Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Data Graham posted:

The Behind the Bastards episodes about the FDA are among my go-to things whenever someone starts waxing nostalgic about the 50s

Yeah let's go back to when milk typically had bleach and formaldehyde in it and was so thin they had to whiten it with chalk and gypsum, and also cow brains because it floated like cream

What, do you hate the American Dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I’m going to have to give it a shot. I used to make smoothies with fresh ground peanut butter, a banana, and a bit of unsweetened almond milk; I ended up switching back to “natural” skippy or jif when money got tight and, somehow, it just wasn’t the same. I may just go back to grinding my own again though.

Raw tahini (not tahini salad!) is not expensive and goes great in shakes and smoothies.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Data Graham posted:

The Behind the Bastards episodes about the FDA are among my go-to things whenever someone starts waxing nostalgic about the 50s

Yeah let's go back to when milk typically had bleach and formaldehyde in it and was so thin they had to whiten it with chalk and gypsum, and also cow brains because it floated like cream

In those days, whole milk was called that because it used the whole cow

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ziv Zulander posted:

It’s extremely possible to get no sugar added peanut butter here in the states, even smuckers sells it now. You can also grind your own peanut butter in most grocery stores these days

Smuckers has sold it for at least 30 years because that's what my parents started buying when I was in elementary school. It's good, it actually tastes like roasted peanuts instead of Reese's.

The local coop grocery store also has a peanut mill so you can get peanuts straight from the bulk bin and grind them into butter, it comes out like thick soft serve. You have to add your own salt, but that's easy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ror posted:

On one hand our society has totally hosed up our relationship to sugar both nutritionally and as a taste component, but on the other… sugar is really loving great to eat. In a blind taste test something with a little sugar will probably taste better as long as it’s not making the food noticeably sweeter.

I’ve never made homemade peanut butter and probably wouldn’t think to add sugar, but there are lots of sauces and doughs and things that I add a pinch of sugar to.

Yeah, there was a time when I was mad about sugar and cut it out of everything I cooked and I couldn't figure out why my Japanese and Korean food didn't taste right. Then I experimented with putting the sugar back in--just a little bit, not the insane amounts some Korean food uses--and everything clicked. It doesn't make it sweet, but a bit of sugar can be a flavor enhancer the same way salt and MSG are and it's noticeable when you leave it out.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think I remember the period where you were ranting about corn syrup in Korean supermarkets.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

FFT posted:

It's technically not a liquid. Though I'd be intrigued to see someone consume 12 oz / 350ml of peanut butter in a sitting.

This guy I went to college with did this one day at lunch. I don't think he ate peanut butter for the rest of the year.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1651201365564178434

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

why the gently caress is the butter two tone

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, looks weird
Some kind of margarine that has melted and re-solidified?

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

I feel like I need to chug a glass of water just looking at this. Even the butter can't help how dry that must be.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

rancid as hell i expect.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Top one's cannabutter

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Butter and marmalade? I got nothing.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It's lemon curd

Why would someone do that.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Had to look it up. Yes that is a hockey puck of hard wheat. They call it cereal lmao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Had to look it up. Yes that is a hockey puck of hard wheat. They call it cereal lmao

looks a bit denser than mini wheats but same idea. i understand the need to grease the pipes to get those things down.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I can do frosted mini wheats straight up, no chaser, but I've led a troubled life

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's made from grains, innit?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm fine with mini wheats, but I thought weetabix was basically the equivalent of pressed fiberboard compared to them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They're fine, as long as you add a lot of fruit, and milk, and then eat them before they turn entirely into porridge. Or you turn them into porridge, either way. Not as bad as All Bran.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the boy is back in town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKfWQ3Sij68

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:hellyeah:

I've missed having someone to rhapsodize over banana baby food as a high quality side

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

We have very similar in Australia - Weet-Bix. People will boast about how many they eat per day, with big lads pushing into double digits. They're always submerged in milk and sugar, sometimes in an alarmingly close ratio. They soften up over time and fall apart, forming something more like porridge. So if you want them crunchy, you have the option to eat them sooner. It's not bad. They're definitely more filling than other cereals. Some of my older relatives would smash through a serving before and after a big morning of surfing.

A classic challenge is to eat one dry, which is challenging but not as difficult as people pretend.

