Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

It’s made by Daedalic who has made a bunch of adventure games, none of them particularly good. I think it’s less likely an executive play like everyone assumes and just a really bad choice of passion project.

I was about to fight you but then I remembered I was thinking of Wadjet Games not Daedalic, though I did like the Deponia series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah it's looking like Redfall is exactly what I feared would happen.

So sick of studios I've liked chasing the live service bandwagon

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/TWTHEREDDRAGON/status/1652849914794110978

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, what a way for Arkane to go after delivering Dishonored and Prey.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pylons posted:

I'm sad about Arkane. They used to be my favorite studio but I don't think they're ever going to release something the quality of Dishonored/Dishonored 2/Prey again.

Deathloop was GOTY

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The protagonist in fc5 deciding to blow up a perfectly fine missile silo base after liberating it from the bad guys was whack

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Deathloop was GOTY
Deathloop was fun but there's deinitely a downward progression in Arkane games (and I'm saying that as someone who 100% Deathloop and played through Prey four times). I wish someone just reset the genre at the Deus Ex level. Bigger, wonkier immsims.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's well trodden ground but it will never stop being baffling how they made two timeloop games and the developers of the second one intentionally didn't look at or play the first one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I tried the demo of Darkest Dungeon 2 and spent way too long riding the carriage around with only one combat encounter to break it up before I gave up on the game.

Darkest Dungeon 1 already had terrible pacing issues. Every combat encounter felt like a boss fight in length. So I was really hoping the sequel would be better about pacing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah it's looking like Redfall is exactly what I feared would happen.

So sick of studios I've liked chasing the live service bandwagon

It's kinda even worst than that in this case, because Redfall is not a live service game, it just straight up sucks really bad all on its own.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It all went wrong when they never made Dark Messiah 2

Although jesus christ I forgot just how long you spend on Spiderorc Island

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Alright, so May's just about here, here's what's due this month:

WH40K: Boltgun - May 23 - Hell yea, now we're talking my language. Boltgun takes the world of WH40K that for some reason has repeatedly been presented in games as being something I should take seriously, and says no, do not take this seriously actually, this is a very silly looking boomer shooter. Did they obviously pixelize 3D assets? Sure. But it still looks neat. And it'll be a finished game, not 'the first episode' and you have to wait 3 years. Which I always encourage.

Boomer shooters aren't my thing but Boltgun does look fun and I hope it turns out well, one I'll keep an eye on.

The 7th Guest posted:

LOTR: Gollum - May 25 - ...I truly have no idea who this is for. I don't think even LOTR fans care about this.

I don't understand this one either and I wish a new or remastered Battle for Middle Earth will get made.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PlushCow posted:

I don't understand this one either and I wish a new or remastered Battle for Middle Earth will get made.

:3:
https://www.moddb.com/news/age-of-the-ring-version-80 & https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=1006906&st=0&p=10096241&#entry10096241

The gollum game from how I understand it, is basically Thief but you play as Gollum.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The gollum game from how I understand it, is basically Thief but you play as Gollum.
Don't get my hopes up. How long has it been since a proper high-profile stealth'em'up?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Don't get my hopes up. How long has it been since a proper high-profile stealth'em'up?

Don't worry, there is no way this game is going to be good. There's been no hype or marketing.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's not a Thief game unless I can open all the drawers on a dresser in a desperate hunt for a measly few coins.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:stare: holy gently caress

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

zoux posted:

I wonder if in like 200 years future gamers won't know where the green/blue/purple/orange item hierarchy even comes from.

I still don't know what it is, and I play these games. So when something green drops, I'm like... is that good? I actually need to alt-tab out and check to see if green is better than gold or purple, etc. I'm not even new at this, I played Diablo 1 & 2 people! Why is this so hard!?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Every once and a while a game tries to mix up the rarity colors and these villains should be censured at the highest levels.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Serephina posted:

I still don't know what it is, and I play these games. So when something green drops, I'm like... is that good? I actually need to alt-tab out and check to see if green is better than gold or purple, etc. I'm not even new at this, I played Diablo 1 & 2 people! Why is this so hard!?

