Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Firebert posted:

Top performing DH list on d0nkey.top plays a BIG DEMON package, I gotta take this for a spin later. Glorious!

https://www.d0nkey.top/decks?player_class=DEMONHUNTER

It's a neat list - 5-1 with it so far, though I just got destroyed by a warrior dropping a bigger taunt than my biggest demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
But I do really like hitting diamond 5 every month. A free epic definitely helps fill out the collection slowly over time.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GTO posted:

Diamond 5 to legend is often as much effort as bronze to d5. I'd chill and enjoy Dad Legend.

this, assuming you don't have 11* bonus

the only reason to push yourself to Legend every month is if you have 11* bonus since you get 2 stars per win but only -1 per loss in the d5-Legend bracket

the lack of Win Streaks in D5+ is so crippling

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The perks for ranking suck, have always sucked, and for some reason they don't make a new Legend card back for each season. Ranking in Wild should offer different stuff, but nope. Ranking is dumb. Get Legend once, get the card back you'll never use, and move on with your life.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Do you enjoy thinky difficult decks? Do you love Ragnaros the Firelord? Do you want to OTK people with a board full of Raganos?

### Ragnaros Shaman
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 1x (1) Command the Elements
# 2x (1) Flowrider
# 2x (1) Investment Opportunity
# 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
# 2x (1) Overdraft
# 2x (1) Windchill
# 2x (2) Ancestral Knowledge
# 2x (2) Perpetual Flame
# 2x (3) Elemental Destruction
# 1x (3) Jazz Bass
# 2x (3) Lightning Storm
# 1x (3) Photographer Fizzle
# 2x (3) Spirit of the Frog
# 1x (3) Zentimo
# 2x (5) Altered Chord
# 1x (5) JIVE, INSECT!
# 1x (8) Criminal Lineup
#
AAEBAaoIBsuFA8L2A6vtBJ3FBcjQBazRBQy8FIyFA/DUA/rsA/CFBNySBPmfBP2fBL7QBcTQBb+eBuaeBgAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Jeza posted:

Honestly, if there was an elegant way to explain this, it would make keyword sense and be kinda perfect. Can't discover cards that aren't new, AKA cards that started in your deck or cards you've discovered once already. Would limit the bullshit without being crippling.

We literally just watched Pandaren Importer get nerfed because this type of effect can make certain options basically guaranteed if the pool isn’t big enough.

Discover is cool and good. The issues with it almost always occur because they didn’t entirely consider the full range of the pool.

I mean, when was the last time you played Classic, where you get 30 cards to work with and that’s your lot?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

bravesword posted:

We literally just watched Pandaren Importer get nerfed because this type of effect can make certain options basically guaranteed if the pool isn’t big enough.

Discover is cool and good. The issues with it almost always occur because they didn’t entirely consider the full range of the pool.

I mean, when was the last time you played Classic, where you get 30 cards to work with and that’s your lot?

Classic is boring because it’s a solved, unchanging meta; not because it doesn’t have discover effects. There was a lot more skill involved in the game back before everyone’s hands were constantly being filled with randomly generated crap. Not saying we shouldn’t have any discover effects, the mechanic is fine as is; it’s just overused.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

GTO posted:

Diamond 5 to legend is often as much effort as bronze to d5. I'd chill and enjoy Dad Legend.

hit Diamond 5 today and a few losses later I've decided that yeah i think i'm good lmao

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I think I'm gonna take a swing at getting to D5 over today and tomorrow but not gonna try too hard. I've realized that the decks I make don't really quite work because I'm missing most of the legendaries that push them over the top

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Do you enjoy thinky difficult decks? Do you love Ragnaros the Firelord? Do you want to OTK people with a board full of Raganos?

I ran into this deck with my menagerie warrior earlier and was only saved because my wide rear end board could take a few hits and not have Rag punch my face

Definitely wasn't expecting what this deck ended up doing lol

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

Hit Diamond for the first time with Totem Shaman yesterday and I'm debating whether or not I want to attempt to trudge my way to legend in the next 2 days (basically 1 because of work)

dad legend climb at the end of the month usually sucks because it's filled with sweaty rear end folks grinding it out (at least when i've tried to do it but ymmv). best of luck.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I only started playing again after a several year break when the current xpac dropped; so I’ll have a full month next month. Plus I’ll have the star bonus this time around.; so I should get to diamond pretty fast.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Excelzior posted:

this, assuming you don't have 11* bonus

the only reason to push yourself to Legend every month is if you have 11* bonus since you get 2 stars per win but only -1 per loss in the d5-Legend bracket

the lack of Win Streaks in D5+ is so crippling

You only get 11* for hitting high legend so it's a bit chicken and egg.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GTO posted:

You only get 11* for hitting high legend so it's a bit chicken and egg.

yeah you're essentially slaving away for dozens of hours initially, just to earn a ball and chain that'll hang with you every month

not my cup of tea

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the true hearthstone promised land is legend ranks 10000+

tons of deck diversity cause people are just playing what they want and trying new stuff, rather than grinding out wins

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

tons of deck diversity cause people are just playing what they want and trying new stuff, rather than grinding out wins

Agreed.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I ran into this deck with my menagerie warrior earlier and was only saved because my wide rear end board could take a few hits and not have Rag punch my face

Definitely wasn't expecting what this deck ended up doing lol

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://hsreplay.net/replay/h6xWnzkcF9CBysDkcKmEiU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I can’t get over how much more generous hearthstone is now compared to years back in terms of giving you gold and free card packs and rewards and stuff.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Conversely, diamond 5-1 is the loving pits

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I was curious how often expansions come out and looked up release dates. Hadn't realized they came up with new stuff as often as they did.

