Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
Hey all, I decided to try playing this again. Haven't played in over a year. Playing on PS5, started the game, no option to load my save game. Tried restarting the PS5 and redownloading the save from the cloud. Still nothing. At this point I decided okay, let's just try playing from start for a bit. Get to the point where I need to find sodium and the Interact button doesn't work. So I deleted the game and reinstalled, thinking maybe the game is not correct. Nope same thing and no save file to load. Anyone know or heard of this? This is not a ps4 transfer to Ps5 version issue. I transferred last year after upgraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I think once you learn the autotracking gimmick, all dogfighting is very trivialized. This is kind of a good thing because trying to dogfight legitimately isn't impossible or even necessarily difficult, it's just tedious as gently caress.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah now I’ve got missiles and I put my photon cannon in a juiced spot, plus I have an extra 50+% shield from mods and space fighting is easy peasy.

I might go anger some sentinels and see how I do this time.

What’s the best multi tool gun(s)? Bolt caster feels anemic versus things now.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Saxophone posted:

Yeah now I’ve got missiles and I put my photon cannon in a juiced spot, plus I have an extra 50+% shield from mods and space fighting is easy peasy.

I might go anger some sentinels and see how I do this time.

What’s the best multi tool gun(s)? Bolt caster feels anemic versus things now.

I'm personally fond of the pulse spitter, especially once you've got a few S-class mods on it. You have to get used to the initial muzzle lift when you start shooting but it's great for deleting smaller poo poo at mid range and very satisfying with slower moving big targets.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've always preferred the pulse splitter because it's the most fun. I make short work of anything with it.

Edit: :patriot:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Shotgun supremacy, plasma launcher secondary imo.

I was briefly lured to pulse and just dealing with the firehose aspect until I realized that the “burst” referenced on the shotgun upgrade “burst cooldown” seems to actually be a passive random “multiple shotgun shells will fire at once”, so you’ll be hitting for like an 8th of an armored sentinels’s health with one shot and it’ll be totally deleted the next because the burst proc’d, and if you fish for enough burst CD upgrades you can have it happen exceptionally frequently

Plasma launcher got nerfed with the original sentinel pillar update but that counterintuitively made it much more useful because you’re far less likely to accidentally delete yourself if you’re caught in the blast, especially now that there’s literally no inventory-space-related reason to not have all your exosuit core health/shield upgrades fitted

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I used the pulse spitter, until I tried the neutron cannon. It's the gift that keeps on giving. And what it gives is big, flaming balls. Balls of death.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Well hell, sounds like I’ll be giving those weapons the Pepsi challenge here soon then.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

boltcaster ftw

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Boltcaster is the only weapon that gets 6 modules, giving it the highest DPS iirc. The sentinel weapon mods only affect the boltcaster stats.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I love that you can see freighters this low now, or at least I dont remember seeing them like this

Also, came across this thing for the first time

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainSkinny posted:

Boltcaster is the only weapon that gets 6 modules, giving it the highest DPS iirc. The sentinel weapon mods only affect the boltcaster stats.

They’re the only ones that have an adjacency bonus with the sentinel mods, but I don’t think they’re the only ones affected by them. And raw dps on paper only matters if all your shots hit, so hope you like recoil for the bolt/pulse

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They’re the only ones that have an adjacency bonus with the sentinel mods, but I don’t think they’re the only ones affected by them. And raw dps on paper only matters if all your shots hit, so hope you like recoil for the bolt/pulse

I do actually. When I switch to playing call of duty I slice people vertically because I naturally start aiming down way too hard when I pull the trigger.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I haven't played the game for a while now - I think the last time I played, it was the Sentinel update. The one that let the Minotaur autopilot. There has been a lot added to the game since then, are the new features introduced organically? Or do you get overwhelmed with everything at once?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Anything that’s just “new things showing up in the overarching procgen pool” is effectively all at once, but anything that’s quest-triggered tends to have ineffable and unknowable things to make it show up.

