Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

The fact that the wheel/tire is like 10" pushed further out than it should be puts a shitload of extra wear on the hubs, right? So loving stupid. Plus it throws rocks into everyones windshields constantly.

Yep, you're giving the wheel more leverage against the hub the further you push it away from the original mounting face. This dipshit's mods definitely accelerated that wear and eventual failure. But at the same time, hub bearings are pretty loving tough and I really doubt that this went from "silent and smooth" to "yeet" just like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks everyone about the cord, I figured it was something like that. I've actually also got a Vantrue N4 that should work off the USB port but just the shape of it and mount system makes it a lot more obtrusive than the U1000 (which I got for free from Thinkware when my previous Thinkware poo poo the bed in the middle of an accident)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

I really doubt that this went from "silent and smooth" to "yeet" just like that.

Absolutely true, which is one of the reasons this whole thing makes my blood boil. Nobody can guarantee that if there were two infants in car carriers in that Kia, and/or a frail mother in law, whoever, that all would have survived the flip. All due to careless actions of the driver.

It would be one thing if the truck was factory stock and making noise from being run into the ground, and the poor driver didn't notice before the wheel let go. No, this driver made a conscious choice to go out and spend money either buying this truck modified or modifying this truck, then ignoring it/pushing on when it was showing obvious signs of not being road worthy.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Quote =/= edit

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

bird with big dick posted:

The fact that the wheel/tire is like 10" pushed further out than it should be puts a shitload of extra wear on the hubs, right? So loving stupid. Plus it throws rocks into everyones windshields constantly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The Viofo 129 Duo Pro has a $50 off coupon, putting it at like $195, vs the $133 of the 129 Plus.

Should I go for 4K or save ~$60? Any chance that the 4K model can pull somewhat good footage for travelogue b-roll use, or should I go for the cheaper model with potentially better thermal management and night performance for use as an everyday dashcam and just use a GoPro for when I want to film something that looks better?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Viofo 129 Duo Pro has a $50 off coupon, putting it at like $195, vs the $133 of the 129 Plus.

Should I go for 4K or save ~$60? Any chance that the 4K model can pull somewhat good footage for travelogue b-roll use, or should I go for the cheaper model with potentially better thermal management and night performance for use as an everyday dashcam and just use a GoPro for when I want to film something that looks better?
Not sure how Youtube's compression might hurt them but here's some sample clips off my 129 Pro from the last time I dumped my save folder.

Front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEqsjABxO-s
Rear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egaZ6EWipug
Front Night w/ bright lights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDfWe5s3ngk
No rear cam to go with this one because I had my bike on the back so it was mostly blocked.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 28, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Higher resolution helps you zoom in with greater detail. So when you need to see that car's license plate, this might be the detail that saves the day. But higher resolution also means more space used on the memory card

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ok Comboomer posted:

4K is almost certainly a waste of money.

https://www.slrlounge.com/best-dash-cam-for-your-car/#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20virtually%20all%20vehicle,often%20a%20very%20similar%20lens.

tl;dr - Virtually all dashcams use the same lens and hardware.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm thinking about picking up the A129 Plus or Pro duo-- Or possibly one of the Garmin models, I really can't decide.

Regardless, I want to use one of the adapter cables to power either camera from my Homelink mirror in my Miata. Am I correct that if I choose either of these brands of cameras, I should get the 5V USB adapter? Based on the available versions, it looks like Blackvue and Thinkware use a different type of plug for power.

https://mx5things.com/collections/mazda-mx-5-rf/products/cable-for-plug-n-play-installation-blackvue-dashcam

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dashcam talk has a list of current recs:

https://dashcamtalk.com/

that adapter should work if you have a homelink mirror

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a, uh, interesting adapter. Wonder if someone makes one for Toyota? That would save me from digging into the headliner for power - my original plan was to tap into the autodimming mirror wiring for switched 12V; if that wound up not being an option (since the outside mirrors also auto-dim), I was going to tap into the sunroof wiring.

Nearly every autodimming and/or Homelink mirror is made by Gentex anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 1, 2023

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the A129 Plus or Pro duo-- Or possibly one of the Garmin models, I really can't decide.

Regardless, I want to use one of the adapter cables to power either camera from my Homelink mirror in my Miata. Am I correct that if I choose either of these brands of cameras, I should get the 5V USB adapter? Based on the available versions, it looks like Blackvue and Thinkware use a different type of plug for power.

https://mx5things.com/collections/mazda-mx-5-rf/products/cable-for-plug-n-play-installation-blackvue-dashcam
If you happen to know someone that works for Garmin they can get like ~40-50% off stuff.

Anyway for mirror adapters, Dongar Technologies seemed like a name that came up regularly when I've looked, just got/installed an adapter for my Hyundai recently. Looks like they have a few for Mazdas and a bunch of stuff for Toyotas for the poster above. They're available on Amazon too, although for mine it was on sale for $10 off directly from them.

One note for mine is that it said it was for auto dimming mirrors only, but mine isn't and worked fine. Still had the harness (presumably) for some buttons on the mirror. I just searched around and found some guy on Reddit mentioning it working with the same car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nice! Thanks for the heads up on that.

