Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I was able to play Redfall for like an hour on game pass before they turned the servers off and it seems fine but even on hard it felt super easy because of how bad the AI was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Then why was it a 4-player online-only game in the first place

Idk why it’s online only but people like co-op so why not make it an option I guess?

explosivo posted:

It is pretty wild that the game basically comes out today and there's nothing out there about it or any press about it and we're still saying stuff like "I'm almost positive there won't be bots if not in a group"

I agree the game has been marketed poorly but I was being a bit cheeky there. We know the game doesn’t have bots. It’s not a L4D alike despite lots of people (apparently still?) insisting it is despite it being announced as basically vampire Borderlands. It’s very weird.

Anno fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 1, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I can only assume it has some kind of MTX shop? Or otherwise in general I suspect chasing multiplayer "exposure"; get your friends to buy the game, get people talking about the game etc.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Jack Trades posted:

A lot of talent responsible for Dishonored and Prey are long gone.
Sad, too. Some of the best stealth games since Thief (not the reboot).

Lots of wasted talent in the games industry.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just wait for the inevitable 4 different spinoff studios that all claim to be headed by the people who brought you prey

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anno posted:

Idk why it’s online only but people like co-op so why not make it an option I guess?

I agree the game has been marketed poorly but I was being a bit cheeky there. We know the game doesn’t have bots. It’s not a L4D alike despite lots of people (apparently still?) insisting it is despite it being announced as basically vampire Borderlands. It’s very weird.

I don't really read much about games anymore so when you market a game as "4-player co-op shooter" I think L4D and the billion other games copying the same formula. I guess I thought Redfall was just L4D with some open world stuff.

For example:

quote:

Bethesda reveals Redfall, a four-player co-op vampire shooter developed by Arkane Austin
Think Left 4 Dead with vampires and you get the idea
https://www.techspot.com/news/90087-bethesda-reveals-redfall-four-player-co-op-vampire.html

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't really read much about games anymore so when you market a game as "4-player co-op shooter" I think L4D. I guess I thought Redfall was just L4D with some open world stuff.

It's definitely not left 4 dead, it's a big open world map that you or friends can run around doing objectives in. There's I think 4 big vampire bosses that can be taken down at any point but will probably be hard without gear/levels. That article you quoted is why we're having this discussion; it's been super unclear from the start what the game is. That is also from 2021 so it's entirely possible at that point it was shaping up to be a L4D-like but then they had to pivot to what it is now but it's definitely going to be closer to Far Cry/Borderlands than Left 4 Dead.

Edit: actually that article says it's an open world game so I'm not sure how they figured it's like left 4 dead at all tbh other than seeing the prerendered teaser and extrapolating from that.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Far Cry 5 had the villain striking the note "by persecuting me you are only causing more misery" throughout the game, completely earnestly. Despite the fact he is the leader of a mass-murdering cult that decorates their territory with bodies. It's perhaps the lamest "you are the real monster" plots out there.

Even by the low standards of the Far Cry series, it's insultingly stupid.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Looking increasingly likely that we’ll get to say Fart Cry

Anno
May 10, 2017

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't really read much about games anymore so when you market a game as "4-player co-op shooter" I think L4D and the billion other games copying the same formula. I guess I thought Redfall was just L4D with some open world stuff.

For example:

https://www.techspot.com/news/90087-bethesda-reveals-redfall-four-player-co-op-vampire.html

Yeah I don’t blame people who read the initial PC Gamer article or whatever and haven’t paid attention since. I think it’s weird that any 4 player co-op game is assumed to be L4D but I guess that’s the way it is. In the meantime though there’s been tons of talk about why it isn’t and some very bad faith arguing from people who definitely do know better.

quote:

Edit: actually that article says it's an open world game so I'm not sure how they figured it's like left 4 dead at all tbh other than seeing the prerendered teaser and extrapolating from that.

Games press is awful at comparing games to other games. Like when Jez Corden and/or Jeff Grubb said Pentiment was going to be Obsidian’s answer to Disco Elysium or whatever. It’s just weird.

I hate dumping on games press/critics all the time because I’m sure they’ll all woefully underpaid and overworked and I don’t want to some off as some weird gamergater but man it seems really bad the last few years (almost surely because of the underpaid/overworked stuff).

Anno fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 1, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Deakul posted:

It was just a twist ending where the doomsday cult was actually right about doomsday.

