Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now, I might be a whiny scrub that's bad at the game but when the game matches me, a Gold Tank with Gold in every other role, against a "Gold" Tank who's loving Master in DPS, I feel like it maybe teeny tiny bit unfair?
Especially considering that half of the Tanks in OW2 are just played like fat DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

skill based matchmaking is hell on our brains. just try and go next. they might have aiming skill but theyre probably gold at the tank role for a reason and if theyre better than gold at tank it means theyre in the wrong rank. it tends to rank people up pretty quickly now so thats pretty rare. its entirely possible to be gold at tank and masters level at a few DPS heroes

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

unless they're intentionally throwing games to remain at gold tank (i.e. smurfing), then they legitimately might be gold tank master dps if they've played a couple dozen games of tank

their mechanical aim might be good, but their tank game sense is probably terrible

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Jack Trades posted:

He really didn't want you to stagger.

I was rounding a corner and they didn’t have any mobility characters to chase me. I would have made it out.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My MMR must have started in single digits this season because I've had a positive win rate, across the last 8 or so resets/checks, including several 5-1 batches, and I'm still at Bronze 5.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Lifeweaver's healing is honestly not bad at all now; you just have to play to its strengths. Those strengths being a guaranteed hit unless the projectile intersects with a barrier, otherwise ignoring LoS once released; and can be pre-charged behind cover to peek heals or be ready for incoming damage. He doesn't have incredibly high throughput like Ana or Moira but he can do so at range and easily tag high-mobility heroes. I wouldn't complain about removing the need for him to reload his healing mode, though. His ult also charges super fast so you may as well plop it down as often as you can, and it shits out a lot of healing now too.

His main issue is that Overwatch 2 supports can't just be healing, but the utility LW provides outside of healing has too niche a specialty for their complexities or his drawbacks, and his awkward control scheme just compounds the issue. He's a gigantic 200 HP target that explodes the moment a competent dive hero looks at him the wrong way. His big controversial cooldown is at best occasionally useful to save a single ally, but outside of that and wacky slingshot tech, Life Grip is underwhelming compared to a lot of similar abilities on other supports and at worst has the unique property of absolutely loving your team over. His gun's projectile speed is dreadfully slow and it's just not very good to fall back on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried playing LW and watching my healing numbers compared to the other healers and my impression is that his healing IS very low, but his ults fixes his numbers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've just started telling lifeweavers to stop using their pull on me, ever. I've had maybe one good lifeweaver on my team, the rest have legitimately just been a detriment.

I've been practicing getting out with like 10hp left for almost seven years now after I confirm a kill. I don't need some rear end in a top hat stopping me because he thinks i'm "too aggro".

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

like 90% of lifeweavers pulling me have been okay to good

maybe lw's pull can be used to enable really stupidly aggro play that normally couldn't happen like letting reaper flank, invul, get healed while invul, then fight again before being pulled as a rotation

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Just let people learn how the use the ability lol

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I love how I'm specifically barred from using Diamond-ranked roles when I'm teamed up with my Silver friend and then we're immediately thrown into a comp lobby against a Diamond DPS

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I tried playing LW and watching my healing numbers compared to the other healers and my impression is that his healing IS very low, but his ults fixes his numbers.

Yeah, he's not an especially high output healer but again, his heals are a 30m lock-on that passes through terrain once fired and can be charged behind cover. Tree should be building incredibly fast and that also makes up for his numbers, as you note. To clarify, I do think he's pretty weak overall (including his main heal) but I also don't think his healing is as bad as it's made out to be. I'm also wary of buffing his heal too much because of how it always hits; could you imagine playing against LW if he had healing output comparable to Ana?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

If your Ana loses a fight with a less than optimal grenade, or your lifeweaver loses a fight with a less than optimal pull, the outcome is the same I guess.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

headcase posted:

If your Ana loses a fight with a less than optimal grenade, or your lifeweaver loses a fight with a less than optimal pull, the outcome is the same I guess.

the Ana can't really turn a winnable fight into a losable one in the same way Lifeweaver can I guess

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I feel like most bad pulls really aren’t that disruptive

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It feels bad because someone else is making the decision for you, even if it turns out to be the right one.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My MMR must have started in single digits this season because I've had a positive win rate, across the last 8 or so resets/checks, including several 5-1 batches, and I'm still at Bronze 5.

i went from diamond 5 to silver 2 on 5 subsequent positive win rate placements including a 5-1 and 5-0. i think it’s pretty clear that SR or some other absolutely transparent system rework needs to happen to not have the ranking system feel like poo poo.