As I mentioned earlier, pretty much every mirror that has any active stuff is made by Gentex, but the plugs are different on every make. I had a 2015 Kia Optima mirror in my Crown Victoria (it just had wires coming out of it when I bought it from a Kia dealer; constant or switched +12V for Homelink, switched +12V for the compass and auto dimming, ground). I wound up wiring it to the same wires I used for my dashcam. Still have it, and it would be pretty easy to swap into my current car (08 Lexus ES350), but it'd be weird having Homelink on both the ceiling console and mirror (the Homelink on the Kia mirror is a bit newer and works with most door openers currently on the market; the Homelink built into the car... doesn't).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I use a Dongar adapter for my CX-30’s powered mirror with an A129 Pro Duo and it works just fine. Definitely recommend it if you don’t need parking mode or always-on draw.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 1, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One thing about using one of those Dongars is that if your car has auto start/stop it may shut off every time it stops the motor. Thats how it works with Fords anyway. I was going to just permanently turn off the auto start/stop to avoid this but then the dashcam I want to use needs 12v so the adapter wont work anyway.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

japtor posted:

If you happen to know someone that works for Garmin they can get like ~40-50% off stuff.

Okay, thinking about biting the bullet on the Garmin Mini 2. Is there a particular memory card I should pick?

This one seems to check the boxes, I don't know if I should be thinking about a larger or smaller memory card. I think Garmin says the mini 2 supports a min of 8 GB and max of 512.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1692705-REG/sandisk_sdsqxav_256g_an6ma_256gb_extreme_uhs_i_microsd.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Look for a "high endurance" memory card, they're designed to stand up to the constant rewrites you'll see in a dash cam.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endu...cs%2C145&sr=1-3

Size isn't hugely important, depending how much you drive a 256gb could last weeks of driving. Just need to remember to pull a clip before it gets overwritten should you need to. Also most cameras have some kind of protect button where it'll lock the last recording, so you can hit that and not worry about copying it off before it gets overwritten.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

opengl posted:

Also most cameras have some kind of protect button where it'll lock the last recording, so you can hit that and not worry about copying it off before it gets overwritten.
And in the case of the Garmin mini there's only two buttons to begin with, that save/lock button and a mic on/off one. Also has some voice control thing if you're into that, seems to work ok enough.

There's a beep you turn on or off in the settings from the phone app, nice for confirmation of stuff but comes out really screechy/loud on the videos if you're recording sound...like so:

https://imgur.com/a/XFlFhOL

(Zoomed and cropped to hell to get that random sidewalk highlight. Also no clue how to embed Imgur videos, if that's possible)

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Looking to set up my car with dashcams, and I've noticed that most camera recommendations are just front and back setup, or even just front. Kits with side cams seem significantly more expensive (like the Rexing R4-4 I just randomly found).

My question is, is do the sidecams provide very much utility? Or are the front and rear cameras generally considered sufficient? I would much rather get a kit recommended in this thread (Vifio A129 Plus Duo) than try and spend significantly more on a different model/setup for something I genuinely know nothing about.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Manyorcas posted:

Looking to set up my car with dashcams, and I've noticed that most camera recommendations are just front and back setup, or even just front. Kits with side cams seem significantly more expensive (like the Rexing R4-4 I just randomly found).

My question is, is do the sidecams provide very much utility? Or are the front and rear cameras generally considered sufficient? I would much rather get a kit recommended in this thread (Vifio A129 Plus Duo) than try and spend significantly more on a different model/setup for something I genuinely know nothing about.

What are your requirements? Most things you want to capture are, at least for some part of the time, either in the front or back of your car most of the time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The lenses on dashcams are incredibly wide angle; front and rear are going to pick up at least someone zipping past you just before sideswiping you, and enough detail to show the front of the car that just ran a red light and ripped your front end off when you had a green light (usually enough for a make/model at the least).

I've only seen 4 camera setups on stuff like garbage trucks. Not saying they don't have their place, I've just only seen them on heavy trucks (mainly garbage trucks and trucks with fixed cargo areas - pretty pointless on an 18 wheeler). The ones I installed at a previous job supported up to 5 cameras (with the windshield camera having an optional in-cab camera), but we just did the one windshield camera w/driver cam.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
It's a normal sized 4-door car, the wide angle on the lenses was exactly what I wanted to know, and the "garbage trucks use 4 cameras" gives me a good frame of reference why 2 is sufficient.

Thank you both a ton!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also you don't necessarily need footage of the actual car that hit hit you to claim liability. Even if someone does come at you straight from the side in the camera's dead spot and T-bone you, when you go to insurance you can still give them that footage of the crash and say "hey look i was driving like a sane normal person, you can see there was a red light on the cross lane and no cars in sight when I proceeded into the intersection, etc etc".

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The important thing to prove is your position during the accident, the lane you're in, the color of the light in front of you, etc. Nobody really needs to see the actual impact, there is very little value in it. This is what an insurance investigator is trying to determine at a later date, usually to determine liability and get out of paying the due diligence.