I think the new “it’ll just be there” stuff for you of note is going to be:
- Freighter bases were upgraded with bigger/cooler parts, most of which require unlocking from the freighter terminal
- Inventories were increased, “cargo” inventory doesn’t exist anymore, tech can only be installed in “tech” inventory, supercharged slots in tech inventories increase the power/bonuses/damage of whatever’s in them.
- Outlaw systems now exist, with pirate space stations and ships with solar sails that look like star wars podracers
- Living frigates exist and can be obtained
- Corrupted sentinel planets exist, with a new ship type that 100% of people are flying nowadays because they’re sick as all hell
- Difficulty settings can be modified with stupid granularity now

As far as what will actually be thrown at you, I’m pretty sure the only new “quests” are
- A pirate quest that runs you around for a hood and cloak appearance
- (Possibly?) the quest to allow living frigates to start showing up

A lot of the dev time has been spent on the switch port, PSVR stuff, and general qol/graphics improvements so really it’s not as overwhelming as it might be otherwise

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I played this a while ago but got overwhelmed around the time I found a freighter. I lost whatever path I was supposed to be on among the freighter, space stations, the anomaly, etc. I genuinely I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing to advance... anything. I also got tired of the grind of having to talk to every alien everywhere.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Strictly speaking, learning languages is no more or less than an investment in making the multiple choice puzzle minigames that use them(mainly, manufacturing site puzzles) easier to guess at. Such minigames aren’t necessarily “better” for having better translation. The point of such games is to guess.

Generally speaking, both the appeal and alienating quality of NMS’ design is that there is really no particular thing that you absolutely must do in order to play, especially with things like custom difficulties increasing or decreasing reliance on, eg, basic crafting minigames.

It’s all designed that you move toward whatever aspect of the game is fun to you at any given time with relatively little friction: Language-learning, crafting, interstellar trade, smuggling, piracy and “faction” taskwork, planetary base construction, scientific survey and exploration, simple ground combat and dogfights, “idle gaming” through freighter and settler management, collecting and upgrading vehicles and equipment.

Each and any of these minigames can be more or less ignored in favor of other design aspects, or put on ice to be picked up again later with no real penalty. No one progression mechanic, be it credit-, nanite-, or element-based, wholly relies on any single minigame (though you can make it such that it does). There are like two or three very minor base advisor quests (scientific, combat and exocraft iirc?) which run on fairly generous timers, but can always be restarted. That’s about it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 30, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's been a while since i did any manufacturies, but a lot of them aren't puzzles or guesses, the computer just straight up tells you what's happening and what you should do/give it, so knowing elements and actions in other languages helps quite a bit with getting positive results consistently.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I wish there was an automated way to get Ferrite Dust for megaprojects :smith:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

get in an interceptor, put a positron ejector with some s-class mods on it and start blapping tiny rocks while you calmly hang in the air. good for carbon too.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

There are some dead planets where you can set up rusted metal mines.
Just set up a few refiners there, pop in, collect the stuff you put in the refiners last time and refill from the silos for next run.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

All of the biome metals are extractable and all of them will burn down to ferrite dust in a refiner. So, paraffinium from paradise planets, pyrite from desert planets, uranium from radioactive planets, ammonia from toxic planets, phosphorus from burning planets, dioxite from cold planets - stick any of them into your backpack refiner and it'll burn down while you're doing whatever else.

Though maybe the best is rusted metal from airless worlds, which generally has no other purpose.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Zodium posted:

get in an interceptor, put a positron ejector with some s-class mods on it and start blapping tiny rocks while you calmly hang in the air. good for carbon too.

This isn't any more efficient than standing on an extremely rock-heavy world and just holding down the mining laser.

Glazius posted:

All of the biome metals are extractable and all of them will burn down to ferrite dust in a refiner. So, paraffinium from paradise planets, pyrite from desert planets, uranium from radioactive planets, ammonia from toxic planets, phosphorus from burning planets, dioxite from cold planets - stick any of them into your backpack refiner and it'll burn down while you're doing whatever else.

OgNar posted:

There are some dead planets where you can set up rusted metal mines.
Just set up a few refiners there, pop in, collect the stuff you put in the refiners last time and refill from the silos for next run.

These have promise though!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ironically, if you really want to abuse the game, put down extractors on magnetized ferrite spots. Since you can refine magnetized ferrite back into pure ferrite, you can fill up your inventory with obscene amounts of both in short order.

Then you really only need ferrite dust itself, and that you can easily supply with stuff, like others have said, that can be refined into ferrite dust.

Without the need to refine ferrite dust into the better stuff, you're basically cutting down the amount of extracting you need to do by a huge amount.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's the dust that I'm bored of harvesting, though tbh I'm nearly done with the project. Might just slap down some rusted metal mines for the rest of it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's the dust that I'm bored of harvesting, though tbh I'm nearly done with the project. Might just slap down some rusted metal mines for the rest of it.

To be honest, since so much stuff refines into ferrite dust, the only stuff I keep running out of during my own mega-projects are silver and gold. From everything else I tend to have absolute bonkers amounts of stuff, but gold and silver aren't among the elements I constantly need, so I tend to forget them until one big project runs me out of my entire inventory. And while I can just hose down the nearby environment to get some tiny amounts of carbon or ferrite I'm still missing, silver and gold are harder to get.

Any amount needed means it's time again to make the rounds among my refining and extraction farms to top myself up.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Seconding the positron ejector method, strafing ground clutter with the space shotgun can give you full stacks of ferrite dust and carbon very quickly.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

3 posted:

Seconding the positron ejector method, strafing ground clutter with the space shotgun can give you full stacks of ferrite dust and carbon very quickly.

The key is to find a planet with smaller sized rocks that are everywhere. Airless worlds are usually great for it, and that's why I've never had a problem stocking ferrite dust if needed.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Wait, what? I have to upgrade my inventory slots again? On the same save file? There are a lot of technology upgrades I can't install in my suit now because there isn't room.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Not really again, just more slots are possible now. And you cant double up on upgrades anymore, unfortunately. So if you have movement upgrades in tech and inventory, just pick the best 3.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Inventory slots for ship/inventory/multitool/freighter are given out very freely doing station missions now also.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Ok, thanks for the information.

What about accessing your freighter cargo while on foot? Unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't see a way to do that now? My fleet is orbiting the same planet as me, and I have the 0 through 9 cargo rooms installed on my freighter.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

You should be able to see the unlock for it from your freighter console.
You occasionally get upgrades from missions when you send them out.
Might take a couple for them to find one though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That is something I hadn't really thought of, that it probably makes the beginning game a lot harder when you can't just fill 3/4 of your starting slots with tech.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

OgNar posted:

You should be able to see the unlock for it from your freighter console.
You occasionally get upgrades from missions when you send them out.
Might take a couple for them to find one though.

It is unlocked and already placed.

I swear it used to be as easy as navigating to your cargo tab, and hitting dpad left or right to access your numbered storage.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 2, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Node posted:

It is unlocked and already placed.

I swear it used to be as easy as navigating to your cargo tab, and hitting dpad left or right to access your numbered storage.

It still is, once you have the teleporter tech constructed in your frieghter's tech tab

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They really need to let us refine activated elements to their regular versions, even if it’s at a massive loss. I have like 3 9,999 stacks of activated indium doing nothing but could really use normal indium without having to drag my rear end to a green star system.

It’s not even worth selling with how many credits I have. :shepface:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

They really need to let us refine activated elements to their regular versions

:hmmyes:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Do Automated Mining Units only ever extract activated metals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do Automated Mining Units only ever extract activated metals?

activated or not-activated is a property of the planet you're on (specifically, usually, "how bad the weather is"), so they can do both but you'll need to go to a different planet to get the non-activated version of whatever you're looking for