Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What was that show a year or two ago that had a bunch of flamboyant fairy men do magical prince transformations and then fight to defeat evil monsters like a lady who harasses people on Twitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sakurazuka posted:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

I'm not gonna say that Jotaro wouldn't be improved by giving him fairy wings.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Green Wing posted:

I'm sick as hell and all full of opioids and want to watch something light and cosy and preferably with gay ladies in it but gay guys also fine (or nobody gay at all if you must) (though tbh the only anime ive watched that fulfil that are dragonmaid and Yuri on ice,and i guess back when i was a teenager gravitation though i think i remember that as better than it was). I've been really badly out of touch with anime for ages so I just reqatched nichijou,food wars and dragon maid but am going to be zonked out on painkillers for days and need more. I never come in this forum but I know if anybody knows what's good it's you log

the magical revolution of the reincarnated princess is like 70% people talking in rooms but its pretty funny in spots and the last 3 or so eps are insane (in a good way) so i recommend it

bloom into you is a cute lesbian romance anime, sadly the anime only adapts like 75% of it and there will probably never be a s2, but the resolution thats there is nice at least

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Shikimori Isnt Just Cute

Barakomon

Nichijou

Chio's School Road

Bakarina

Endo and Kobayashi's Play by Play

Love After World Domination

Drinking is for Married Couples

Wotakoi

All for these are good fun and most are cozy and nice.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 14, 2023

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

What was that show a year or two ago that had a bunch of flamboyant fairy men do magical prince transformations and then fight to defeat evil monsters like a lady who harasses people on Twitter?

Fairy Ranmaru

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AnoHito posted:

Fairy Ranmaru

Thanks. I remember seeing clips of it a few months ago and it looked ridiculous in the best way.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Has anyone got any good suggestions for a sci-fi manga? Something in space, like a cowboy bebop type of set up rather than mechas.

All the stuff I am finding these days is real world or fantasy. Just in the mood for someone getting up to some han solo style shanigans

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Planetes isn't really Han solo stuff but it's good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Green Wing posted:

I'm sick as hell and all full of opioids and want to watch something light and cosy and preferably with gay ladies in it but gay guys also fine (or nobody gay at all if you must) (though tbh the only anime ive watched that fulfil that are dragonmaid and Yuri on ice,and i guess back when i was a teenager gravitation though i think i remember that as better than it was). I've been really badly out of touch with anime for ages so I just reqatched nichijou,food wars and dragon maid but am going to be zonked out on painkillers for days and need more. I never come in this forum but I know if anybody knows what's good it's you log

Definitely flying witch

It's not romantic or anything but it's cozy AS gently caress

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a sci-fi manga? Something in space, like a cowboy bebop type of set up rather than mechas.

All the stuff I am finding these days is real world or fantasy. Just in the mood for someone getting up to some han solo style shanigans

Planetes already came up, but if you're willing to go old school, 2001 nights might be fun. It's an anthology series (the author did a bunch of others), that plays with all kinds of space travel stories.

Similarly, if you don't mind planetbound, Dominion Tank Police and Venus Wars might be fun for you. Tanks instead of mechs, and Venus Wars takes place on, well, Venus, but they're good times with a light sense of humor much of the time. (Then again, if they work, then Ghost in the Shell 1 and 1.5 might be the obvious recs).

Keeping to space, though, it's less common. There's Astra Lost in Space recently, which got an anime adaptation, by the writer of Sket Dance and Witch Watch. BLAME is a classic story of a grim and laconic badass cyborg wandering the solar system (rebuilt into a single huge multi-level city) to find someone who can stop the rogue builder AIs throwing the City into chaos.

That any help?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Planetes already came up, but if you're willing to go old school, 2001 nights might be fun. It's an anthology series (the author did a bunch of others), that plays with all kinds of space travel stories.

Similarly, if you don't mind planetbound, Dominion Tank Police and Venus Wars might be fun for you. Tanks instead of mechs, and Venus Wars takes place on, well, Venus, but they're good times with a light sense of humor much of the time. (Then again, if they work, then Ghost in the Shell 1 and 1.5 might be the obvious recs).

Keeping to space, though, it's less common. There's Astra Lost in Space recently, which got an anime adaptation, by the writer of Sket Dance and Witch Watch. BLAME is a classic story of a grim and laconic badass cyborg wandering the solar system (rebuilt into a single huge multi-level city) to find someone who can stop the rogue builder AIs throwing the City into chaos.

That any help?

Thanks, Id already read planetes years ago but lots to chew on here.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

ninja edit: I did not see the word Manga, apologies.

