Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
wrestling fan yells at stadium*

*now featuring "wrestler yells at stadium"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I am told that account is run by Davey Girl Smith Jr not Davey Boy Smith Jr so it's allowed as I believe she is not a wrestler.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

There's mad and then there is getting mad at the Wembley Stadium account.

https://twitter.com/IANdrewTheGiant/status/1652324408831143937

tbf I am all for dunking on Britain, but lmao @ specifically getting mad at a football stadium's Twitter account

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

coconono posted:

Im so confused I like bray Wyatt’s bullshit and danhausen’s bullshit??? Am I broken

Only if you also like Hardy family lore too

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sega 32X posted:

Only if you also like Hardy family lore too

Yes!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

if liking the Hardy Family and Danhausen makes me broken, don't you dare try and fix me

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/DemonEvilMuscle/status/1652712796973576192?t=iRW90NdBXxZ7TBkeXX3MDQ&s=19

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Please ignore these other black champions and all these other Women's World champions of other minorities

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Nyla Rose is mixed race African American and Oneida.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

coconono posted:

Im so confused I like bray Wyatt’s bullshit and danhausen’s bullshit??? Am I broken

Oh god. You're a wrestling fan

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Rarity posted:

Please ignore these other black champions and all these other Women's World champions of other minorities

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"Bill Watts wasn't racist because JYD was his top guy" logic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Some of my best champions are Black." :smugdog:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

"Bill Watts wasn't racist because JYD was his top guy" logic

Not to mention Ernie Ladd booked most of JYD's top guy run, and was probably the first black booker in any prominent US territory.

Back on topic, Jade Cargill might not be a world champion per se, but she's an undefeated champion who is a major part of AEW's marketing strategy.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/WrestlingGuru18/status/1652725119305895936?t=XusC7c2VPTDg_y4HcsDJDQ&s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol amazing

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

The longest running Champion in AEW is a black woman.

"please, ignore that fact!"

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 1, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aew can have issues being mostly white in title lineages AND wwe can be owned by a crazy old racist

Two things can be true

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Aew can have issues being mostly white in title lineages AND wwe can be owned by a crazy old racist

Two things can be true

I think AEW does pretty well considering it's not even 4 years old.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Oh my god lol. Does this count as a milkshake duck? Is there another term for an rear end in a top hat who is outed as a bigger rear end in a top hat and hypocrite?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shard posted:

Oh my god lol. Does this count as a milkshake duck? Is there another term for an rear end in a top hat who is outed as a bigger rear end in a top hat and hypocrite?

yeah, a racist

https://twitter.com/Malorn597745/status/1652906949862670337

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Joseph “The Demon “Albanese

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rotinaj posted:

Two things can be true

I was curious to see what the representation of AEW titles actually was so I ran the numbers on all the champions

AEW Title: 0 of 9
AEW Women's Title: 4 of 7
AEW International Title: 0 of 2
TNT Title: 8 of 18
TBS Title: 1 of 1
FTW Title: 2 of 3
Tag Title: 7 of 22
Trios: 2 of 12

Aside from Big Plat I'd say they're doing pretty well?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

I think AEW does pretty well considering it's not even 4 years old.

They have had one black female champion and one black male tag champion, then two dudes who are mixed race. And when people were making comments about how AEW hasnt pushed many Black people, the next big announcement was hiring Jay Lethal
:negative:

Aew could be worse but it could also be better

Edit: you know, i am totes wrong. The vibe is still there because not many of those runs were very good or memorable, but they have been doing way better than my memory told me.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

rotinaj posted:

Two things can be true

They aren't both true though. Unless you have an unstated premise like 'the men's world championship is the only belt that matters' or there's a quota or other formula you're operating on for belt distribution.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolness Averted posted:

They aren't both true though. Unless you have an unstated premise like 'the men's world championship is the only belt that matters' or there's a quota or other formula you're operating on for belt distribution.

Yeah well maybe i have forgotten that the years 2022 and 2023 happened at all and have massively improved the numbers of minority champions, did you ever think of that, smart guy

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rotinaj posted:

Two things can be true

Not....really. The men's world title has always just been on the person it needs to be on for story and business reasons and all the other titles have tons of PoC, with some of the best reigns. We're not that far removed from the tag titles being a totally black story.

