Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I thought I was doing alright with the ending and then the credits song hit me hard

gently caress dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’ve been moving slowly through the DLC. Are you able to go back and build ether masts in earlier areas to make it easier to find all of the things?

I tend to spend a lot of time messing around and exploring so I’m over-leveled but also I’m on hard so it still isn’t very easy to beat UM’s and such.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve been moving slowly through the DLC. Are you able to go back and build ether masts in earlier areas to make it easier to find all of the things?

Ether masts in earlier areas are gated behind some movement skills, so yes every area has one but they're not necessarily accessible depending on how much you advanced the story.

Related, a faded question mark means the thing it's pointing at:
a) it's underground/aboveground and you're looking at the wrong map
b) it's the spawn location for a UM but it's the wrong weather/time of the day/phase of the moon/planetary alignment
c) something will appear here once you advance the story but there's nothing right now

it's extremely obvious if case a is happening

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
finished the entire blade trilogy over the past 4 months. I enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Nintendo needs to use some of that mario money and relicense gears :colbert:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

finished the entire blade trilogy over the past 4 months. I enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Nintendo needs to use some of that mario money and relicense gears :colbert:

They'd probably have an easier time getting Saga since Square are absolute bastards when it comes to their properties.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Darth Nat posted:

They'd probably have an easier time getting Saga since Square are absolute bastards when it comes to their properties.

Well, except for Front Mission

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darth Nat posted:

give square a 1 of 1 nft of mario or something. (yeah i forgot square was in the middle of that namco/squeenix licensing debacle)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
*Targets a unique enemy*
A: We will know their name.

:allears:

I'm more a fan of Matthew's RNG to keep skills than I expected. It's real fun when it happens multiple times in a row and I just uppercut dodge tank a UM for like 10 seconds straight.

Alxprit posted:

Glimmer is basically neo Mythra too, so the content just doesn't stop

Glimmer is Teenage Mythra with Pyra's hair color. Which is fine because Mythra was cool while Pyra... existed.

Natural 20 posted:

I would if I had any of the goddamn upgrade materials.

I think there is nothing in XB3 that annoys me more than the sheer number of irreplaceable materials that you need for virtually everything and how easily you get roadblocked if you just happen not to find them.

The next Xenoblade game needs to have a collectopedia that shows where the gently caress you found something and then let you select it as an item of interest that shows up on your minimap, make it an upgrade in the early-mid game if needed, but goddamn. I think XCX had something to that effect but it's been a long time since I played so I might be mistaken.

I didn't care as much in XC3 proper because I just made the ferronis hulks puke out a billion collectables but actually hunting stuff down gets real annoying real fast.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks whomever linked that big ol soundtrack box even if i only found it the day after preorders ended, it was sold out everywhere but managed to get one ordered in japan today.

i dont even have a cd player anymore, but monolithsoft can take my money if they keep doing whatever they did with the series so far

i was going to put a link but the site had 7 copies left according to their page at 6am EST and they all gone now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Finished it just now. I loved it. And I also loved that a major Xenosaga character is explicitly mentioned by name.

Nina posted:

Vector Industries and Philadelphia class cruisers also mentioned. That section is so dense with that stuff it's awesome

I haven't played any of the XBC games but I am a lifelong Xenosaga fan. Can you elaborate on what the new stuff shows as it pertains to Xenosaga?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't played any of the XBC games but I am a lifelong Xenosaga fan. Can you elaborate on what the new stuff shows as it pertains to Xenosaga?

Dmitri Yuriev does a radio interview, vector industries and philadelphia cruisers and exodus project all make references

e: sorry my saga references suck but i do distinctly remember that the eldridge was part of the exodus project and the big ol ship at the beginning of gears

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 1, 2023

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Xenogears spoilers: The radio broadcast mentions new "Philadelphia class cruisers" (same class as the Eldridge from 'gears) being sent out on long range colonization missions

Xenosaga spoilers: The radio mentions a piece of "human rights legislation" implied to be the Species Preservation Act and mentions the Salvator Faction and councilman Dmitri Yuriev. (note that this doesn't line up with the timeline as that takes place 4000+ years after Lost Jerusalem disappears). The radio has a Vector Industries logo on it. At the end, once the worlds combine there's a light coming to it that some speculate is the Elsa.

Xenoblade Chronicles X spoilers: Project Exodus is mentioned and dates line up with the launch of the White Whale

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I'm mostly taking back my complaints about the voice acting. Matthew is the best and Nikol is my adopted son.

