Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

mdemone posted:

I demand a show centered around an Imperial defector that becomes a double agent for the Rebels.

I guess the pilot from Rogue One counts too, but we only see him after he defects.

There are multiple episodes in Rebels about the slow burn of Agent Kallus from privileged Imperial Officer to mole to defector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

swickles posted:

There are multiple episodes in Rebels about the slow burn of Agent Kallus from privileged Imperial Officer to mole to defector.

Zeb's reaction when asked "What, who flipped Kallus to the good guys?" was great.

"Uh... I guess I did?!?"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Eiba posted:

All fascists are trying to do "good".

Eh. Sure, there are "true believers", but in a fascist regime a lot of people are doing what they are doing only because it's easier to follow orders rather than oppose them, or because supporting the regime it's more convenient for their personal goals.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Eiba posted:

A villain with understandable motivations is indeed usually a better villain. You went a bit beyond that
Okay, I'll admit that I haven't read all of the Thrawn stuff yet, so I am probably missing a big component of where things go off the rails.

There are, from what I'm reading, at least 4 to 5 books I haven't read through yet. I read four of them before getting side tracked on something else.

I've read:
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Thrawn: Alliances
  • Thrawn: Treason
  • Thrawn: Ascendancy: Chaos Rising
I am also not someone who got into the whole EU, as Star Trek was more my jam early in life. Oh how the turntables on that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

The base commander in Andor. Though we don't see his conversion first hand.

Also the ISB operative in Andor.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
The Officer in Obiwan. Did she flipped or was she always a rebel spy? I forgot.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Chronojam posted:

I kinda read that as the backwoods tribe unable to fly for an hour or whatever after the bird, but the high-end successful tribe could take fifteen minutes to ascend.

That’s also pretty funny to me. The group without helmets has all the same weapons, are experts at jet packing and have a giant fleet. The guys with helmets live in sewers and caves and are routinely eaten by wildlife. When the big speech about “We’ve lived on the edge of extinction for over a 1000 years” came I couldn’t help but laugh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Madurai posted:

Jury is still out on Lonni considering Luthen is blackmailing him using his family. He could just as easily crack under suspicion and sell out Luthen.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

unruly posted:

Okay, I'll admit that I haven't read all of the Thrawn stuff yet, so I am probably missing a big component of where things go off the rails.

There are, from what I'm reading, at least 4 to 5 books I haven't read through yet. I read four of them before getting side tracked on something else.

I've read:
I am also not someone who got into the whole EU, as Star Trek was more my jam early in life. Oh how the turntables on that.

Oh yeah, it’s going to be a different view for those of us who started with the OG Thrawn trilogy, at his most Imperial, or Rebels where he is a big old paternalistic colonialist.

Young Thrawn is a whole thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mdemone posted:

I think it would be nice to have an Imperial do the Finn thing and have an epiphany that leads them to rethink their allegiance. Have we seen that, ever?

There's an ex-storm trooper in Andor, the officer on the base in the same arc.
Oh and Bill Burr

Madurai posted:

I thought this guy joined the ISB explicitly to be a double agent. If anything he turned to the empire because he's having a kid and just wants out.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

unruly posted:

I've read:
When you mentoned you were re-reading the Thrawn trilogy, I thought you actually meant the original Heir to the Empire trilogy. Seems strange to start out with anything else!

For my part, the most recent EU books I've read are - in order of appearance (whether I actually read them in that order I don't remember) - Tatooine Ghost, Survivor's Quest (that is to say I have it, but I don't recall anything about it) and Outbound Flight; notice a pattern? And now I'm wondering whether after all these years it would be worth picking up some newer books, again about Thrawn.

Anyway the only Imperial defector who matters is Kyle Katarn. :hellyeah:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, you gotta read the OG Zahn trilogy. It's so loving good and captures everything good about Star Wars.

Even bullshit LUUKE

Maybe be like me and listen to Linken Park's Meteora when reading. :lol: I bought that album when I was visiting the UK and then found the Zahn trilogy in a used bookstore. The songs sorta lined up with the story. :3:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, you gotta read the OG Zahn trilogy. It's so loving good and captures everything good about Star Wars.
Do this.

quote:

Maybe be like me and listen to Linken Park's Meteora when reading. :lol: I bought that album when I was visiting the UK and then found the Zahn trilogy in a used bookstore. The songs sorta lined up with the story. :3:
Do not do this.

P.S.

quote:

Even bullshit LUUKE
Considering it was Zahn it's sort of surprising he didn't go for Lu'uke or maybe just L'uke instead.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: It's a surprisingly good album and I am a giant metal snob. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2H4l9RpkwM

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Rip Chester

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am half joking of course. I had just bought it and wanted to get into it and it lined up with those books. The same thing happened when I read the Steve Jobs biography and Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" came out so I was listening to it non-stop and reading. Some of the more chill songs lined up with some of the many low points in Jobs life. It's kinda neat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

unruly posted:

I've read:

Whoa whoa whoa, you haven't read the original Thrawn trilogy from the 90's? Either that's on you for leaving out some incredibly crucial context for this discussion, or that's on me for being too old to have conversations like this on the internet these days. Probably the latter.

