Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Is there a way, third party tools or not, to preview a hairstyle you don't have on your character? Contemplating grabbing the Gyr Abanian Plait during the mogtomes event but I don't want to spend 50 tomes on a haircut if I end up not liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yes, there are third part tools that allow this

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

YggiDee posted:

Yes, there are third part tools that allow this

and they are...

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

quiggy posted:

and they are...

Anamnesis will be the most user friendly and easiest for your purposes!

Also totally feel you, it looks god awful on highlandude because of the side bang

E: just don't interact with the hairdresser while you're testing out hair with third party tools, It sends data back to the servers so if something is *hinky* its a red flag.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 30, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Anamnesis will be the most user friendly and easiest for your purposes!

Also totally feel you, it looks god awful on highlandude because of the side bang

E: just don't interact with the hairdresser while you're testing out hair with third party tools, It sends data back to the servers so if something is *hinky* its a red flag.

Kk, thanks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Our FC doesn't stay super current with Extremes, we've been holding off on Barb until most of the people in our small FC had gotten the mounts from the first three trials. That's now done, so we finally started Barb last night. That fight is quite fun but some parts are pretty hectic. But on our final pull of the night we managed to get her down, although most of our group was dead besides like one tank, healer and DPS. But we got her AND the mount dropped! :toot:

Here's our extremely good looking crew

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Criterion should be an additional source of relic prog

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RME posted:

Criterion should be an additional source of relic prog

It already gives astrology tomes though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macaluso posted:

Our FC doesn't stay super current with Extremes, we've been holding off on Barb until most of the people in our small FC had gotten the mounts from the first three trials. That's now done, so we finally started Barb last night. That fight is quite fun but some parts are pretty hectic. But on our final pull of the night we managed to get her down, although most of our group was dead besides like one tank, healer and DPS. But we got her AND the mount dropped! :toot:

Here's our extremely good looking crew

Gratz. That EX throws a lot of people because it's much busier than other EXes this tier. The others are kinda slow and deliberate, you get one mechanic at a time (though that might be 2 or 3 things on top of each other to find the safe spot) and then set up for the next one. Instead Barb is constantly throwing stuff at you and if you mess something up you better not flinch because you need to be watching for the next one. Not many chances to blink.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It already gives astrology tomes though

Sorry I’ll be more explicit about it. You should be able to turn in the currency you get from completing criterion dungeons into the relic mats at a vendor, in addition to the usual tomestone method.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
This keeps happening. :allears:
https://twitter.com/daintyprotag/status/1652523306841432068?t=UG7moFtpwaWSJ4iDz7GJ7Q&s=19

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Double post, but this is too interesting to just put in an edit:

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1652881913064071169?t=ZHwUyXs_h4aznZB9pGS7eQ&s=19

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I hope Zero stays forever and they start having her pause in the middle of sentences to do that hat tug emote instead of just doing it before every sentence.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

theironjef posted:

I hope Zero stays forever and they start having her pause in the middle of sentences to do that hat tug emote instead of just doing it before every sentence.

It really is like every time she speaks isn't it

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It really is like every time she speaks isn't it

Often times when she doesn't too. It's like her thinking pose, or Briarden's glasses adjustment.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maybe G'raha can lend her a couple of bobby pins to help keep her hat in place

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah i get what they're going for but she does it way too often for it to land for the player correctly (unless it's supposed to read slightly overdramatic, but that seems out of step). i feel like she's already done it more times than the emet-selch wave, which i thought was just about the perfect balance of repeating a gesture enough times to be a characterizing bit for someone without making it feel stock or repetitive (it helps that it had an entire x.0 expansion to play out over, of course, and then only got called back to for actual impact several patches later).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Maybe she just needs someone to re-tailor her hat so it doesn't keep sliding up and force her to readjust it.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Cleretic posted:

Maybe she just needs someone to re-tailor her hat so it doesn't keep sliding up and force her to readjust it.

A chin strap?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Valentin posted:

yeah i get what they're going for but she does it way too often for it to land for the player correctly (unless it's supposed to read slightly overdramatic, but that seems out of step). i feel like she's already done it more times than the emet-selch wave, which i thought was just about the perfect balance of repeating a gesture enough times to be a characterizing bit for someone without making it feel stock or repetitive (it helps that it had an entire x.0 expansion to play out over, of course, and then only got called back to for actual impact several patches later).

It absolutely is meant to be read as slightly overdramatic imo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's a deliberately exaggerated gesture to try and infuse more character into her, which isn't a bad choice to make for a medium like FFXIV where mocapping new actions and emotions on-the-fly is expensive and the timeframe they have to build her up is limited. It's something Kurosawa liked to do a lot in his films, and which Mifune was especially good at: each actor picks a specific, identifiable gesture that they repeat throughout the film to act as a cipher for their general mood and character, like Sanjuro's weary shoulder shrugging, which helps to make them more identifiable.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 1, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also she looks cool doing it. but also makes her look kind of shy. which is cute. i like her.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vermain posted:

It's a deliberately exaggerated gesture to try and infuse more character into her, which isn't a bad choice to make for a medium like FFXIV where mocapping new actions and emotions on-the-fly is expensive and the timeframe they have to build her up is limited. It's something Kurosawa liked to do a lot in his films, and which Mifune was especially good at: each actor picks a specific, identifiable gesture that they repeat throughout the film to act as a cipher for their general mood and character, like Sanjuro's weary shoulder shrugging, which helps to make them more identifiable.

It's also really helpful because of how emotionally muted and unexpressive Zero is; I genuinely can't name a single time she's changed facial expression. The hat-tip sort of indicates emotional response without emotional expression, which a character like her sorely needs.

It's like a gesture equivalent of when a video game character just responds with a '...'; indicating that she has some sort of emotional response to this, just not explicitly what.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

It's also really helpful because of how emotionally muted and unexpressive Zero is; I genuinely can't name a single time she's changed facial expression. The hat-tip sort of indicates emotional response without emotional expression, which a character like her sorely needs.

It's like a gesture equivalent of when a video game character just responds with a '...'; indicating that she has some sort of emotional response to this, just not explicitly what.

She smiled after eating the Buuz, I think.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Getting ahead in the Heavensward MSQ finally. Holy poo poo Ishgard sucks. Why did we save them from dragons

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Because we need their knights to fight the Empire, of course. Also Aymeric is so dreamy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If we didn't help them make peace with the dragons then we could not have hosed dragons. It's a trade off, tit for tat.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I caught both Ruby Dragon and Dammroen Herring yesterday, and it's kind of funny how much more aggravating the loving herring was despite having 100% uptime. Never before have I wanted to spike a fish like a football after finally getting it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

goblin week posted:

Getting ahead in the Heavensward MSQ finally. Holy poo poo Ishgard sucks. Why did we save them from dragons

because ff14 is a game that believes everyone deserves a second chance.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lots of people who aren't rich jackasses also die from a war so ending it is probably a net plus.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We saved them so I could have my dream house overlooking an infinite chasm with no neighbors.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Thundarr posted:

I caught both Ruby Dragon and Dammroen Herring yesterday, and it's kind of funny how much more aggravating the loving herring was despite having 100% uptime. Never before have I wanted to spike a fish like a football after finally getting it.

I think a strength of the rare-uptime fish is that they're straight-up just not around long enough for you to really work up a temper about it.

Cinder Surprise is catchable for six minutes, in windows several days apart. That feels really bullshit to hear, but in practice it means that you likely only really care about the thing for, at most, maybe twenty minutes a week when accounting for prep time, with only a fraction of that involving actually grappling with the low odds. You're just not really thinking about Cinder Surprise often enough to really get mad about it.

In contrast, consider the Magic Bucket, which is always available at a specific hole, but with really low odds. Sure, you can invest however much time you want at any time you want, but it's still going to take a lot of time, and it's time you're naturally going to put consecutively. And god, it is loving INFURIATING to try to catch it, because you're just stewing in that lovely RNG for hours on end.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

goblin week posted:

I'm in Shadowbringers. This does not stop.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not condemning an entire culture based on the actions of a few people is going to be a recurring character trait for the WoL.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cleretic posted:

In contrast, consider the Magic Bucket, which is always available at a specific hole, but with really low odds. Sure, you can invest however much time you want at any time you want, but it's still going to take a lot of time, and it's time you're naturally going to put consecutively. And god, it is loving INFURIATING to try to catch it, because you're just stewing in that lovely RNG for hours on end.

I caught Magic Bucket twice. On purpose, even.

Another benefit of the super rare uptime fish is that there's usually other people trying to catch it so you've got people to chatter with, congratulate if they get it, or congratulate you if you get it. There usually isn't anybody else nearby to commiserate with when some always-up rear end in a top hat fish escapes for the 30th time (like that drat herring).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Not condemning an entire culture based on the actions of a few people is going to be a recurring character trait for the WoL.

Just give them an rear end in a top hat to punch and everything just kind of works itself out from there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq5xn2w1wdU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

goblin week posted:

Since you are in Heavensward, if you haven't already, you might want to pick up Dark Knight. Just saying.

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

After years of playing solo and declining hundreds of random FC invites, I had to accept this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cleretic posted:

I think a strength of the rare-uptime fish is that they're straight-up just not around long enough for you to really work up a temper about it.

Cinder Surprise is catchable for six minutes, in windows several days apart. That feels really bullshit to hear, but in practice it means that you likely only really care about the thing for, at most, maybe twenty minutes a week when accounting for prep time, with only a fraction of that involving actually grappling with the low odds. You're just not really thinking about Cinder Surprise often enough to really get mad about it.

Cinder Surprise will be the death of me, I swear.

There was one period with the window being forty days apart.