It was hilarious and directly led to FC: New Dawn which was a pretty drat fun colorful post-apocalyptic romp!
Maybe the doomsday cult was listening to the radio, which was reporting about the rapidly deteriorating global political situation throughout the entire game. The threat of looming apocalypse was no secret or prophesy.

Rebel Blob posted:

Far Cry 5 had the villain striking the note "by persecuting me you are only causing more misery" throughout the game, completely earnestly. Despite the fact he is the leader of a mass-murdering cult that decorates their territory with bodies. It's perhaps the lamest "you are the real monster" plots out there.

Even by the low standards of the Far Cry series, it's insultingly stupid.
Are you saying that you think the villain saying something means that's the game's message? This was not a "you are the real monster" plot in the least.

Other than the real dumb "main quest bullets" mechanic, I thought Far Cry 5 was by far the best one other than 2. Far Cry 6 seems okay story-wise but I only did one of the main areas and got kind of bored. It's just so massive.

edit: Also when it came out people were at maximum Trump-brain and seemed to think that the game was some kind of bad allegory for Trump, or a wasted opportunity to say something meaningful about Trumpism, but it seems more like a take on David Koresh than anything.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 1, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I bought Far Cry 5 at launch, because I was dumb and wanted something mediocre but high production to play, but it didn't even manage that.
It started off mediocre and then went downhill from there.

I did suffer through the whole game in the end, mostly because I was really salty about wasting 60 bux, but by the end of the game I hated all of it.

The way they interrupted gameplay to literally kidnap you for lovely story sequences was the loving worst.
One of those sequences thought it was really loving clever and it repeats 3 times. On the first and second loop you go through the same target practice range, while listening to a bad guy monologue his rear end off, and on the third time they attempt to sneakily replace the last target with a character, in attempt to make you shoot them reflexively. I bet when their hack of a writer was jerking themselves off about how clever they are when they came up with that.
Of course, the sequence doesn't actually work, because it's obvious as hell, but the game makes you shoot the guy anyway and if you don't it'll just kick you to the last checkpoint.

Also the dog couldn't even ride with you in your car.
It's a 60 dollar game and your dog couldn't ride in the passenger seat of your car.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anno posted:

Games press is awful at comparing games to other games. Like when Jez Corden and/or Jeff Grubb said Pentiment was going to be Obsidian’s answer to Disco Elysium or whatever. It’s just weird.

I hate dumping on games press/critics all the time because I’m sure they’ll all woefully underpaid and overworked and I don’t want to some off as some weird gamergater but man it seems really bad the last few years (almost surely because of the underpaid/overworked stuff).

I see the nonsensical comparisons happen a lot with relatively niche game series where the journalist through no fault of their own (although maybe poor judgement n the part of their editors) reviews games without any context of the series, rendering the review totally useless for its target audience.

See AoW 4 reviews/previews where the writers are comparing it to Civilization or that King's Bounty game where some journos were like "huh, this is a weird take on Dragon Age".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

The way they interrupted gameplay to literally kidnap you for lovely story sequences was the loving worst.

:allears: Hang gliding hundreds of feet in the sky and getting tranquilizered by the world's best snipers

Anno
May 10, 2017

At the very least I’m glad that Arkane Farcry is overtly political rather than so mealy mouthed about everything. I think Harvey Smith was like “yeah the vampires are all basically Peter Thiel” which is going to make it much more fun to stab them.

Anno fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 1, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I did hate that about Far Cry 5 and wonder what the gently caress happened in playtesting that they thought it was necessary to do that. I actually liked the mechanic of having to do random quests to build up the tension meter or whatever in order to unlock the showdown, but man what a bad implementation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I liked the world better in the Far Cry 5 DLC, but they seriously expect you to sympathize with Joseph Seed in it. "Oh help me, my son took over my cult, oh woe is me!"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anno posted:

At the very least I’m glad that Arkane Farcry is overtly political rather than so mealy mouthed about everything. I think Harvey Smith was basically like “yeah the vampires are all basically Peter Thiel” which is going to make it much more fun to stab them.

This is the only thing I’ve heard about the game that makes me remotely interested.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

According to the Steam forums (the worst place on earth) Redfall is woke garbage because it prominently features some people-of-color as the main characters. Can't make this poo poo up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The actual touchstone for Redfall is Generation Zero but with vampires instead of robots. You’re in a semi-rural town filled with vampires, a ton of crafting loot and a small impetus to be stealthy about going around and looting everyone’s house while doing missions.

Trouble is the game looks like a 360/PS4 era game while running terribly and having godawful gun play. Dunno who it’s for.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

According to the Steam forums (the worst place on earth) Redfall is woke garbage because it prominently features some people-of-color as the main characters. Can't make this poo poo up.