The Thrawn you're reading about is a bit of a reinvention in itself from what we all knew for years. I'm re-reading Heir to the Empire right now, and it holds up like crazy. I think Zahn nailed Thrawn's character right out of the gate, and he's only been watering him down ever since. There's still some good stuff in those books, but you really owe it to yourself to read the Thrawn books from 91-93. They're not canon anymore, but they're clearly going to be an inspiration for at least the Ahsoka show, and they're just good books. And, while not exactly the same, Thrawn from Rebels is probably closer to the one from the original books than he is the one from the books you've read.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh. Sure, there are "true believers", but in a fascist regime a lot of people are doing what they are doing only because it's easier to follow orders rather than oppose them, or because supporting the regime it's more convenient for their personal goals.

Exactly. Every fascist regime is made up of sincere ideologues; capitalists, grifters and scammers trying to make money; functionaries from the previous government or military jockeying for position and favor; sadistic psychopaths looking for violence; cowed people who follow along to survive; and a whole lot of other types. Almost by definition, fascism requires a lot cynical, lying assholes to work. And it's always half grift-n-graft.

The far right in the US at present has all these types. The Empire has all these types.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 1, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Imperial defectors becoming rebels are such a massively overused trope at this point I'm almost rolling my eyes every time we get another story beat featuring one. You'd think the Empire would go full scorched earth on traitors and their families after having it happen so. many. times.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Parkingtigers posted:

Imperial defectors becoming rebels are such a massively overused trope at this point I'm almost rolling my eyes every time we get another story beat featuring one. You'd think the Empire would go full scorched earth on traitors and their families after having it happen so. many. times.

Well Krennic tried to but Forrest Whitaker had dug a Hole

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

swickles posted:

Maybe I will finally watch Rebels

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I guessed correctly there would be a page for this on Wookiepedia. Now bear in mind there are some outdated stuff and duplicates because of legends/new canon, but there are 263 individual imperials who defected listed there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Parkingtigers posted:

I guessed correctly there would be a page for this on Wookiepedia. Now bear in mind there are some outdated stuff and duplicates because of legends/new canon, but there are 263 individual imperials who defected listed there.

Not that bad when you consider the size of the empire tbh. That’s like one defector for what, every thousand planets?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

skasion posted:

Not that bad when you consider the size of the empire tbh. That’s like one defector for what, every thousand planets?

At its peak the Galactic Empire had approximately 1.5 million member planets.

bigtag
Jan 21, 2023

by vyelkin
where should I start with star trek?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bigtag posted:

The Cage.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

Planets with only one town with one bar and one biome.

Lol scale in Star Wars is ridiculous to justify.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Burning_Monk posted:

I think those would count in the sixty-nine million colonies, protectorates and puppet state directly controlled by it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Let's not go crazy with the nostalgia goggles here.

I agree it's a useful read, especially given that they're evidently going to be mined for content. But I spent way too much of the book going "No, gently caress you," to the direction it was headed. It doesn't "capture what was good about Star Wars," nearly so much as it bent everything after it to fit.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’ve been playing Far Cry 6 and digging the hell out of it. Far Cry: Dark Forces would be an optimal stormtrooper murdering experience.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

Wow! That's about one clone trooper per planet

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Burning_Monk posted:

I really got a laugh out of the scene in Mando season 3 where all the pirate-attacked town members assemble away from the city, and there's like 40 of them. Like, what exactly are they storing in all those buildings? The emptiness of towns and settlements across the galaxy was always a thing, but that took it to the next level. You have this whole inhabitable planet and there are 40 people living on it. Even in Andor, the much more sizable and realistically--scaled industry town seems a bit small to matter that much (aside from economic importance). SW is a setting where 200 people in a Podunk town are just as important as planet-sprawling cities. Sometimes it makes sense; sometimes it's just hilariously out of scale. The empire spends so many resources holding down hick agricultural worlds.

With Mando, the show has a problem making any location actually seem alive or inhabited.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

bigtag posted:

DS9, then work your way back through TNG and TOS. Skip most of the rest.

Season 3 of Picard is curiously decent and so are parts of Strange New Worlds, but you can skip Voyager (it's sorta fun), Discovery, and Enterprise altogether.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Love Rat posted:

I really got a laugh out of the scene in Mando season 3 where all the pirate-attacked town members assemble away from the city, and there's like 40 of them. Like, what exactly are they storing in all those buildings? The emptiness of towns and settlements across the galaxy was always a thing, but that took it to the next level. You have this whole inhabitable planet and there are 40 people living on it. Even in Andor, the much more sizable and realistically--scaled industry town seems a bit small to matter that much (aside from economic importance). SW is a setting where 200 people in a Podunk town are just as important as planet-sprawling cities. Sometimes it makes sense; sometimes it's just hilariously out of scale. The empire spends so many resources holding down hick agricultural worlds.

With Mando, the show has a problem making any location actually seem alive or inhabited.
One show hired extras and filmed on location.
The other filmed inside the world's most advanced green screen, and the fire marshal counted heads

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

One show hired extras and filmed on location.
The other filmed inside the world's most advanced green screen

Indeed. And it definitely shows.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Love Rat posted:

DS9, then work your way back through TNG and TOS. Skip most of the rest.

Season 3 of Picard is curiously decent and so are parts of Strange New Worlds, but you can skip Voyager (it's sorta fun), Discovery, and Enterprise altogether.

Finish with Galaxy Quest

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mando and BoBF did use sets+extensions for some exterior stuff, just nowhere near the same scale as Andor.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/ATRightMovies/status/1652726787200233479
Lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I keep seeing that and I still hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl