Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SA-Anon posted:

I see the USD and Euro continuing to hold the lions share for the foreseeable future.
Will probably see some balance between USD, EURO, and maybe even the Australian Dollar.

:wtc:

Can you qualify this, or help us understand your thinking better

I seem to recall Australia getting bitchy when we did/did not share submarine secrets with them/not them/France. And I guess Boeing is building their "ghost bat" fighter drone... thing, in Australia, but I don't see Australia exporting just a whole lot besides uranium and maybe coal? The likelihood of AUD becoming a global currency seems about as likely as the Israeli Shekel, at least from my very limited viewpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA-Anon
Sep 15, 2019

Hadlock posted:

:wtc:

Can you qualify this, or help us understand your thinking better

I seem to recall Australia getting bitchy when we did/did not share submarine secrets with them/not them/France. And I guess Boeing is building their "ghost bat" fighter drone... thing, in Australia, but I don't see Australia exporting just a whole lot besides uranium and maybe coal? The likelihood of AUD becoming a global currency seems about as likely as the Israeli Shekel, at least from my very limited viewpoint

Australia is a stable democarcy.
Can export LNG or Coal right to all the SE and Asian Markets with minimal delays.

And Australia knows how to mine.
Copper, possibly some rare earths....

Additionally...

If it comes to fruition....
High Voltage DC Transmission is a thing and maybe power could be transmissioned from Australia over seas.

Also exporting Ammonia is supposedly one of the next big things.
(NH3 instead of CH4)

Australia has the coast line and land mass to make those renewable energy exports happen.

And the shipping times matches up with their advantages previously seen for coal / LNG.

TLDR:
Ya'll have the existing know how and existing geographical advantages for energy export.
So its simply a matter of changing from one type of energy to another.

Last I heard they were going to build a High Voltage DC Transmission line to Singapore.
And if that happens...

You could see quite a bit going on.

SA-Anon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 26, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

Honestly, 13th in the world is larger than I was expecting. Approximately on par with south korea. Incredible how bad Russia is doing.

But by comparison, Australia's GDP is, roughly, a bit less than 7% that of the US. The sheer size of the US economy is one of the key factors keeping the US dollar the world's reserve currency, and while the EU as a total looks at a quick glance to be roughly similar and China is not far behind, the US represents nearly a quarter of the entire world's economy, and the US + EU is roughly half.

e. California's GDP is estimated at ~$3.6T. Somewhere between the UK and India.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 26, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
a reserve currency needs to have three things: liquidity, liquidity, liquidity. euros are only liquid because of the ecb’s swap lines with the fed, so they can’t be a replacement reserve currency, though they can help supplement dollar liquidity as long as the us remains on top. the renminbi is closed and the dollarydoo, like sterling, yen, and won, is just too small of a market to serve as a global reserve

frankly i can see why a lot of foreign countries think they want the usd to be replaced, but wishing won’t make it so. a basket currency managed by the imf is gonna run into the problems that the imf doesn’t want to do it and the us doesn’t want the imf to do it

i’m also curious what connection sa-anon identifies between the security council and a reserve currency, and in particular, why changes in the imf-managed sdr would have anything to do with permanent security council seats

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I liked the part about how the reason the Turkish Lira isn't a reserve currency is because of concerns about one party rule. :allears:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Lira is a great currency if you have a 30 year fixed rate mortgage

ABITRE - Always be investing in Turkish real estate

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The thing that really stands out is that you don't need some central committee to declare a reserve currency. The UN security council has about as much pull in that as I do, myself, personally. It just kinda happens with the currency that is the most convenient for 3rd parties to do business in because of a mix of ubiquity, utility (e.g. a desire to buy stuff from or otherwise trade with the issuing country), stability, and politics.

Theoretically speaking it could be loving anything. Countries could decide tomorrow to do trades denominated in Bolivars, or ancient Roman denarii, or loving Alf pogs if they wanted to. Just, you know, they don't because that would be dumb, and there's really no pressure in the world that is going to force them to if some magically competent and muscular UN decides the global currency is yellow Starburst candies.