Na'el's - "Matthew... Always in fantasy land." Was a great line read.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
really wouldnt surprise me if there is a xeno version of perfect works in the mix and dude is just doing an endless iteration of boy meets girl and the power of friendship and just weaving a wtf storyline out of it while trying to hold the timeline in some kind of order. gears was supposed to be 5 or 6th in the series based on the original end credits

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Microcline posted:

Xenogears spoilers: The radio broadcast mentions new "Philadelphia class cruisers" (same class as the Eldridge from 'gears) being sent out on long range colonization missions

Xenosaga spoilers: The radio mentions a piece of "human rights legislation" implied to be the Species Preservation Act and mentions the Salvator Faction and councilman Dmitri Yuriev. (note that this doesn't line up with the timeline as that takes place 4000+ years after Lost Jerusalem disappears). The radio has a Vector Industries logo on it. At the end, once the worlds combine there's a light coming to it that some speculate is the Elsa.

Xenoblade Chronicles X spoilers: Project Exodus is mentioned and dates line up with the launch of the White Whale

I was cackling when I realized they were dropping all this heavy meta-lore stuff in a background radio broadcast as children play tag in the foreground. What an absolutely incredible decision.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah I had to keep pausing it to read the subtitles since i cant multitask for poo poo it was wild as gently caress.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Microcline posted:

RuBisCO posted:

I was cackling when I realized they were dropping all this heavy meta-lore stuff in a background radio broadcast as children play tag in the foreground. What an absolutely incredible decision.

Appreciate the answers. Thanks all.

Although now it sounds like it was just "remember the thing." Like, if the ending was about all that, I'd be excited for the implications. Maybe it was hyping up something. But now it looks like just Xeno nerd trivia.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NikkolasKing posted:

Although now it sounds like it was just "remember the thing." Like, if the ending was about all that, I'd be excited for the implications. Maybe it was hyping up something. But now it looks like just Xeno nerd trivia.

well.. yeah?

trigger fans got cross at least, gears fans got panty shots and oblique references.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, it definitely was more of an easter egg for Xenonuts, especially given that all of it was really only accessible if you had cutscene subtitles turned on. It was nearly inaudible.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean it would be lame if the Xenoblade games just tied themselves down as pieces of worse games. It’s cool to reference them but Xenoblade is very much a huge step up from Gears and Saga in quality even if I like Gears and sorta like Saga 3.

The references are cool but it’s more important for the game to tell its own story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DLC is all about dat fanservice for past games and they even tied in pre-blade games for the longtime fans.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

I mean it would be lame if the Xenoblade games just tied themselves down as pieces of worse games. It’s cool to reference them but Xenoblade is very much a huge step up from Gears and Saga in quality even if I like Gears and sorta like Saga 3.

The references are cool but it’s more important for the game to tell its own story.

I wasn't looking for connections. I was thinking if the new DLC brought up Xenosaga in a big way, it could be pointing to some future projects or whatnot.

But that dos not seem to be the case and so I return to my cherishing the forgotten Xeno franchise.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I mean we still have Xeno games they’re called Xenoblade, they’re really good.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I wasn't looking for connections. I was thinking if the new DLC brought up Xenosaga in a big way, it could be pointing to some future projects or whatnot.

But that dos not seem to be the case and so I return to my cherishing the forgotten Xeno franchise.

Well there's also a teaser post-credit scene, a blue object in the sky falling to earth. A lot of people think it might be KOS-MOS?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I just want to say that Bioluminescent Bob is a real bastard.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I have now beaten the dlc.

I am still entirely unsure what on earth Matthew's accent is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Chav

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

I just want to say that Bioluminescent Bob is a real bastard.

He's bad for sure but I think the level 90 fight is worse.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mea Tulpa posted:

He's bad for sure but I think the level 90 fight is worse.

What is even the intended way there? Get the Agnian ferronis somewhat above his enrage, get the Kevesi ferronis below chain attack kill range (and probably trigger its enrage because it's at 90%), back to the Agnian ferronis to kill it the hard way, YIPPE, profit?

Because I said gently caress it and cheesed them (kill one, die, kill the other). No tomb, but also no regrets.

Meanwhile the lvl 100 UM has a 125 every half second damage aura. gently caress that poo poo, not even Glimmer has that output. DLC done, I'm moving on to other games until I replay the series again.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fantastic dlc, great ending, great franchise. It’s not quite on par with Torna but it’s doing something different so it’s totally fine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Supremezero posted:

I have now beaten the dlc.

