Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
They should make a new igloo, and make it 2D animated. This time make the framing devices interns at some fancy new company or something doing research on old suits and have their reactions generally be things like "What the gently caress, why is this powered by war crimes?" and then in the end instead of having them all do a grand speech about how Zeon could have won if they'd just been given a chance or something, they just make another cute haro machine and become rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
An Igloo set during the 0080s-90s where the protagonists are an Anaheim Electronics engineering team designing suits for literally everyone would be fun.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Darth Walrus posted:

An Igloo set during the 0080s-90s where the protagonists are an Anaheim Electronics engineering team designing suits for literally everyone would be fun.

The guy who decided to put the civilian crowd control machine gun in the Q.U.E.L.'s codpiece

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nuebot posted:

They should make a new igloo, and make it 2D animated. This time make the framing devices interns at some fancy new company or something doing research on old suits and have their reactions generally be things like "What the gently caress, why is this powered by war crimes?" and then in the end instead of having them all do a grand speech about how Zeon could have won if they'd just been given a chance or something, they just make another cute haro machine and become rich.

Darth Walrus posted:

Tie it into GBO2 to help explain where they keep digging out one off and custom units for the players to use

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth Walrus posted:

An Igloo series about the R&D guys in the Zanscare Empire.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BESPA

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nuebot posted:

Jaburo Wars

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's all about some AE toadie trying to shitcan the Zeta Gundam.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

drrockso20 posted:

Tie it into GBO2 to help explain where they keep digging out one off and custom units for the players to use

That's just Return of Johnny Ridden

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

It's all about some AE toadie trying to shitcan the Zeta Gundam.

Why would they do that, in either Zeta's depiction of them as using AEUG as their personal militia to fulfill Spacenoid ideals or more modern depictions of them solely as double dealing war mongers?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Why would they do that, in either Zeta's depiction of them as using AEUG as their personal militia to fulfill Spacenoid ideals or more modern depictions of them solely as double dealing war mongers?

Professional jealousy - much of its development was outsourced to some weird psychic teenager working for one of their pet militias.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I just finished watching Doan's Island. I decided to go with the dub and I'm quite happy to report that the dub is excellent, with one giant glaring exception: Doan himself. Don't get me wrong here, Mike Smith doesn't do a bad job but he definitely feels miscast to my ear. He has quite a deep voice that is very husky and doesn't really match with Doan himself. It only stands out so much because this might otherwise be the best Gundam dub that NYAV Post has put out. Gianni Matragrano doesn't get much to do besides scream but that's what Gianni does best. Lucien Dodge is also quite a worthy successor to Brad Swaile. Despite voicing Amuro in Origin and Hathaway, this is his first time really being in a leading role and he nails it.

Special note I have to give to the voice actors for the kids. I'm pretty sure they used actual children for most of them. If that's the case they had a hell of a good voice director because these kids sounded great, Julio, Kikka, Katz and Letz especially.

I quite enjoyed this film, though I wouldn't call it a must see. To me it feels a lot like Battlestar Galactica: Razor. It's a self contained story that you can watch on its own but it does also have some expectations that you know what is going on around the story itself. It's a story set in the One Year War, same as you'd watch a World War 2 movie and be expected to know or at least hear about some of the big events that happened. But the story itself is a pretty tight character focus for Amuro and Doan himself, and I really appreciated the way that both characters were portrayed primarily through their actions. The film tells you exactly why Doan would desert without ever needing to stop the film for an exposition dump. It also keeps things ambiguous enough to keep you guessing if his altruism is genuine or just a cover. Amuro, god, this movie does Amuro so well. The animation is so loving good at getting across what a socially awkward dork he is.

Plotwise, I felt that the doomsday device was a bit tacked on and didn't really affect the core of the story. You could have had the Southern Cross show up without the doomsday nuke plan and just have them meting out their revenge on Doan for abandoning them. M'Quve and Revil's scenes were more cameos than anything else. It doesn't really matter because as I said above the movie is really, really good at conveying information about Doan without stopping things for an exposition dump. The Southern Cross ended up being kinda pushovers in the end but it doesn't really matter because they served their narrative purpose well and we got some really good fight scenes out of them.

This movie is very pretty, and also very funny. Hayato, Job and Kai getting their rear end kicked by a goat was good. Sleggar being a drunken idiot who pulls off an insane aerial kill before completely botching his landing was great. I love how unafraid it was to be cartoony where needed. It's so expressive and really goofy but it just works in my eyes. The CGI for the Mobile Suits was also very good looking. Whatever techniques they started using in Hathaway look just as good here too, and it is a big step up over the Origin CGI.