A prime example of that is to look at countries that are in the middle of a currency collapse. There's a whoooooole lot of dollar-denominated trade going on inside Bolivia right now, despite the government's attempts to convince people the Boliviano is doing fine.

edit: and none of this means it has to be the Dollar, forever. Once upon a time it as the British pound, but economics and history caught up with that. Could it be the RMB some day? Sure, it could be, but there are some obstacles for it to overcome on the way to that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The point about liquidity extends from the point about GDP. The larger a country (or effective, for the EU)'s economy, the more total currency it needs to have in circulation, and that generally approximates liquidity all else being equal (which it definitely is not). The fact the US also runs its government at an enormous deficit and permits anyone in the world to buy US government debt is huge (over $31T). Yes, Americans (including the US government itself) still hold a large majority of American debt, but again, just the sheer size of the economy means there's a highly liquid market for US government securities. Which are denominated in dollars.

If your reserve currency is dollars, you can buy US treasuries, and you will receive dollars as your yield, and you'll want to have a liquid market for using those dollars when you need them.

The "world" cannot place its reserves in australian dollars in part because they're not attractive enough, but also in part because there simply aren't enough to go around.

quote:

Australian Government gross debt has increased from $534.4 billion in March 2019 to $894.9 billion as of 28 October 2022. The October 2022–23 Budget forecasts further increases in gross debt to $1.159 trillion (43.1% of GDP) by the end of the 2025–26 financial year
source

This article projects a net increase in Australian borrowing of $AU264B in three years, or about $AU33B annually.

Foreign countries hold $7.4T in US debt. They could buy 100% of australian debt for the next three years and it wouldn't make a dent.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
one of the things that’s gotta be unwound before the dollar gets displaced is that a lot of foreign private companies are now issuing dollar-denominated debt. These are entities that are never going to be able to hold XDR or whatever “basket currency” instruments get hypothetically introduced, so as long as those positions are still being held, there will still be foreign demand for dollars requiring that foreign countries hold dollars in reserve.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A possible reserve currency alternative might be the Japanese yen. I would pick the Brazilian real ahead of AUD, or poo poo, the dreaded ruble, Russia is at least actually a net global mineral and oil exporter as much as I dislike their global politics

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I thought of the Yen too, as the third largest economy. At Japan's economic peak in the 1980s, did anyone use it as a reserve currency?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most countries hold at least a couple billion dollars each in various currencies for various reasons. It was a Really Big Deal in 2020-2021 when Japan liquidated something like half a trillion dollars (2/3 of their Brazilian real reserves? I forget). My guess is

1) diversify diversify diversify
2) helps stabilize currency values among the top ~25 economies, instills confidence in those economies etc
3) probably smooths over various international things if/when poo poo gets real
4) distant 4th deincentivizes conflict with those countries as your investment will probably lose value. A big deal if you have a trillion dollars in their currency and it loses half it's value

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also like, money is useful for buying things, and can accumulate in one or another country due to trade imbalances, international purchasing agreements, and probably a whole host of other arcane reasons. You can't always just go to the international currency exchange and swap a few hundred million of your currency for another country's trivially with no costs whenever you suddenly want to procure some military poo poo from them or w/e.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

drk posted:

I thought of the Yen too, as the third largest economy. At Japan's economic peak in the 1980s, did anyone use it as a reserve currency?

Yen is 3rd biggest as of 2022 but still a lot behind the dollar and euro: https://www.statista.com/statistics/233674/distribution-of-global-currency-reserves/

Edit: according to this the dollar is down to 47% of global reserves but it still sounds like the euro is the only one even remotely close at all: https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/currencies/dollar-dominance-global-reserves-china-euro-russia-ukraine-war-greenback-2023-4?op=1

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 26, 2023

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Relevant shitpost:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

E. Thought I was in another thread. Madre forgive me for I have sinned.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 28, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No Twitter posts please, can you just edit your post and link to the article directly

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/sri-lankan-activists-protest-proposal-export-monkeys-china-2023-04-18/

It's gross, but not really relevant. China wants monkeys for animal testing "5000 zoos", Sri Lanka wants to get rid of monkeys in agricultural areas (even though they're endangered).

quote:

"This is not a discussion between the Sri Lankan government and the Chinese government but with a Chinese company," Gunawardana told reporters at a weekly briefing, without naming the company. "The committee will evaluate the proposal."