That's white noise at this point.
I remember when the excellent Dishonored: Death of the Outsider came out, all of these types instantly started yelling about the protagonist being a diversity pick, despite Billie Lurk being in every Dishonored game prior to hers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I haven't played an Ubisoft title in over 10 years and honestly I don't miss 'em.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

LOTR: Gollum - May 25 - ...I truly have no idea who this is for. I don't think even LOTR fans care about this.

I am sure someone will now come write a thesis on why Gollum is brilliant tragic shakespearean character and he is the best character in the series. But who the gently caress greenlit this? What kind of market trends did they study where they found out that LOTR fans want to play a stealth game as Gollum? Literally some of the coolest characters in fiction and these guys picked Gollum. All for trying new innovative gameplay but this looks like the most vanilla stealth.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Last good Ubisoft game was Watch Dogs 2. That's a game I can definitely still recommend.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ulio posted:

I am sure someone will now come write a thesis on why Gollum is brilliant tragic shakespearean character and he is the best character in the series. But who the gently caress greenlit this? What kind of market trends did they study where they found out that LOTR fans want to play a stealth game as Gollum? Literally some of the coolest characters in fiction and these guys picked Gollum.
brb. Spending $49.99 to pre-order gollum.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The new Mario + Rabbids game seems pretty good

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ulio posted:

I am sure someone will now come write a thesis on why Gollum is brilliant tragic shakespearean character and he is the best character in the series. But who the gently caress greenlit this? What kind of market trends did they study where they found out that LOTR fans want to play a stealth game as Gollum? Literally some of the coolest characters in fiction and these guys picked Gollum.

It’s made by Daedalic who has made a bunch of adventure games, none of them particularly good. I think it’s less likely an executive play like everyone assumes and just a really bad choice of passion project.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Press X to smack fish.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still think Far Cry 2 was good and that's maybe the last open world Ubisoft game I can remember with ideas. That was what, 15 years ago?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ulio posted:

I am sure someone will now come write a thesis on why Gollum is brilliant tragic shakespearean character and he is the best character in the series. But who the gently caress greenlit this? What kind of market trends did they study where they found out that LOTR fans want to play a stealth game as Gollum? Literally some of the coolest characters in fiction and these guys picked Gollum. All for trying new innovative gameplay but this looks like the most vanilla stealth.

it's also been delayed several times

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

fwiw in the initial deep dive video they made a point that it could be played solo

idk why people thought L4D when it always looked like vampire borderlands/destiny from the very first bit of gameplay, complete with stupid power numbers for weapons and xp/levels

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Someone broke Redfall review embargo.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230501122028/https://noisypixel.net/redfall-review/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

fwiw in the initial deep dive video they made a point that it could be played solo

idk why people thought L4D when it always looked like vampire borderlands/destiny from the very first bit of gameplay, complete with stupid power numbers for weapons

When I Think "Arkane Studios" I think "Gear Rating".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if in like 200 years future gamers won't know where the green/blue/purple/orange item hierarchy even comes from.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm sad about Arkane. They used to be my favorite studio but I don't think they're ever going to release something the quality of Dishonored/Dishonored 2/Prey again.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The xbox touch is already rubbing off on Bethesda studios lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There was a time where I could say that every game Arkane made was great, without a shadow of a doubt. Even Arx Fatalis still holds up and has some cool features that I haven't seen anywhere else since.

Not so much anymore. Now it's Gear Rating.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 1, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ACG is usually quite kind with xbox games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pf_D7uzI48

Performance video it seems all over the place. Going below 60fps at 1080p on a 4070 5600x seems a bit too much though...

Ulio fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 1, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the guy seems a little too obsessed with ludonarrative dissonance or w/e, but i'll sum up some of the concerns from the review:

- no memorable NPCs
- main 4 characters don't interact with each other in the story much/at all
- there's apparently points of no return, i guess it's like Gears 5 where there's multiple open areas? one for each vampire boss
- boring skill tree which has some multiplayer-only skills
- dying does not respawn enemies, you just lose some money and spawn at the nearest safe house/landmark
- can only place one marker on the map yourself, map lacks detail
- minimal animations/interactions with enemies/NPCs
- little of worth to do in the open world
- bugs, because of course

their score was 4/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A different review mentions that enemies don't scale with the number of players. So it seems like "intended" solo experience is literally to chip away at encounters while dying and respawning over and over.