I am still entirely unsure what on earth Matthew's accent is.

Matthew's accent is a modern East London accent most commonly associated with the black community here.

Anyway had fun with the DLC.

I never really got Rex to the point that everyone else seems to have him, permanently sustaining double spinning edges but I did find a way to make him a delete button in chain attacks, so I hit the last boss for something like 10 million damage and blew his entire healthbar in one chain.

I really liked Matthew, I thought he was a great protag and I wish they'd delved a little bit more into his relationship with A, but what can you do. Beyond that I just enjoyed his attitude for the entire game. Rex coming back and being Northern as gently caress was great fun as well, I enjoyed him a bunch and I really like the contrast in wrongs from the villains.

Ultimately I feel that this DLC is probably the weakest of the four bits of Xenoblade I've messed with, 2, Torna, 3 and this. A lot of it, unsurprisingly went over my head because I didn't play 1 and I felt that the party's development across the game felt a little underbaked. I didn't really feel like Glimmer developed at all after she was recruited and she just spent the entire thing kinda *there*.

Beyond that, I, unsurprisingly, think the lean in to checklist style completion systems for character progression is just really bad if you're like me and here to just tour through the main quests and side quests. I never unlocked any of Shulk's skills beyond his first tree because I never found enough tree unlock manuals, for example, so I felt pretty deprived of seeing my characters grow meaningfully stronger across the DLC's runtime. I wouldn't have minded AP for unlocking skills being purely on the collectapedia, but the skill tree unlocks should have been entirely within sidequest content if you're going to insist that they have some sort of condition on them.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Natural 20 posted:

Ultimately I feel that this DLC is probably the weakest of the four bits of Xenoblade I've messed with, 2, Torna, 3 and this. A lot of it, unsurprisingly went over my head because I didn't play 1 and I felt that the party's development across the game felt a little underbaked. I didn't really feel like Glimmer developed at all after she was recruited and she just spent the entire thing kinda *there*.

this is a nod to characters like sharla and morag

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Poor Morag, the one party member that to my knowledge isn't referenced at all (other than being in The Photo). And she was my favorite in 2 despite doing nothing after she joins.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I had a very strong impression of Morag and I really don't remember anything about the finer details of 2's plot so I choose to believe she's no more forgettable than anyone else in that cast. She hits all the right buttons for the exact sort of character I fall in love with.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Darth Nat posted:

Poor Morag, the one party member that to my knowledge isn't referenced at all (other than being in The Photo). And she was my favorite in 2 despite doing nothing after she joins.

That's probably why she never got a mention, Morag as a person was great but she didn't really bring anything to the table other than being the adult in the room.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

That's probably why she never got a mention, Morag as a person was great but she didn't really bring anything to the table other than being the adult in the room.

I don't feel like they would have left her out for that reason, especially since I don't think she's particularly disliked by anyone. After all, Sharla got a clone of herself in the DLC despite being probably the most disliked XC1 party member. I think it's probably more likely that she's just meant to have been a lifelong bachelor like Melia and never had a kid.

I always liked her for being one of the only sensibly-dressed female characters in XC2.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Chapter 4: is there a trick to the dad battle with Nikol and Glimmer? I'm at Level 40 and I still get shredded in seconds.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Optimist Prime posted:

Chapter 4: is there a trick to the dad battle with Nikol and Glimmer? I'm at Level 40 and I still get shredded in seconds.

I guess unlock as many arts, gem and accessory slots for them as you can and dump your affinity into them with the respec kit if you have it. Start the fight as Nikol to pull their initial aggro then switch to Glimmer and stand as far away from him as you can manage while still being in range to heal. Then just use her arts whenever they come off cooldown to keep Nikol topped off and maybe keep the kevesi AOE heal reserved for when one of your characters loses a larger chunk of HP, and the talent art for a moment when you might need iframes. I don't think that it really matters which one you target first so I'd probably go with Shulk since IIRC his AOE bleed is what gave me the most trouble.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i went after shulk the first time around and got utterly trounced, the second time i went after mr smiles and that worked a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Thanks, I'll try that later. I just picked up the affinity refund kit on the cave quest, so I'll take all the unlocks on Rex and transfer them to Nikol. TBH I figured it was one of those fights you were supposed to lose... :v: