Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Eh, there's a lot of sense to doing it like that: on the Stargazer bridge and its reuses, the captain can turn and directly look at and address any station with ease, they're all an easy glance away. One of the big flaws with most of the 24th century ships (except the Defiant) is that a lot of the stations are entirely out of the captain's view, in favour of putting them in the audience's view instead.

It works on TNG because Picard was such an aloof character that he could bark orders to Worf behind him without ever turning to face him and trust that he'd carry them out without having to stoop to the micromanager low of actually turning around to look at him.

It gets a little out in the weeds when you get to Voyager and like 75% of the bridge crew is behind Janeway in the low-rider bench seat captains chair so Kate Mulgrew was constantly having to either stand up or crane her neck around to give orders to Harry, Tuvok, and Seven.

At least on Enterprise, Mayweather, Hoshi, Reed and T'Pol were all directly in Archer's line of sight, because the NX-01 bridge was designed after the OG Enterprise one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

It gets a little out in the weeds when you get to Voyager and like 75% of the bridge crew is behind Janeway in the low-rider bench seat captains chair so Kate Mulgrew was constantly having to either stand up or crane her neck around to give orders to Harry, Tuvok, and Seven.

And Voyager's bridge had that big informational ship diagram, massive for clarity, that nobody could see, too.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I do appreciate the Voyager bridge as an completely independent station for each operation though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

nine-gear crow posted:

Voyager is also the most-streamed Classic Trek series of the whole lot. It was also more watched than DS9, even back in it's heyday.

:cry:

I don't know why this is such a big pet peeve of mine, but this isn't true, not if you go by Nielsen ratings.
https://web.archive.org/web/20110708042532/http://www.madmind.de/2009/05/02/all-star-trek-movies-and-episodes-in-two-charts/

Classic 90s Trek ratings are literally just a chronological decline with TNG at the top and Enterprise at the bottom. Voyager was marketed to hell and back, but it never even managed to beat DS9, which was itself a disappointment compared to TNG. And yes, I know that Voyager aired on UPN vs. DS9's direct run to syndication, but the trend is exactly the same between both series. Even the premieres never managed to capture the same audience as the premieres of the previous series.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I remember watching the DS9 premiere and thinking "Well this sucks, they're stuck on a space station."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Paradoxish posted:

Classic 90s Trek ratings are literally just a chronological decline with TNG at the top and Enterprise at the bottom.

Which itself was mostly just tvratings.txt as the audience split into more and more small pieces across a wider range of stuff. You could create the universally agreed greatest Trek series of all time today and it will never even touch TNG season 1's ratings.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The interactive bridge browser really confirms how small those sets were, the TOS bridge always seems it should be so much bigger to me the way it was shot and lit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wee Bairns posted:

The interactive bridge browser really confirms how small those sets were, the TOS bridge always seems it should be so much bigger to me the way it was shot and lit.

Ten Forward, too. There was only space for a few tiny tables.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Ten Forward, too. There was only space for a few tiny tables.

They never showed the massive queue of people outside the slidey doors, all waiting for a table to open up.

"Is Riker done eating his Klingon buffet yet?"
"No"
"Typical."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

They never showed the massive queue of people outside the slidey doors, all waiting for a table to open up.

"Is Riker done eating his Klingon buffet yet?"
"No"
"Typical."

Nah, Ten Forward is for top brass and suckups. Most regular crew go to Twenty Port where there is plenty of room. (Not actually canon in any way)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am pretty sure the captain’s quarters were right above 10-Forward, so everyone had to make sure to keep it down or else he’s be banging on his floor with a broom.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

jeeves posted:

I am pretty sure the captain’s quarters were right above 10-Forward, so everyone had to make sure to keep it down or else he’s be banging on his floor with a broom.