I had not one but two ambiguous auto accidents, where fault was determined with my dash cam footage.

A friend of mine, whom I gifted and installed the camera, Left it unplugged for some reason, and then collided with a car that's pulling out of a gas station. Pretty clear, right? He's traveling down the road, has 100% right of way etc. Somehow insurance companies ended up splitting responsibility 45-55. So he got 55% of his car's worth, which was totaled by the way. Don't be like my friend.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Y9CA8XMyc

Some of clips are quite scary, some of the starting ones could have gone far worse.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 20, 2023

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
OP hasn't been updated in a decade.

What are the latest and greatest cameras that can

Record the rear
Night vision or good recording quality in low light
Incident trigger recording
1080p
And loop recording

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I like my Viofo A129 Pro duo. The 1080p version is cheaper, if it's still available.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I think at this point the A129 and 139 are the default choices you should look at unless you have a specific reason to be drawn to something else.

The A129 has a screen on the device and is compatible with most of the same accessories as the older A119, but the A139 supports a third interior camera so if you do rideshare or otherwise might care about that it's worth considering..

The 129 is available in base (1080p front), Plus (1440p front) and Pro (4K Front) where the 139 is 1440p in the base model and 4K in the Pro model. They're all 1080p on the remote cameras.

I have a 129 Pro and it has an issue where it'll occasionally freeze the front camera and keep recording audio plus rear, but the front view is just static. It happens most often in hot weather and was more common before a firmware update a few years ago, it's only happened once that I've seen since. Supposedly this is specific to the 4K models, which are also known to overheat in hot climates. 1080p and 1440p models do not do either from what I've found.

Night vision is better on the lower resolution sensors.

Personally I recommend the 129 Plus by default. I wouldn't say don't get the 4K but I also wouldn't say I think the tradeoffs are worth the higher resolution in the daytime.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, pause the video near the end and you can clearly see a brake rotor still bolted to the wheel. The hub gave up, and was probably making all kinds of noise long before it did.

Edit: right as the wheel comes back for more

drat that tire was keen, going back for round 2 like that! :v: (Glad that driver was uninjured though... what a massive flip!)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Y9CA8XMyc

Some of clips are quite scary, some of the starting ones could have gone far worse.

Whew! Almost made it a full 60 seconds before the first MAMA MIA :sweatdrop:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Nocheez posted:

I like my Viofo A129 Pro duo. The 1080p version is cheaper, if it's still available.

I went with a daggone Cobra SC 201.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
The difference between those Italian and the Australian dashcam vids is stark

At least when an Italian driver pulls a bonehead move the parties involved usually manage to avoid a collision....

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ROFLBOT posted:

The difference between those Italian and the Australian dashcam vids is stark

At least when an Italian driver pulls a bonehead move the parties involved usually manage to avoid a collision....

I don't know if italian drivers are more attentive or they do expect weird poo poo but yeah.

Speaking of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81hqeWEGmZs

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

I don't know if italian drivers are more attentive or they do expect weird poo poo but yeah.

Speaking of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81hqeWEGmZs

Italians probably expect other drivers to do something wild because they'd do it themselves too

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Italians probably expect other drivers to do something wild because they'd do it themselves too

Being an Italian in Italy, i did experience a very evident increase in bad drivers, exp after a year and change of lockdown. I have started driving far more defensively than how I used to, since many people do weird poo poo nowadays, like reversing in roundabouts (which i never saw before covid, but now it happened multiple times this year).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Last time I drove in Italy was 2018, and people were just straight up loving suicidal. One guy tried to merge in front of me, into a space barely fit for his car, while making direct eye contact with me at 70 km an hour.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Found out the other day that most, if not all, UK police forces allow you to send them dashcam footage and I might send them the thing I recorded last night on my way home from work. I'd post it here but their page for reporting says you can't post it on the internet and I've no idea how serious they are about that.

I pulled up to a 4 way junction, clear as day, no traffic in front so it was really easy to see from a distance that the light was red which means it was the same on the other side. The guy travelling opposite basically didn't stop even though he had plenty of time to see, and slammed on and stopped in the middle of the junction. He waited a bit, and rather than reversing back behind the line he drove on down the wrong side of the road. The missing the red light is one thing, but to then drive down the wrong side of the road on a road with two lanes for each direction is just madness.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Found out the other day that most, if not all, UK police forces allow you to send them dashcam footage and I might send them the thing I recorded last night on my way home from work. I'd post it here but their page for reporting says you can't post it on the internet and I've no idea how serious they are about that.

I pulled up to a 4 way junction, clear as day, no traffic in front so it was really easy to see from a distance that the light was red which means it was the same on the other side. The guy travelling opposite basically didn't stop even though he had plenty of time to see, and slammed on and stopped in the middle of the junction. He waited a bit, and rather than reversing back behind the line he drove on down the wrong side of the road. The missing the red light is one thing, but to then drive down the wrong side of the road on a road with two lanes for each direction is just madness.

don't be a narc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
godspeed, please do narc on that guy
maybe a ticket will get them to stop driving like an idiot