Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Shrimpy posted:

If everything they say about Love is true, my guess is that they're probably working on an extension.

That’s my guess, seeing if he’s worth(or working on) a full deal rather than just an option year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not so fun dealing with QB uncertainty huh Packers fans

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

C-Euro posted:

Beats having Throw Rogan slinging it around with a broken thumb. :shrug:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I dunno, I'm actually looking forward to this season?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

:confused: Only the meatball brains are shrieking about the "uncertainty". It's almost certainly going to get resolved tomorrow, and if not that, then during the season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if love turns out to be bad or even mediocre it will own to see packers fans doing all of the desperate attempting to pretend that a lovely quarterback is good mental gymnastics that all of us have perfected over our entire lives.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

if love turns out to be bad or even mediocre it will own to see packers fans doing all of the desperate attempting to pretend that a lovely quarterback is good mental gymnastics that all of us have perfected over our entire lives.

If Love is bad we're packaging our two firsts + future picks to get Caleb or Drake. If he's mediocre the cadre of extremely annoying Packers fans who whine and gripe about everything will be loving overjoyed that they can nitpick and moan nonstop about him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

If Love is bad we're packaging our two firsts + future picks to get Caleb or Drake. If he's mediocre the cadre of extremely annoying Packers fans who whine and gripe about everything will be loving overjoyed that they can nitpick and moan nonstop about him.

Yea, just take the #1 QB, it’s just that simple. Don’t know why all teams don’t do that!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if love is bad, then just go to the hall of fame quarterback store and pick one up, simple as

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

if love is bad, then just go to the hall of fame quarterback store and pick one up, simple as

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

But Love will set you free. Love is all you need. All you need is Love.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Joy Division were right, Love is tearing us apart :(

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's still draft weekend. What's Love got to do with it?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's a franchise quarterback, Mangles. What it could it cost, 10 firsts?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, just take the #1 QB, it’s just that simple. Don’t know why all teams don’t do that!

The price for swapping #9 to #1 was a quality starter, a second, and a future first and second. If Love is bad enough that the Packers are deciding to cut bait and move on after one single season, the Packers are going to have a top 10 pick plus the Jets pick. They'll be able to offer enough to move up to #2 even if the #1 team doesn't want to give up their pick of the two QBs.

If the Packers don't have a top 10 pick that means Love was mediocre and then we can happily and gleefully litigate just exactly how mediocre he really is for years.

Rodgers leaving means we're, for the moment, free of expectations. Finally we can just sit and see how poo poo will play out instead of wringing our hands about whether or not the team is wasting another year of a Hall of Fame QB. If Love sucks? Oh loving well, that's the risk we took for letting a HoFer walk. If he's just okay? Oh loving well, see if the front office can assemble a roster strong enough to overcome that, and we already know the odds are slim on that given what we saw from nearly every other team in the league for the past three decades.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

SKULL.GIF posted:

The price for swapping #9 to #1 was a quality starter, a second, and a future first and second. If Love is bad enough that the Packers are deciding to cut bait and move on after one single season, the Packers are going to have a top 10 pick plus the Jets pick. They'll be able to offer enough to move up to #2 even if the #1 team doesn't want to give up their pick of the two QBs.

There might be other teams that also want the #2 pick and can trade for it, OP. The team that has the #2 pick might also want it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cognac McCarthy posted:

There might be other teams that also want the #2 pick and can trade for it, OP. The team that has the #2 pick might also want it

Then oh loving well the Packers miss out just like most other teams miss out. I'm not a ball of anxiety over this.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It sure is the offseason

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

They are more likely to try and sign him to a 4 year deal or something with a lot of incentives. slightly risky if he sucks, an enormous cheap-rear end deal if he's good.

And listen, what are the odds he isn't a great qb. Plenty of teams have gone through 3 HoF QBs in a row.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

The move from 9 to 1 will probably cost a different amount next year than it did this year. It may not even be an option. Banking on simply being able to get the best or even second best QB in any given class is not a smart bet.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
I feel fairly confident Love will be "good".
Not HoF good, but pretty decent

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The move from 9 to 1 will probably cost a different amount next year than it did this year. It may not even be an option. Banking on simply being able to get the best or even second best QB in any given class is not a smart bet.

I'm reminded of the Eagles traded with the Browns to draft Carson Wentz, which ultimately cost them the 2016 No. 8 overall pick, their 2016 third-round pick (77), 2016 fourth-round pick (100), 2017 first-round pick (12, which though a trade ended up being the Desean Watson pick), and their 2018 second-round pick (52)... all for a guy that had one good season and was traded away (though they were able to get the Colts to overpay for him in the trade).

Which is all to say, good QBs are hard to get.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hot Diggity! posted:

It sure is the offseason

For the towns that have baseball: also yes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Packers took a goofball drafted in the 2nd round by another team and made him a HoF’er. I’m sure it’ll be fine. :unsmigghh:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

adaz posted:

And listen, what are the odds he isn't a great qb. Plenty of teams have gone through 3 HoF QBs in a row.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Guys. Guys guys guys. I just want to say, I love this NFC North forum. Seriously. I would go to battle with most of you. We band of brothers.

Can you just give Detroit a little success? I don't ask the moon or the stars...

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm just a big fan of drafting Power 5 Freak Athletes, it seems like a good time

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Comfortador posted:

Guys. Guys guys guys. I just want to say, I love this NFC North forum. Seriously. I would go to battle with most of you. We band of brothers.

Can you just give Detroit a little success? I don't ask the moon or the stars...

The detroit lions are the current betting favorite to win (1.5:1) the NFC North. Packers have the worst odds (5:1)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

One of the things that drove me crazy about the Pace years is sometimes he would try to get crafty and draft some division 3 guy who ended up sucking rear end, or even worse just being mediocre to below average.

The NCAA is basically a farm system now just take good players from the best schools

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

I'm just a big fan of drafting Power 5 Freak Athletes, it seems like a good time

If you have faith in your coaching staff, this is the way to do it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bumhead posted:

Lions are going for the North and they’re going to embrace PSYCOLOGICAL WARFARE to try and do it.

Jack Campbell also enjoys picking off OSU QB's.

https://twitter.com/shotofms/status/1652809495150460931?s=20

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Thank you for circling the guy that then goes off camera, that's helpful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

If you have faith in your coaching staff, this is the way to do it.

I'm a big fan of what Poles and Eberflus are doing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gonz posted:

Jack Campbell also enjoys picking off OSU QB's.

https://twitter.com/shotofms/status/1652809495150460931?s=20

The Lions understand that the only rivalry that matters going forwards is Bears / Lions.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

I'm a big fan of what Poles and Eberflus are doing.

For as much as I was beating the Bijan drum, I absolutely love this draft. Bears did exactly what they were supposed to do. Outside of Claypool, Poles has done everything I would do if I were GM, so I hope he is awesome because I need my belief I'd be better than half the NFL GMs affirmed.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

HootTheOwl posted:

The Lions understand that the only rivalry that matters going forwards is Bears / Lions.

If they both become good, hopefully the Lions Thanksgiving game can become vs Chicago every year. Like it was when I was a kid.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel so old.

https://twitter.com/UnnecRoughness/status/1653157730947940354

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't substantiate this at all but I feel like most children of pro athletes end up smaller than their fathers. Like it's always linebacker -> corner/safety and not the other way around.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't substantiate this at all but I feel like most children of pro athletes end up smaller than their fathers. Like it's always linebacker -> corner/safety and not the other way around.

Probably true but Cameron Heyward comes to mind as an exception (although his dad was huge for a running back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

gently caress Notre Dame