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/us-regulator-set-take-over-first-republic-source-2023-04-28/

First Republic is almost certainly dead, looks like it's getting taken over by the FDIC.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

LostCosmonaut posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/us-regulator-set-take-over-first-republic-source-2023-04-28/

First Republic is almost certainly dead, looks like it's getting taken over by the FDIC.

I've been out of the loop for a few days. Any reputable sources describe why this is happening? Best I can find is they got credit downgraded in the SVB turmoil and it caused a run on the bank, but I don't get why every story is talking about the stock price.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
They announced a huge fraction of their deposits had been withdrawn, which crashed their stock price, which made maintaining their capital requirements untenable. That’s what’s causing them to go into receivership - afaik there haven’t been problems with withdrawals yet, but they’ve likely run out of cash on hand, even with the fed’s new liquidity measures.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

hypnophant posted:

They announced a huge fraction of their deposits had been withdrawn, which crashed their stock price, which made maintaining their capital requirements untenable.

The relation between stock price and capital requirements being that ostensibly they would issue more stock to raise capital?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Yes. That’s what killed SVB; the bank run started after they tried to issue a large amount of stock.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Read this in CSPAM and I found it helpful. From Matt Levine’s blog https://newsletterhunt.com/emails/29769

quote:

The two options with First Republic Bank are pretty much:

Do something, or
Do nothing.
“Do something” is obviously bad. First Republic’s balance sheet shows about $233 billion of assets, including about $173 billion of loans, but the market value of those assets is considerably lower: Those loans are largely mortgages made at very low interest rates, and they have lost a lot of value as rates have gone up.. First Republic estimated as of Dec. 31 that its assets were worth about $27 billion less than their carrying value. [1] So figure its assets are worth something like $206 billion on a good day.

Meanwhile it has about $105 billion of deposits and about $105 billion of secured borrowing from the Federal Reserve and Federal Home Loan Bank system. Of those deposits, roughly $55 billion are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. and roughly $50 billion aren’t; $30 billion of the unsecured deposits belong to a consortium of big banks that deposited money with First Republic last month to boost confidence. Roughly speaking, the insured deposits and the Fed/FHLB ($160 billion total) get paid back first, the uninsured deposits ($50 billion) get paid back next, and everybody else — subordinated debt, shareholders — gets paid back with whatever is left.

So if you can sell the assets for about $210 billion, then the government and all of the depositors get paid back in full; if you can’t, they don’t. (Either way, the shareholders are, uh, in trouble.) Again, the assets are worth something like $206 billion, based on First Republic’s filings in December; that would not quite be enough to pay everyone back. But the consensus seems to be that if you actually had to go sell everything at once, things would be considerably worse, and there would be a hole of tens of billions of dollars.

And so all of the do-something options are bad, because of that hole. The most straightforward do-something option is that the FDIC could seize First Republic, sell its assets, and use the money to pay back depositors. But there would be a hole of tens of billions of dollars. And the FDIC would either have to fill that hole (declaring First Republic systemically important and using its deposit insurance fund to pay off the uninsured depositors), or not fill that hole (letting the uninsured depositors bear the loss). The Wall Street Journal notes:

The details and extent of the FDIC’s support will be determined on whether they use the same tool, a so-called systemic risk exception, that allowed the agency to guarantee all of the depositors at last month’s two failed institutions.

Invoking that exception again would allow regulators to backstop all of the roughly $50 billion in deposits at First Republic that are above the FDIC’s insurance limit, including the $30 billion deposited by the big banks.

If the FDIC doesn’t make those depositors whole, it could reignite questions about such deposits at other regional banks, causing customers to yank their deposits from smaller firms. But if it does, the FDIC could be accused of bailing out Wall Street.

If the FDIC takes over First Republic at a loss, somebody — the uninsured depositors (meaning largely but not exclusively the big banks) or the FDIC (also meaning largely the big banks, who pay to fund the FDIC’s insurance fund) — has to bear the loss.