There's also variants of smaller chunks with "fruit" embedded which are pretty snacky and nice.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Weirdly, my Kiwi husband loves Weet-Bix but hates Weetabix. My Yankee rear end can't see much of a difference, if any. (He's also particular about NZ Marmite vs. English Marmite vs. Vegemite vs. Our Mate, etc., but that feels like more of a given.)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oat Bake was better than Cracklin' Oat Bran but only one survived

It doesn't even crackle :psyduck:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

FFT posted:

Oat Bake was better than Cracklin' Oat Bran but only one survived

It doesn't even crackle :psyduck:

I find it hard to believe there was ever anything better than cracklin oat bran, that stuff is amazing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weetabix are an atrocious food. As noted they're either hard as the hobs of hell or they dissolve into slurry, you have about 30s to eat it and also it tastes like poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So it's not quite the same as Shredded Wheat?

n.b. I grew up with "spoon size Shredded Wheat" and assumed that was the normal form it took until some point around college age when I encountered :airquote: regular size :airquote: Shredded Wheat in the giant pillow-sized biscuits and was like what the fuuuuuuuuuu:aaaaa:

e: and then they introduced sixteen different types of "frosted" and "cinnamon" and "sugar bomb" and "gingerbread house" and "blueberry birthday cake" and "ice cream sundae" and whatever other forms they discovered were necessary to get kids to eat them I guess

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 13:11 on May 1, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah no shredded wheat are tasty, weetabix are the food equivalent of brillo pads.

Actually pretty good if you're sick and have a gummy throat, they scrape that poo poo right out.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Weirdly, my Kiwi husband loves Weet-Bix but hates Weetabix.
We've since clarified that it's not that he hates Weetabix per se, but that it's the only variety available in the States and pales in comparison to even the most boring, healthier cereals available here. (Shredded Wheat has a very different flavor and is no substitute.)

The mad bastard agreed that buttered Weet-Bix would be lovely, though. :sever:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

I was just now planning to take the same screenshot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

I find it hard to believe there was ever anything better than cracklin oat bran, that stuff is amazing

Yeah, that one's dangerous. I can't think of another bran cereal as likely to have me suddenly realizing I ate 3/4 of my daily fiber for breakfast solely because it tasted so good :ohdear:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Was genuinely concerned he finally got got by a ration from 1925 or something.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

the recipe doesn't specify what kind to use but this is Jif "natural creamy peanut butter." which i regard as a basic big PB brand. you can get the kind that specifically has no added sugar though.

I've been using a calorie tracking app and peanut butter is something I track a lot. I grabbed the jar of peanut butter in the cupboard which as the same ingredients except for no added sugar or molasses.

Comparing by 100g: this/mine

Total Fat: 48g / 54.3g
Saturated Fat: 10.5g / 7.9g
Carbs: 24g / 7.4g
Natural sugar: 6g / 3.8g
Added sugar: 6g / 0g
Fibre: 9g / 6.7g
Protein: 21g / 27.7g
Salt: 0.24g / 1.0g

It's weird that something made of basically 2 ingredients could have so much variance.

But the thing that caught my eye was the calories. Mine is a fancy brand that was recommended as the healthiest choice, but has 643 kcal per 100g compared to 570 for this. IANA food scientist but something seems off.

Also what dumb nutritional information doesn't use 100g/ml for everything to enable comparison?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Interesting, here's my roasted peanut butter (100% peanuts, nothing else), everything per 100g:

Energy: 597 kcal
Fat: 50g
(Saturated Fats: 6.8g)
Carbs: 7g
(Sugar: 3.6g)
Fibre: 9.9g
Protein: 30g
Salt: 0.02g

I'd assume you'll see a bunch of variation depending on origin and type, but I'm not ready for a deep dive into different types of peanut plant and where they are grown…

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Also what dumb nutritional information doesn't use 100g/ml for everything to enable comparison?

It is entirely intentional - they do not want people to be able to make such comparisons easy :(

Edit: I really don't want to get into a "here in glorious Europe we have everything so much better" argument, but it is one of the very useful laws from the EU that nutritional information has to be based off a fixed amount, usually 100g/ml

The US system of guessing a "serving size" that make the metrics look good is (gasp) pretty dishonest.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 21:38 on May 1, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I've been using a calorie tracking app and peanut butter is something I track a lot. I grabbed the jar of peanut butter in the cupboard which as the same ingredients except for no added sugar or molasses.

Comparing by 100g: this/mine

Total Fat: 48g / 54.3g
Saturated Fat: 10.5g / 7.9g
Carbs: 24g / 7.4g
Natural sugar: 6g / 3.8g
Added sugar: 6g / 0g
Fibre: 9g / 6.7g
Protein: 21g / 27.7g
Salt: 0.24g / 1.0g

It's weird that something made of basically 2 ingredients could have so much variance.

But the thing that caught my eye was the calories. Mine is a fancy brand that was recommended as the healthiest choice, but has 643 kcal per 100g compared to 570 for this. IANA food scientist but something seems off.

Calorie dense is not unhealthy. That fat in your hippy peanuts doing some heavy lifting but it's got a better unsaturated ratio.

Sugar will cut the calorie density of anything fatty so either buttercream frosting is a health food or nutrition is complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I prefer the former take.

Edit:

The one true food pyramid