Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CODChimera posted:

core pledge: $39

gameplay all in: $99

all in: $129

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q52D4BkJLw

For extra shipping? :laffo:

Tell em to get all the way hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

And capping the number of refunds they'll process per month, and implying that they'll stop refunding altogether if it looks like they'd be losing too much.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

They've been bad for a really long time. I'm surprised people keep backing their games.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

They kept trying to push discounted bundles of Darkest Dungeon around the holidays last year (with endless "we've extended the sale just one more week!" emails) and for the past month have been running a fire sale on Enchanters, Super Fantasy Brawl, and Steamwatchers. It really screamed "we need cash fast."

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Infinitum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q52D4BkJLw

For extra shipping? :laffo:

Tell em to get all the way hosed

No, this is only for the production. There is a 100% chance that there's going to be an extra charge for shipping.

"The amounts of this contribution have been calculated as accurately as possible, they only cover the printing needs of the project 6: Siege.
The funds received for this contribution will be entirely and exclusively reserved for the printing of 6: Siege - The Board Game."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'd have zero confidence about throwing in any additional money to this company and am glad I didn't back this poo poo.

Feels like it'd be throwing good money after bad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG Crowdfunding Thread 3: Feels like it'd be throwing good money after bad

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nobody's going to see any of those games or their money. Looking at the DD comments, people are asking about refunds requested in August of 2022 as of this week, and getting replies that the queue processing is only as far as June or July.

This isn't throwing good money after bad, it's throwing good money after bitcoin.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I wonder if there is a way of automatically establishing how risky any particular kickstarter is. Like "this kickstarter has a 40% chance of fulfilling" or "this project is unlikely to fulfil" and have some breakdown of how many successful/failed/cancelled projects the creators have been involved in.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

No, this is only for the production. There is a 100% chance that there's going to be an extra charge for shipping.

:lol: oh man, double gently caress that then

100% anyone who has backed that should be demanding a refund, or do a bank charge back.

That's insane. Just woefully mismanaged.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

:lol: oh man, double gently caress that then

100% anyone who has backed that should be demanding a refund, or do a bank charge back.

That's insane. Just woefully mismanaged.

People who demanded a refund a year ago, for any of their project, haven't received it, and I'm sure years later is too late for a chargeback. Don't trust a company that runs a KS before fulfilling existing ones.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if there is a way of automatically establishing how risky any particular kickstarter is. Like "this kickstarter has a 40% chance of fulfilling" or "this project is unlikely to fulfil" and have some breakdown of how many successful/failed/cancelled projects the creators have been involved in.

For as little as Amazon gives a poo poo already, there is zero chance they would poison the well like that. Maybe a place like Kicktraq would be more likely, but even they get kinda spicy when a campaign is called out as an obvious scam and/or uses stolen assets.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I've made peace with what I got for Darkest Dungeon. If Wave 2 happens, I'll be happy, but if it doesn't I at least got something.

We're doing a campaign of it right now. I'm giving it a 7/10 for gameplay but a 10/10 for models.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

rydiafan posted:

I've made peace with what I got for Darkest Dungeon. If Wave 2 happens, I'll be happy, but if it doesn't I at least got something.

We're doing a campaign of it right now. I'm giving it a 7/10 for gameplay but a 10/10 for models.

How much eratta was involved? I ask because Reichbusters eventually released a physical 'eratta pack' that replaced all of the character cards, rulebooks and some of the mechanic cards. It actually made an interesting, fairly coherent press-your-luck dungeon crawler dice fest out of the initial mess that had it's rules and reference materials written in natural language.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Before crowdfunding, business ventures had to lay out a business plan including risk assessments and bring them to a loan officer at a bank for evaluation. Of course, one of the problems that crowdfunding intentionally routs around is the built-in biases of that banking system, including racism and discrimination against some types of business, but also the general unavailability of small loans for nontraditional business ideas. But another of the "problems" it intentionally routs around is any sort of reasonable assessment of risk.

People who put money into kickstarted ventures are gambling. There's no capacity to actually, properly assess risk, in the way that those traditional bankers did and still do. There's no open books, there's no credit ratings being explored, there's no market research. It's all on the creator to just advertise what they are selling, and the backers to "assess risk" based on factors like reputation, the claims made by the borrowers about how much work is left and what it'll cost, etc. and these claims are not being audited.