people also like throwing around the “personal stats aren’t taken into account for rank” thing pretty frequently, attributed but not sourced to blizzard. idk that losing rank 5 times in a row in a week could happen with a positive win rate unless i explicitly lost only games against lower/even elo players and only won against lower elo players for ~ 40 games in a row.

i find most games are closest when i’m playing against high gold/low plat players so i assume that’s about where i should be, and was where i was for S1, 2, and 3. the matches at the end of S3 and so far in 4 have been the worst yo yo ing i’ve seen of any fps with sbmm

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 2, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

harrygomm posted:

people also like throwing around the “personal stats aren’t taken into account for rank” thing pretty frequently, attributed but not sourced to blizzard.

They said that in one of the OW2 blog posts talking about matchmaking.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pvt. Parts posted:

Just let people learn how the use the ability lol

They can learn, but i reserve the right to tell someone to gently caress off and practice on someone else after the 3rd missed pull that's let someone escape safely. I'm also just not happy with a character that people can be more annoying than Mei with. I've already seen a couple tilted healers go "gently caress it" and use their pull to completely gently caress an organised dive.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It feels bad because someone else is making the decision for you, even if it turns out to be the right one.

Honestly I don't mind this. It can be a cool idea and I like the idea of being able to go a little harder than usual knowing that i'll be pulled back safely, but that requires the lifeweaver to be in comms and actively taking part in the game. 90% of my games is people not talking until they're angry, then they talk.

I fully believe that when I play him (i'll unlock him eventually, i guess) it'll probably be ok because I have a habit of making calls in every game I play and he just seems like a comms character.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 2, 2023

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Really Lifeweaver seems, to a relatively unskilled person like me, like a hero that makes sense in a team based context, but most people don't seem to get the distinction between a team game and a multiplayer game. Random matchmaking does not make teams. His kit seems to me like potentially it could be used really well in a very advanced organized play type scenario where people can practice taking full advantage of his abilities to coordinate risky plays, but how does anyone ever expect this to work out with a bunch of randos?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

imho LW's not a fundamentally bad hero but he needs serious CD reductions on his abilities if they want him to be a real contender. His healing output is fine. He should pretty much always be outhealing a Zen/Lucio/Brig but he has no real DPS output and his only utilities are on a 10-20 second cooldown. Grip needs a seriously shorter cooldown if they want that to be the main reason to run him, since his platform is good but doesn't exactly help your team win standoffs.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

imho LW's not a fundamentally bad hero but he needs serious CD reductions on his abilities if they want him to be a real contender. His healing output is fine. He should pretty much always be outhealing a Zen/Lucio/Brig but he has no real DPS output and his only utilities are on a 10-20 second cooldown. Grip needs a seriously shorter cooldown if they want that to be the main reason to run him, since his platform is good but doesn't exactly help your team win standoffs.

I think you have to be really sparing with any ability that is a guaranteed save from otherwise certain death. Even suzu can fail if the dps hose is still on the character being saved once it ends.

For the record I'm not necessarily saying it would be OP with a shorter cd, I just think you'd be adding frustration into the game (for the enemy team) and good game design shouldn't feel frustrating for either team. (Speaking of, when is Widow getting removed from the game)

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 2, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On that note, I do find it kinda funny that hog got basically nerfed into the ground because he wasn't fun to play against but ball is this unkillable monster and the closer i get to GM the more I realise refusing to play him is basically a gigantic glaring hole in my game. He's so ridiculously good right now.

E: Although a guy did accuse me of hacking on hog a couple days ago. Which is funny as hell, I saved the replay. Some weirdass 1am game where i'm just hitting like every hook.

QFAW4F if you're interested.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

dogstile posted:

On that note, I do find it kinda funny that hog got basically nerfed into the ground because he wasn't fun to play against but ball is this unkillable monster and the closer i get to GM the more I realise refusing to play him is basically a gigantic glaring hole in my game. He's so ridiculously good right now.

Reaper is the only character who consistently shuts him down. Just stick to your backline and blow him up whenever he piledrives, he won't be able to do poo poo.

But yeah I don't generally think a character should require a single counterpick like that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

As a tank I have no idea how to react to ball, nothing I do slows him down in any significant way. I just have to hope a dps switches to sombra.

As a support it's similar, I can sleep and anti him as ana but he gets woken up and just speeds away without dying.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PantsBandit posted:

Reaper is the only character who consistently shuts him down. Just stick to your backline and blow him up whenever he piledrives, he won't be able to do poo poo.