Also, prior to picking this up again two months ago, the last time I had been playing, the most recent expansion was the Grand Tournament. Can't believe this game has been out for almost ten years already. :corsair:

E: ooh, got a signature Mister Mukla this morning.

And 16 common cards out of four packs that all went to dust. :argh:

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 1, 2023

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

It's Monday morning and I'm working on my weekly quests and I just want to ask: Why the hell are there DK bots in Casual mode? You don't get any rewards out of Casual mode.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

How do you guys tell if the opponent is a bot?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

More likely than not, if their name is a random string of characters, like dfsggfd its a bot. Especially if it's a Death Knight since that's the new hotness. Bots also make dumb moves. Like a lot of them will pop the DK hero power and then just leave the ghoul on the board without doing anything.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The Lord Bude posted:

Also, the most popular bot has a very predictable and noticeable play pattern; the length of time between 'click' and the sequence that they 'click' their active minions and so on.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Lord Bude posted:

I can’t get over how much more generous hearthstone is now compared to years back in terms of giving you gold and free card packs and rewards and stuff.

Yeah no kidding. I guess in part it's in response to other games like Eternal and Runeterra having more generous card acquisition but I can't imagine either of those are really big enough to pose a serious threat to HS. The only other game I'd think of as being up in the "big leagues" is Magic: Arena and unless there have been some big changes since I played a couple years ago it is quite expensive to get cards in that game.

Honestly they probably make a lot of money off the cosmetic poo poo they sell now, too -- none of that was available years ago, there were like 3 or 4 hero skins for sale and that's it.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
There are also official bots you might queue against. Blizzard says these are for new players or weird mmr stats but I encounter them every so often.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Disargeria posted:

There are also official bots you might queue against. Blizzard says these are for new players or weird mmr stats but I encounter them every so often.

Yeah those have a recognisable name format too.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

for the longest time they were also recognizable from playing impossible cards like instantly Infused priests of the deceased

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

goferchan posted:

Yeah no kidding. I guess in part it's in response to other games like Eternal and Runeterra having more generous card acquisition but I can't imagine either of those are really big enough to pose a serious threat to HS. The only other game I'd think of as being up in the "big leagues" is Magic: Arena and unless there have been some big changes since I played a couple years ago it is quite expensive to get cards in that game.

Honestly they probably make a lot of money off the cosmetic poo poo they sell now, too -- none of that was available years ago, there were like 3 or 4 hero skins for sale and that's it.

The main thing to keep in mind is that Hearthstone isn't competing against other digital CCGs with these changes. They're competing with the wider sea change in how generous free-to-play games need to be to keep people invested in the economy, and games like Eternal and Runeterra are a reflection of that. (And also because they're smaller competitors and need to be more generous to draw attention to them in the first place.)

The point is, the mobile market is big, if getting cards stops feeling good people will play something that does feel good instead, and the art of making in-game economies feel good has advanced a lot from Hearthstone's launch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The Lord Bude posted:

While I am very happy with the changes as well, they warned us that they would have to have more ads/cosmetics to make up for the difference in revenue. For me at least, that's totally fine, I don't care about cosmetics and the ads don't bother me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mayveena posted:

While I am very happy with the changes as well, they warned us that they would have to have more ads/cosmetics to make up for the difference in revenue. For me at least, that's totally fine, I don't care about cosmetics and the ads don't bother me.

I’ve yet to see any ads, and honestly I’m happy for them to sell as many cosmetics as they want, cosmetics are neat and a good way to monetise the game without affecting the actual gameplay. If anything I wish they’d put some of the portraits that are no longer available to buy in game up on the blizzard store, there’s at least one that I’d buy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve yet to see any ads, and honestly I’m happy for them to sell as many cosmetics as they want, cosmetics are neat and a good way to monetise the game without affecting the actual gameplay. If anything I wish they’d put some of the portraits that are no longer available to buy in game up on the blizzard store, there’s at least one that I’d buy.

What I meant by 'ads' is what you see when you log on and they are promoting some special deal in the shop. Those didn't use to happen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mayveena posted:

What I meant by 'ads' is what you see when you log on and they are promoting some special deal in the shop. Those didn't use to happen.

Oh those are fine. To me that’s totally different from ads.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh those are fine. To me that’s totally different from ads.

Same. The day pepsi poo poo or whatever starts showing up is an instant uninstall though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think I’ve settled on Tony Druid as my overall favourite deck to play. It feels really strong and I feel like I stand a chance at least no matter what my opponent is playing.

Edit: wtf is this mill Druid I keep running into. It caught me by surprise the first time but it’s been an easy win every time since.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 1, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

You can tell by the way they hover over things. It's usually a clockwise circle and they check out things no human player would. Hover over the Hero power when they can't play it? Probably a bot.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Using Aggro Hunter as a palette cleanser as it chews happily through the dual bloated ticks of Blood DK and Pure Paladin, and it’s bringing me joy to just wreck their lategame poo poo by simply killing them at Turn 6/7.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Just got my 500th Shaman win! I have a few more classes in striking distance, but I'm just not excited about playing DH or Warlock right now.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah those have a recognisable name format too.

Yeah, it's usually two words put together that are "AdjectiveNoun" and they never show up under the list of people you've recently played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Finally got Spicy Pretzel Mustard with this build.