I could see everyone freeze up in the middle of a (Space) New Year's party and Picard's standing in the doorway in slippers, a night gown and wearing a sleeping cap with a tassel, hands indignantly on his sides

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

davidspackage posted:

I could see everyone freeze up in the middle of a (Space) New Year's party and Picard's standing in the doorway in slippers, a night gown and wearing a sleeping cap with a tassel, hands indignantly on his sides

"You there, borg! What day is this?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would have been pretty cool if we saw a second rec/lounge space somewhere on the D just to mix it up, but Ten Forward is a pretty economical concept.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

When they need more bars they just run additional Ten Forwards in the holodeck

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

:cry:

I don't know why this is such a big pet peeve of mine, but this isn't true, not if you go by Nielsen ratings.
https://web.archive.org/web/20110708042532/http://www.madmind.de/2009/05/02/all-star-trek-movies-and-episodes-in-two-charts/

Classic 90s Trek ratings are literally just a chronological decline with TNG at the top and Enterprise at the bottom. Voyager was marketed to hell and back, but it never even managed to beat DS9, which was itself a disappointment compared to TNG. And yes, I know that Voyager aired on UPN vs. DS9's direct run to syndication, but the trend is exactly the same between both series. Even the premieres never managed to capture the same audience as the premieres of the previous series.
DS9 was also syndicated and subject to airing at different times on different channels in different markets while Voyager was a network show that everybody had access to at the same day and time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

It's basically an axiom at this point: people will tell you they loved Deep Space Nine, but they actually watched Voyager.

Because it was mostly unwatchable.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Nessus posted:

It would have been pretty cool if we saw a second rec/lounge space somewhere on the D just to mix it up, but Ten Forward is a pretty economical concept.

Didn't we see one in season one? It was pretty small IIRC, Geordi goes there to look out a window or something.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

davidspackage posted:

"................ Come cheer up, my lads, tis to glory we steer!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

"................ Come cheer up, my lads, tis to glory we steer!"

[epic fist fight brawl ensues]

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

piratepilates posted:

That Enterprise from Star Trek: Planet of the Titans that they have on https://roddenberry.x.io/ just looks awful. I don't know how they planned to film in that thing with the captain raised 10 feet above everyone else, and aside from that it just seems like a dumb design. What's with the XO and Troi chair in front of the Captain's chair (that is itself on a ziggaraut for some reason) positioned right in front of the lip of the raised platform, so they can fall 10 feet whenever they get in to a battle :confused:

It reminds me a little of how starship bridges always seem to look in sci-fi anime - raised captain's position at the back, officers and crew in lowered recesses in front, big ol' dome up top that's either a window or a holographic screen or both. Sometimes there's stations on the captain's flank or guardrails on the captain's elevated deck but otherwise it's usually always just that

Yeah I'm watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes for the first time why you ask

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I decided to rewatch "The Last Ship" which really strikes me as a much better "action sci fi" show than anything Picard has done. But also bridges are much different than any Star Trek, and the roles of the bridge officers feel very different as well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

Because it was mostly unwatchable.
We've got a badass over here. :rolleyes:

I know hot takes are just a staple of the internet, but if you're gonna' malign one of the best shows in the history of television and the most popular Star Trek show on this forum, you'd better say why you didn't like it instead of just dropping a turd in the punchbowl and leaving.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Didn't we see one in season one? It was pretty small IIRC, Geordi goes there to look out a window or something.
Pre-Ten Forward I think they regularly blocked off the corridor set to make a meeting nook, or confusingly mirrored tiny exercise room, or various other things because they hadn't planned ahead to make a set where characters could meet to have off-duty conversations. Once they had Ten Forward that all pretty much stopped, even though the Ent-D must have had tons of other common areas.

Since Ten Forward was always full of the senior staff it was probably only where the suck-ups went to hang out. All the cool crewmembers were probably smoking in the nacelles or something.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Knormal posted:

smoking in the nacelles or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxYy4rMXU1U

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LividLiquid posted:

We've got a badass over here. :rolleyes:

I know hot takes are just a staple of the internet, but if you're gonna' malign one of the best shows in the history of television and the most popular Star Trek show on this forum, you'd better say why you didn't like it instead of just dropping a turd in the punchbowl and leaving.

I haven't seen many accolades from this site about the show but ok.

The characters range from dumb and boring to flat out unlikable, except for maybe Seven and the Doc.

It has some of the worse technobabble solutions of the whole franchise

It completely waste it's premise's potential with conflicts of the Maqui and Fed crew and their limited resources never really limited.

Most of the plots are pretty bland. And too many of them end with really lame reset buttons.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm guessing they thought you were saying DS9 was unwatchable, not VOY

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Brawnfire posted:

I'm guessing they thought you were saying DS9 was unwatchable, not VOY

re-reading the post that he was quoting, I see now that I miss read the person I was quoting. I thought it was saying that Voyager wasn't actually watch.

