I like making perfect zen garden cities, I also want to deal with NIMBYs, local politic shenanigans, gentrification, etc. though that might be a hard sell considering that's a different playerbase to cater to.

Ion Mage
Dec 21, 2006

I said come in! posted:

There use to be a city building MMO way back in the day where everyone worked together to build a city together in a sci-fi setting. You placed down businesses, homes, and utilities / services and all of it benefited each other. The playerbase worked together to figure out the best city layout and what to build and where. I don’t think it’s going anymore, and I cant remember the name.

Starpeace?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Mrenda posted:

Is there a current, working mod (I know, asking a lot) that'll let me adjust the light and weather setting for my city? I'm in a tropical area, but I hate how the lighting and weather makes everything seem orange/yellow, hazy and indstinct. I know I've seen a video where something like this was mentioned but I couldn't get it working with my save.

Try Play It! which should do most, if not all, of what you need. You can also try adjusting the color correction in the options menu. It has a bunch of different options that you can change to make your city's lighting look different.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ion Mage posted:

Starpeace?

I think that is it yeah!

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I almost want a "Hard Mode" skylines 2 - where (as mentioned above) you have to deal with city councillors, NIMBY's, influential property owners and regional governments that can overrule you.

Want to put in a transit station as part of your new metro line? Oh no - the local city councillor for that region is complaining because residents feel it will impact the local character of the neighbourhood, and demand it be placed a few blocks fown - which would make it irrelevant.

Like those new segregated bike path upgrade? Well your regional governor who commutes to the city in a Ford escalade will restrict your funding anx demands you build more stroads to get him to where he wants by car.

Funding for your city is a little low? Well gosh darn this new developer is in town providing you with a discount to single-family home development - but it has to be on prime farmland you've zoned agricultural.

Whats this? The younger cims in your city hate the way your city has turned out, and have voted out a the local councillor caught in a scandal with his aides - who was blocking your every turn - and now with a new council you can overrule those petty NIMBY's so you can finally build that new transit system you've always wanted!

Oh no - your new light rail system freezes up during the winter because you went with the lowest bidder, and now your cims hate you!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There's like three more DLC packs coming out for Skylines. :homebrew: But probably going to just say no thank you and wait patiently for Skylines 2.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was going to get back to my city but knowing all the mods will break again in a few weeks took the wind out of my sails. Please stop releasing stuff and just work on 2 already.

Also never did figure out what mod change was causing all my props to vanish underground every time I load the city.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I was going to get back to my city but knowing all the mods will break again in a few weeks took the wind out of my sails. Please stop releasing stuff and just work on 2 already.

Also never did figure out what mod change was causing all my props to vanish underground every time I load the city.

gently caress, I forgot about this too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A "Hardcore Mode" in a city builder does sound like an interesting idea. It'd be neat to be forced via ordinance or litigation or whatever to adapt to whatever rulings or red tape the game throws your way. Like a system similar to disasters in that they happen to you and you have to deal with them, but not so destructively, but in adding challenges and obstacles to new growth.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Multiplayer, but player two controls astroturfing lobbyists.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
A challenge I can see happen in multiplayer (because it would be something I would do to my friends) is I would pick the highest point of elevation uphill of everyone else, build hundreds of raw sewage outlets, and unleash poo river upon the other cities below.

Although, in all seriousness about this topic - one touch I think would be interesting would be to have air pollution plumes travel away from their pollution sources. In north America, with prevailing wind patterns blowing from west to east, often the west side of a city with heavy industry is the more expensive and lucrative zone - with the east side being cheaper. It gets complicated when other smaller cities join the mix, especially if they are also downwind of the pollution plume.

(Heck, if this was a feature, one "emergency" I could see happen is a temperature inversion - when wind patterns shift for a while and now what was once upwind from a pollution source is now downwind, sometimes creating "Smog days").

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All of the "hard mode" realistic bureaucracy / NIMBY stuff is funny to post about but would be fun to play with for precisely 20 minutes before you begged to go back to sandbox mode where you can actually build a city.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think you could make an interesting game about it but it wouldn't really be a city builder.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Entropic posted:

All of the "hard mode" realistic bureaucracy / NIMBY stuff is funny to post about but would be fun to play with for precisely 20 minutes before you begged to go back to sandbox mode where you can actually build a city.