I can never remember orange and purple and which is the better one. Green and blue I remember because those are the "fill your empty holes" ones early on and then you ignore them

Orv posted:

Every once in a while a game tries to mix up the rarity colors and these villains should be censured at the highest levels.

Oh so that DOES happen and it's not just my imagination? Whew.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Beloved devs spending years and years on a genre that's fallen out of favor by the release date is a cycle that's happened before but I feel like this time around it's especially bad. Destiny-heads are still playing Destiny for their fix, and people who hate the Destiny model HATE the Destiny model.

Orv posted:

Every once and a while a game tries to mix up the rarity colors and these villains should be censured at the highest levels.

Everyone rolls their eyes when a game labels their rarities with the same old colors, but they basically have to or else it'd annoy everyone that's used to it. There's no win.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 1, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Beloved devs spending years and years on a genre that's fallen out of favor by the release date is a cycle that's happened before but I feel like this time around it's especially bad. Destiny-heads are still playing Destiny for their fix, and people who hate the Destiny model HATE the Destiny model.

Nobody is really making Destiny-alikes though? Like yeah a lot of games have gear score as a fundamental property but Destiny didn’t invent that. Redfall is also just a complete game and in no way an MMO. If you really want to make a Destiny-like game you have to pour your heart and soul into making the same mistakes over and over again.

Pigbuster posted:

Everyone rolls their eyes when a game labels their rarities with the same old colors, but they basically have to or else it'd annoy everyone that's used to it. There's no win.

I’ve never once seen someone go “oh boy blue rare gear again, greaaaat” but people always mess it up when a dev switches the colors around. Not that there’s no value in changing things but that’s such a widely understood language why would you change that?

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 1, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Orv posted:

Nobody is really making Destiny-alikes though? Like yeah a lot of games have gear score as a fundamental property but Destiny didn’t invent that. Redfall is also just a complete game and in no way an MMO. If you really want to make a Destiny-like game you have to pour your heart and soul into making the same mistakes over and over again.

From the outside it's sure seemed like it in the past year or two though. Avengers, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad, Redfall, and this is just the stuff I've noticed as a non-loot shooter player, especially with all of them smacking of "had GaaS stripped out desperately"

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Orv posted:

The rarity scale should use a frequency spectrum instead so that top-tier items cause the neighbour's dog to bark uncontrollably every time you pop an end-game boss.

Orv
May 4, 2011

secretly best girl posted:

From the outside it's sure seemed like it in the past year or two though. Avengers, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad, Redfall, and this is just the stuff I've noticed as a non-loot shooter player, especially with all of them smacking of "had GaaS stripped out desperately"

Avengers for sure but I don’t think every game with loot and loot scores is a Destiny game by default but that might be splitting hairs I guess.

Blattdorf posted:

The rarity scale should use a frequency spectrum instead so that top-tier items cause the neighbour's dog to bark uncontrollably every time you pop an end-game boss.

:hmmyes:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't even get everyone in my group of co-op gaming buddies who already has gamepass to give enough of a poo poo about Redfall to install it and try it with me lol.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

My childhood dog would lose his loving poo poo at the sound gems made in Diablo 2.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

My childhood dog would lose his loving poo poo at the sound gems made in Diablo 2.

skull clop

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

You're stealing my bit! :argh:

jk the more people play AOTR the better

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

You're stealing my bit! :argh:

jk the more people play AOTR the better

I think it was you that told me about this to begin with. :D

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

I said come in! posted:

Darkest Dungeon 1 already had terrible pacing issues. Every combat encounter felt like a boss fight in length. So I was really hoping the sequel would be better about pacing.

As someone who found DD1 too grindy and slow, DD2's changes work for me. It streamlines the dungeons down to branching paths and makes each encounter more meaningful rather than being plastered in trash fights and the occasional tough encounter. Hell, the game has a turn limit on ambush encounters so that it doesn't drag out and incentivizes you to smash faster to get loot. You'll find like 7 fights on average, and you'll be putting effort trying to work out how to not get completely wasted.

Outside of the intro map, the cart segments really aren't that long. Frequently shorter than the walks (and requisite backtracking) through empty hallways and rooms of DD1. You can equate the random loot from running things over to the occasional bag in the hallway with items, except this time that random first-aid salve might actually save your run.

At the very least, the status tokens push the system to relying less on percentages and the new relationships lets you watch your team of miserable, irritable jerks form weird love/friendship/jealousy triangles that either save the day or play a part in the downfall of the run.

Still can't help but remember an early run where everyone ended up hating one another early on and nearly party wiped on an end of section boss fight. Dismas held on as the only survivor purely out of spite, just so he could leave the encounter alive to remark it was a clean job. Or the run saved twice by the Occultist in a romance with both other guys in the team as our Hellion just kinda stayed mildly miffed at everyone no matter how many boxing matches or dart throwing contests were had.

I've got complaints about the game, but the pacing isn't one of them. It's mostly in the raw difficulty and how you couldn't opt out of a subclass even if you didn't have the skills to make it work. That and the second boss's mechanics just kinda don't work, in favor of just being a damage/healing race. Those might've been fixed by now, haven't played it in months.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

secretly best girl posted:

if we're talking looter shooters specifically, it got really popular after borderlands made it work in first person, but smacking things and getting loot is old and has literally always been around

destiny's big contribution was a useless but pretty inventory menu

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
destiny's innovation was the insanity of implementing cursors in console game UIs

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah Destiny was just the first non-MMO thing (to my knowledge?) that surfaced an idea of “this is how powerful your gear is overall” because at the end of the day Destiny is still just an ARPG shooter.

The UI thing is that UX designers in games appear to be laboring under some kind of curse, across everyone in the job, where literally none of them have had a good idea despite spending entire careers doing it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

all these looter shooters always vibe me hellgate london and so I've stayed the hell away from all of them

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From what I recall, the Destiny cursor thing has something to do with the amount of art needed to be made if they used something else.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

the guy seems a little too obsessed with ludonarrative dissonance or w/e, but i'll sum up some of the concerns from the review:

- no memorable NPCs
- main 4 characters don't interact with each other in the story much/at all
- there's apparently points of no return, i guess it's like Gears 5 where there's multiple open areas? one for each vampire boss
- boring skill tree which has some multiplayer-only skills
- dying does not respawn enemies, you just lose some money and spawn at the nearest safe house/landmark
- can only place one marker on the map yourself, map lacks detail
- minimal animations/interactions with enemies/NPCs
- little of worth to do in the open world
- bugs, because of course

their score was 4/10

Nothing about this really surprises me. If I recall correctly, in one interview the devs revealed there was no respeccing, which sounds mad when you can play the game solo but there’s multiplayer-focused skills you can burn points on. But I guess that’s the sort of game Redfall is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can see myself playing for like an hour or two tonight on Gamepass and then uninstalling. There's too much great stuff coming out this month and next month to want to give Redfall a chance really. And even that is generous, but i'm morbidly curious.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I said come in! posted:

I can see myself playing for like an hour or two tonight on Gamepass and then uninstalling. There's too much great stuff coming out this month and next month to want to give Redfall a chance really. And even that is generous, but i'm morbidly curious.

Can you imagine launching a game within two weeks of Tears of the Kingdom??? Sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Pretty much where I'm at. Even if the game weren't coming in all :supaburn: , based on what we know and have seen, it flat out isn't the sort of game I'm interested in. I'll be checking it out merely from idle curiosity. If it weren't for gamepass, I'd not be going anywhere near it.

Edit: I hope they make another immsim before inevitable industry churn means they are no longer capable of doing so competently (assuming we haven't already passed that point).

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 1, 2023