There are other do-something options that could happen in the shadow of an FDIC takeover: Another bank could buy First Republic and assume its deposits, or other banks could buy its assets at above-market prices, or banks or private equity firms could buy some equity in First Republic. Bloomberg News reports:

A number of rescue proposals have so far failed to come to fruition.

Earlier this week, Bloomberg reported that First Republic was looking to potentially sell $50 billion to $100 billion of assets to big banks that would also receive warrants or preferred equity as an incentive to buy the holdings above their market value.

By Wednesday, the firm’s advisers were privately pitching a similar concept, in which stronger banks would buy bonds off of First Republic’s books for more than they were worth so that it could sell shares to new investors. While that would mean booking initial losses, banks could hold the debts through repayment to be made whole.

But all of these have the same basic outcome, which is that somebody — probably, again, one or more big banks — steps in to bear the losses, to buy First Republic’s assets for more than they are worth. Nobody likes it:

The fate of First Republic Bank has become a game of chicken between the US government and the lender’s largest rivals, with both sides seeking to avoid steep losses and hoping the other will handle the troubled firm. …

Executives at five of the biggest banks, speaking on the condition they not be named, dismissed the notion of once again banding together to prop up First Republic, especially when it could mean paving the way for investors or a competitor to scoop up the firm at a bargain price.

If the big banks bear the losses on First Republic, then whoever ends up owning First Republic — its current shareholders, a new buyer — won’t. You can finesse that a little bit with warrants — effectively, you make the banks who take the losses also the new owners of First Republic — but the main problem doesn’t go away. The main problem is the losses.

The other option is “do nothing.” First Republic reported earnings on Monday, and they were legendarily awful:

Across the industry, First Republic’s quarterly earnings report on Monday has come to be regarded as a disaster. The firm announced a larger-than-expected drop in deposits, then declined to take questions as executives presented a 12-minute briefing on results.

But First Republic reported a profit. The problem, for First Republic, is that lots of its low-interest deposits have fled, and it has had to replace their funding by borrowing from the Fed, the FHLB and the big banks at much higher rates. Meanwhile it still has lots of long-term loans made at low interest rates. If you borrow short at 0% to lend long at 3%, and then your short-term borrowing costs go up to 5% while your loans stay the same, you will be losing 2% a year on your loans, and that is roughly the state that First Republic finds itself in. But it is not exactly the state that First Republic finds itself in: It still has some cheap insured deposits, some short-term assets, some floating-rate assets, some fee income, and in fact it has managed to scrape out a profit even as rates have moved against it. Can that last? I mean, maybe not:

The deposit run has forced First Republic to rely on other, more expensive funding. That makes it hard to generate interest income, and at some point it might not be able to.

“They’ve never been super profitable,” said Tim Coffey, managing director and analyst at Janney Montgomery Scott. “Now you’re not growing and you’re layering on really high borrowing and funding costs.”

But a bank can stay in business even with some quarterly losses, as long as it remains well capitalized, and as a technical matter First Republic has enough capital to withstand some unprofitable quarters. And if you muddle along for long enough, the situation can right itself: The long-term low-interest loans will roll off and be replaced with higher-interest new loans, and First Republic’s interest margins will start to expand again. It might work! If you are a First Republic shareholder, “do nothing and hope the business recovers” is clearly the best option.

Of course deposits might keep flowing out, but so what? First Republic is now funded in large part with loans from the Fed and the FHLB, and I suppose they could just lend it some more money. When Silicon Valley Bank failed, the Fed put in place a new Bank Term Funding Program that was designed for more or less this purpose: The BTFP lets banks borrow against their assets without taking into account interest-rate losses, so that they can replace fleeing deposits with loans from the Fed. US regional banks spent years in a low interest rate environment, they were caught out by a rapid rate hiking cycle, and the Fed responded to that problem by lending them money to smooth out the transition.

The advantage of doing nothing is that nobody has to take any losses now. But the regulators seem to want to move. Bloomberg again:

The clock for striking such a deal began ticking louder late last week. US regulators reached out to some industry leaders, encouraging them to make a renewed push to find a private solution to shore up First Republic’s balance sheet, according to people with knowledge of the discussions.

The calls also came with a warning that banks should be prepared in case something happens soon.