For the platform, whether that's Kickstarter or Gofundme or whoever, to actually perform fiscal due diligence for all of its ventures, would be to turn into a traditional bank, with all of the cost and slowness and potential discrimination that implies. Even if the bank itself isn't taking on the risk ultimately, it'd be taking on an obvious liability - making claims as to the creditworthiness of its projects - for which it could be challenged or even sued.

Of course, something as simple as "this company currently has four incomplete/unfulfilled projects" could be done without all of the above effort, but this is the sort of information that backers already have access to, if they bother to look for it. And companies like kickstarter have no interest in discouraging backers, that would in fact be directly counter to their interest, because they collect their fees the moment the KS closes. So here we see how the crowdfunding model for the platforms is truly a big innovation compared to the old business loan model for banks: those banks took on risk, directly, because they made a loan from their own coffers and the profit only comes after collecting interest for the life of the loan. Whereas crowdfunding platforms make their profits by collecting up-front fees from borrowers, while shifting the risks onto the actual lenders - that's you, the backers.

Tl;dr, you're the bank, not kickstarter; it's on you, not them, to assess risk. They have no incentive to do that for you and all the incentive to get you to back risky projects so they can maximise their revenues. This is the model.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

How much eratta was involved? I ask because Reichbusters eventually released a physical 'eratta pack' that replaced all of the character cards, rulebooks and some of the mechanic cards. It actually made an interesting, fairly coherent press-your-luck dungeon crawler dice fest out of the initial mess that had it's rules and reference materials written in natural language.

Nothing that major. Enough for a single page FAQ/errata document. I almost wish it was worse so they'd have to do a retirement of components, but let's be honest, they obviously couldn't afford to anyway.

I can live with stuff like the reference board for the guild saying "upgrade a level one skill" instead of "upgrade a skill one level".

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

CODChimera posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/6-siege-the-board-game/posts/3796785

Mythic Games asking for more $$ for 5: Siege. Not really a surprise but the amount they want is outrageous

core pledge: $39

gameplay all in: $99

all in: $129

they also go on to mention that if not enough people pay then they will reimburse the payment(minus bank fees lol) and i guess that'll be the end of that?

and they still have Hel, DD wave 2, Anastyr and Monster Apocalypse to go...

Note that they are also charging another 75ish bucks for shipping on top of that. After charging 60 in 2021. The product does not yet exist.

Im on this ride, and while i really really wanted the physical game, they can eat my whole rear end asking for the entire pledge amount again.

This looks entirely like a dine and dash. Looks like im going to have to carve up the tts mod and pnp it myself.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mouzer posted:

Note that they are also charging another 75ish bucks for shipping on top of that. After charging 60 in 2021. The product does not yet exist.

Im on this ride, and while i really really wanted the physical game, they can eat my whole rear end asking for the entire pledge amount again.

This looks entirely like a dine and dash. Looks like im going to have to carve up the tts mod and pnp it myself.
I got the base pledge on a whim and taxes+shipping was already €30+ on a €60 pledge. I haven't been billed for more on Gamefound, nor did I receive an additional request for funds. Happy I ignored that Darkest Dubgeon mail bombing during the holidays, I guess. I think this is only the second time I got burned (and it looks like the unofficial Heroquest 25th anniversary is going to get made in the end) so can't complain given the amount of crap I ended up backing over the years...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

rydiafan posted:

yeah i'm personally fine with it, i only got 2 things from wave 2 and I sold my DD stuff already(just not enough room). sad for the people that invested heavily though, much like with peterson games

I would've liked for Mythic to make it through this though, I like SFB and even if you're just getting a bunch of plastic for the other stuff at least its quality plastic

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mouzer posted:

fuuuuuck. yeah i think you gotta bail on this one sorry to say. thats like double, triple? what they asked for with DD. And DD had way more stuff

and this is all after they sold off some IPs, big sales on their store etc

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Got my copy of The Isofarian Guard and holy poo poo is this thing massive. It’s about the same size as gloomhaven but feels denser. The clay chips they used are heavy af, and while they feel great I kind of wish they’d cheaped out because hauling this thing is a butt.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Middara is also going through a rough stretch as their increased shipping costs are also crazy high. Actually making me reconsider the all-in I tossed at it to complete my million-years-ago act one sunk-cost fallacy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Z the IVth posted:

I hate to say it because it's going to feel like a smug "told you so" which I genuinely don't mean, but looking at the project in question I feel like a lot of these "big box games with licensed IP and minis" projects have a severe tendency to experience problems like this. It's the type of game that I just can't see as anything but a serious risk anymore, if not of outright project collapse then serious delays, shipping cost surges, manufacturing difficulties due to lack of proper planning, etc.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

I hate to say it because it's going to feel like a smug "told you so" which I genuinely don't mean, but looking at the project in question I feel like a lot of these "big box games with licensed IP and minis" projects have a severe tendency to experience problems like this. It's the type of game that I just can't see as anything but a serious risk anymore, if not of outright project collapse then serious delays, shipping cost surges, manufacturing difficulties due to lack of proper planning, etc.

I'm inclined to agree. I feel like Cmon and Awaken Realms have a decent handle on producing and delivering those big-pile-of-plastic games, but a lot of the smaller companies might not know how to actually run a massive project with that level of logistical complexity, and it's only exacerbated when their project blows up massively because it's a licensed IP that everyone gets excited for. If I were looking to design and Kickstart a board game right now, I'd really have to ask myself if I couldn't just do it with standees because the last few years have been such a nightmare.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I backed DD (never got anything for wave 2 lmao) and Monsterpocalypse (BIG lmao) before I even knew there was a problem with the company.

I learned though. I learned.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

For the platform, whether that's Kickstarter or Gofundme or whoever, to actually perform fiscal due diligence for all of its ventures, would be to turn into a traditional bank, with all of the cost and slowness and potential discrimination that implies. Even if the bank itself isn't taking on the risk ultimately, it'd be taking on an obvious liability - making claims as to the creditworthiness of its projects - for which it could be challenged or even sued.

Yet they do already let some companies do multiple ongoing campaigns, on the basis that the risk is low.

Which is not quite to the same as bank-level risk assessment, and I wouldn't want Kickstarter to be a bank, but drat if it doesn't annoy me that some companies get preferential treatment, on principle.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did angry Joe ever do the mortal kombat board game? The street fighter one was late, but a lot of fun to play.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

sasha_d3ath posted:

I backed DD (never got anything for wave 2 lmao) and Monsterpocalypse (BIG lmao) before I even knew there was a problem with the company.

I learned though. I learned.

fwiw Wave 2 is supposedly still in production so it theoretically is still a "haven't gotten yet" versus "never got".

There's a 90% chance you'll never get it, and it you do get it there's a 100% chance they ask you to pay more shipping, but technically it's still alive.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gschmidl posted:

People who demanded a refund a year ago, for any of their project, haven't received it, and I'm sure years later is too late for a chargeback. Don't trust a company that runs a KS before fulfilling existing ones.

True. Years later is far too late for chargebacks for almost any brand of card. (Possibly all of them, depending on how far back.)

Also Kickstarter and the like are technically investor platforms which explicitly don't guarantee you'll get a product at the end of the road. You have to tick a box saying you understand that while making the pledge. That makes most chargeback options fail by default, as the merchant (Kickstarter) can't possibly be at fault for non-delivery.

If the amounts are small and the story is reasonable, some banks will pretend to do a chargeback and just eat the costs themselves as a courtesy to the customer.

Source: I've literally worked at a credit card company's chargeback department.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Azubah posted:

Did angry Joe ever do the mortal kombat board game? The street fighter one was late, but a lot of fun to play.

No, and from what I saw last time I was on the Discord, he's no longer part of Jasco Games, and they seem purely focused on their anime card game now.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 2, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

Yet they do already let some companies do multiple ongoing campaigns, on the basis that the risk is low.

Which is not quite to the same as bank-level risk assessment, and I wouldn't want Kickstarter to be a bank, but drat if it doesn't annoy me that some companies get preferential treatment, on principle.