And it'd be either something you can minmax as well, or it'd be some kind of super boring and annoying minigame, like influencing other nations in Victoria 2

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Entropic posted:

yeah, I have to LIVE in all the awful choices forced by real estate developers, nimbys and small business tyrants every day, why would I want to recreate that? IMO all the assets and tools focused on building roads and freeways (as well as the magically absent parking lots) bias the game toward american-style development enough as it is.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, I have to LIVE in all the awful choices forced by real estate developers, nimbys and small business tyrants every day, why would I want to recreate that? IMO all the assets and tools focused on building roads and freeways (as well as the magically absent parking lots) bias the game toward american-style development enough as it is.

I don’t understand how a bunch of Finnish devs can be so car brained to produce car-games like cities skylines.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just want to make a Sim lovely

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
if we're talking about crazy other game modes we actually want, I want a modern version of SimCopter (where you could fly around your SimCity 2000 cities!) that works with C:S

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I don’t understand how a bunch of Finnish devs can be so car brained to produce car-games like cities skylines.

It's because the game is not really about city building, it's about traffic puzzles.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

This game made it big because simcity 2015 was a tremendous flop and people wanted a simcity that worked right and didn't have crippling design flaws. It may not have caught on if they had hosed with the simcity formula (RCI/density zoning, lots of roads, etc.) too much

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I don't mind the idea of citizen demands in theory, but in practice they're going to come from exactly the hegemonal mindspace that RCI absolutism and carbrains already do and I don't think it makes a good game to have a city simulator where you play as its planner based entirely on examples where cities are deliberately broken free from any sort of useful planning. Nor would I have any desire to play a Robert Moses sim where you're playing to sneak as many nods to the upper crust in as possible even though there are better options, though at least that could make a mechanically interesting game.

What would be interesting would be to have greater maps you couldn't access directly--could be, but wouldn't have to be, actually simulated or drawn from other players--and pump up the granularity of industrial production, such that you had to spin the plates of redeveloping to fit the overall needs of the region and either maintaining enough population/political pull to not have SC2K-military-base-style untouchable land forced on you or figuring out how to turn such things into positives.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'd like a city planner with actual friction where you can't just bulldoze through a neighborhood and create a new offramp instantly. Like it should be significantly more expensive and building any infrastructure should take time (same way growable buildings don't pop in overnight, they need to be actually built).

Ideally also with some sort of carrot and stick gameplay like "the citizens in X neighborhood are petitioning for a new community centre!" with bonuses if you do it within a year, stuff like that

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Entropic posted:

Especially since the game that tried it, Urban Empire, was so good and fun that it's sitting mostly forgotten at 34% positive reviews on steam.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Ideally also with some sort of carrot and stick gameplay like "the citizens in X neighborhood are petitioning for a new community centre!" with bonuses if you do it within a year, stuff like that

I want to say that one of the SimCitys (4 maybe?) had "quests" that you could optionally take on. But I could be getting that confused with another game.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Entropic posted:

I actually bounce off of sandbox mode builders pretty hardcore these days, so no, I'm not turned off by the concept. I'm sure there are infinite ways to implement some form of all that and make it miserable, though.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

I'd like a city planner with actual friction where you can't just bulldoze through a neighborhood and create a new offramp instantly. Like it should be significantly more expensive and building any infrastructure should take time (same way growable buildings don't pop in overnight, they need to be actually built).

W&R does that to varying degrees, if you haven't tried it. Some difficulties let you cash-slam construction but not all and your budget can only be replenished with exports, you can't demolish residential without first moving the residents and if you move them to slums they'll defect, and while there aren't petitions there are a variety of civic wants-but-not-needs that gradually phase into feasibility as you expand (and sometimes at cross-purposes, building bars or recommissioning old churches on the map can give a happiness boost early but make it harder to keep up health or loyalty as you go on, or drain happiness if you scrap them until people are weaned off).

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 30, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

oh jay posted:

I want to say that one of the SimCitys (4 maybe?) had "quests" that you could optionally take on. But I could be getting that confused with another game.

It was only for U-Drive-It missions.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Eric the Mauve posted:

In unmodded CS you don't actually have to build any industry at all once you've unlocked offices, and indeed should demolish all your industry as soon as you do.

seven years. Seven years and I never knew this.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I don't dare try it

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It cuts down traffic by a freaking ton.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kid me always did something like that, because based on my limited knowledge of the world, nobody wants to work in a factory, that seems cruel and back breaking. Surely having a utopia of skyrise offices won't destroy people's souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Spent three hours getting the game working again so I can play for two weeks before it all breaks. I'm smart.