And one way for something to happen soon is if the Fed stops lending to First Republic:

As weeks keep passing without a transaction, senior [FDIC] officials are increasingly weighing whether to downgrade their scoring of the firm’s condition, including its so-called Camels rating, according to people with direct knowledge of the talks. That would likely limit the bank’s use of the Fed’s discount window and an emergency facility launched last month, the people said.

Why? Why close a bank and take billions of dollars of losses if you don’t have to? The consequences of doing something are obvious and bad; the consequences of doing nothing are a bit more diffuse.

But let’s talk about some of them. One is that there are legal limits on the Fed’s ability to keep propping up First Republic. I mentioned the BTFP, the Fed’s post-Silicon Valley Bank program that lends to banks at 100% of the face value of their collateral, even if that collateral has lost money due to rising interest rates. But only US Treasury and agency securities are eligible to be BTFP collateral, and First Republic’s assets are mostly loans. Those loans tend to be pretty safe — they are mostly mortgages to rich people — but they are very exposed to interest-rate risk, so they have lost a lot of value. And it can’t use them to borrow from the BTFP.

Meanwhile these loans are eligible collateral at the Fed’s discount window, its more standard lending program, but the discount window lends against the market value of collateral, and these loans have lost a lot of value. If deposits keep fleeing from First Republic, its ability to replace those deposits with Fed loans depends on the market value of its assets, which means it might run out of capacity. If the FDIC is worried about that happening sometime soon, then there is some urgency to do something first.

More generally, the theory of central banking is that central banks should lend to solvent banks, but not prop up insolvent banks. The Fed’s statutes limit its ability to lend to undercapitalized banks. In some obvious economic sense, First Republic is undercapitalized — its assets are worth less than its liabilities, which is why we are talking about this — but legally it is fine and has plenty of regulatory capital.

But at some point, if the regulators conclude that First Republic is not viable, it is at least, like, embarrassing for them to keep lending it money. In the limit case, if all of First Republic’s deposits fled, you could imagine the Fed lending it $210 billion (up from its current $105 billion of Fed/FHLB money) so it could continue to limp along. But that’s bad! You don’t want a bank out there doing business, making loans, paying executive salaries, that is entirely funded by the Fed. You need some private-sector endorsement of the bank for the Fed to keep supporting it.

Also: The losses have already happened. First Republic made loans at low interest rates, now interest rates are higher, and so its loans are not worth what they used to be. As an accounting matter, those losses don’t have to be recognized yet; First Republic’s balance sheet is still technically solvent, and it can muddle along for a while. But economically the difference between “the banking system reports billions of dollars of losses today and then normal profits afterwards” and “the banking system bleeds these losses into lower accounting profits for the next few years” is not that great, and the former is more clarifying.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was going to send Matt Levine's summary - his writing is both accessible to people outside the industry and low key hilarious. He does similar writeups about major financial news and has authored a couple articles that became their own special editions of Bloomberg. I really enjoyed the crypto one.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Guest2553 posted:

I was going to send Matt Levine's summary - his writing is both accessible to people outside the industry and low key hilarious. He does similar writeups about major financial news and has authored a couple articles that became their own special editions of Bloomberg. I really enjoyed the crypto one.

The SPY kids one is my favorite.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are we going to end up with a situation where the Fed opens up a new bank backed by the Fed, they then buy all mortgages under 4.5%, let it go under or simply liquidate it and the mortgages they're holding are then sold back to the banking sector at fire sale rates so the debt is profitable again? QE by way of giving low interest rate mortgages a haircut in valuation and letting the Fed swallow the loss and tossing it on the bonfire of Fed balance sheet?

And/or just setup a mechanism where the Fed will buy back any mortgage at less than 4.5% for the October 2022 value and write it as part of their balance sheet

Lending money at 2%-3.5% and then jacking rates up to 8% to match inflation, I don't know how else you handle that besides just forgiving the debt but forgiving debt, suddenly everyone has an extra $600-2500 in their pocket each month that would just throw fuel on the inflation fire

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 1, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Are we going to end up with a situation where the Fed opens up a new bank backed by the Fed, they then buy all mortgages under 4.5%, let it go under or simply liquidate it and the mortgages they're holding are then sold back to the banking sector at fire sale rates so the debt is profitable again? QE by way of giving low interest rate mortgages a haircut in valuation and letting the Fed swallow the loss and tossing it on the bonfire of Fed balance sheet?