EDIT: And I am beaten by like a million miles, nevermind.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rotinaj posted:

They have had one black female champion and one black male tag champion, then two dudes who are mixed race. And when people were making comments about how AEW hasnt pushed many Black people, the next big announcement was hiring Jay Lethal
:negative:

Aew could be worse but it could also be better

Edit: you know, i am totes wrong. The vibe is still there because not many of those runs were very good or memorable, but they have been doing way better than my memory told me.

You could just say you’re wrong without the qualifier. You’re not just a little bit wrong you’re hilariously wrong on your numbers and it’s not a “wasn’t memorable” issue when you completely overlook The Acclaimed who are the hottest team in the company were just champions, that’s a “I don’t follow the product” issue

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

didn't mean to say out loud.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 1, 2023

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What would be the numbers if we add hispanic, asian and others to the mix? They'll look better, the numbers don't lie and they spell disaster at Sacrifice.

Awful joke but Shida and Riho were world champion for quite long, add Lucha Bros as Tag champions, trios and now ROH tag champions too. Cept for big plat, the numbers aren't bad at all?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MJeff posted:

Not....really. The men's world title has always just been on the person it needs to be on for story and business reasons and all the other titles have tons of PoC, with some of the best reigns. We're not that far removed from the tag titles being a totally black story.

EDIT: And I am beaten by like a million miles, nevermind.

and for a long time WWE had nearly all the best black talent already signed, the people left were Lee Moriarty who they signed and honestly needs a bit more refinement but hes great, Jay Lethal who was problematic as gently caress but they signed anyway and has managed to carve out a massive niche for himself, and Jonathan Greshem who was signed to non-TK ROH and when he did get to AEW boy did he blow it. Hell they struck gold with random Dark jobber Will Hobbs in the pandemic that no one even had eyes on.

WWE releasing Keith Lee and especially Swerve has opened the chance though for a black champion as they have everything to make it work. Swerve should be world champion already i dont even care if it doesnt make sense he is so good at everything.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The current AEW world champion who is set up to be the top star of the company for the next 15 or so years is a minority.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The current AEW world champion who is set up to be the top star of the company for the next 15 or so years is a minority.

He's leaving next year, don't you watch the product??

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

JUNGLE BOY posted:

You could just say you’re wrong without the qualifier. You’re not just a little bit wrong you’re hilariously wrong on your numbers and it’s not a “wasn’t memorable” issue when you completely overlook The Acclaimed who are the hottest team in the company were just champions, that’s a “I don’t follow the product” issue

They would be the two mixed race guys i mentioned in that post, whereas the “wasn’t memorable” guy i mentioned was scorp sky

I did entirely and completely forget about swerve in our glory, however

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are you paper bag testing the acclaimed lmao

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
"I'm not as racist as the company I'm hating on!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Alaois posted:

are you paper bag testing the acclaimed lmao

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
rotinaj admitted they were wrong about titles in AEW, so it feels like we can move on. Getting into weird race science stuff or explanations of why people of Asian and Pacific Heritage don't count as non-white champs, or finding the tweet where Max joked about 'The House of Half Black' to decide which athletes fall where in racial identity is probably also not gonna be a good time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Coolness Averted posted:

rotinaj admitted they were wrong about titles in AEW, so it feels like we can move on. Getting into weird race science stuff or explanations of why people of Asian and Pacific Heritage don't count as non-white champs, or finding the tweet where Max joked about 'The House of Half Black' to decide which athletes fall where in racial identity is probably also not gonna be a good time.

being fair to Max on that, The Acclaimed, Ricky Starks, and Top Flight did do a "Half Blackpool Combat Club" pic at about the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lamuella posted:

being fair to Max on that, The Acclaimed, Ricky Starks, and Top Flight did do a "Half Blackpool Combat Club" pic at about the same time.

Oh yeah Max has done that gag at least twice, and both times it was photos he was in. I just meant the discussion gets weird if we start arguing over identities that can be fluid from moment to moment as if they're static in all contexts.