Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I played Wargame with my brother yesterday and bumrushed him with a horde of T-34s. Won the match in like five minutes. Maybe Russia is going for something like that?

They patched the T-34 rush in like 2011 three weeks after EE released

Still, the T-34 horde crushing Abramses was hilarioud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1652714080111607808
Tatarigami posted a new thread today concerning the Wanker SS and Prigozhin, and the situation in Bakhmut, in response to Prigozhin's video from a couple days ago. Apparently the only reason they're able to make any headway at all is because of artillery fire, mortar fire, TOS-1s, and CAS. The newly formed PMCs are of even worse quality and responsible for several instances of bungling already. There's no coordination, proper logistics, information exchange, etc. between all these disparate groups, and the Russian MoD's own forces. However, Ukraine is also lacking in artillery ammo and counterbattery capabilities in that sector, particularly radar, and needs much more of what they have. That said, recent donations and arrivals are beginning to make up for the lack of ammo and equipment. A possible counterattack, if properly supplied and reinforced, according to him, is quite capable of reversing all of Russia's gains of the past nine months. :nms: for descriptions of casualties.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
noam can chomk on my dick

noamsayin'

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

CommieGIR posted:

Yes but the T-55 is easily defeated with far weaker anti-tank weapon systems versus, say, the T-80 or T-72.

Not really an upgrade.

And Russia has yet to show any improvement of their ability to operate armored vehicles in the field, making tanks a liability.

I'm guessing this tank is probably going to sit in a dugout and act as a static defense. I've seen pics of Russia doing that with other older tanks, Still vulnerable to drones but less so to Javelins or whatever, and ultimately is still an armored cannon.

I could be wrong though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gives a new meaning to 'manufacturing consent'

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What, Russia is experiencing a shortage of modern MBTs you say?

Shortage? What shortage? There's no shortage!

It's just Russia flexing; they''ll prove that the classic Soviet-era T-54/55 is superior to any of that super-gay modernised globo-homo NATO M-55S stuff Slovenia donated to the Ukronazis. YOU'LL SEE!

:ussr:

Deki posted:

I'm guessing this tank is probably going to sit in a dugout and act as a static defense. I've seen pics of Russia doing that with other older tanks, Still vulnerable to drones but less so to Javelins or whatever, and ultimately is still an armored cannon.

I could be wrong though.

This (along with poo poo-tier indirect-fire/artillery assignment) is most likely the case for their actual use, but ultimately it's still a T-55 which has been sitting around collecting dust for 40+ years; the armour on these things is still plain old RHA with gently caress-all else (empty eggboxes don't count) and might as well be plasticine when it comes to any sort of AT weapon from 1975 onward.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In some slightly more lighthearted news, a drunk driver was caught in The Netherlands and they presented a fake license.

The license looked like this:

https://nos.nl/l/2473396

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

zone posted:

Wonder what all of Chomsky's followers and hangers on are going to have to say about this.

lmao

Even Propagandhi stopped doing reductive AMERICA BAD!!! poo poo like 15 years ago. I guess the people not creative or interesting enough to get out of that mindset have just been sitting in that sewer of thought for decades and all they have left is people like him.

edit: But that's not really strange coming from a guy who collaborated with Edward S. Herman I suppose. Genocide denialists gonna genocide denial.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 30, 2023

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/BadBalticTakes/status/1652616613080846336

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Just look at this

quote:

Referring to what they saw as "the extreme unreliablity of refugee reports", they noted: "Refugees are frightened and defenseless, at the mercy of alien forces. They naturally tend to report what they believe their interlocutors wish to hear. While these reports must be considered seriously, care and caution are necessary. Specifically, refugees questioned by Westerners or Thais have a vested interest in reporting atrocities on the part of Cambodian revolutionaries, an obvious fact that no serious reporter will fail to take into account"

Perfidious as gently caress imho

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
interlocutors

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

What does that replacement actually look like, though? Russia can only exhume so many vehicles from its tank graveyards and it sounds like their manufacturing isn't particularly effective.

To save on cost, and probably because they couldn't make them domestically, a lot of the T-90's components were all imported from Europe. Which with all those sanctions is now a little tricky.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Just look at this

What the gently caress is this lmao, is that Chomsky handing it to the...khmer rouge???

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah he did that decades ago, when they were current events

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Thankfully he learned from his mistake and grew as a person so he'd never make any similar dumbass claims again.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Deki posted:

Thankfully he learned from his mistake and grew as a person so he'd never make any similar dumbass claims again.

NARRATOR [V/O]: Chomsky would, in fact, go on to make dumbass assertions again.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

noam can chomk on my dick

noamsayin'

A Tshirt isn't enough to do this justice. Maybe a bronze plaque or carved into the side of a mountain?