Have you seen Space Battleship Yamato 2199? It's a 2012 remake of the old '70s series. Very much not hard sci-fi, quite campy in fact, but it's a fun watch and pretty well-made.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looking for something to follow up Utena.

I was thinking of revisiting Zetsubuo Sensei because Utena’s stylish cinematography/composition reminded me of Shaft (and suicide’s been on my mind). Never saw the third series.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rinkles posted:

I was thinking of revisiting Zetsubuo Sensei because Utena’s stylish cinematography/composition reminded me of Shaft (and suicide’s been on my mind). Never saw the third series.

Are you watching the most recent Gundam series?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Ikuhara's other anime would be a natural followup. I recommend Penguindrum in particular.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Princess Tutu

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. I’ve wanted to see all of those at some point but they weren’t on currently my mind. I don’t know much about the Witch Gundam besides a lot people saying it’s good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It takes a loooot from Utena.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I had never watched a Gundam before, but a bunch of people mentioning it was extremely Utena made me watch. Very much worth giving this witch a chance.

Penguindrum and Princess Tutu are also great recommendations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Saoshyant posted:

I had never watched a Gundam before, but a bunch of people mentioning it was extremely Utena made me watch. Very much worth giving this witch a chance.

Penguindrum and Princess Tutu are also great recommendations.

Make sure you catch the prequel ep zero for thet gundam. It had an official YouTube release iirc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly g-witch takes some of the surface level plot beats from utena but stylistically and thematically it has basically nothing in common, i definitely wouldnt watch it expecting anything like utena's style

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

revue starlight's tv series was kinda eh to me but it had some neat shots, but the movie's extremely, extremely good and worth watching the tv series for, and its by one of ikuhara's proteges so it does have a lot of that style (while managing to get its own visual identity in the movie)

and yeah penguindrum is really good too and is, yknow, by ikuhara

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

On that note did anyone watch the recent re: penguin drum movies? Are they any good? They’re on hi dive now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theyre basically just recap movies with the bare minimum of new material.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Boo! That sucks!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean they are literally called re:cycle of penguindrum

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

i mean it's not like I had high hopes anyway, but I just wanted to confirm :cheers:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
So I had not thought about Hellsing since the manga ended but just found myself humming one of the tracks from the first anime. I started to wonder if Hellsing Ultimate ever finished up, and found it that happened more than a decade ago.

Did Ultimate end up being good and cool or did the budget dry up? Should I just rewatch the first anime? Both? Or just jam to this soundtrack?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

PringleCreamEgg posted:

So I had not thought about Hellsing since the manga ended but just found myself humming one of the tracks from the first anime. I started to wonder if Hellsing Ultimate ever finished up, and found it that happened more than a decade ago.

Did Ultimate end up being good and cool or did the budget dry up? Should I just rewatch the first anime? Both? Or just jam to this soundtrack?

In my opinion the quality of the OVAs declined after episode 8. There was a long delay between the episodes and the studio making it switched. It wasn't really an issue with animation quality though. It just didn't really quite match the style of the previous episodes. To be fair, it might have been a problem with the source material and not the studio. Probably still worth watching.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PringleCreamEgg posted:

For the most part Ultimate is better, the only real exception is the genuinely fantastic OST from the first series. So I guess I'd say just listen to the ost for the first series and binge the second one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

TFS did an abridged dub of it that's really good. :v: (The first episode is a bit rough, granted.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

TFS did an abridged dub of it that's really good. :v: (The first episode is a bit rough, granted.)

I honestly like their take on Luke Valentine better than the actual dub dialogue-wise. Just takes him right over the top in his psycho killing spree.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bringing the motherfucking death by Konami

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I enjoyed Ultimate when only the first three or four episodes had released. But when I saw the rest a decade later, I didn’t like them very much. I can’t quite say whether it was a change in taste, or a drop in quality, but probably a bit of both.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

space adventure cobra

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hellsing ultimate is fine. it does what you want and if you want it it's a fun time. it just depends on how much you want to watch nine hours of dracula goring supernatural nazis

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Colonel posted:

it just depends on how much you want to watch nine hours of dracula goring supernatural nazis

I'm sorry, but are you threatening me with a good time?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I don’t want to watch nine hours of Dracula Göring, Supernatural Nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

hellsing ultimate is fine. it does what you want and if you want it it's a fun time. it just depends on how much you want to watch nine hours of dracula goring supernatural nazis

this is what i wanted out of it but dracula wasn't in half of it

(hellsing ultimate is good)