And/or just setup a mechanism where the Fed will buy back any mortgage at less than 4.5% for the October 2022 value and write it as part of their balance sheet

Lending money at 2%-3.5% and then jacking rates up to 8% to match inflation, I don't know how else you handle that besides just forgiving the debt but forgiving debt, suddenly everyone has an extra $600-2500 in their pocket each month that would just throw fuel on the inflation fire

My take on QE is that you should just think about it as a way to cut rates when rates are already at zero. For various reasons - good reasons IMO - the Fed, unlike ECB and BoJ, has been unwilling to implement negative interest rates to continue loose monetary policy below what’s now called the effective lower bound. QE = a rate cut. QT = a rate hike. Right now the Fed is tightening so we won’t see rate cuts in any form until at least the end of the year - see this timely twitter thread https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1652776776370733057.html for an argument which puts it better than I can.

The Fed ultimately does need to prevent bank runs, but they will turn to bank liquidity tools like the discount window or new Bank Term Funding Program rather than monetary policy tools to do so. The difference here is scale - QE pumped trillions of dollars into securities in order to shift the yield curve across the entire economy, while BTFP may see billions or even tens of billions of dollars of uptake, but not enough to shift macro conditions. Also they don’t need to save every bank, they just need to ensure systemic stability. Letting a couple outliers twist in the wind does not harm their credibility.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

SVB and FSB going under and having the Fed / FDIC watch it happen while calmly saying “equity and management: get hosed; depositors: you’re okay… for now” is, imo, doing something.

In a perfect world, a third bank would fail and they wouldn’t bail unsecured deposits. In a more perfect world, they would also sue management for criminal negligence. Alas.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DNK posted:

....In a more perfect world, they would also sue management for criminal negligence. Alas.

Wasn't there a lot of noise about that with svb? we'll see.

There is a shareholder case, but that's kinda par for the course.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/silicon-valley-bank-parent-ceo-cfo-are-sued-by-shareholder-fraud-2023-03-13/

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

DNK posted:

a perfect world, a third bank would fail and they wouldn’t bail unsecured deposits

we’re all in favor of techbros and venture capitalists getting their comeuppance, but you have to see that this significantly raises the risks of a cascade of failures as unsecured money flees to safety. Monetary policy is an hammer, not a scalpel, and if you want to use it to punish the deserving you can’t avoid crushing many of the undeserving as well

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

hypnophant posted:

we’re all in favor of techbros and venture capitalists getting their comeuppance, but you have to see that this significantly raises the risks of a cascade of failures as unsecured money flees to safety. Monetary policy is an hammer, not a scalpel, and if you want to use it to punish the deserving you can’t avoid crushing many of the undeserving as well

Yeah I’m on board with the depositor bailouts so far, but — at some point — the FDIC should follow their own extremely public and explicit guidance that “up to 250k” means “up to 250k” and not “an infinite backstop to all deposits”.

The argument that the FDIC following its own rules-as-written-and-communicated-for-the-last-25-years will “crush the undeserving” as a means to bail out gamblers with no risk mitigation is farcical.

How about this: all the uninsured depositors will be guaranteed a 30-year 0% loan for the amount that they lost. There you go — solves the short-term cashflow issues (like companies failing to make payroll) while not being an outright handout. I came up with that in all of five seconds. I figure some Fed lifer could do better.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’m just saying a little bit of panic FOR PEOPLE WITH MORE THAN $250,000 IN A SINGLE BANK is good. Just a smidge. A tasty smack of paranoia that maybe you should pay attention to the company that holds all your money instead of popping a Xanax and crying to daddy government when you get hurt.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A big problem is that the central bank is paying attention to failures of some large banks, because of the systemic risks of more big bank runs they represent if these large uninsured depositors are not bailed out; but they have not been bailing out the small banks that fail nor their large >$250k depositors, over the last couple of decades. If they do this more, they are basically telling all depositors "never bank at small banks" and that will destroy small banks. They need to either just admit that we're guaranteeing large depositors now, across the board, at all banks... or not. Piecemeal poo poo that is just paying attention to the immediate problem this month is bad policymaking.