But yeah I don't generally think a character should require a single counterpick like that.

It doesn't work, he gets too much HP from his overshield. 600 overshield + 150 armour and 550 health. Even if reaper hit every single shot he'd only bring him down to like, 20% hp and he's never hitting every shot before Hammond has rolled away to another health pack. I've been trying ball counterpicks for the last week and you basically have to dedicate the entire team to catching him, its silly.

The only other tank as infuriating is probably Rammatra getting nano'd and ulting for free teamfight wins. Although he's not so bad because outside of the ult he doesn't slap as hard.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

dogstile posted:

It doesn't work, he gets too much HP from his overshield. 600 overshield + 150 armour and 550 health. Even if reaper hit every single shot he'd only bring him down to like, 20% hp and he's never hitting every shot before Hammond has rolled away to another health pack. I've been trying ball counterpicks for the last week and you basically have to dedicate the entire team to catching him, its silly.

No I mean you won't be killing him but he will have to leave before doing anything particularly effective. And you'll be building a lot of reaper ult with beefy body shots every time he piledrives.

If ball is just landing on you and running away every time I don't think he's really doing a whole lot. Ball is only scary if there is the threat of him killing your backline.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PantsBandit posted:

No I mean you won't be killing him but he will have to leave before doing anything particularly effective.

That's probably true in a vacuum, but I don't see that ever happening. We've tried. Ball landing on you with his combo is 150 HP, its not a small amount. At that point a genji dash will kill a support.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

dogstile posted:

That's probably true in a vacuum, but I don't see that ever happening. We've tried.

Fair enough I'm sure everything changes as you progress through ranks. Just saying it's my go-to swap when I see ball and tends to work out for me.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just leave your back line to their fates and go after theirs

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

leftist heap posted:

Legitimately, this is kinda what we do instead. But gently caress ball. Put him and release brig in jail where they can never be played, plz.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If the whole team is coordinated you could maybe get your healers to play Moira and Mercy. They don't have that much to fear from ball.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Kinda, the main problem is that it means the rest of your team basically doesn't get healing. If you watch high level ball players with their teams, they're basically just always threatening a "pay attention to this now or lose a team member" situation. You also can't stand in any of the usual places because of the way he boops, etc.

So it's not even your healing, your whole team kinda needs to swap for him. It's kinda become a thing where the other tank will swap to ball and if people are in comms they'll all sigh and everyone needs to swap, but then you might be losing the fight from say, a widow who is now free just because yours isn't allowed to exist by ball existing.

I think every time i play a game against ball i get closer and closer to uninstalling for another month :unsmith:

Plus moira is just kinda a lovely hero in general. Only the one tricks really get value with her.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
what's the best solution, do you think? less overshield I think could be a good start

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My problem with ball is his insane Burst damage. Yes he is impossible to kill, but if he bounces me on ana, I'm already dead. I don't even know what all goes into the combo, I guess Bump, slam, and some headshots. I swear he kills faster than any other tank. Maybe like 6-8 second cooldown on slam would be nice.

Let's say I nade myself through some of his damage to survive, he will be back with another slam wayyy before my cooldowns are up.

headcase fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 2, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

leftist heap posted:

The fact that this is the main solution to several problems right now only shows how incompetently OW2 was designed.

EDIT: Actually, my bad. "Designed" was a wrong word to use.
Shat out, more like.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

For the record I'm not necessarily saying it would be OP with a shorter cd, I just think you'd be adding frustration into the game (for the enemy team) and good game design shouldn't feel frustrating for either team. (Speaking of, when is Widow getting removed from the game)

Sure but LW’s entire playmaking ability as a support is these last second saves. I don’t really see how a clutch grip or platform save is any more frustrating than a mercy res after your team gets a pick.

Just look at Kiriko for comparison. Her clutch save ability is on a 6s faster timer, she has higher HPS (that also locks on and at longer range) and can weave in damage without interruption, has a better escape, and nearly as good mobility without using an ability cooldown. Even ignoring the hitbox difference there’s zero scenarios in which a LW is a better pick than Kiriko just off the numbers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LW's Healing is mechanically more convenient to use than Kiriko's, as his healing "pellets" aren't slow as gently caress, nor do they collide with the environment, but overall I also agree that Kiriko is just a strictly better choice.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 2, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTBUJXZS0sI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pattonesque posted:

what's the best solution, do you think? less overshield I think could be a good start

Best solution? Delete ball.

Better solution? Give him the roadhog treatment, nerf him into oblivion and rework him.