Momkeys Uncle
Sep 17, 2004
America's Most Wasted
Conflicting reports about a large explosion in Pavlohrad, Dnipro. A chemical plant exploded. One story is that it was storing ICBM rocket engines that were supposed to be recycled but that had been halted. 1,800 tons of rocket fuel. Other story is that the explosion was further away at a railyard and targeted an ammo depot. There are stupid stories about S-300s and air defense soldiers being destroyed but that's just nonsense jibber jabber.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Toxic Mental posted:

lol the supposed most frequently cited scholar in the world pathetically tried to :actually: away victim reports of genocide

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

There is a lot in the past I can defend Noam on but honestly I have to wonder what the gently caress is going through his head beyond dementia in regards to the war in Ukraine. He's been consistently wrong and doubles down on some real smooth brained takes that is completely at odds with other things he's said in the past.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There is a lot in the past I can defend Noam on but honestly I have to wonder what the gently caress is going through his head beyond dementia in regards to the war in Ukraine. He's been consistently wrong and doubles down on some real smooth brained takes that is completely at odds with other things he's said in the past.

Have you considered that America, is bad...?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Kraut did a great video on Chomsky's ardent defense of Serbia's perpetration of genocide. It really hit home how little I knew about him beyond his fabled "anti-imperialist" reputation, which was enough to make me assume back during the Iraq War that he seemed like a pretty okay dude. Unfortunately, it sure looks like he's an inveterate genocide apologist who'll speak up with anti-imperialist rhetoric when America is doing something bad, but will actively defend America's opponents for similar or ever plainly worse behavior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCcX_xTLDIY

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Roger Waters should do Comfortably Numb with Chomsky

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Uncomfortably dumb.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There was an interview with Keir Giles posted yesterday on the Silicon Curtain podcast which went into this habit of older academics/commentators.

Although he talked about Meirsheimer as the main example, it was about how some intellectuals who spend their professional life developing a theoretical model or just an overall outlook on how international relations work, become so emotionally and intellectually invested in their magnum opus, that they become psychologically willing to disregard facts and reality in order to defend it and insist it is still valid, rather than adapting it (or the way they think) to account for new evidence.

Its not even clear if they consciously know they are doing it, its just too difficult for them to admit to themselves that it might be them rather than the children who are wrong.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/DylanBurns1776/status/1652817482447568898

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lmao

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mokotow posted:

Roger Waters should do Comfortably Numb with Chomsky

to be fair, he would still do it better than Van fuckin' Morrison did

Momkeys Uncle
Sep 17, 2004
America's Most Wasted
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1652823205294252032

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1652820804743188480

Hopefully air defense will do it's job

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I'm sure Noam kept his underwear on, much like Alan Dershowitz

Noam Chomosky

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
They're really using up their entire arsenal aren't they.
In the dumbest way possible, shooting at civilian targets at 3 in the morning with zero followup.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

sauer kraut posted:

In the dumbest way possible, shooting at civilian targets at 3 in the morning with zero followup.

How much conventional ordinance can Russia even have left?

Do they think this is the strike for sure! :shepface: that will break Ukraine's will?

Everyone is insane in that regime, holy poo poo. Just one big Narcissistic meltdown, like the loving Russia-Japan War all over again

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
This has to be because they sincerely believe they can never actually really lose to Ukraine right?

"How could these mere untermenschen (insert the K word slur they use instead here if you want to be more accurate) possibly beat us? We won't lose, so let us waste tactical ammunition to commit warcrimes, which of course we do not see as warcrimes at all."

loving savages, demented fuckers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1652862654359166976

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gejnor posted:

This has to be because they sincerely believe they can never actually really lose to Ukraine right?

"How could these mere untermenschen (insert the K word slur they use instead here if you want to be more accurate) possibly beat us? We won't lose, so let us waste tactical ammunition to commit warcrimes, which of course we do not see as warcrimes at all."

loving savages, demented fuckers.

Their PGMs are at best 2/3rds their name on a good day. There was an article outlining some of the intelligence bottlenecks and delays due to red tape/inefficiency in the Russian command structure. Time from identifying a target to launching a missile could be up to a few days, so artillery, vehicles and even depos/command posts were moving too fast/often to hit (when they actually knew where they were).

Their missiles are too inaccurate and slow to arrive to affect the situation tactically, and they don't have enough or the precision to affect the situation strategically.

All they can do is warcrime.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

sebmojo posted:

Have you considered that America, is bad...?

poo poo I better post the entirety of google image search for "shocked realization gif"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...What is even the point of continuing this war?

It's an entire country committing economic/ generational suicide like Sweden in the 30 Years War. It's just a giant cultural temper tantrum.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

sauer kraut posted:

Now to be entirely fair the dumbest way possible was when they bombed their own city

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

It's an entire country committing economic/ generational suicide like Sweden in the 30 Years War. It's just a giant cultural temper tantrum.

Clearly, they have not been swayed that their default setting of murdering everyone in their imperial way is bad behavior and self-harm. I really don't think it's possible to change their minds on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:toot:

TulliusCicero posted:

Maybe Russia just has to push out the jive, before they can let in the love?

the jive is Putin, and the push needs to be out of a high window