More broadly, I am still seeing unqualified statements like in the above quoted article like "...and First Republic’s assets are mostly loans. Those loans tend to be pretty safe — they are mostly mortgages to rich people — but they are very exposed to interest-rate risk, so they have lost a lot of value. And it can’t use them to borrow from the BTFP."

Who could have anticipated that taking on massive amounts of very low interest rate mortgage debt could lead to a problem if mortgage rates rose? Whoever could have anticipated that there was interest rate risk? Surely not... bankers?

There is massive negligence here, and it's a failure to hedge against interest rate risk. The FED should not be bailing out the people who made this critically bad decision. So the correct answer, regardless of whether you do something to rescue uninsured depositors, is to let the directors of these banks and the shareholders that invested in them and empowered them, to go pound sand, financially. The SVB example is illustrative. First Republic should be taken over by the FDIC if it's insolvent. If we need to decide to raise the cap on insured deposits, fine, do it for everyone, but in no world should the bank managers who chose to take on large portfolios of unhedged low interest loans and did nothing about their exposure to interest rate risk get to keep their jobs, and if we want markets to function properly, investors are supposed to see the consequences of their risks as the counterbalance to the lucrative rewards they receive for taking on risks.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

A big problem is that the central bank is paying attention to failures of some large banks, because of the systemic risks of more big bank runs they represent if these large uninsured depositors are not bailed out; but they have not been bailing out the small banks that fail nor their large >$250k depositors, over the last couple of decades. If they do this more, they are basically telling all depositors "never bank at small banks" and that will destroy small banks. They need to either just admit that we're guaranteeing large depositors now, across the board, at all banks... or not. Piecemeal poo poo that is just paying attention to the immediate problem this month is bad policymaking.

More broadly, I am still seeing unqualified statements like in the above quoted article like "...and First Republic’s assets are mostly loans. Those loans tend to be pretty safe — they are mostly mortgages to rich people — but they are very exposed to interest-rate risk, so they have lost a lot of value. And it can’t use them to borrow from the BTFP."

Who could have anticipated that taking on massive amounts of very low interest rate mortgage debt could lead to a problem if mortgage rates rose? Whoever could have anticipated that there was interest rate risk? Surely not... bankers?

There is massive negligence here, and it's a failure to hedge against interest rate risk. The FED should not be bailing out the people who made this critically bad decision. So the correct answer, regardless of whether you do something to rescue uninsured depositors, is to let the directors of these banks and the shareholders that invested in them and empowered them, to go pound sand, financially. The SVB example is illustrative. First Republic should be taken over by the FDIC if it's insolvent. If we need to decide to raise the cap on insured deposits, fine, do it for everyone, but in no world should the bank managers who chose to take on large portfolios of unhedged low interest loans and did nothing about their exposure to interest rate risk get to keep their jobs, and if we want markets to function properly, investors are supposed to see the consequences of their risks as the counterbalance to the lucrative rewards they receive for taking on risks.

but the fed doesn't want banks to fully hedge interest rate risk, as shown by their coolness towards narrow bank applications. it's easy to say that the small banks are being negligent on interest rate risk, but at the end of the day any hedge is going to be a question of degree unless you want banks to stop holding any significant amount of long term loans on their books. svb definitely was a spectacular failure to manage risk, but if anything it was on the risks associated with almost exclusively catering to savvy depositors. i think part of the vague indecisiveness of the fed is due to them not wanting to create a moral hazard by backstopping all banking activity, while not wanting to publicly acknowledge that there are some inherent risks in tha banking system, as sound as it is. the interest rate risk will always be there as long as we keep our current system where banks borrow short to lend long. completely eliminating that risk seems like it would need a system in which short term deposits and long term debt are kept completely separate. i don't have the background in macroeconomics to guess at what the positive and negative ramifications of that kind of change would be though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the interest rate risk will always be there as long as we keep our current system where banks borrow short to lend long. completely eliminating that risk seems like it would need a system in which short term deposits and long term debt are kept completely separate.