So that is on me, sorry.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I assumed OP was rational which meant Voyager was the one in the line of fire

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This whole exchange has been adorable, I want to give everyone a hug honestly

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There was a banquet room we saw a few times in season 1, with a nice window and a big Federation logo on the wall. And they used the quarters set with the sloping windows as a lounge a few times too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 1, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

Looks like WebGL rendering it in real time in the web browser, not server-side video streaming stuff. You can load a scene, disconnect from the internet, and keep looking around it if you want - I tried just to be 100% sure, and it definitely works.

WebGL has existed for a while but doesn't see very much use. Independence Day: Resurgence blew as a movie but it had a really cool website that uses a bunch of 3D stuff. https://web.archive.org/web/20160209014603/http://www.warof1996.com/

The archived Wayback Machine version of it is a little slow to load all the art assets though.

edit: Wait while the default view is clearly rendered in the browser the walkaround thing is hitting my network connection hard and stops working when I unplug my cable. What in the world? Are they actually doing Stadia poo poo for something like this? I wonder how expensive that is especially when these scenes wouldn't be very difficult to render in the browser client-side even on phones and poo poo.

edit 2: The more I look at it the more it actually looks... ray traced? They're spinning up servers with RTX GPUs just to show off Star Trek bridges? I feel like I'm going crazy :psyduck:

edit 3: The blog doesn't say for sure but it has ads for a real-time path tracing engine that the company behind the website seems to have made, I guess that's one way to get people sold on it

edit 4: Well my mind is loving blown, I thought there was no way it would be cloud rendered with loving ray tracing but here we are, they're doing it and apparently it's no big deal to do that in 2023

I can instantly tell it's remote because I live in Australia and every single interaction is delayed by the trans-pacific hop lag. :v:

Just in general I want ot smack whoever did this web design. Yeah, LCARS isn't a great interface, but you can do better than this.

Pretty sure a lot of this is touch-first design. Like the sideways scrolling on the ship bar. Ugh.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They got the conference room on the Enterprise-D wrong. They've just got a little corridor, but it's actually down a ramp a half-level! You can see it on the outside, even including the little extension of the bump where the ramp goes down; the bridge itself is higher up so picard can have a fancy window.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 1, 2023

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MikeJF posted:

And they used the quarters set with the sloping windows as a lounge a few times too.

I really like the Ensign's quarters in SNW, witht he big communal space and the privacy nooks. Space is at a premium so the lower-ranks get shoved into communal dorms, but it's still the Federation so it's cool and cosy and non-dehumanising.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Meanwhile Pike's quarters are HUGE. I know he's the captain and all, but dang.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MF got a fireplace, where's the loving chimney

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

MF got a fireplace, where's the loving chimney

- a furious Santa on the hull of the Enterprise

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Having finished both s1 and s2 of TNG I'll just say: not nearly as bad as I remembered! I think a lot of the really bad episodes are front loaded into season one and those stick in people's heads, I didn't realize code of honor was the third episode, but there were a lot of really enjoyable episodes, even ones that I used to think were terrible like The Big Goodbye or Outrageous Okona ranged from "oh, this isn't that bad" to "actually enjoyable." There's a huge shift in characterization from Farpoint that is mostly fixed by the end of s1, even Tasha Yar becomes a decent character by her last coupla episodes. I actually do like Worf's s1 characterization, where he was more laid back and wry, I don't like the Fundamentalist Klingon he becomes by the end of s2, finally cemented in "The Emissary", which is the characterization they kept up mostly until s6/7 of DS9.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fighting Trousers posted:

Meanwhile Pike's quarters are HUGE. I know he's the captain and all, but dang.

To be fair, it seems like a lot of that is the captain's dining room and social lounge, which can be an important space on a ship, a place for the captain to conduct business in a less formal setting, hold meetings while eating, things like that, or for entertaining VIPs.

Historically, the really nice quarters like Pike's or the big senior officer rooms on the D are called staterooms because of their use in entertaining or accommodating VIPs, if I recall correctly.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I never understood how the sets look so sleek and glassy and poo poo and yet the cgi renders of the ship in SNW all have that lovely gunmetal grey color. Was that color somehow a couple of cents cheaper at the cgi-paint paint store or something?