Overall this was a solid, fun film. I hope that they keep doing more stuff with this Origin style because it looks great and Yaz just gets these characters in a way I'm not sure even Tomino did. Nobody felt like they were being exaggerated for effect like a nostalgia baiting film might want to do. The White Base crew just felt like themselves, expressed with all the confidence that forty years of history gets you.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 1, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Yas has already confirmed Doan would be the last Origin-ish thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Well if it is at least they went out on a good note. I'd like more, I'd love a full on Origin take for 0079, but as far as a sorta-prequel film series and one solid rear end adventure movie goes, I'd say it's been a successful venture.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like an Origin remake of 0079 is like their Break Glass in Case of Emergency

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh probably. But as it stands, even though Origin is technically alternate canon, as a product the film series fills in the gaps of the story for people who want to know more about the run up to the OYW and a pretty drat good retelling of an infamous episode that many haven't seen. It's about as complete as you can get.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like an Origin remake of 0079 is like their Break Glass in Case of Emergency

I would put actual money on them having a lot of moving parts for it ready to go and they're just running the clock out until Tomino dies so he doesn't say a bunch of outta pocket stuff about it in interviews.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I would put actual money on them having a lot of moving parts for it ready to go and they're just running the clock out until Tomino dies so he doesn't say a bunch of outta pocket stuff about it in interviews.

They're hoping he croaks in the next 6 years so they can bust it out for the 50th.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

look they're never gonna finish thunderbolt but they at least need to finish hathaway before they start that up, and that's at least another 5 years right

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched the sub of Cucuruz Doan’s because it has my original beautiful shithead son Kai Shiden, and there’s only so much of that to go around (I think at this point all I’m missing of him from the movies/TV is Unicorn), but I might have to watch the dub because they Got Gianni.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Gianni plays Egba Atler and really knows how to play an angry gorilla stuffed into a uniform.

Also Kai calls Bright "Dot eyes" and Bright gets pissed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

look they're never gonna finish thunderbolt but they at least need to finish hathaway before they start that up, and that's at least another 5 years right

They also gotta get around to Unicorn 2

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Waffleman_ posted:

What's going on with Chars high mobility Zaku in Armuro's dream? it feels like a tease to me..

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

who doesn't dream of the Red Comet tbh

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I would take that bet in a heartbeat because I doubt Tomino would say anything much beyond "why are you repeating a thing I did 40 years ago", which he already basically said about NT anyway, and I don't think Banrise or audiences care that much that Tomino can be grumpy. This is up there with the almost conspiracy theory level narratives around Banrise just greenlighting G-Reco in order to keep Tomino busy so he doesn't bad mouth other projects.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tomino dying may be a good sign that enough time has passed that the original show needs to be reintroduced to the newest generation. but OG gundam is kind of a cultural touchstone there right? it'd be like, idk, remaking the original star wars trilogy for us. probably as profitable as any other venture, so i have to imagine it's sitting at "medium priority" for bandai.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/epiclinksam/status/1652768318778908672?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
When Suletta asks Heero when his birthday is, he refuses to tell her. After she presses him further, he threatens to kill her.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
okay but Suletta would have a normal human reaction to that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Miorine would invite Heero to her birthday because her crummy dad told her to and Suletta would be standing there clapping as she watched.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to hear treize and prospera have a conversation on literally any topic

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Do you think wu fei and guel would get along?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I would pay to see wu fei and his stupid extendo-arm gundam get dismantled by suletta and eri

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ninjewtsu posted:

I would pay to see wu fei and his stupid extendo-arm gundam get dismantled by suletta and eri

In that moment Wufei would invent Misogyny 2.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

The Sequel to Misogyny?!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gripweed posted:

"You didn't beat me, your Gundam did."
"My Gundam is also a woman."

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ninjewtsu posted:

Do you think wu fei and guel would get along?

Wu Fei would help Guel trash the greenhouse, but would be disappointed he changed after Suletta came along. But Wu Fei would fuckin looooove the Asticassia dueling system.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I get the feeling Duo would have a grand ol time just chilling on The Couch, talking poo poo with Secilia.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Trowa moonlights as an Elan body double, but only using traditional disguise techniques. Somehow it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Wacky hijinks registering the Maganac Corps as students for a team battle