Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Newbie question, I've seen recommendations online to leave all your drives except your preferred boot drive disconnected when installing windows on a new PC, since the installer can be wonky and arbitrarily decide where it installs the OS. Is this correct?

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

mila kunis posted:

Newbie question, I've seen recommendations online to leave all your drives except your preferred boot drive disconnected when installing windows on a new PC, since the installer can be wonky and arbitrarily decide where it installs the OS. Is this correct?

Thats what i do just to be sure i know what drive its going on. Its mostly an issue when you have identical drives or drive sizes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I almost always do it. It's just safer, even if a fuckup isn't likely. It makes it so you can't screw it up from user error. It makes it so the installer can't go nuts. And it's real easy to do, cheap insurance.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Roumba posted:

I have a 2nd CPU_FAN connection port on my MB (at least, I'm 99% sure that what CPU_OPT is for). My question is: is it better for the rear-exhaust fan right behind the cpu heatsink to be connected there or would the chassis fan port be "better" for it? (CPU heatsink = AK620, exhaust fan = Fractal Silent R2)

My setup has 3 other intake fans on the front/bottom if that matters at all.

The CPU_OPT will use the same fan curve as the CPU header. If your rear exhaust has very different specs (size, RPM) from your CPU fans you should put the rear exhaust on it's own header, but if they're similar it's not going to matter much.

Jinnigan posted:

How does this look, for my friend who's mostly goign to be playing XCOM2 at 1080p?

We'll be using my old 3700x and hopefully upgrade to a 5800x3D in a year or two

If you don't already have some case fans to use you'll need a couple as the P300a only comes with an exhaust.

Squido posted:

Hello everyone, you have kindly helped me with my last 3 or 4 builds and I come to you here again in my time of need.

What country are you in? UK
Do you live near Microcenter? lol
What are you using the system for? Everything :( Mostly gaming but also video editing, blender, unity, image editing and any other weird bullshit that one likes to use their pc for. I do tend to play a lot of sim-heavy games but really the full gamut. Have a bad habit of modding the poo poo of of games as well (bye bye ram)
What's your budget? around 3 grand but up to 4 if I am drunk when reading your reply
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p 144hz, though I do have 2-3 other monitors plugged in most of the time, but not gaming on them. I also have a HP Reverb G2 so that's 2160x2160 x 2 @90hz

I dunno wtf i am doin so please go easy on me but this is what i've come up with so far:

I went back and forth on the processor and might change it to a 7800x3d, I guess it mostly depends on how much I decide I need the performance in non-gaming tasks, and also how much I trust windows not to gently caress up the 7950x3d core switchy on/off magic bullshit? The 4090 is overkill for the monitor(s) but I am thinking of upgrading that. Also might be a good idea for VR in like MSFS for example? especially if a headset upgrade comes along. Although it is stupid expensive i've been a little underwhelmed by the other gpu options, does it particularly matter which partner card one gets? I loved my previous Fractal Define case but have heard chat of them not being up to it thermally speaking so the Meshify 2 seemed good, XL might not be needed though I do have a shitload of sata ssd's and hdd's that have life left. I have looked around for a Liquid freezer ii 360 but they seem to be out of stock everywhere, so took a punt on something else. Still got lots of research to do and have learned a fair amount today but keen to get input to steer me in the right direction. Also sorry i've not really vetted the vendor list, i'll probably end up mostly buying from Scan and Amazon. TELL ME HOW MUCH OF AN IDIOT I AM thankyou for your time

The only thing I'd question is the case. How many drives are you really planning on bringing over? The Lian Li Lancool II Mesh can support something like 6 2.5" drives and 4 3.5" drives as well as being a somewhat better case for cooling than the Meshify 2 XL. The Lancool III Mesh can support even more drives, but I don't know what availability is like in the EU.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mila kunis posted:

ZombieCrew posted:

Thats what i do just to be sure i know what drive its going on. Its mostly an issue when you have identical drives or drive sizes.

I'd say it's mostly an issue if you have another drive that had a Windows install on it and the installer decides that's where the bootloader should live. It's fixable and just a minor headache, but happens.

Personally I stopped disconnecting drives years ago - both Windows and Linux installers have gotten way better about this kind of thing. But it certainly doesn't hurt to be extra careful.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
Thanks for the words fellas

grack posted:

but I don't know what availability is like in the EU.

brexit burned :cry:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Thanks for all the help with the 7700x build last month. We built it up and my friend is thrilled with it!

I'm now putting together a build for another friend. I've lurked here look enough that I think this is a pretty typical high-ish end build here, but I have a few questions I want to clear up before recommending it.

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Vast majority gaming, including sim games and such. Some professional work, but anything here will cover it easily, so gaming is the focus
What's your budget? Pretty unconstrained, but I'm shooting for 2000-2500 or so
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Bad now, but will upgrade independent of this budget

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($814.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $2035.84

1) Is that power supply ATX 3.0? I see it on the PSU tier list that was linked before as an A tier, but nowhere there or on the listing does it mention ATX 3.0
2) Is a 4070 Ti fast enough for this build? I think we could go 4080, but that card seems pretty underwhelming and a 4090 is a big step from that. Is the MSI cooler decent this generation?
3) Is that SSD fast enough? We can spend more there, but I've read that anything beyond that is subject to pretty diminishing returns.
4) Memory timings -- 6000 cl 30 still the way to go for Ryzen?
5) I see now that I picked the Peerless Assassin 120 (non-SE). Should I find an SE?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 1, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Grumpwagon posted:

1) Is that power supply ATX 3.0? I see it on the PSU tier list that was linked before as an A tier, but nowhere there or on the listing does it mention ATX 3.0
2) Is a 4070 Ti fast enough for this build? I think we could go 4080, but that card seems pretty underwhelming and a 4090 is a big step from that. Is the MSI cooler decent this generation?
3) Is that SSD fast enough? We can spend more there, but I've read that anything beyond that is subject to pretty diminishing returns.
5) I see now that I picked the Peerless Assassin 120 (non-SE). Should I find an SE?

1: no, the PCPP page has:

quote:

PCIe 12+4-Pin 12VHPWR Connectors

2: All the 40-series coolers seem way overbuilt. 4070Ti in general seems like the best option if you don't want to spring for a 4090 since the 4080's price is awful (and likely exists just to drive people to the 4090)
3: Outside of video editing work and a couple other specialized workloads, most people can't even tell SATA vs NVMe SSDs, let alone different NVMe drives. I wouldn't worry about it.

The other two I'll leave for people more knowledgeable about those parts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looks like the $100 steam gift card promo with purchase of 40-series GPUs at Micro Center has ended, bummer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

1. No. The listings I've seen state 2.92 spec for that PSU
2. Yes, probably. Coolers tend to be very overbuilt for the 4000 series, it should be fine.
3. The SN770 is plenty fast for everything that's listed.
4. Yes, but don't enable EXPO until there's a verified working BIOS for that board. Gigabyte has hosed up their BIOSes this generation and have a habit of reporting the wrong voltages.
5. The non-SE has a couple of extra fins, but the difference between the two versions probably won't matter. Just make sure the listing states that the cooler has AM5 compatibility.

grack fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 2, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Are there any specific brands or models of NVMe SSDs to seek out or avoid, or has the gulf in SSD quality/lifespan mostly been evened out in the last decade?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Samsung 980 Pro, and if that's outside your pricerange, the WD Blue SN570 is a very budget-friendly option.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Hello! I'm in the market for a new system but this time around I'm absolutely not interested in putting it together myself. Does anyone have recommendations for a company putting together well-built premade systems? I have a budget ~$2k US and I'm not near a Microcenter.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The Samsung 980 Pro

Is there a use case for the heatsink add-on? This will be almost exclusively for gaming in a full-size case with a lot of airflow.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is there a use case for the heatsink add-on? This will be almost exclusively for gaming in a full-size case with a lot of airflow.

It's for the PS5 mainly, if it's going in your PC there's really no point

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blowjob Overtime posted:

No, SSDs like to be warm when operating anyway.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Is there any real difference with specific 4070ti (say) cards? Like some are 200 or so quid different in price, is there really a justification for that? Also, do these things ever go on offer (in the UK?)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No, there is never any tangible difference between different cards of the same GPU aside from cooling performance. Just get the base-price card with the biggest cooler that's practical for your use case.

Subjunctive posted:

nand flash does, but controllers do not. many of the fastest gen 4 SSDs and almost all gen 5 SSDs do encounter thermal throttling if they have no heatsink and receive no airflow, but this is generally not a major problem in a computer case, and the vast majority of SSD heatsinks are gimmicks. Still, I have my SN850 under the biggest stock heatsink my motherboard offers because that one can certainly get a little toasty.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 1, 2023

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Looking to build a new computer after about 7 years with a disappointing rig.

• What country are you in? :911:
  • Do you live near Microcenter? No
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming, software dev, audio recording and editing
  • What's your budget? 2000 USD
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 2K @ 60

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($320.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($82.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($128.28 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *XFX Speedster MERC 310 Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card ($793.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Logitech G613 Wireless Standard Keyboard ($72.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $1984.12

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The Samsung 980 Pro, and if that's outside your pricerange, the WD Blue SN570 is a very budget-friendly option.

change my name posted:

It's for the PS5 mainly, if it's going in your PC there's really no point

Subjunctive posted:

:tipshat:

The reason I'm asking is to start putting together some deal alerts with the intent of eventually upgrading most of my PC in a month or so. Is the 990 pro still new enough it's not worth the price difference compared to a 980 pro?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:tipshat:

The reason I'm asking is to start putting together some deal alerts with the intent of eventually upgrading most of my PC in a month or so. Is the 990 pro still new enough it's not worth the price difference compared to a 980 pro?
The 990 Pro is only a marginal change in terms of bandwidth and IOPS, the controller and non-volatile flash technology is exactly the same, so far as I know.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

Hello! I'm in the market for a new system but this time around I'm absolutely not interested in putting it together myself. Does anyone have recommendations for a company putting together well-built premade systems? I have a budget ~$2k US and I'm not near a Microcenter.

I haven't used them personally for building PCs but the people at Central Computers seem to mostly be competent, and don't charge too much for the build. They're local to the SF Bay Area but I'm fairly sure you can get it shipped.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is this the right thread for troubleshooting? This is the build I went with (https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mnbswc), won't POST or show any display.

The motherboard debug LED is solid red at the BOOT display, which according to the manual "indicates the booting device is not detected or failed". I've tried a few things I've seen online (CMOS reset, using the flash bios button to update, power cycling) but no dice.

edit: problem was bad HDMI cable. oops!

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 3, 2023

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Back with another problem with this build. So I managed to get it to power on... sort of. It no longer shorts out whenever I press the ON switch. I updated the BIOS and also discovered that the old SATA cables I was trying to re-use from my old build were shorting out the system. So those are fixed and replaced.

But now when I turn on my PC the monitor says "No signal". I've double checked all of my cables. Ensured the correct output HDMI setting is correct. HDMI cable is plugged into the GPU. Re-seated the RAM sticks and GPU. I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone see any problems with the way that plugged the PCIe cables into my RX 6700? I have one cable plugged in from my PSU (8-pin) into my GPU (8+6 pin). It's plugged into my PSU's "PCIe/CPU" 8-pin plug.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 4, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think I sent my RMA motherboard in with the mounting bracket still attached, and they sent it back without one :negative:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I want to buy a new PC, but dont want to go tru the hassle of building it up again so im just looking at premades and came across this

Cpu Gamer Ryzen 7 5700X + RTX 3060
RTX 3060 12gb video card
16gb dual Chanel 3600mhz
SSD 512Gb m.2 Nvme

for 1,115 USD

It looks like a decent deal to me, but I thought I would ask the experts. What do you all think?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Build thread I need some advice. I was going to route a LAN cable through my walls/attic and make it so there isn't a 50-foot tripping hazard that crosses a hall and into where my workstation is, but now I'm just considering a WiFi motherboard.

I have a Ryzen 5 5600x CPU. Should I just go to Newegg and sort by the socket and filter WiFi on? How is online gaming with built-in WiFi on motherboards these days?

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
https://www.ibuypower.com/store/gam...0a800cf0a82b836

Any opinions on this pre-built? Seems like a decent way to get a 4080 with strong specs all around. I would want more storage but otherwise everything seems strong, but I'm afraid I'm missing something. As always, you tech goons are doing gods work and deserve all the praise and gratitude one can muster.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

babypolis posted:

I want to buy a new PC, but dont want to go tru the hassle of building it up again so im just looking at premades and came across this

Cpu Gamer Ryzen 7 5700X + RTX 3060
RTX 3060 12gb video card
16gb dual Chanel 3600mhz
SSD 512Gb m.2 Nvme

for 1,115 USD

It looks like a decent deal to me, but I thought I would ask the experts. What do you all think?

I can't tell if this deal is still alive but yours for 1100 is no a good price at all.

Lenovo IdeaCentre 5i Desktop: RTX 3060, i5-12400, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD $700 + Free Shipping

fake edit: actually it looks like its still live,

https://www.antonline.com/Lenovo/Co...ta=MXxOfDB8WXww

I wouldn't pay $1100 for that but $700 is much better.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is it possible that with an under powered PSU that everything could work but not at full potential?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

codo27 posted:

Is it possible that with an under powered PSU that everything could work but not at full potential?

Probably not. It should just shut down if the load goes too high.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Given that you can undervolt CPUs and GPUs to use less power, it is certainly possible to use an anemic PSU with a too-powerful system. I don’t know if that is what the original question was, but it does satisfy the conditions.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Any opinions on this pre-built? Seems like a decent way to get a 4080 with strong specs all around. I would want more storage but otherwise everything seems strong, but I'm afraid I'm missing something. As always, you tech goons are doing gods work and deserve all the praise and gratitude one can muster.

That case is a POS and it's going to be loud as hell under load due to the awful airflow. Don't buy it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

ibuypower has inconsistent build quality. They're usually cheaper than the alternatives, but you need to be ready to troubleshoot potential problems that may have occurred during the build process or shipping. The price here is about $300 more than what you'd pay if you bought the parts separately and built the system yourself, which is a fairly normal low-tier prebuilt premium I guess.

Anyway, a 13700K + 4080 with 32GB of DDR5-5600 would be a very fast gaming PC, yes. Looking around, another deal I'm seeing is this PC from ABS (Newegg's house brand) for $100 cheaper, with a 7700X + 4080. The 7700X is basically equivalent to the 13700K in gaming but a little slower in multithreaded non-gaming tasks. ABS also has inconsistent build quality, so as with all these other cheap prebuilt companies, you need to check their work upon receiving the PC.

edit: The H710 case the ibuypower pc is using isn't great, though it's not a total piece of poo poo. Though I do think that PC will probably be a bit louder than the newegg ABS PC.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I can't tell if this deal is still alive but yours for 1100 is no a good price at all.

Lenovo IdeaCentre 5i Desktop: RTX 3060, i5-12400, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD $700 + Free Shipping

fake edit: actually it looks like its still live,

https://www.antonline.com/Lenovo/Co...ta=MXxOfDB8WXww

I wouldn't pay $1100 for that but $700 is much better.

Well you gotta pay a big premium for these things because of shipping, handling, and taxes here in Mexico which is were im assuming the price difference is coming from. Like the one you linked wont ship here

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

For a new PC, is it better to start with a fresh install of Windows 11 or is it ok to migrate the old PC’s Windows 10 hard drive to the new PC and do the upgrade afterwards doing the PC Health Check?

I’m dreading having to reinstall all the apps on the new PC with all the settings and configurations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

medchem posted:

For a new PC, is it better to start with a fresh install of Windows 11 or is it ok to migrate the old PC’s Windows 10 hard drive to the new PC and do the upgrade afterwards doing the PC Health Check?

I’m dreading having to reinstall all the apps on the new PC with all the settings and configurations.

I haven’t installed windows since XP on my main rig.

Just update.

Maybe win 7 was fresh

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Time for me to finally replace my 4770k machine with something new. Here's what I'm contemplating, any input appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X670E PG Lightning ATX AM5 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1228.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-03 22:32 EDT-0400

I've got a Nvidia 3060 that I'll be migrating over.

What country are you in? :911:
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Games, a bit of photo editing, some webdev / other nerd poo poo
What's your budget? ~$1500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920x1200 Mostly play things like Civ6, Cities Skylines, Kerbal Space Program

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Every step of this process has been cursed. I got Windows installed but after running the AMD driver auto install stuff, the computer boots from BIOS to a happy blue “HDMI no signal” screen.

e: comical power cycling got me into safe mode :toot:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

There is no salvation. Every part of this cursed process is a comedy of errors. The motherboard, RAM, and now apparently GPU have all been faulty. The CPU technically hasn’t been broken yet but I did have to replace the cooler due to my own idiocy. Even “safe mode with networking” is broken; it won’t recognize the Ethernet cable.

Unless the PSU is the problem and it’s not giving the GPU enough power to run except when the GPU is running basic windows drivers??