Oh for sure, they've basically made some flagrantly self-serving favoritism decisions that they totally don't have to make. Seems like there's some degree of just, these guys are our pals so they get away with more, those guys we don't know so they have to follow stricter rules?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I thought there were rules against running multiple kickstarters without completing previous ones? Is that true, or is it just selectively applied if true?

I ordered Joan of Arc from Mythic and while I got my stuff eventually it was a bit of a poo poo show. I didn't buy all the stuff thinking I could get some more later, as they did the thing where the unreleased game somehow has 5 expansion packs. Unfortunately they did not sell the game retail, or did so for a very short period afterwards, so I am not too fond of Mythic. Their latest antics are disappointing, but not surprising.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I thought there were rules against running multiple kickstarters without completing previous ones? Is that true, or is it just selectively applied if true?

There are rules against concurrent Kickstarters, but most companies who have good track records have been able to bend the rules a bit as long as it wasn't too egregious. (ie, Onyx Path, who has had to use a couple different crowdfunding platforms recently because they had at least 2 or 3 outstanding Kickstarters)

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Again, Amazon has zero incentive to turn off the money firehose.

You (currently) can't have more than one active campaign on the same account, but you can have serial campaigns without fulfillment, and if you have more than one account, sky's the limit!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Robert Facepalmer posted:

For as little as Amazon gives a poo poo already

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Again, Amazon has zero incentive to turn off the money firehose

did amazon buy kickstarter when I wasn't looking

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

rydiafan posted:

fwiw Wave 2 is supposedly still in production so it theoretically is still a "haven't gotten yet" versus "never got".

There's a 90% chance you'll never get it, and it you do get it there's a 100% chance they ask you to pay more shipping, but technically it's still alive.

Yeah according to my email they're gonna charge us again in September :v

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vidmaster posted:

Got my copy of The Isofarian Guard and holy poo poo is this thing massive. It’s about the same size as gloomhaven but feels denser. The clay chips they used are heavy af, and while they feel great I kind of wish they’d cheaped out because hauling this thing is a butt.

Yeah, this is in the pile of "stuff I backed and didn't realize it was ungodly huge" along with Oathsworn. Not that I'm complaining, definitely seem to have gotten my money's worth. I haven't gotten it to the table yet.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Fate Accomplice posted:

did amazon buy kickstarter when I wasn't looking

gently caress, for some reason I thought KS was their creation. They certainly have the Amazon 'does this make us more money? Fuckyou.'

LOLwhoops.

Looks like I thought that Amazon payments was still their processor and they were also under their umbrella because why wouldn't they be? Completely glossed over them switching to Stripe in... 2015. Nice.

Robert Facepalmer fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 2, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lol though at the idea of Wizard Luke becoming a leader in an Amazon product team. he’s the wrong kind of broken for that, entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Sage Genesis posted:

Also Kickstarter and the like are technically investor platforms which explicitly don't guarantee you'll get a product at the end of the road. You have to tick a box saying you understand that while making the pledge. That makes most chargeback options fail by default, as the merchant (Kickstarter) can't possibly be at fault for non-delivery.

This is something that people fail to understand and it baffles me. I've seen people back a Kickstarter, no on the community discord and start demanding instant access to the final pdf of an rpg. Or ask when it's shipping, or when they get charged because they used their spouse/parent/siblings credit card or some such.

Steinhardts soulsborne rpg was rife with that. That thing did gangbusters and the amount of people jumping into that discord and having no idea how any of it worked was baffling.

I've seen smaller devs just give up on the platform because it's such a hassle for people who don't know what their doing. One dev made.it clear you could get a pdf of an at cost code for a print version from dtrpg. People were livid that the 20 bucks then backed didn't give them a 80 page lite rpg and then they had to pay 6 bucks for a book and another couple bucks for shipping or some such.

It seems like rpg kickstarters tend to only exist ina few forms. It works but it acts as a springboard for the designer to launch their own platform and they never need to do it again. The Kevin Crawford school. They daisy chain so one kicks off as another wraps up. Or is blows up and the scope get so bloated the entire thing collapses on itself and everyone's mad.

But it's a risk from top to bottom and it always throws me for a loop when people act like they bought something from a storefront.