This would involve a complete rethinking and rewrite of the modern global banking system where private business was entirely funded by something looking a lot like VC. Seems unlikely.

I would like to see a home mortgage system like the UK and Netherlands where first time owners get a 0 or 1% down mortgage with low or negative interest rates backed directly by the government though. Not sure if banks are involved in mortgages there or how that works but that sure seems like it would make home ownership more accessible. I wasn't able to buy a house in my 20s because home values grew faster than I could save the required 20% for one (08-09 didn't help any, either)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DNK posted:

Yeah I’m on board with the depositor bailouts so far, but — at some point — the FDIC should follow their own extremely public and explicit guidance that “up to 250k” means “up to 250k” and not “an infinite backstop to all deposits”.

The argument that the FDIC following its own rules-as-written-and-communicated-for-the-last-25-years will “crush the undeserving” as a means to bail out gamblers with no risk mitigation is farcical.

How about this: all the uninsured depositors will be guaranteed a 30-year 0% loan for the amount that they lost. There you go — solves the short-term cashflow issues (like companies failing to make payroll) while not being an outright handout. I came up with that in all of five seconds. I figure some Fed lifer could do better.

FRC equity shares and corporate bonds are getting wiped out. Those were the gamblers. Hard to call random people living near a branch who used it to deposit paychecks or save for a house “gamblers.”. I’d go a little tougher on any business or VC bank deposits over the limit held there, they should know better.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

pmchem posted:

FRC equity shares and corporate bonds are getting wiped out. Those were the gamblers. Hard to call random people living near a branch who used it to deposit paychecks or save for a house “gamblers.”. I’d go a little tougher on any business or VC bank deposits over the limit held there, they should know better.

randos aren’t depositing more than 250k into their checking accounts

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

but the fed doesn't want banks to fully hedge interest rate risk, as shown by their coolness towards narrow bank applications.

even a fairly aggressive narrow banking proposal isn’t going to let you put a quarter million+ into a payment account, so it won’t protect anyone who isn’t already going to be made whole by the FDIC

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

hypnophant posted:

even a fairly aggressive narrow banking proposal isn’t going to let you put a quarter million+ into a payment account, so it won’t protect anyone who isn’t already going to be made whole by the FDIC

sure, they wouldn't have any special fdic protection, but if an institution is taking short term deposits and parking them in the fed's overnight then they've effectively eliminated interest rate risk (as long as you only categorize risk as the downside only). if the fed raises rates it has almost no impact on their assets

at least historically the fed wasn't eager for such a bank to exist, although post 2008 this is effectively what many money market funds are

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
e: less snarky post when i can type it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

but the fed doesn't want banks to fully hedge interest rate risk
... the interest rate risk will always be there as long as we keep our current system where banks borrow short to lend long. completely eliminating that risk...

I don't believe it's necessary to "fully" hedge interest rate risk, as in, get the risk entirely off the books. Rather, banks need to "reasonably" hedge interest rate risk, by spending enough of their profits on hedging options to lower the risk to a point where a reasonable future projection of rising interest rates doesn't result in insolvency and bank failure.

We can see this is already the case with the many banks that are not, presently, struggling to stay open. SVB and now First Republic represent the tail of a bell curve of banks that have over hedged, reasonably hedged, or under hedged their interest rate risk. But one or two big bank failures represents a systemic risk because of panic resulting in irrational withdrawals, not because all the other banks failed to hedge. So the Fed has to restore confidence, and they're contemplating doing it by bailing out the bank managers who took on unreasonably large amounts of interest rate risk.

One of the ways I think you can hedge against interest rate risk on long-term loans you are holding is by having cash that you can lend at higher long-term rates when rates rise. But banks, of course, hate holding cash (or more broadly, assets, e.g, things that can always be sold for cash, e.g. not debts), which is why regulators have to force them to hold a minimum. And every time regulators relax the minimum securitization requirements a bunch of rear end in a top hat bankers go hog wild and a decade or two later it backfires.

"Oh noes our mortgage portfolios are suddenly not worth what we thought, but we have no way of coping with losses on these portfolios" is not a new problem and it doesn't really demand novel solutions.